Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kraps posted:

See but look where it says "Epistolary Novels". I've been looking all over for books like that, and asking people for suggestions "in the style of WWZ" returns poo poo results.

Try "oral history". You'll probably get 80% non-fiction, but it's how WWZ is introduced by the in-fiction "author".

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mister Macys posted:

Try "oral history". You'll probably get 80% non-fiction, but it's how WWZ is introduced by the in-fiction "author".

At the end of Lock-In by Scalzi there's an oral history of the virus in the book. I enjoyed it even more than the book I think.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Kraps posted:

See but look where it says "Epistolary Novels". I've been looking all over for books like that, and asking people for suggestions "in the style of WWZ" returns poo poo results.
You're Welcome.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kraps posted:

asking people for suggestions "in the style of WWZ" returns poo poo results.
Sounds like their suggestions are spot on then

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008

Enfys posted:

Are there other places to pick up audiobooks besides Audible? I'm really getting into listening to them now and picked up a bunch in the last sale, but I'm not a big fan of subscription services.

libro.fm is another choice, they pair up with independent bookstores so if you sign up through one I think they give a bit back to the store for each sale. Their app is pretty decent as a player, though I've had a couple problems downloading specific titles through the app but anything you buy you can straight download as mp3 so it hasn't been too much of an issue

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

Overdrive is easy to use, has a solid app/player, and a good selection. (And can help you get cheap Audible books as noted above)

Hoopla, on the other hand, seems to have an app that was coded by retarded interns. I'd stay well away from their audiobooks.

I've had issues with Hoopla's app and incomplete audiobooks BUT their library and Overdrives are not the same (at least for Massachusetts public library system) so using both gets you a much larger selection. And most of the time it works perfectly fine.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Norm's book is good. I mean, if you like to hear Norm ramble. He can be an acquired taste.

I'm mainly just pointing it out here because comedy books read by the authors are almost always great. No need to worry about getting the delivery wrong in your head and missing a joke.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NmareBfly posted:

Norm's book is good. I mean, if you like to hear Norm ramble. He can be an acquired taste.

I'm mainly just pointing it out here because comedy books read by the authors are almost always great. No need to worry about getting the delivery wrong in your head and missing a joke.

Thank you for this, I just slammed the "Buy for 1 credit" button so fast I think I sprained something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Necronomicon, the unfortunately-titled collection of 19 HP Lovecraft stories, is on sale right now for $5. It has 19 shorts in it, which is amazing value for the price.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

precision posted:

Necronomicon, the unfortunately-titled collection of 19 HP Lovecraft stories, is on sale right now for $5. It has 19 shorts in it, which is amazing value for the price.

Where? It's still full price on Audible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

XBenedict posted:

Where? It's still full price on Audible.

Regular Price:$45.47
Sale Price:$4.95 or 1 Credit

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Necronomicon-Audiobook/B00MNQKYNC/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srImg?qid=1475187006&sr=1-1

There's another, much shorter Necronomicon on there that isn't on sale. Otherwise maybe it's a region thing?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

On the verge of signing up for Audible. Does anyone know if it's possible to download books in portions? Like, if you get a 15 hour book, does it download the entire file to your device, or can you do it in managable sizes? I don't really want to kill my data driving to work.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
You download the file when you're on a wifi network (which takes a few minutes) and play it from your device. I think the largest file I've seen is like 340 MB, so as long as you delete books you're finished with, it's not going to take up that much space.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

On the verge of signing up for Audible. Does anyone know if it's possible to download books in portions? Like, if you get a 15 hour book, does it download the entire file to your device, or can you do it in managable sizes? I don't really want to kill my data driving to work.

You can download in portions (typically 1-4) manually from your library on the website (and stick them in iTunes, for a 2gb Shuffle, say), but the app grabs the whole thing at once.
You can choose audio quality though, which reduces the size.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 5, 2016

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
The Android app has an option for downloading books as either single files or split into many parts. I don't know how well it works (haven't used it much), but the feature is definitely there. I think that if you start a multi-part download, it will just keep downloading parts until it has the whole book, so you'll need to stop it manually once you have enough downloaded.

