Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

well why not posted:

This is just how things work in the age of DLC, subscription models and microtransactions. It sucks.

I didn't really think about it in this context, but this might be pretty apt. $12 bucks for launch date release copy, $15 for the expansion pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

well why not posted:

This is just how things work in the age of DLC, subscription models and microtransactions. It sucks.

Director's cuts have existed since home video has existed, don't be ridiculous.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Drifter posted:

I honestly can't imagine how to make SUicide Squad a good movie with fifteen or twenty extra minutes. It was just so lackluster.

I'm really interested in hearing what you guys think about it, however once it's out.

But yeah, I'm tired of director's cuts of these movies. I loved BvS (and MoS), but paying 15 or 20 bucks to watch a goddamn movie and then them expecting me to pay another 15 or 20 bucks to watch a 'better' version of it in disc is getting pretty loving lame. It's starting to feel less wrong to just pirate the fucker on theater release and then buy the bluray to get the 'full experience'. (I know that pirating is wrong anyway yadda yadda)

I think Suicide Squad could use a little breathing room and some smoother editing, there was definitely some stuff I thought was choppy and there were some good scenes and a solid enough underlying story. One of the big "cuts" was obviously the Harley/Deadshot romance and apparently the bar scene was cut drastically.

But yeah I mean if you didn't like it at all, it's obviously not worth it to rewatch hoping it will be better. I liked BvS a lot even in the theater so wad going to buy it anyway - I actually thought the ultimate cut was a little weaker. Suicide Squad I will probably only rent which is cheaper anyway and I will probably have a friend or two over so that works out to a lot cheaper than a movie ticket anyway. There are a bunch of ways to see these movies between "pay full price twice" and "steal poo poo": rent* (potentially splitting the cost with friends), wait for premium channel or Netflix, make friends with a movie buff who buys everything and borrow their copy, I'm probably missing some options here.

*apparently the red box near me is 1.64 for DVDs and 3.27 for Blu Ray so it's definitely not breaking the bank. This is in my neighborhood in Chicago so I don't know if that means shits cheaper since there's tons of locations in walking distance or more expensive since I live in yuppy-land

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Longer than that even

Electromax
May 6, 2007
'Extended' is a carefully chosen descriptor over 'Director's Cut', 'Uncut', 'Unrated', other popular terms for the same concept in recent years. Director's Cut or Uncut might imply the theatrical was lacking or imperfect in some way that is being corrected.

Wiki suggests the practice was popularized in the 1970s. Perhaps it happens more on a 'planned' basis now, at least for raunchy comedies that count on big red UNRATED labels on the DVDs with the title over a naked lady's chest or whatever as a sales booster, but sometimes it was just a ratings management thing. I don't recall BvS theatrical much, but IIRC they're just adding scenes as opposed to re-editing or rearranging existing stuff like you see with some of the Blade Runner/Alien 3 versions.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm not sure how an extended cut would work with Suicide Squad, imo, the biggest problem I had with it was that the back half's Escape From New York tone and the front half's Pop Punk Music Video tone didn't mesh together very well and I don't know how just adding scenes would fix that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I think his point was more that it is becoming ever more commonplace to have "extended editions" instead of just "deleted scenes". The actual truth of that might be where I (and the op) are probably mistaken though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm not sure how an extended cut would work with Suicide Squad, imo, the biggest problem I had with it was that the back half's Escape From New York tone and the front half's Pop Punk Music Video tone didn't mesh together very well and I don't know how just adding scenes would fix that.
Maybe they reworked part of that as well. If this is the Ayer cut, it might have the musical selection toned back a bit. Not sure if it is in fact the Ayer version though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXfHZ3AhcCc&t=30s

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jimbot posted:

If Warner doesn't want 3-3.5 hour superhero films then they shouldn't be rushing to include multiple iconic characters in a single film in a new shared universe. Batman v Superman was hamstrung from the onset.

