Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Someone I know who is an astronomically huge Apple and Steve Jobs fan boy, who vocally supported the no 3.5mm jack Courage, posted on Facebook yesterday that he's probably getting a Pixel instead of an iPhone 7.

So there's at least one person out there besides Android nerds who is impressed by the Pixel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Every time I look at a pic of a Pixel, I'm impressed by that bottom bezel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'd accept the bottom bezel if it was IP68 :(

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Can anyone really still say this thing is actually based on the a9? The amount of actual design changes between the two is really startling when you realize they still look exactly the loving same. I just can't understand.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

nerdrum posted:

Can anyone really still say this thing is actually based on the a9? The amount of actual design changes between the two is really startling when you realize they still look exactly the loving same. I just can't understand.

In 2004 I went to school for industrial design. One of our projects was to design a cell phone (of the future!). Back then the Motorola RAZR was the hot phone to have so pretty much all our phones looked like it. Man, if I had known all phones would just end up being aluminum slabs with varied combinations of camera bumps, antenna lines, and front bezel sizes...

Actually, I think mine was some stupid looking Matrix-esque slider phone. Probably why I failed hard out of that program. For fun I should dig through my old drawings and see if I still have it somewhere.

E: Remember when having the smallest phone was a status symbol? I had a Motorola C350 that was less than 4 inches tall. :iia:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 6, 2016

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nerdrum posted:

Isn't Google claiming that they themselves created the phone without anyone else's help? :v: I wonder how HTC feels about that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

nerdrum posted:

Turns out phones look mostly the same.

After seeing the detailed breakdowns and close up pictures, it doesn't share any components with any current HTC designs.

The back is obviously unique even down to the subtle increase in thickness near the top.

The frame is unique. No HTC designs have the same edges. Front plate? Bezel seems similar to the A9 on the Pixel, but obviously not on the Pixel XL since the size is different. Barring that, not a single cutout is the same. So, the best you can say is one of the two models might have started with a slab of gorilla glass 4 of roughly the same dimensions.

Obviously, none of internals are even remotely the same.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Isn't Google claiming that they themselves created the phone without anyone else's help? :v: I wonder how HTC feels about that.

Exactly the same way Foxconn does with the iPhone since the relationship type is the same.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Turns out phones look mostly the same.

After seeing the detailed breakdowns and close up pictures, it doesn't share any components with any current HTC designs.

The back is obviously unique even down to the subtle increase in thickness near the top.

The frame is unique. No HTC designs have the same edges. Front plate? Bezel seems similar to the A9 on the Pixel, but obviously not on the Pixel XL since the size is different. Barring that, not a single cutout is the same. So, the best you can say is one of the two models might have started with a slab of gorilla glass 4 of roughly the same dimensions.

Obviously, none of internals are even remotely the same.

Exactly the same way Foxconn does with the iPhone since the relationship type is the same.

Except it's the board throwing themselves off the roof and not the production employees

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Given how similar it looks to HTC's design language, I would probably say they're a bit more involved in design than Foxxconn is with iPhones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FAUXTON posted:

Except it's the board throwing themselves off the roof and not the production employees

Good news is, if HTC somehow evaporates over the next year, it shouldn't matter as far as support goes. Google should be able to take these same phone specs and go to any ODM to make it.

That's one of the largest things about this relationship. The Google Store has historically had a wishy washy support structure in place for their Nexus phones. Sometimes they take care of you by swapping out with a refurbished device, sometimes they refer you back to the manufacturer (see calls to do something about the Nexus 5x charger being out of spec.)

This is a Google Phone through and through. It isn't being supported by HTC. Even when it comes to repairs, it's likely some other 3rd party that would be doing them for Google. With this phone, there will never be a situation where google punts to the brand listed on the back of the device because there is none.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Does anyone think the blues will come back in stock at some point or are they sold out forever, being "limited edition" and all?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LifeSizePotato posted:

Does anyone think the blues will come back in stock at some point or are they sold out forever, being "limited edition" and all?

It's really just looking like the "limited" part of it is the fact that it's only going to be US exclusive for awhile. They've already confirmed it will be showing up in Europe at some point.

Now, if they offer the blue in 128gb down the line, I'm going to burn down their headquarters since they didn't do it at launch.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bull3964 posted:

It's really just looking like the "limited" part of it is the fact that it's only going to be US exclusive for awhile. They've already confirmed it will be showing up in Europe at some point.