If it's set to "Only on Wi-Fi", you can still manually start a download I think, it just won't do so automatically.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Awesome, thanks for the info, folks! I'm pretty decided on it now and excited to have something to listen to besides wrestling podcasts. So when you do the deal where you buy credits, how much do those go for?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EdsTeioh posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info, folks! I'm pretty decided on it now and excited to have something to listen to besides wrestling podcasts. So when you do the deal where you buy credits, how much do those go for?

It's usually 3 for $33 or so.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Full price books for the cost of a paperback. :iia:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Rad. Sold. Thanks again guys. Gonna grab some William Gibson and get up on it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Apoffys posted:

The Android app has an option for downloading books as either single files or split into many parts. I don't know how well it works (haven't used it much), but the feature is definitely there. I think that if you start a multi-part download, it will just keep downloading parts until it has the whole book, so you'll need to stop it manually once you have enough downloaded.

If it's set to "Only on Wi-Fi", you can still manually start a download I think, it just won't do so automatically.

Speaking of Audible Android App download settings, it seems like the current version (2.8) has an issue where it doesn't recognize my SD card as a download location. I reverted to the default version and it was detected just fine, but on the current version there's no download location setting. My SD card has a ton of free space, and I want to have all the books I've finished on there. Anybody else run into this?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Do bookmarks sync across devices? For example, I'm listening to something on my work computer, then I want to pick up where I left off on my phone. Is that possible?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Is there any way for Americans to get our grubby yank paws on the Stephen Fry versions of the Harry Potter audiobooks (without resorting to :filez:)?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Speaking of Audible Android App download settings, it seems like the current version (2.8) has an issue where it doesn't recognize my SD card as a download location. I reverted to the default version and it was detected just fine, but on the current version there's no download location setting. My SD card has a ton of free space, and I want to have all the books I've finished on there. Anybody else run into this?

No idea, sorry. I don't have an SD card in my phone.

EdsTeioh posted:

Do bookmarks sync across devices? For example, I'm listening to something on my work computer, then I want to pick up where I left off on my phone. Is that possible?

Yes. It will even sync with the Kindle version I believe, if you feel like switching between audio book and e-book. When you open the app, it will try to sync and offer to let you continue from your "furthest read location". That can take a few seconds, but it works just fine as long as both devices have internet access when you use them.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Don't forget about the Audible channels. You're bound to find something you like on there. I'd listen to more, but I just forget about them.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Apoffys posted:

Yes. It will even sync with the Kindle version I believe, if you feel like switching between audio book and e-book. When you open the app, it will try to sync and offer to let you continue from your "furthest read location". That can take a few seconds, but it works just fine as long as both devices have internet access when you use them.

I actually answered my own question on the way home. This is very much my jam. Anyone else out there like William Gibson? I'm listening to Spook Country right now but I've got my other free credit, so I'm open to more suggestions.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I've only read his Sprawl trilogy, but that was excellent. The first book, Neuromancer, was especially great. I read them on paper/Kindle though, so I don't know how good the audiobook versions are.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

Is there any way for Americans to get our grubby yank paws on the Stephen Fry versions of the Harry Potter audiobooks (without resorting to :filez:)?

You can buy them on incredibly expensive CD from Amazon, or cheaper, but sketchier (and probably :filez:) from ebay

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Apoffys posted:

I've only read his Sprawl trilogy, but that was excellent. The first book, Neuromancer, was especially great. I read them on paper/Kindle though, so I don't know how good the audiobook versions are.

