Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Evidently the top guilds in Legendary: Game of Heroes have talked amongst themselves about pay-to-win tactics, and, well, um

Descriptions of 19 of the top 20 guilds from the last event posted:

No more spending money on shiny new cards, no event packs, no catalyst packs, no gem spending at all. We are officially on strike against the developers greed!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

modern_warfare_2_boycott.jpg

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Trying once more

Morter posted:

So it's been a while since I've sifted around these kind of threads.

Any good match-3 esque games come out lately? Specifically one that doesn't need a net connection? I've already played most of the mainstays (War Games, Dungeon Raid, YMBAB/10000000, etc...), so I'm just asking if there are any recent gems.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Try this, it's a pretty good match 3

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.berad.wargames_free

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was literally mentioned in the post.

I'm not aware of any good ones recently. There was a Futurama one which was playable but didn't really grab me.

Puzzle Craft is old but was fun for a play through, the sequel got a bit over complicated and had more energy bullshit going on.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Gems of War is pretty much like Puzzle Quest, and has 2 goon guilds that are always full. It's also very generous with premium currency, with a good guild you can go f2p no problem. It's not recent, but it is cross platform with a Steam client as well.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

modern_warfare_2_boycott.jpg

That's about what I expect.

The game does borrow from the Mobage playbook in that event turns are capped, but you can buy unlimited event turns with cash, so if you want to you can dogpile your guild to the top of the leaderboards via credit card. At least until someone else does it even more.

The best part is that the rewards for doing so _aren't even exclusives_. Individuals at the top of the leaderboard can win multiples of the boss at full strength, but even last place in the Legends league gets two copies of a weaker version that can be evolved up to full strength. The guild rewards are... gems, units, gold and evolution components, which are what you'd have to burn through tons of to get anywhere near the top. Which is why I can't blame those who have been doing that finally looking at each other and asking WHAT THE gently caress ARE WE DOING?

(Goon guild = 546th place. We know better.)

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

Locked was probably the wrong word. What I meant was the availability and pricing. The Noblesse heroes are not available anymore and some of the strongest ones out there if I read the chatter correctly. It looks like heroes like Krut and Reina are coming back after all but I'd argue that a character like Krut is super important due to his strength and not really acquirable for a beginning player. And who knows when his island will come around again.

The Noblesse heroes range from bad to top tier, with only one seeing regular play in the highest levels of PVP anymore, and he wasn't paywalled like Seira was. Krut is currently available, and this is the second time his recruit has returned, it's likely to be a relatively regular event. Ditto Reina, who is not top tier.

A lot of the imbalances you remember from your time playing have been alleviated by the addition of more top tier heroes, the metagame at the top of PVP is really diverse compared to what you probably remember.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh unlike this other poo poo in here Dungeon Warfare is like 4 buck and no microtransactions no timegates. Seriously its like listening to stockhome syndrome in here.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Guns X Zombies is a great little anime zombie shooter/bullet hell game. Super :3:, but there are only 2 currencies, and the game is pretty straight forward. Not sure if you need a Japanese google account or not, but TunnelBear is a great VPN app for that, and itself is an all around good thing to have anyways.

Fun as hell. I played it for an hour and a half straight and only stopped to post about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PK7EOWCiGc

Why the vpn? It's available in the US.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

Oh unlike this other poo poo in here Dungeon Warfare is like 4 buck and no microtransactions no timegates. Seriously its like listening to stockhome syndrome in here.

Yeah seriously we are in some weird golden era of amazing games that cost $5 or less and we are all absorb in f2p nonsense.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Where are all these amazing RPGs? All the kemco ones are okay but nothing special. The Square ones are great but nothing new. At least Summoners War and Fantasy War Tactics throw free poo poo at you constantly. Spending no money is totally doable.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Possible, doesnt make me excempt from its constant nag.
I'd rather pay a fair price for a fair game thst have a game feel like a coin op. Coin op made for some real bullshit gameplay thats only goal was gobble more coins.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the pull of the gacha is very powerful

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tunga posted:

That was literally mentioned in the post.

I'm not aware of any good ones recently. There was a Futurama one which was playable but didn't really grab me.

Puzzle Craft is old but was fun for a play through, the sequel got a bit over complicated and had more energy bullshit going on.

Sorry I always remember it as wopr.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the pull of the gacha is very powerful

opening booster packs man. i've relapsed into tcgs because of that feel.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Sky Force Reloaded: is it just me or is level 4 insane difficulty just ridiculously more difficult than it needs to be? I've been farming Level 3 insane for a week now but Level 4 is a pain in my rear end... also Level 5's EMP feels like the biggest gently caress you a game has given me in a while. OH YAY I GOT THE CARD THAT DISABLES THE FORCEFIELD... no, gently caress you.

Am I good playing Banner Saga 2 without playing 1? or is it worth starting from the beginning?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

MMD3 posted:

Am I good playing Banner Saga 2 without playing 1? or is it worth starting from the beginning?

It's probably a good idea to start with the first one. While there's a recap video that does an ok job of filling in all the big events, you'll miss a ton of backstory and there's so many supporting characters you'll probably get a bit lost trying to work out who they are and what role they have to play in the story.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 6, 2016

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

beaner69 posted:

Why the vpn? It's available in the US.

Had no idea. I was trying to get Monster Hunter going on my phone, and while I was digging around the Japanese app store where I found it, I just assumed it was only available there.

Speaking of Japanese games, has anyone seen info on the FFXI Mobile or Final Fantasy Type-0 Online? I read somewhere Type-0 was beta in China and had a western release confirmed, but very little about FFXI, other than a reddit post, which quoting would be basically the internet equivalent of citing Wikipedia in a dissertation.