I disagree with this. I can't help but think of something like the Justice League cartoon that can cram a deceptively large amount of plot into a 44 minute episode, even when they lowered the episode length to 22 minutes. Or the original Batman and Superman cartoon movie that was something like 60 minutes long and contained somehow even more plot than BvS and has an excellent Joker and Harley performance, alongside Luthor and Mercy.

My point is it can be done, and without losing anything.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

For a micro story using currently existing characters who are often one-note personalities or perspectives, sure. But over the course of that entire Justice League cartoon, characters have very little growth and their powers varied depending on what the story called for. Very little in the Justice League cartoon was as interesting as what was shown in the DC films and those things that were, often weren't about the actual Justice League characters.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Okay, well, I guess I'm not seeing Wonder Woman in theaters.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jimbot posted:

For a micro story using currently existing characters who are often one-note personalities or perspectives, sure. But over the course of that entire Justice League cartoon, characters have very little growth and their powers varied depending on what the story called for. Very little in the Justice League cartoon was as interesting as what was shown in the DC films and those things that were, often weren't about the actual Justice League characters.

Gonna have to disagree on basically all counts there. But to be fair that just speaks to how good the Justice League cartoon was.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Gonna have to disagree on basically all counts there. But to be fair that just speaks to how good the Justice League cartoon was.
Have you actually gone and rewatched the JL cartoon sine you were twelve? It really relies on ALL the previous 5-7 years of cartoons before it. JUST alone it has pretty shallow characters over an episode or three.

And honestly Snakes, you're goddamned smoking crack cocaine if you say that the BatmanSuperman TV Show movie had more plot than BvS. Boatloads of Crack. It had more robots exploding, maybe.

Pirate Jet posted:

Okay, well, I guess I'm not seeing Wonder Woman in theaters.

This guy gets it. :colbert:

Can't support my boys over at DC because I'm sick of this poo poo. :argh:
:madmax:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 5, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New Dr. Strange TV spot with some ear-piercing sound design and uǝʍ ɟooʇɐƃǝ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evlaiJefPLQ

Violator
May 15, 2003

Aren't these DC Extended Editions actually better for the consumer? It used to be you'd buy the DVD and then six months later you'd have to buy whatever updated version (Extended, Director's, Uncut, etc.) they put out. Now the initial release includes both versions of the film so it's a win-win. (Outside, obviously, of seeing the original vision on the big screen.)

Didn't Ayer say the theatrical version was the best version and the version he wanted to make? That makes it sound like some stuff has been put back in that wasn't intended. I haven't seen the film, so I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Violator posted:

Didn't Ayer say the theatrical version was the best version and the version he wanted to make? That makes it sound like some stuff has been put back in that wasn't intended. I haven't seen the film, so I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Yuip. He's said that the theatrical version is the exact film he wanted to make.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Drifter posted:

Yuip. He's said that the theatrical version is the exact film he wanted to make.

Did anybody actually believe him?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Why shouldn't they believe him? What about Suicide Squad receiving a home video-exclusive extended edition is different than any other movie that receives a home video-exclusive extended edition?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I'm David Ayer and I approve this message

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Why shouldn't they believe him? What about Suicide Squad receiving a home video-exclusive extended edition is different than any other movie that receives a home video-exclusive extended edition?

Because it did well enough to get a Special Edition.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Because it did well enough to get a Special Edition.

Well then how do you explain the Ghostbusters 2016 Special Edition

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It did bad enough to deserve the special edition.

I saw it and its not very good and doesn't help the film at all. Just a buncha dumb improv poo poo.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/DHRMfj0.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/vCwXr5h.gifv

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

ElNarez posted:

I can't wait for people to suddenly say this is the cut that made the movie good, when actually it was good all along.
I don't even care, I just want more people to be able to enjoy it as I did, so if the longer cuts helps someone do that, win-win.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

God drat. I mean, you don't have to be so loving brutal. :ohdear:

:laugh:
Putting CW up against BvS like that is like putting a 12 year old kid up against Mayweather in the ring.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drifter posted:

God drat. I mean, you don't have to be so loving brutal. :ohdear:

:laugh:
Putting CW up against BvS like that is like putting a 12 year old kid up against Mayweather in the ring.

