Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
30 seems fine to me, but I also only fly/own one ship at a time.

With that being said, when I outfit, there's probably going to be a lot of buyback and not a lot of module storage. Storage itself, for me, will probably be for weapons and maybe thrusters/FSDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

LCL-Dead posted:

With that being said, when I outfit, there's probably going to be a lot of buyback and not a lot of module storage. Storage itself, for me, will probably be for weapons and maybe thrusters/FSDs.

It'll be nice to be able to store some of the more expensive optional modules like swapping between cargo and big fuel scoops based on my immediate need, but yeah, I don't foresee a lot of use of module storage.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

orcane posted:

I'm surprised it doesn't cost money or devalues module sale prices to be honest :v:

Gonna go start a petition just to spite you whiners

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BitBasher posted:

[I don't understand your point at all. the numbers in your post are just as arbitrary as the ones the dev picked.]

Yes, if you literally think I thought Frontier considered 3 or 0,3 modules, I can see how you could be confused. Hint: That was just some mild hyperbole on my part. I thought by going below one module, which is logically impossible, I would make this absolutely clear.

I wanted to point out how ridiculously low this module space is, it's like Frontier is actively making fun of the players with this.

LCL-Dead posted:

And as soon you find a second ship you want to fly, you'll notice your module space has run out and you will regret being so short-sighted.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

LCL-Dead posted:

Of course it's loving fine. I keep maybe a dozen pimped out ships and I'll never fill 30 slots, because I buy a ship, tune it for its intended purpose, then leave it alone, like any good neurotypical. But if you're truly a spergy hoarder, you can still just keep your poo poo on ships and cycle components into your module hotbox whenever you like. I mean, 30 is an arbitrary number but literally any number would be, ugggh i mean loving hell is there anything that Elite goons won't throw a shitfit about?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Trustworthy posted:

Of course it's loving fine. I keep maybe a dozen pimped out ships and I'll never fill 30 slots, because I buy a ship, tune it for its intended purpose, then leave it alone, like any good neurotypical. But if you're truly a spergy hoarder, you can still just keep your poo poo on ships and cycle components into your module hotbox whenever you like. I mean, 30 is an arbitrary number but literally any number would be, ugggh i mean loving hell is there anything that Elite goons won't throw a shitfit about?

Nice meltdown. :smugdog:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Trustworthy posted:

loving hell is there anything that Elite goons won't throw a shitfit about?

Not really. It's loving obnoxious.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Trustworthy posted:

You must be fun at parties.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I'm mildly indifferent about the actual number, but consistency would be nice. Why would there be a module limit, but you can store an unlimited number of full-sized ships at stations? Are they going to put in a ship storage limit too?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

2spooky4me posted:

On one hand I think people are overestimating how much storage they actually need but 30 seems like an arbitrarily low number.

For me the problem is that you can have 255 ships, 30 per station, all equipped with their 32 modules or whatever (so 8160 slots). But if you want to shed duplicate ships (like me) you can't because the limit is so low that it's close to worthless :shrug:

I was expecting to be able to keep entire builds aside for a couple of ships (cutter and asp in particular) and I can't with 30.

Just my Asp would take up 24 of those 30. With engineering there's no way you're gonna just sell your poo poo. It seems very poorly thought out is all.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 6, 2016

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Natsuumi posted:

I'm mildly indifferent about the actual number, but consistency would be nice. Why would there be a module limit, but you can store an unlimited number of full-sized ships at stations? Are they going to put in a ship storage limit too?

There is a limit to the number of ships in a station since the first beta but no one noticed or cared. As far as consistency, you can only store 30 ships.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
i mean, who wants to store more than 1 module per ship anyways amirite

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Just for the record, I currently have one nice Tier 5 FSD and like four modded weapons stored on placeholder ships; that's 100% of the poo poo I've judged to be worth hoarding since Engineers came out. I feel like that's a pretty average experience for players "hardcore" enough to care about module storage at all.

What bullshit are you dudes even packing away en masse? Are y'all upgrading components one tier at a time, saving all the previous models just in case you need them someday? Why? Low tier stuff is fairly quick and easy to make, while higher tier stuff is time consuming enough that you're not going to engineer it until you have a specific keeper-ship you want to use it on.

I just feel like storing leftover modules naturally lends itself to being a once-in-a-while thing for particular amazing components, not a mainstay of everyday gameplay...? And apparently Braben agrees...?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 6, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

And as soon you find a second ship you want to fly, you'll notice your module space has run out and you will regret being so short-sighted.

Fighers don't use modules though??

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I've been playing this game probably just as long as you have, or very close to that (since premium beta) and still haven't found a need to have a second ship on standby.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
You mean you don't have a trader Anaconda, a mining Anaconda, an exploring Anaconda, a PVE Anaconda and a PVP Anaconda? Grind more poors.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

2spooky4me posted:

Not really. It's loving obnoxious.