Neuromancer is probably my favorite book ever. My old roommate swore up and down that he had a cassette copy of it with Gibson actually reading it, but I can't find any evidence of that actually existing.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.discogs.com/William-Gibson-Neuromancer/release/1032711

It certainly looks like a real thing that was made, oddly enough a version abridged by someone else and with incidental music by U2. Finding a copy looks like it could be difficult though, a quick search only turned up a few expensive used copies.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Apoffys posted:

https://www.discogs.com/William-Gibson-Neuromancer/release/1032711

It certainly looks like a real thing that was made, oddly enough a version abridged by someone else and with incidental music by U2. Finding a copy looks like it could be difficult though, a quick search only turned up a few expensive used copies.

drat. I thought he was full of poo poo this whole time.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just a heads up the Prime channels actually do use a non-trivial amount of data, and the books can't be downloaded, only streamed.

This is from streaming 9 hours out of the 11 total hours in Ringworld

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 6, 2016

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Well drat. Good to know. How are you digging Ringworld?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

EdsTeioh posted:

Well drat. Good to know. How are you digging Ringworld?
Love the concept, but the book feels very 1970s - complete with misogyny, incorrect guesses at technological advances, and an abundance of leisuretime sex

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

1970s - an abundance of leisuretime sex

But you repeat yourself.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

EdsTeioh posted:

Rad. Sold. Thanks again guys. Gonna grab some William Gibson and get up on it.
Try Bruce Sterling. Holy Fire is fun and an easy intro, or just try a short story anthology. Anything but Zeitgeist because it deserves context.

Also check out Whispersynch where you buy a cheap ebook then add in the audio version for a couple bucks. Also it keeps your spot saved and updated between text and audio.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 7, 2016

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I've always meant to give Sterling a shot.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

EdsTeioh posted:

drat. I thought he was full of poo poo this whole time.

Not only does it exist, it's kind of amazing. Reposting thoughts on it from 2012:

Gibson's abridged reading of Neuromancer was the first audiobook I ever listened to at the age of ten. Listening to it now after becoming a bit of an audiobook snob and reading the full version of Neuromancer many, many times, I can see the flaws in the Gibson reading. Even so, something about it just works. The abridgement turns a book that's already a bit chaotic and disorienting into a fever dream, and Gibson's bizarre accent and cadence just feel "Sprawl" in a way that people who try to read it more like a neo-noir don't manage. Nostalgia is clearly at work here because it is an objectively bad abridgement and a bad-to-decent reading, but there's something about it that speaks to me.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Kestral posted:

Not only does it exist, it's kind of amazing. Reposting thoughts on it from 2012:

Gibson's abridged reading of Neuromancer was the first audiobook I ever listened to at the age of ten. Listening to it now after becoming a bit of an audiobook snob and reading the full version of Neuromancer many, many times, I can see the flaws in the Gibson reading. Even so, something about it just works. The abridgement turns a book that's already a bit chaotic and disorienting into a fever dream, and Gibson's bizarre accent and cadence just feel "Sprawl" in a way that people who try to read it more like a neo-noir don't manage. Nostalgia is clearly at work here because it is an objectively bad abridgement and a bad-to-decent reading, but there's something about it that speaks to me.

He still swears that his was unabridged. I'm going to listen to this though; that sounds awesome.

Edit: Not sure if this counts as :filez: or not, but here's a link to it: http://www.bearcave.com/bookrev/neuromancer/neuromancer_audio.html

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 7, 2016

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Also check out Whispersynch where you buy a cheap ebook then add in the audio version for a couple bucks. Also it keeps your spot saved and updated between text and audio.

Pro tip: If your local library checks out e-books through Amazon, if the book you check out has an audio companion, you can buy it at the discounted price. That's my best "so good it's almost stealing" tip.

Library card is free. Pay your loving late fees and make it rain audiobooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EdsTeioh posted:

He still swears that his was unabridged. I'm going to listen to this though; that sounds awesome.

Edit: Not sure if this counts as :filez: or not, but here's a link to it: http://www.bearcave.com/bookrev/neuromancer/neuromancer_audio.html

You can thank Island Records for never re-issuing this.

Also, it's always amazing to me when people realize that Gibson is a Southerner (why do you think he puts Knoxville in most of his novels?)