:chord:

I'll take my Code Red on the veranda.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 6, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MMD3 posted:

Sky Force Reloaded: is it just me or is level 4 insane difficulty just ridiculously more difficult than it needs to be? I've been farming Level 3 insane for a week now but Level 4 is a pain in my rear end... also Level 5's EMP feels like the biggest gently caress you a game has given me in a while. OH YAY I GOT THE CARD THAT DISABLES THE FORCEFIELD... no, gently caress you.

Funny thing is that if you get your teammate in that level (when you collect one of those cubes) and they get hit by the EMP missile...then they lose their weapons, the EMP missile vanishes, and you're free to play a very, very easy level. That's the only way I did the "Collect all people" and "Don't get damaged" objectives on Insane.

Skyforce is seriously a really cool game, I'm glad I spent the couple bucks on the star doubler. With all the work they've put into it like extra levels and features and such, it's definitely worth giving a couple bucks to the devs.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Morpheus posted:

Funny thing is that if you get your teammate in that level (when you collect one of those cubes) and they get hit by the EMP missile...then they lose their weapons, the EMP missile vanishes, and you're free to play a very, very easy level. That's the only way I did the "Collect all people" and "Don't get damaged" objectives on Insane.

Skyforce is seriously a really cool game, I'm glad I spent the couple bucks on the star doubler. With all the work they've put into it like extra levels and features and such, it's definitely worth giving a couple bucks to the devs.

yeah, i've probably spent $4 or $5 on the game so far but it's totally worth it for how many hours I've logged. very well polished game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is that actually Ahnold in the Mobile Strike ads

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

AnonSpore posted:

Yes, he sold out for Mobile Strike.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AnonSpore posted:

It is; the tv commercials have him narrating the whole thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So does anyone know how to do the tournaments in Sky Force Reloaded? I started a new profile on my work phone and it doesn't even have the tournament option (yet?), and like Dex said, we can't find each other anyway.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

So does anyone know how to do the tournaments in Sky Force Reloaded? I started a new profile on my work phone and it doesn't even have the tournament option (yet?), and like Dex said, we can't find each other anyway.
It's hosed, I haven't been able to get more than two people to show up at any given time.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Am I missing something with Cthulhu Realms? I mean I love me some Cthulhu mythos, but man is the game ridiculously complicated. I just tried the tutorial and the point where it leaves you and tells you you should be able to win on my own, I was staring in bafflement at the cards unable to piece anything together.

It's a deck builder, so if you haven't played anything like it before, it's conceptually bizarre.

That said, I love deck builders and was confused by this one, despite the fact that it's from the Star Realms guys, so it's probably more or less a palette swap of that game. I don't have a particular affinity for Cthulhu, so I just moved on from it.

Long story short, unless you love Cthulhu, Star Realms is a better game.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Thank you to whoever recommended dungeon warfare, this game is awesome. Perfect for sitting down and playing or just playing a bit on the train

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Morpheus posted:

:aaa: Granted I'm playing on PS4 ( I really hope they keep it up to date with the original version. The prestige system looks like fun ) but I just instantly assumed it would chuck up two EMP's to gently caress you over.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MMD3 posted:

Just keep leveling up the guns and eventually you can just blow everything up trivially on these early levels. Unlocking the Limp Berserker plane is very helpful too.

Morpheus posted:

I finally did Untouched Insane with a timed Max Firepower card from a gift box, the Octopus mini-rocket plane, and the engineer that ignores the first damage you take. I just blew up every single thing on the level while juking the EMP.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I loving suck rear end at bullet hell games, but Skyforce is keeping my attention longer than I thought it was going to. Thanks for the recommendation. :):respek::)

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

mrkillboy posted:

MAXIMUM CAR is a new pixelated 3D racer that plays a lot like Burnout. Its pretty fun, though it gets a bit silly at times (the game doesn't take itself very seriously).

edit: Protip: turn off the announcer in the settings

This game is really loving fun. Thanks!

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Speaking of bullet hells, Danmaku Death is a really good boss rush style one. It's real hard out of the gate, but the controls are responsive and the patterns are pretty interesting. I'd recommend going into the settings and turning on "rage mode." It lets you skip the death animations.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Is Dungeon Warfare like No Heroes Allowed for the PSP?

If so, I gotta buy that poo poo right now.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Dungeon Warfare is a great game, some of the traps are pretty game breaking which is cool on some of the tougher dungeons.

But it's a battery killer.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I need a good chill puzzle game for my phone that's not Bejeweled or Two Dots to play on a long road trip. I don't mind paying 5-10 bucks for a good game, and hate adds and in-app purchases. Any recommendations?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I really liked Hungry Cat Picross, and Griddlers Plus now that I'm just on the Tuesday puzzles with Hungry Cat.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Blendoku and/or Blendoku 2 are chill as hell and pretty cool.

It's free with IAPs to unlock levels packs and remove adds but it's nothing obnoxious, no energy or currencies or anything so you can just treat it as paying for the game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Suspect Bucket posted:

I need a good chill puzzle game for my phone that's not Bejeweled or Two Dots to play on a long road trip. I don't mind paying 5-10 bucks for a good game, and hate adds and in-app purchases. Any recommendations?

Sherlock Ultimate (well, try Free first). Great game based around deduction. Old DOS-era graphics, but still good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kaser.sherlockfree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I've been slightly addicted to Bloons TD5. Good thing I got it from a Humble Bundle quite a while ago. Used to play it on my tablet which I hardly use these days, but it's still a fun game even if you have absolutely no problem with beating most levels.