Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Kintamarama posted:

Thank you for your input, you have all been very helpful. I'm gonna keep saving for now and wait for an eBay Australia 15%/20% off campaign. They have them fairly regularly. I'll probably just go for whichever happens to be available from a participating store.

Got the 1070 in a 20% off campaign just a couple of weeks ago, so there's my tip for fellow Aussies, you can get some good tech deals during eBay Au's quarterly campaigns.

I mean, it was cheaper for a while just to buy a bloody 1070 on an American website and have it shipped over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013
We're getting off topic here, but it still is cheaper to go with Amazon. The cheapest 1070 on Amazon will cost you $545 shipped, but the cheapest in Oz is $630. The fact the 20% off deal took the one I bought down to $560 is the only reason I didn't Import myself, I mean 15 bux is worth getting it within a few days versus a couple of weeks, and the ease of returning if something goes wrong.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Falken posted:

Not really sure where to post this, so here goes.

Trying to find a wall mount solution for my monitors that would allow me to slide the monitors along a rail, so that for instance monitor 1 could be positioned infront of my simracing seat, which lives just next to my desk. Right now I've got this sorted with a desk clamped arm mount, but I'd like something a little more robust and elegant. Any ideas?

Crazy option https://www.ergomart.com/roller-tracks/horizontal-sliding-roller-track-system.php

MORryde TV40-011H Horizontal Sliding TV Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5D4QVY/

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Most of the sim set ups I've seen sir way lower than a desk so it may be more complicated than a horizontal slider. Also, aren't most of the sim enthusiasts switching to VR head sets?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Dream-seller has pixel perfect X-STAR DP2710's for $189, so I grabbed one, at that price it's hard to resist.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Anyone have any thoughts on the QNIX QHD2710R?

How does it compare to an Asus PB278Q?

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
My 27" 1440p Korean import just died after a couple of years, I'm after at least 27" & 1440p again, what should I buy? I like the idea of 4k but as I only have SLI'd 670's and no real desire to double my cost with a new graphics card as well, would there be anything more sensible?

Begall fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 4, 2016

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
So I just bought the parts to build a new rig, but I'm currently still using the same 1080p TN panel from six years ago. Given that I bought a GTX 1070, I'm definitely at least upgrading to a 1440p/60Hz IPS display. I'm curious if going up to 144Hz with G-Sync is actually worth it. I've never seen it in person, and dropping $750 on a XB271HK on just the promise of buttery-smooth everything feels excessive even though I can technically afford it. Should I just make the hour drive to the closest Micro Center to check one out?

Also, how frequently do the refurb ones go up on Acer's site?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Begall posted:

My 27" 1440p Korean import just died after a couple of years, I'm after at least 27" & 1440p again, what should I buy? I like the idea of 4k but as I only have SLI'd 670's and no real desire to double my cost with a new graphics card as well, would there be anything more sensible?

Make sure it isn't just the power supply. Those tend to be the things that go kaput and are relatively easy/cheap to replace.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Make sure it isn't just the power supply. Those tend to be the things that go kaput and are relatively easy/cheap to replace.

Is that likely to show up as the screen switching back to standby mode while it's in use? Would be good if it was a £20 PSU rather than a £300 screen...

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Begall posted:

Is that likely to show up as the screen switching back to standby mode while it's in use? Would be good if it was a £20 PSU rather than a £300 screen...

Possibly but that sounds more like the video cable.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I cannot for the life of me figure this out. Hear me out

I bought a new GTX 1080, after my 680 burned down. Rip. In the meantime I used my old Radeon 5970. The 1080 has one DVI port, one HDMI and three Display Port

I plugged in the GTX 1080, then noticed that I need other cords / cables adapters to use my two monitors + tv.

My main screen has one Display port, one HDMI and one DVI. It's a standard 1440p monitor
My off screen has two DVI. Old 1920x1200 (16:10) samsung
My TV has HDMI, standard full hd 1920x1080

I don't really care about the TV for now, but would like to get my monitors working together. I tried HDMI to main and DVI to off, and neither work. Then I just replugged DVI into my main, and am using one monitor for now. Today I went and bought a Display Port, and when I plug it into main, it doesn't work at all again. 2nd screen isn't even plugged in.

Is it the three different resolutions loving it up?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

texting my ex posted:

Is it the three different resolutions loving it up?

No, a 1080 should be quite happy spitting out multiple different resolutions.

