Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

H2SO4 posted:

Welp, I'm finally taking the plunge into vinyl-land. I hit up a guy on Craigslist selling an absolutely beautiful Pioneer PL-518 that looks very well cared for. Dude has the original packaging and everything. If he gets back to me then it's vintage receiver shopping time.

One of us.. one of us..

My Marantz actually died recently after many many years of service and I haven't had time to open her up and see what is wrong. May have to find a repair shop to take care of it, I just don't have time anymore. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I second the Marantz love. I have a Pioneer SA-7700 that has power for days, but I have a soft spot in my heart for my little Marantz 2010. They're just so drat classy looking.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CannedMacabre posted:

I second the Marantz love. I have a Pioneer SA-7700 that has power for days, but I have a soft spot in my heart for my little Marantz 2010. They're just so drat classy looking.

My 2245 has been a monster for years, but the screws are stripped, the belt is dead, the lights are dead, the Power piston is bent and doesn't actually turn off, the case is chipped/scratched/bent, and the right channel gets static if its been on too long until you turn it off and on again by jamming the bent pin. Part of me thinks it would just be cheaper to go on ebay and buy a new "refurbished" model entirely rather than try to fix this one that hasn't seen a serious repair in years and has pretty much been turned on for 8 years.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I wonder what this could be?

Oh boy.

I think I need to mark this NSFW.

This thing sounds amazing and is drat near in brand new condition. I just grabbed a quick phono preamp and hooked it up to my existing home theater system until I get a proper vintage amp setup.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Very nice! Looks brand new.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I'm looking to get rid of some of my stuff and keep just one turntable. Help me narrow down my choice to one turntable and one cartridge. This is what I have:

Yamaha YP-B2

+ great condition
+ looks nice
+ auto return

Pioneer PL-12D

+ great condition
+ looks nice
- nothing automatic
- weird suspension system inside (foam and springs) which could cause problems later

Pioneer PL-112D
- nothing special to look at
- veneer is peeling in spots
- nothing automatic

Technics SL-23
+ great condition
+ looks cool
+ strobe
- doesn't fit the retro style of my other gear

Sansui FR-D4

+ fully automatic
+ strobe
- dust cover in very rough shape
- looks like poo poo
- auto tonearm struggles to move long distance

I also have the following cartridges which can be swapped around:

• AT95E x3 (two have brand new styluses)
• AT12XE with brand new stylus
• Grado GC cartridge with brand new green stylus

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

wolfbiker posted:

cool turntables

I'd go with the Yamaha. It by far looks the best out of these and has similar specs to the 112D and the Technics. The other Pio's suspension system is most likely out of spec by now as it is. The Sansui beats them all on paper, being direct drive, but as you said it's in rough shape. I'd keep the Grado cartridge also.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I should mention those are just pictures I found online and I didn't bother taking pictures of my actual turntables. I definitely will keep the Grado though. It's quieter than the others and I have to turn my amp up louder because of this, but I don't hear anywhere near the amount of crackles and pops as I do with the ATs. The only thing about the Yamaha is that I have a matching receiver that I'm going to sell and was thinking about bundling the two together. :shrug:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It is with a heavy heart that I've decided to sell my JBL 4410s. They're just not getting the playtime they deserve, and they only really come into their own in a larger room, which I don't have in my small apartment. I'm definitely keeping the Akai AM-2600 amp, just with some other speakers. I just love that thing, with its enormous amount of knobs and switches, and beautiful VU meters.

That said, I am going to miss the old JBL brutes, they may not be the most accurate speakers ever made, but drat they're fun, perfect rock speakers. But I found that I could pretty much replicate their wonderful bass and kick drum hits using my modern system with a tiny bit of EQ, and the modern stuff does a lot of other things so much better.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 10, 2016

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Come on online seller, don't fail me now!

I have no idea how to pick them up or where I'll put them in my apartment, but they are for sale for half of what they usually go for! There will probably be 200 people in line before me to get them :(

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Looks like previous owner was listening to them in a barn

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh man, I'd love a set of active Pentas to go with my MX8000. Awesome speakers!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Shiiiiiit if I can manage to land this deal I'll never want anything ever again! Until the next thing.

One of them needs a new power lead apparently. I've told the seller I want them, and he's looking into freight options. If he can't find anything I'll do the 3 hour drive and ferry each way to pick them up.