That opening was the best part of BvS. Too bad about the rest.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As far as I'm concerned, it's not fair to oppose those scenes because they have very different intent. The point of that scene in CW is how cute Vision looks in a sweater.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I'm the news reporter slowly zooming in on the dead little girl on live TV.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm the sense of smug satisfaction the directors felt for pulling off that subtext-filled placement of Tony Stark.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Avengers are just soooooo concerned. Man.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I still can't help but laugh when I think about how dumb Bruce Wayne's employee friend was for not leaving the building earlier in the scene.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It gave me more of a captain going down with the ship feel, and him making sure people got out.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Waynecorp doors lock from the outside.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

well why not posted:

I'm the sense of smug satisfaction the directors felt for pulling off that subtext-filled placement of Tony Stark.

No they film it like a TV show, that's just where RDJ sat down when the director said 'alright let's get this scene over with'.

I still can't help but laugh when I think about how dumb Bruce Wayne's employee friend was for not leaving the building earlier in the scene.

More than that, WTF is up with all the people standing still while Batman is on the cellphone? Do they not see the building getting shredded by space lasers a block away? Run you idiots!

Electromax fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 6, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Really, Bruce Wayne's horror in that scene comes from the realization that the corporate work culture he has fostered at WayneCorp is compelling an elderly and possibly senile employee to ensure the sanctity of company property and their public image while, outside, the world is literally ending.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

was that shot of people getting hit by the waves from the helicarrier crashing originally in winter soldier? i like it but i don't remember it there at all

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Casualties of the September 11 attacks posted:

In the moments after Flight 11 struck the North Tower, the roughly 8,000 people on the floors below the point of impact (the 93rd to 99th floors) were faced with a harrowing scenario. The towers of the World Trade Center complex had not been designed to facilitate a mass evacuation of everybody in the buildings, and in each tower there were only three narrow stairwells descending to the ground level. Many people began to evacuate via the stairs on their own, while others chose to wait for instructions from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Another hindrance to the evacuation of the World Trade Center was that as the planes struck, the force of the impact caused the buildings to shift enough to jam doors in their frames, trapping dozens of people throughout the building, mostly on the floors closer to the impact zone. As evacuees descended down the staircases in the North Tower, they were directed to descend to the concourse level beneath the World Trade Center complex, where the mall was located.

Within moments of Flight 11's impact, the Port Authority issued a complete evacuation of the North Tower. Meanwhile, in the South Tower, many people saw what had happened in the North Tower and chose to evacuate as a precaution. However, the major hindrance to this process was that for the seventeen minutes between the impacts of Flight 11 and Flight 175, it had not yet been determined that a terrorist attack was unfolding, and as a result the Port Authority in the South Tower spread the word via the building's intercom system and security guards for workers in the South Tower to remain in their offices.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

well why not posted:

Waynecorp doors lock from the outside.

Otherwise the criminals could just walk right out!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

An observer more than two or three blocks away from the destruction would feel the ground shaking, see some blue light, and hear that weird pulse...and not much else.

The Daily Planet people don't initially leave either, and when they do destruction gets rained down on them (also they were wrong to leave, as the building survives the incident just fine)

Like, it's really silly to judge people for panicking in the face of an alien gravity beam weapon + military jet assault going on over their heads. Honestly a no-win situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, if I looked out my window and saw poo poo exploding and falling everywhere I'd feel OK about staying indoors. The waynecorp building seems fairly unscathed until Superman crashed directly into it. Not a lot of time to escape after that. Zod started lazer beaming basically right away.

Say what you will about BvS, but that shot of Ben running against the cloud is amazing. It makes me want a BvS / Force Majeure mashup.

• Locked thread