I know it sounds condescending, but make sure you have fully seated the DisplayPort cable. Assuming the cable isn't damaged, and your card isn't magically hosed up, it should "just work."

Also consider reinstalling the video drivers with a run of DCC beforehand to start as fresh as possible on that front, as well.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

DrDork posted:

No, a 1080 should be quite happy spitting out multiple different resolutions.

I know it sounds condescending, but make sure you have fully seated the DisplayPort cable. Assuming the cable isn't damaged, and your card isn't magically hosed up, it should "just work."

Also consider reinstalling the video drivers with a run of DCC beforehand to start as fresh as possible on that front, as well.

Well it's plugged all the way in when I try it. It's probably not damaged as I just bought the cable today. And the card is rocking everything at 1440p via DVI, so it's definately not damaged... And I did a proper driver removal / reinstall. I dunno

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Begall posted:

I agree with Rexxed. When I got my Korean monitor the video cable which came with it was most likely a Chinese bootleg cable and could not support the higher resolution required but it worked fine with my older lower resolution monitor. The monitor could only turn on into standby mode and it took five pages of google search results to find an answer as the Chinese cables really are hit or miss. The fix cost me $10 and I love my monitor.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I want an arm for my Samsung U28E590D - what's the best deal on an arm / clamp in the UK? Amazonbasics?

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I've been happy with the Amazon basics dual arm I got about a year ago. Didn't really shop around too much to see if it's the best deal though.

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013

Kintamarama posted:

Thank you for your input, you have all been very helpful. I'm gonna keep saving for now and wait for an eBay Australia 15%/20% off campaign. They have them fairly regularly. I'll probably just go for whichever happens to be available from a participating store.

Got the 1070 in a 20% off campaign just a couple of weeks ago, so there's my tip for fellow Aussies, you can get some good tech deals during eBay Au's quarterly campaigns.

Okay, so eBay Au has already put on another 20% off campaign nary a month after the last one, but the XB271HU's from participating stores were already snapped up by the time I realised the campaign was on.

There are still Asus ROG Swift PG279Q's available, the fact that they are still in stock and the Acer's were out off stock probably says it all, and the thread seems to think it's not as good as the Acer, but I saw another monitor that seemed to be in the same league feature-wise as the PG279Q and the XB271HU.

What do you guys know about the AOC AGON AG271QG? I tried googling it, reviews seem positive overall, but I couldn't find direct comparisons to the Acer. It is also the cheapest of the three monitors.

Edit. Found this thread (http://www.overclock.net/t/1602323/aoc-ag271qg-thread-1440p-144hz-gsync-ips/120) and it seems to be people mostly bitching. It could just be confirmation bias though, only the people with problems are posting. Just another wrinkle thrown in.

Kintamarama fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 5, 2016

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Could you guys give me a hand deciding between the following two monitors.

They are both essentially the same price. I can't tell 100% but I think the 24inch one is TN and the 21inch one is IPS. I hear TN is A Bad Time.

Phone posting so not sure if the URLs will come out but they are the Asus VS229HA vs VS247HR.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GGQFO5I/ref=ya_st_dp_summary?th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GGQFO5I/ref=ya_st_dp_summary?th=1&psc=1

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You are correct that the 24" there is TN, and TN monitors generally have kinda crap colors compared to their IPS brothers.

Frankly, though, I wouldn't buy either of them, since I hate both TN and 22" monitors. For a few pounds more you can get an actual 23-24" IPS:

23" with Freesync: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F1PSHVW/
24": https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-24MP58VQ-Sleek-Design-Monitor/dp/B01BFH1712/

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Some other great options for monitors can be found here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ICE&PageSize=36

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

DrDork posted:

You are correct that the 24" there is TN, and TN monitors generally have kinda crap colors compared to their IPS brothers.

Frankly, though, I wouldn't buy either of them, since I hate both TN and 22" monitors. For a few pounds more you can get an actual 23-24" IPS:

23" with Freesync: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F1PSHVW/
24": https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-24MP58VQ-Sleek-Design-Monitor/dp/B01BFH1712/

Went with the 24inch LG.

Thanks!

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I'm really feeling the burn on my BenQ XL2430T purchase last year. I heard that the colors were decent despite being a TN panel, but to this day I can't ever seem to get everything I want without sacrificing the opposite ends in terms of colors/brightness/greys on white backgrounds.