Also, I routed the sound from my Beosystem 7000 through the speakers on my MX7000. It's pretty amazing that speakers like that were built into a TV, they sound amazing! (But nothing like what my apartment will hopefully sound like this weekend)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was pleasantly surprised by the sound from my MX8000, too. Very clear and capable of playing ridiculously loud. Obviously the bass is a bit cut off due to the small size (officially they go down to 65Hz, maybe that's a bit optimistic), but there's a nice punch around 100Hz, which is what most people associate with bass response anyway. That's one thing I've noticed, all B&O speakers have a very pleasant mid-bass bump that gives the illusion of deeper bass than the speaker can actually produce. I know most hi-fi speakers have a mid-bass bump, but B&O seems to be particularly adept at it.

If I could find a reasonably-priced Beolab 2 to supplement the built-in speakers, I would be overjoyed, but they're still quite expensive. A cheaper non-B&O 8-10" sub will have to do.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

evobatman posted:

Shiiiiiit if I can manage to land this deal I'll never want anything ever again! Until the next thing.

One of them needs a new power lead apparently. I've told the seller I want them, and he's looking into freight options. If he can't find anything I'll do the 3 hour drive and ferry each way to pick them up.

And the seller sold it to someone who came knocking at his door with $100 more than I had offered :( Considering some white refoamed CX100s that are actually in my city as a consolation prize. They should match my white system nicely

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CX100s are pretty neat, if a bit lean on the bass.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I picked them up, and they're heavy as poo poo!

The cones have been refoamed, but I have to clean the cabinets and fabric before they are photo ready. Thank gently caress I ordered female DIN plugs a while ago too, otherwise it would be pretty long before I could listen to them.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I''ve been collecting HiFi stuff from garage sales and off the curb for years. Most of it is still at my parents and I'll have to get some pics next time I'm over there.

All I have at my house is setup in my garage.

I got the bose 301 series IIIs and the technics amp under the TV at a church rummage sale. They were marked $20 each but there was a funeral the next day so they were ending the sale early and the lady said I could have the amp and speakers for $10 total.

The TV is a Visio that I found on the curb with the remote. I figured it would need new caps. Took it home and plugged it in and it works perfect. It's even got WIFI but I never use it because I've got a WDTV box hooked up that streams my media from in the house.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pretty sweet garage setup, and that Visio TV for free is one hell of a find.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Report from another weekend in stereo hell

I cleaned up my Beovox CX100s with lots and lots of magic erasers, and cleaned the grilles with laundry soap. So many of the clips are broken! Thankfully it seems like the previous owner did a good job refoaming them, so they sound better than they look!

Also in the picture, my $60 perfectly mint Beosound Ouverture (yes I know the doors aren't going to open like that), and a Beomaster 3000-2 I picked up today for $15. I can't get sound from any of the speaker plugs, but the headphone contact sounds good. It also has transformer hum that rivals my wifes magic wand, so I'll sell it or donate it on, since whatever is wrong with it goes above my head.

This is my life

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
On the left in the last pic is this. Brand loving new, never touched by human hands except to take the picture:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A record button, a rewind function, and a 5 band EQ? drat, you would have been king of the block with that clipped to your waist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

A record button, a rewind function, and a 5 band EQ? drat, you would have been king of the block with that clipped to your waist.

Only 4 bands, friend. This isn't the Jesus Walkman you're looking for.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha I think my mind automatically counted 5 as I don't recall having any gear with 4 bands.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

evobatman posted:

On the left in the last pic is this. Brand loving new, never touched by human hands except to take the picture:

Hipster gold!

Seriously though, that is pretty swank.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I'm searching my rear end off for one of those reel tapes that's in the player on the packaging, but they all seem to go for ridiculous money. I don't even want to play it, I just want it as a display piece.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Anyone have any thoughts on Klipsch kg5.2's? I'm looking to trade out some Sansui SP2000's that I've been using. I used to think they sounded alright until I got a pair of Advent/3 small loudspeakers and A/B'd them. Now they just sound like a farty mess. The Advents sound fantastic but they don't have a ton of low end so I'm looking to pair them with some good, inexpensive vintage floor speakers. I saw a pair of the klipsch's on CL for what seems to be a reasonable price - $175. I've got some klipsch bookshelf speakers that I use in kitchen that sound great so I'm inclined to think these would be the way to go but I don't know a bunch about this model line. Yay/nay?

