Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I feel like I have an inordinate number of Cat monkeys for only doing 2 drafts. They're the dregs of almost every pack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Yo MTGO players, I heard that prices went down on MTGO cards when WotC announced the prize changes. Are the booster prices so low because of that? EMN is 1.6, SOI is 1.2, for a set that just rotated. That's crazy! Even Kaladesh packs which just started doing prerelease events are being sold at 3.36 tix, which is far lower than I can ever remember for a set that was just released. Were the prize cuts really that drastic?

I opened a single treasure chest and got a Chandra, Flamecaller which I sold for 6.5 tix, if all the chests are that good we're golden.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Did a couple of pre-release sealed leagues on Modo yesterday, can confirm Jolly Green Gearhulk and Skysovereign are total bullshit.

Edit: In all those matches I never once saw anyone actually make servos with the fabricate mechanic, just seemed far more value to make bigger dudes in the absence of none damage removal spells.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

My local meta has more than its fair share of ad nauseam and bogles. Since I am trying new things and I am in a gently caress it mood, i decided to sleeve up this incredibly narrow sideboard card as a two of.

I am tempted to make this a "fun of" for the gp in a month in the board.

Why not just play an Engineered Explosives? Way less narrow and still very good vs bogles. Unless you don't have one, then I understand not wanting to spend $40.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Skysovereign might be the best first pick since it doesn't commit you color-wise.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Any goons going to GP London? Me and a few friends are going to side events and get stuff signed. Going to be a big one this year, over 2500 people signed up for the GP + the countless people walking in to do other stuff. Hope it's going to be more well run that the previous UK GP I went to which was a shitshow, that's for sure.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Samael posted:

Any goons going to GP London? Me and a few friends are going to side events and get stuff signed. Going to be a big one this year, over 2500 people signed up for the GP + the countless people walking in to do other stuff. Hope it's going to be more well run that the previous UK GP I went to which was a shitshow, that's for sure.

Yeah, I'll be there. Not for the main event though, didn't really fancy the fees this time around. Side events beckon.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Will be doing side events on Sunday, didn't fancy the price of the main event with a mat I don't like the look of, plus I have Oktoberfest on Saturday.

Would a GP be a good place to sell mats? I have some spares from previous GPs and some of SCG's creature collection. Maybe should try the Facebook trading groups again, but got no takers before.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Why not just play an Engineered Explosives? Way less narrow and still very good vs bogles. Unless you don't have one, then I understand not wanting to spend $40.

Engineered explosives is a great sideboard card and i use it. It can't touch leyline though so it's basically a dead draw against ad nauseam.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What about Fracturing Gust? It can get at artifacts too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Star Man posted:

What about Fracturing Gust? It can get at artifacts too.

Boggles and Ad Nausiam will kill you dead before you get to cast it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hellsau posted:

Yo MTGO players, I heard that prices went down on MTGO cards when WotC announced the prize changes. Are the booster prices so low because of that? EMN is 1.6, SOI is 1.2, for a set that just rotated. That's crazy! Even Kaladesh packs which just started doing prerelease events are being sold at 3.36 tix, which is far lower than I can ever remember for a set that was just released. Were the prize cuts really that drastic?

I opened a single treasure chest and got a Chandra, Flamecaller which I sold for 6.5 tix, if all the chests are that good we're golden.

The prize changes were mathed out and it turned out they are a significant EV gain, not a cut. People are just stupid.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
By my reckoning, these are the cards in Standard that perfectly answer Smuggler's Copter. (By that I mean that they are guaranteed to be at least card advantage neutral and to prevent your opponent from getting in a single hit with a copter, even if they have a perfect hand and you are on the draw.)

Ceremonious Rejection
Aether Meltdown
Immolating Glare
Grasp of Darkness
Harnessed Lightning

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

blaise rascal posted:

By my reckoning, these are the cards in Standard that perfectly answer Smuggler's Copter. (By that I mean that they are guaranteed to be at least card advantage neutral and to prevent your opponent from getting in a single hit with a copter, even if they have a perfect hand and you are on the draw.)

Ceremonious Rejection
Aether Meltdown
Immolating Glare
Grasp of Darkness
Harnessed Lightning

Spatial distortion is pretty good right now too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

blaise rascal posted:

Ceremonious Rejection
Aether Meltdown
Immolating Glare
Grasp of Darkness
Harnessed Lightning

Natural State does also, as does Spatial Contortion.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
E: awful app made me accidentally delete this post. My main takeaway is that the only cards that work perfectly on the draw, that don't let your opponent loot, and that don't care about Depala, are Fragmentize, Natural State, Ceremonious Rejection, and Grasp of Darkness.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 6, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

blaise rascal posted:

Ceremonious Rejection
Aether Meltdown
Immolating Glare
Grasp of Darkness
Harnessed Lightning

How do we feel about Authority of the Consuls in control decks against Copter-lead aggro? I've not played the new standard yet, but vehicles sort of grant pseudo haste to new creatures. Besides blunting them a bit with the life gain, they can't use incoming creatures to pilot copters.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

blaise rascal posted:

Ceremonious Rejection
Aether Meltdown
Immolating Glare
Grasp of Darkness
Harnessed Lightning

Aether Meltdown only stops it dealing damage, they still get to loot.