Can anyone recommend a good IPS with low response time and at least 120hz?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Umbreon posted:

I'm really feeling the burn on my BenQ XL2430T purchase last year. I heard that the colors were decent despite being a TN panel, but to this day I can't ever seem to get everything I want without sacrificing the opposite ends in terms of colors/brightness/greys on white backgrounds.

Your best choice there is the Acer XB271HU or Asus MG279Q depending on whether you have a Nvidia or AMD GPU.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Umbreon posted:

Keep an eye on these monitors coming out. The Samsung C24FG70 will be the the only non TN panel with freesync 1080p and 144hz.

https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-cf791/preview/

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Your best choice there is the Acer XB271HU or Asus MG279Q depending on whether you have a Nvidia or AMD GPU.

I've got an Nvidia, so I'll go with that appropriate option. Thanks!

*EDIT*

Nevermind, $800? Hoo boy, the search continues.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 6, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Umbreon posted:

*EDIT*

It's the G-SYNC tax.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Umbreon posted:

*EDIT*

Yeah, unfortunately there are very few high refresh IPS monitors out there and they are all very expensive. If you don't care about Gsync you could just get one of the Freesync ones, Freesync won't work with Nvidia cards but you still get IPS and high refresh for ~$550 instead of ~$750.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Broke my U2412M while moving continents. Thinking about replacing it with another: I like the aspect ratio/res well enough, picture quality/viewing angles are good, input lag is low, and the adjustableness on the stand is nice. Are there any newer competitors around now that would be better?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cicero posted:

Broke my U2412M while moving continents. Thinking about replacing it with another: I like the aspect ratio/res well enough, picture quality/viewing angles are good, input lag is low, and the adjustableness on the stand is nice. Are there any newer competitors around now that would be better?

The U2415 is the latest version of that monitor, it has a much better coating and a somewhat better panel. I have one as my secondary monitor and it's very nice.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

pulled the trigger on an ergotron arm as it was only a bit more than an amazonbasics. excited to try and curb some of the monitor wobble. if this doesn't sort it, it's new desk legs time.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

pulled the trigger on an ergotron arm as it was only a bit more than an amazonbasics. excited to try and curb some of the monitor wobble. if this doesn't sort it, it's new desk legs time.

I have an Ergotron LX and its fantastic. No wobble, easy to assemble and very adjustable. Someone told me the AmazonBasics are just rebranded Ergotrons but I have no idea.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, unfortunately there are very few high refresh IPS monitors out there and they are all very expensive. If you don't care about Gsync you could just get one of the Freesync ones, Freesync won't work with Nvidia cards but you still get IPS and high refresh for ~$550 instead of ~$750.

Speaking of, did we ever get any conclusive evidence of whether or not the XR341CK drops frames on NVidia cards at 75hz?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

I have an Ergotron LX and its fantastic. No wobble, easy to assemble and very adjustable. Someone told me the AmazonBasics are just rebranded Ergotrons but I have no idea.

Legend has it they're the same, but i'd rather pay £15 more and be certain. Ergotron looks nicer, too.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

DrDork posted:

Speaking of, did we ever get any conclusive evidence of whether or not the XR341CK drops frames on NVidia cards at 75hz?

The 34" LG panel, unless equipped with gsync, runs at 60hz on nVidia, period. Same problem if it's AMD and there's no freesync.
You can increase the refresh rate by making a custom resolution but the panel won't run higher than 60hz so frames get dropped since your GPU is sending >60hz.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The U2415 is the latest version of that monitor, it has a much better coating and a somewhat better panel. I have one as my secondary monitor and it's very nice.

Trying to decide if I want the 24" or 27" version of this... or something else entirely

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Begall posted:

When I got mine, it would do something similar and just gently caress up with garbage lines and such sometimes, so before shipping it back a friend offered to take a look and he opened it up and reseated the internal connectors to the panel, and it's been fine for years since.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Would it be stupid to buy a 144Hz FreeSync monitor when you have an Nvidia graphics card? I play games where I can probably peg the FPS at 144fps pretty much all of the time.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Would it be stupid to buy a 144Hz FreeSync monitor when you have an Nvidia graphics card? I play games where I can probably peg the FPS at 144fps pretty much all of the time.

No more stupid than to buy a 144Hz monitor with no adaptive sync at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Lolcano Eruption posted:

FreeSync generally doesn't operate at the higher end of the FPS spectrum anyhow, so no, it'd be fine. *Sync doesn't really start to do much for you until you start slipping down below about 50 FPS.