Now, if they offer the blue in 128gb down the line, I'm going to burn down their headquarters since they didn't do it at launch.

If it's like the Nexus 5, you can turn it blue later. My white Nexus 5 became a black Nexus 5 when I replaced the screen (and rear cover). I ordered the white screen, though, so the speaker grille is still visible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doubt it will be that easy with a unibody design though.

I'm over it. I still would have chosen it, but I have a blue back on my Moto X Pure right now and I find that, well, I hardly ever see it. When I'm using the phone, I'm looking at the screen. I don't often see the back of it. I could always get a case that has color in it for the rare instances in which I throw a case on the phone.

I've never had a phone with a white bezel before though, so I decided to go that route for something different.

I can't wait until the review units get out there and a full dive is done. I've seen bits and pieces of various videos of little tweaks the phones have and I really am starting to come around to them being more than a sum of their parts. For example, the new launcher supports app shortcuts if you long press an icon. I could see that being very useful for stuff like email where you could long press to launch directly into a specific action like compose without every really having to launch the app (similar to the enhanced notifications.) Google maps could have a long press action to navigate home. Little things like that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

For example, the new launcher supports app shortcuts if you long press an icon. I could see that being very useful for stuff like email where you could long press to launch directly into a specific action like compose without every really having to launch the app (similar to the enhanced notifications.) Google maps could have a long press action to navigate home. Little things like that.

We finally get to steal something from iOS!

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

So, between Samsung's Notebombs, Google's Last Year's Phones for This Year's iPhone Prices (and their brick your old Nexus software updates, you naughty cheapass you), and Apple's LOL WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH HEADPHONE JACKS AMIRITE, I've picked literally The Worst Year to decide I need to start buying smartphones for GPS and 2FA That Doesn't Suck, haven't I?

goddamn it, what's wrong with my little go phone i don't expect much from my pocket phone ffs

To be honest, I think I'll just stick with my Huawei P9 - it's a great phone in my opinion.

Relatively up to date with security updates (currently running Android 6.0.1 with the 1. September 2016 update).

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I've got a note3 that is still good although I need a new battery, and probably delete a ton of apps.

I'm hoping that either magic leap can replace my phone next year or Samsung comes out with their foldable phone/tablet.

I was going to pre-order a pixel xl but the Internet hates me and won't let me buy one. I take that as a wait until next year, stupid, from God.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Even if the design is a little derivative, the black Pixel is one good looking phone.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The shared plan only helps Google Music subs, right? They don't help with Movies and app purchase, right?

From awhile back, but doesn't seem anyone answered so...

You can add someone to your family on the Play Store (Settings->Family->Manage family members), and then share Apps&Games/Movies&TV/Books (separate options for each category) purchases with them, as long as the developer has allowed it. Some of my apps do, some don't. Unified remote does, Authenticator+ does not. The Family Plan for Google Music is that and YouTube Red, it's great even with two people, let alone more. And as a bonus it can be active on 10 devices at once, so you don't run into more niche cases like: Listen to Music on a tab, watch a thing on YouTube, unpause Music -> can't play active on multiple devices, due to the latency in it realizing your YouTube music video or whatever was done.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DemonMage posted:

as long as the developer has allowed it
This is only necessary for purchases made before the launch of Family Sharing. Purchases made since are automatically eligible for sharing and the developer can't turn it off.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is the 24/7 support available with all Pixel phones, or only if you have the protection plan?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Is the 24/7 support available with all Pixel phones, or only if you have the protection plan?
From what I've seen it just comes with the phone and works. It's Google's attempt at being Apple without a high street presence.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So generally financing a phone through monthly payments isn't great due to interest but it seems that because Google doesn't charge interest it might make more sense to do that with the new pixel phones. Thoughts?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So generally financing a phone through monthly payments isn't great due to interest but it seems that because Google doesn't charge interest it might make more sense to do that with the new pixel phones. Thoughts?

Where do you live? No reputable carrier in the US has like ever charged interest. Financing a phone has always been a zero interest loan.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The phone's value depreciates over time, so if you want to flip it in a year when the Pixel 2 comes out you should buy it outright

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Sorry if this has been asked/answered a billion times, but an unlocked Pixel should work fine on T-Mobile, right? I just swap the LTE SIM card out of my current phone and put the new IMEI (or whatever) on my account page?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Literally about to drop the cash on a oneplus3 and then realise that it's nearly 4 weeks shipping at the moment. Fortune pisses on me.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Shannow posted:

Literally about to drop the cash on a oneplus3 and then realise that it's nearly 4 weeks shipping at the moment. Fortune pisses on me.