Skywhaler's Shot is what you want.

Blessed Alliance is probably also decent.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mattah posted:

Aether Meltdown only stops it dealing damage, they still get to loot.

Skywhaler's Shot is what you want.

Blessed Alliance is probably also decent.

As much as I was really like skywhaler's shot at first, there is just too much stuff it doesn't hit and taking an entire turn off to do it doesn't seem to fit the meta. Blessed alliance is a pretty flexible option though although you are only going to get over a good player once in a match with the edict.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Angry Grimace posted:

The prize changes were mathed out and it turned out they are a significant EV gain, not a cut. People are just stupid.

You can't blame people for not trusting wizards to not gently caress up mtgo.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I can't decide if I like UG Marvel or Temur Marvel.

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 6, 2016

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

It'll probably still be a gain (I think? who knows...), but the changes were "mathed out" before chests were out and according to numbers that are in no way fixed, right? Seems like any sort of proclamation about EV before people are actually cracking these things is premature.

My big issue with chests was that they weren't tradeable and they pivoted on that pretty fast, so that's cool. I don't even play constructed online, so it really wouldn't have affected me much though.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Angry Grimace posted:

Will this remain true as the chests circulate though?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

80s James Hetfield posted:

I can't decide if I like UG Marvel or Temur Marvel.

You aren't giving anything up by playing Red and get to play Chandra, K Return and Harnessed Lightning.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

You aren't giving anything up by playing Red and get to play Chandra, K Return and Harnessed Lightning.

Holy gently caress your new avatar. You certainly piss people off on the regular.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sickening posted:

Holy gently caress your new avatar. You certainly piss people off on the regular.

Imagine how he posts about Magic, applied to politics.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sickening posted:

mcmagic is a really good poster.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

odiv posted:

It'll probably still be a gain (I think? who knows...), but the changes were "mathed out" before chests were out and according to numbers that are in no way fixed, right? Seems like any sort of proclamation about EV before people are actually cracking these things is premature.

My big issue with chests was that they weren't tradeable and they pivoted on that pretty fast, so that's cool. I don't even play constructed online, so it really wouldn't have affected me much though.

They released the numbers a couple of days ago, which is when people mathed out the corrected numbers. Before that people were assuming you'd get 0 Play Points or something.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

You make one offhand remark about car bombing someone.....

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

One that plays a bunch of energy-giving creatures while the other places no creatures and a few red cards and the other puzzleknot.

They seem like two different monsters so I'm confused what you mean by not giving anything up

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

If someone wants to spend 20 bucks to win a pissing war on a website I'll go ahead and let them. They are the real moron.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Organized Play update! Some of the money quotes:

quote:

For the first time, decklists were collected electronically. The original deadline for submitting the deck list was 7 p.m. local time, and was adjusted to 11:59 p.m. local time after receiving some feedback from the Pro Tour competitors.

We received great feedback from the players and will continue to look at ways to improve the process, primarily to allow players to check their own list after submitting it. In the meantime, we will proceed with electronic decklist submission for Pro Tour Kaladesh with the same deadline of 11:59 p.m. local time.
The Curse of WotC Digital continues!

quote:

In a nutshell, what we did in Sydney was make sure players with incentives (for example, "I'm playing to become the National Champion" or "I'm playing to reach the Top 8") would be randomly paired against each other within their respective score groups.

While this system did reduce the number of concessions, it proved to be far from ideal. First off, it forced the tournament to halt for approximatively 15 minutes. Players commented that at this stage of the tournament, these 15 minutes were really damaging to their experience. Additionally, we realized that our motives were not well understood by the players, and some of them felt it was simply an attempt to reduce the number of players who would reach Platinum.
Can't imagine why they'd think that!

quote:

An assessment of the past season showed that the thresholds we had set were too low, as the change to X-3 cut for advancing to Day Two of a Grand Prix resulted in twice as many Pro Points being distributed compared to the previous year.

We are therefore re-setting the thresholds as follows for the 2016–17 season:
    -Platinum: 52 Pro Points (previously 50)
    -Gold: 35 Pro Points (previously 33)
    -Silver: 20 Pro Points (previously 18)
This change is effective immediately, as it impacts the 2016–17 season.