Mandactyl
Jun 1, 2011

A kinder, gentler herpes
Grimey Drawer
Snag them, I had a pair of the 3.2s and they were pretty great, but if you can get them for that price I don't think you will be disappointed.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I'm pretty happy with my 4.5s but they were cheaper than that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I posted in the tech relics thread that I set up my dad's old Dual CS-506 turntable and I've been having a great time. I bought a new generic stylus because I'm pretty sure he never changed the original. Assuming I have the adapter kit (I'm pretty sure I do because it has the original box and there was a bag full of hardware bits), is there any reason why I should switch to a universal 1/2" cartridge? While researching what stylus to get for my cartridge, I saw a lot of people saying to just swap it for a 1/2" cartridge. Will this improve my experience at all or is it just so it's easier to find a replacement stylus down the line?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

evobatman posted:

Report from another weekend in stereo hell

I cleaned up my Beovox CX100s with lots and lots of magic erasers, and cleaned the grilles with laundry soap. So many of the clips are broken! Thankfully it seems like the previous owner did a good job refoaming them, so they sound better than they look!

Also in the picture, my $60 perfectly mint Beosound Ouverture (yes I know the doors aren't going to open like that), and a Beomaster 3000-2 I picked up today for $15. I can't get sound from any of the speaker plugs, but the headphone contact sounds good. It also has transformer hum that rivals my wifes magic wand, so I'll sell it or donate it on, since whatever is wrong with it goes above my head.

This is my life

One time I picked up whatever that B&O beosys component setup you have is at a garage sale for $5. It needed some work on the amp so I traded it to the local Hi-Fi guy for a few hundred worth of other stuff.

I slacked off and never got pics of my random HiFi poo poo but I did find something neat at the thrift shop today.

It's a vintage Huntron Tracker 1005 B1-S component tester that allows you to check components based on their response to generated signals. Not sure 100% how it works yet but for $6 I figured I'd take it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Warning: These next few pics might be NSFW, and you might need to explain that wet spot in your seat to someone.

Tandberg collectors are the craziest bunch.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:eyepop: That's pretty crazy, alright. Much better organized than the JVC/Akai crazy dude I picked up a Techics amp and JBL speakers from.

This vinyl thing is getting out of hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl1ZrEza7uY

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is the op current on cheap/beginner turntables?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

goodness posted:

Is the op current on cheap/beginner turntables?

No; the AT-LP60 is generally considered the standard $100 entry-level turntable these days:

https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Stereo-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/

At the $300 level, the AT-LP120 is the spiritual successor to the SL-1200 mentioned in the OP:
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/

Buying a vintage turntable is still what I recommend to people but that's not always possible, and you probably shouldn't buy one online. But if you can find one locally, you can probably do better for $100 than the LP60.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

wa27 posted:

No; the AT-LP60 is generally considered the standard $100 entry-level turntable these days:

https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Stereo-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/

At the $300 level, the AT-LP120 is the spiritual successor to the SL-1200 mentioned in the OP:
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/

Buying a vintage turntable is still what I recommend to people but that's not always possible, and you probably shouldn't buy one online. But if you can find one locally, you can probably do better for $100 than the LP60.

I'm giving serious thought to the AT-LP120 as my first turntable. As someone who knows nothing about the proper care and feeding of a turntable, what additional accessories (if any) would I want to buy within the first 3 months of ownership?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
A carbon fiber brush for dust is really all you need.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If you're planning on buying a lot of dirty-rear end used records, a velvet cleaning brush is nice to have. I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Styl-Record-Cleaning-System/dp/B00C5N0CTY/

I have a sneaking suspicion the cleaning solution is just rubbing alcohol and water, but nobody can really say for sure. I used to just wash records in the sink but this is more convenient and doesn't make me feel like I'm doing something wrong. Works great if you have some really dirty records. Not necessary at all if you're only buying used or good-quality vinyl though.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I've found a $10 antistatic slipmat to be a pretty nice thing. I don't know if it does anything for sound, but it's nice not to feel sparkling static all over when switching records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

evobatman posted:

I've found a $10 antistatic slipmat to be a pretty nice thing. I don't know if it does anything for sound, but it's nice not to feel sparkling static all over when switching records.

Is that what that is? I thought I was just feeling the music in my soul.

I used to have a decent home phono setup but had to sell it for money reasons. I'm going to pick up the LP60, but am mostly going to be listening on headphones, not through a receiver/speakers. Since the LP60 has a built in preamp, can I just pick up a cheap headphone preamp and be on my merry way?