:nallears:

INTJ Mastermind posted:

You mean you don't have a trader Anaconda, a mining Anaconda, an exploring Anaconda, a PVE Anaconda and a PVP Anaconda? Grind more poors.

That's obnoxious as gently caress. Of course not.

I like being somewhat poor by goon standards. Keeps the game exciting when I know I've only got 1, maybe 2 rebuys available on my autism chariot.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Natsuumi posted:

Considering they want to give us enough module space to deal with one ship, they'd probably be willing to reduce ship storage to a limit of 1. Just so no-one can complain about having not enough module space. :v:

Chrysophylax posted:

For me the problem is that you can have 255 ships, 30 per station, all equipped with their 32 modules or whatever (so 8160 slots). But if you want to shed duplicate ships (like me) you can't because the limit is so low that it's close to worthless :shrug:

I was expecting to be able to keep entire builds aside for a couple of ships (cutter and asp in particular) and I can't with 30.

Just my Asp would take up 24 of those 30. With engineering there's no way you're gonna just sell your poo poo. It seems very poorly thought out is all.

Eh, it's stupid, but by now I'm numb to :frontear:s dumb decisions. At least we can stores some modules. And since even the brown sea is fighting against this limit, we'll probably get more space. I'll just mock Frontier some more for their weird decision and then move on to the next stupid thing they'll do. :shrug:

LCL-Dead posted:

I've been playing this game probably just as long as you have, or very close to that (since premium beta) and still haven't found a need to have a second ship on standby.

So if Frontier introduces a ship limit of 1 you'd be OK with that, too? Since you don't need a second ship and this clearly means no-one else would want to, either? :v:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

So if Frontier introduces a ship limit of 1 you'd be OK with that, too? Since you don't need a second ship and this clearly means no-one else would want to, either? :v:

Don't you spout your brown sea logic at me. I said I was fine with 30, not that 30 was more than enough or that the number absolutely needed to be higher or lower.

And yes, I'd be fine with a one ship limit, as long as I can change that ship as needed, since I only outfit and fly one ship at a time.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Hang on I just fell asleep, the idea of performing every role in a min-maxed Anaconda 24/7 instead of building a diverse fleet of cool ships with purpose and personality is literally the most boring Elite experience I can imagine.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Hmm. What do I need to store to convert my murderconda into an exploraconda?

7 engineered weapons
1 engineered thruster (will always have either 5d or 7a on the boat)
1 engineered powerplant
1 engineered shield
2 engineered cell banks
4 engineered shield boosters
1 engineered fuel scoop (apparently these can be souped up in 2.2)

That's 17. What do I need to store to mine?

1 refinery
1-2 collector modules (normally have one of these anyway cause gently caress scooping in a conda)
1 prospector module

The mining lasers count against the limit above. That's 21 max I'll probably need to store. 30 seems fine.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Don't you spout your brown sea logic at me. I said I was fine with 30, not that 30 was more than enough or that the number absolutely needed to be higher or lower.

And yes, I'd be fine with a one ship limit, as long as I can change that ship as needed, since I only outfit and fly one ship at a time.

Chill out, I was just making a joke. And to be honest, I would be fine with a one ship limit, too. Since I have tons of other games and not enough free time to play them all. Deinstalling Elite would free up a lot of time for those other games

(It's also a typically brown sea thing to loudly proclaim I am fine with this and I am the arbiter of truth and so shall it be, by the way.)

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Chill out, I was just making a joke. And to be honest, I would be fine with a one ship limit, too. Since I have tons of other games and not enough free time to play them all. Deinstalling Elite would free up a lot of time for those other games

(It's also a typically brown sea thing to loudly proclaim I am fine with this and I am the arbiter of truth and so shall it be, by the way.)

I'm horrible at reading internet sarcasm and realizing that it is what it is. I'm chill.

I surf the brown sea all day to subtly troll the writhing masses and, due to such, am well aware of that line of logic.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Aethernet posted:

Hmm. What do I need to store to convert my murderconda into an exploraconda?

7 engineered weapons
1 engineered thruster (will always have either 5d or 7a on the boat)
1 engineered powerplant
1 engineered shield
2 engineered cell banks
4 engineered shield boosters
1 engineered fuel scoop (apparently these can be souped up in 2.2)

That's 17. What do I need to store to mine?

1 refinery
1-2 collector modules (normally have one of these anyway cause gently caress scooping in a conda)
1 prospector module

The mining lasers count against the limit above. That's 21 max I'll probably need to store. 30 seems fine.