I think everyone had the same idea you had after the Pixel announcement.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Shannow posted:

Luckily for some reason Finland's second biggest operator sells oneplus3 directly. Their nearest shop had lots of phones in stock so I just walked in and bought one for 399€.

Pixel in Finland will probably be like 800€+ after tax etc. and I'm not dropping that kind of money for a disposable gadget. Especially when the manufacturer year after year axes support of old products. Rip google reader. Also not cool at all that so many features are Pixel specific.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

EugeneJ posted:

The phone's value depreciates over time, so if you want to flip it in a year when the Pixel 2 comes out you should buy it outright

I'm pretty sure you can always pay it off early. There's no downside to taking the payment plan besides the check on you credit, though paying it off will actually help your credit score.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm pretty sure you can always pay it off early. There's no downside to taking the payment plan besides the check on you credit, though paying it off will actually help your credit score.

My credit score is 815, and when I did the check it said that it couldn't give me results and would follow up in 5-7 days. Strange.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's easy to forget that Nexus phones were not always cheap. Just checked my Amazon order history to see what I paid for a Galaxy Nexus. £470 in February 2012, wow. If you'd ask me I would have said it was like £300. I didn't regret that purchase one bit though.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Mogomra posted:

I think everyone had the same idea you had after the Pixel announcement.

Yeah, looks like. To add insult to injury as well it's went up £20 since the £ plummeted after the brexit vote.

And to add to the maelstrom of confusion, there's an ex-display p9 for £379 on ebay.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Sorry if this has been asked/answered a billion times, but an unlocked Pixel should work fine on T-Mobile, right? I just swap the LTE SIM card out of my current phone and put the new IMEI (or whatever) on my account page?

You should only need to swap the SIM card.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Shannow posted:

gently caress piss I was about to do exactly the same after deciding between a 6P and this. You can pay £336 upfront and get it on O2 but their plans are poo poo. My giffgaff one is only £12 per month. Not changing to a £21pm O2 one.

It's £100 more on Amazon as well. Guess I have to hope my power button doesn't try and gently caress me again for another month

any ideas if the cases they sell with them have textured/rubber/non-slip backs?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 6, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's no downside to taking the payment plan besides the check on you credit, though paying it off will actually help your credit score.
I know the original question was about financing through Google but if someone's curious about Verizon's payment plan, then as far as I know neither of these statements apply. There's no credit check and there's no reporting of payments to your credit report. Maybe if you haven't been a customer with them for long they'd rely on some sort of credit bureau report, but they seem to deem credit worthiness based on their own billing history.

Edit: also anyone interested in going through Verizon should see if they can use the iPhone trade-in promo toward the Pixel. The values have dropped $100 after the promo was scaled back on 9/30, but they're still pretty high. An iPhone 6 from 2 years ago is worth $550 to Verizon if you put a new phone on their payment plans. An iPhone 5 from 4 years ago is worth $300 at last check. Everyone's got a relative or friend with an iPhone 5 rotting in a drawer somewhere.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 6, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just noticed the pixel product page mentions an RGB notification LED. I haven't had a phone with one of those in a loooooong time. I hope you can turn it off. Those things make phones look so dated. What is this, a 2008 blackberry?

Hopefully it still has the black and white notification preview thingy my Nexus 6 has.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I know the original question was about financing through Google but if someone's curious about Verizon's payment plan, then as far as I know neither of these statements apply. There's no credit check and there's no reporting of payments to your credit report. Maybe if you haven't been a customer with them for long they'd rely on some sort of credit bureau report, but they seem to deem credit worthiness based on their own billing history.

Yep, that's definitely the case with Verizon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just keep in mind that if you DO go with one through Verizon, it will have a locked bootloader and some preloaded apps. I'm pretty sure the apps will be uninstallable, but the bootloader will remain locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

I just noticed the pixel product page mentions an RGB notification LED. I haven't had a phone with one of those in a loooooong time. I hope you can turn it off. Those things make phones look so dated. What is this, a 2008 blackberry?

Hopefully it still has the black and white notification preview thingy my Nexus 6 has.

Notification lights are awesome imo, all phones should have them.