Other tidbits of note:
    -The size of pro teams is reduced from 9 to 6, and the way team scores will work has been changed
    -The Super Sunday Series is ending
    -Some GP venues were changed, GP Hong Kong is now a thing, and one of GP Vegas' formats was changed from noted bad format Standard to Limited

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Immolating Glare isn't ideal because they get a loot off. It's also a pretty defensive card in general, although maybe that's fine right now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Gee, I just don't understand why people think we're trying to reduce the number of people hitting platinum"

*increases pro points required for platinum*

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
I have been hammering testing this week and just can not settle on a deck.

I have rejected;
UR Thermo builds - just not fast enough, have to spend too much time killing creatures rather than burning.

Unsure about;
GW (Brad Nelson crew deck) - Nice mid/late game but stumbles a bit and can get run over
BW control - WIll be fine as usual when the meta is stable(ish) but at the moments seems random, you get the right cards and smash your opponents... or loose. Wish I could work out a decent mardu build so I could run Radiant Flames.
Jeskai flash (hooglands) liking this but am still totally not convinced about the blue draw/counter spells. Feels like it is trying to play control when it should be lower to the ground.

Usually I have found a pet deck I like by now but not this time, how is everyone else finding testing?

mcmagic posted:

If someone wants to spend 20 bucks to win a pissing war on a website I'll go ahead and let them. They are the real moron.

I like it better than your NRA one to be fair, I think you are a winner!

DoctorOozy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 6, 2016

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

They released the numbers a couple of days ago, which is when people mathed out the corrected numbers. Before that people were assuming you'd get 0 Play Points or something.
Right, but I'm saying the "corrected" numbers were still using values for cards that are out of date. By necessity, obviously. It's not like anyone has a crystal ball.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DoctorOozy posted:

Jeskai flash (hooglands) liking this but am still totally not convinced about the blue draw/counter spells. Feels like it is trying to play control when it should be lower to the ground.

I've been testing a different version of this that runs 4x fevered visions and 4x dimensional infiltrator and 23 lands instead of 26 (and fewer avacyn's because I don't want to spend money on that poo poo). I like it way more than Hooglands list, and it plays like a tempo list, you stick a 2/1 flyer and then protect it with counters and creature removal and slowly plink away. I immediately cut the 4 mana 2 energy draw spell.

T1 Wanderer into T2 rattlechains, into T3 keep counter mana up forever feels pretty good against everything that's not super aggro. And sometimes that T3 counter is a spell queller so you only increase your clock.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 6, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

odiv posted:

Right, but I'm saying the "corrected" numbers were still using values for cards that are out of date. By necessity, obviously. It's not like anyone has a crystal ball.

Right, but the card values going down means that the pack values would go down also, no?

DoctorOozy posted:

I have rejected;
UR Thermo builds - just not fast enough, have to spend too much time killing creatures rather than burning.

Unsure about;
GW (Brad Nelson crew deck) - Nice mid/late game but stumbles a bit and can get run over
BW control - WIll be fine as usual when the meta is stable(ish) but at the moments seems random, you get the right cards and smash your opponents... or loose. Wish I could work out a decent mardu build so I could run Radiant Flames.

Usually I have found a pet deck I like by now but not this time, how is everyone else finding testing?

I like it better than your NRA one to be fair, I think you are a winner!

Temur Emerge requires very few cards from the new set and is quite good. I'd even go so far as to say its pretty inexpensive. Kozilek's Return and Emrakul are like the only expensive cards in it. The Grixis Version that did well last weekend is pretty good too, but Liliana adds a lot of price tag.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 6, 2016

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Stupid question, has anyone noticed a missing common from their boxes?

I was sorting the commons from my box last night, and noticed I only had 1 revolutionary rebuff, which was from my pre-release pool. I didn't get any in my prize packs from that, and from talking with the other people at the store, none can recall seeing one in either of the two drafts since then using those boxes.

It's not a big loss in draft, it's just... weird. Plenty of energy counters though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

I've been testing a different version of this that runs 4x fevered visions and 4x dimensional infiltrator and 23 lands instead of 26 (and fewer avacyn's because I don't want to spend money on that poo poo). I like it way more than Hooglands list, and it plays like a tempo list, you stick a 2/1 flyer and then protect it with counters and creature removal and slowly plink away. I immediately cut the 4 mana 2 energy draw spell.

T1 Wanderer into T2 rattlechains, into T3 keep counter mana up forever feels pretty good against everything that's not super aggro. And sometimes that T3 counter is a spell queller so you only increase your clock.

Do you have a list for this one? What good countermagic exists in standard that you can play?

• Locked thread