I see you, padding your numbers with non-engineerable components that you could just buy at any decent station!

edit: Also if you're regularly performing major overhauls like this, maybe invest in a second ship? If you've got an Anaconda; it doesn't take that long to be able to afford another. I dunno man, by forcing a highly engineered ship to flip-flip between opposite roles on a frequent basis, you're kind of fighting against the sort of thoughtful, planned specialization that Engineers attempts to foster. Maybe you're just making problems for yourself...?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 6, 2016

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Trustworthy posted:

I see you, padding your numbers with non-engineerable components that you could just buy at any decent station!

edit: Also if you're regularly performing major overhauls like this, maybe invest in a second ship? If you've got an Anaconda; it doesn't take that long to be able to afford another. I dunno man, by forcing a highly engineered ship to flip-flip between opposite roles on a frequent basis, you're kind of fighting against the sort of thoughtful, planned specialization that Engineers attempts to foster. Maybe you're just making problems for yourself...?

The entire point for a lot of us, brown sea included, was to avoid having multiple ships.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mike the TV posted:

There is a limit to the number of ships in a station since the first beta but no one noticed or cared. As far as consistency, you can only store 30 ships.

Huh. That makes me wonder if they're doing storage by just jury rigging the shipyard system and the numbers carried over?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

I'd far rather save up for a Corvette to be honest. I only explore once every few months, so occasional re-kitting is fine. I'm thinking of converting my Python into a full-time miner, which does mean stripping the engineered MCs off it for my Anaconda - but I don't trust the game not to crash during the process, so proper storage will be dead handy.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Chrysophylax posted:

The entire point for a lot of us, brown sea included, was to avoid having multiple ships.

Does this still apply if the 10% loss on modules comes back? Storing expensive modules then makes sense to avoid millions in costs/losses just swapping roles.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Aethernet posted:

I'd far rather save up for a Corvette to be honest. I only explore once every few months, so occasional re-kitting is fine. I'm thinking of converting my Python into a full-time miner, which does mean stripping the engineered MCs off it for my Anaconda - but I don't trust the game not to crash during the process, so proper storage will be dead handy.

All my obnoxious arguments aside, I've had a heavily armored Python as my dedicated mining scow for ages, and it's fuckin' great. I've cycled other ships into that role--iCourier wasn't bad--but I always ended up coming back to the Python as my favorite. Besides being tough and really looking the role of a rough-and-tumble metal-mover, the capacity is perfect for me. Every single time I start to get bored with my current mining outing, boop, my cargo bay's full and I can head on home. Occasionally I'll have to dump some limpets to make room in the bay, but that's literally the only issue I've had with the thing.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

legooolas posted:

Does this still apply if the 10% loss on modules comes back?

Hopefully it doesn't. One might want to experiment with a gun and not store it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If they're reintroducing the 10% loss on components, it would be easier to just sell a ship than try to get those credits back.

I mean I sometimes just get a taxihauler to get to Yongmart to buy a new ship and parts.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mike the TV posted:

No one cares probably because it's 30 ships per station whereas it's 30 modules per account

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

There really isn't any reason for there to be a 30 module limit but it doesn't stop the tempest in the teakettle from being hilarious either.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

2spooky4me posted:

There really isn't any reason for there to be a 30 module limit but it doesn't stop the tempest in the teakettle from being hilarious either.

You may be reading too much into people's posts, hth (goodbye wordfilters!).

As an example it bothers me way more that the gold paintjobs are gone than whatever happens on beta, :frontear: will live up to its name anyway.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

orcane posted:

You may be reading too much into people's posts, hth (goodbye wordfilters!).

As an example it bothers me way more that the gold paintjobs are gone than whatever happens on beta, :frontear: will live up to its name anyway.

ok

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

You know, I don't really give a poo poo about how many modules I can store, 30 would be plenty enough for me but I can get rich people having multiple top-tier ships feel limited. 100 sounds like a point where everybody should be quite happy if they really want it to be limited - that'd be your top 5 modules for 20 ships, or pretty much all modules for 5 ships.

The really, really important thing is that this storage is accessible from anywhere and not station-based otherwise it will be just as useless as the multi-million ship transfer fees.

... it is station-based, isn't it? :frontear:

Edit from the brown sea:

"I voted leave it at 30, though my own personal variant would be to remove module storage all together, along with ship transfer."
:qqsay:

Edit 2:

"Up to 30 per station. Because you have storage space per station, rented from the controlling faction when you reach friendly, for 10 mil CR per slot / per week, deducted from your digital wallet automatically.
You have no credits in the wallet to cover the rent, you lose the slots and the stored modules."
:goonsay:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 6, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

I'm glad we agree.

Also I just bought an imperial courier which is pretty cool. It's the biggest faction ship I can see myself getting TBH, next one is 4 ranks of mailman missions away and the first 3 were bad enough :(

orcane fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 6, 2016

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

:allears:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I agree 30 is probably more than sufficient for most players, including myself, but it's also arbitrary and dumb to have an account wide limit, especially so low. I can understand hoarders wanting more slots and I can see myself approaching the limit over an extended period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

I agree 30 is probably more than sufficient for most players, including myself, but it's also arbitrary and dumb to have an account wide limit, especially so low. I can understand hoarders wanting more slots and I can see myself approaching the limit over an extended period of time.

:nallears:, apparently

• Locked thread