Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Starting a convoy from behind and then triggering a race so I can chase someone in the slightly slower interceptor is F U N!

There really needs to be a cops and robbers mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Would you please ask DasHoe to share the tears for me? I really miss them.

Of course!

Thief posted:

spun another horizon edition car:

:patriot:

I love how the throttle body linkages visibly move like they are supposed to on the car's with big honkin' blowers. I know they did that in FH2 on the Toretto Charger, but its just nice to see that little touch.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Can you drift in real life with a steering wheel? Okay then there's probably nothing wrong with the wheel support.

what the jesusing christ :psypop:

DogonCrook posted:

Turn 10 and playground games are completely separate companies, something to keep in mind i guess. Forza 6 is the first time Ive seen either company respond to customer feedback and patch in an entirely new feature based on feedback (ability to filter models for races in single player). Before that they tended to wait for a new release if hadn't been planned.

And as i understand it playground games gets to borrow tech from turn 10 so if ffb sucks in forza it will suck in horizon till turn 10 figures it out.

Turn 10 also patched in passing indicators into Forza 6 which I assume had a lot to do with feedback. Granted this was not an entirely new feature, but it was one a lot of people wanted to return.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yo the FFB in this is pretty bad with a wheel

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Wheel Chat: I have a Thrustmaster TX setup with clutch and six gear shifter. Turns out I race 2x better with a controller, especially in Horizon games. It's just so much easier to feather the throttle when the triggers give you vibration feedback, whereas with pedals you get nothing.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Horizon isn't made for wheels, in the same way Need for Speed games really aren't meant for wheels.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
FFB has never been good in any Forza game. I can catch slides in all kinds of cars in different sims, I've never caught a slide with a wheel in any Forza game.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

for all your border patrol needs :siren:

:siren:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cojawfee posted:

FFB has never been good in any Forza game. I can catch slides in all kinds of cars in different sims, I've never caught a slide with a wheel in any Forza game.

The FFB in 6 I didn't find unbearable like this. Thankfully the rumble on the xbone controller is really good.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Can you drift in real life with a steering wheel? Okay then there's probably nothing wrong with the wheel support.

What happens if the answer to this is yes?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Tomie knows me posted:

Then you better post youtubes so I can critque, and enjoy them :)

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
:siren: The only paint you need for the ford. :siren:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tomie knows me posted:

Then you probably won't have any trouble doing it in Forza. Like Endbuster said it's not exactly a 1:1 translation because you don't have the associated feelings of "my weight is balanced" in the rear end and you have to rely on other cues and indicators, and of course it's all about practice. Most people have been using controllers to play vidja a lot longer than they've been using wheel peripherals, and there's a huge learning curve to using a wheel effectively in video games just like there is to learning to control a drift in real life.

Post the youtubes!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have never been able to drift in any racing games with any type of controller. It makes me sad!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

I got my 360 wheel about midway through FM3's life so I drove FM4 exclusively with a wheel and consistently led the drift leaderboards in the club. It was a bit tricky with the lovely Microsoft wheel but once I upgraded to Fanatec a few months in to FM4 having the clutch just made it amazing. Horizon 1 was definitely less accurate, but again I used the wheel only and never had problems.

FM5/6 I never had a wheel for because Microsoft are dicks.

Now that Fanatec support has supposedly been added to FH3 and Apex I need to bring my PC upstairs and give this a shot again.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I have never been able to drift in any racing games with any type of controller. It makes me sad!

The trigger vibration on Xbox One really helps IMO.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'll admit that setting the wheel to 270 degrees allowed me to drift just fine. A realistic range of motion has never worked well with Forza.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Cojawfee posted:

I'll admit that setting the wheel to 270 degrees allowed me to drift just fine. A realistic range of motion has never worked well with Forza.

This helped me overcome the fact I can't actually gently caress with the camber of the car realistically. So doing a 270 degree instead of 900 helped make up for it a bit.

I still prefer a controller anyway.

This poo poo isn't project cars or whatever.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

No argument there. I know they claimed 900 support but it was never good. With a bunch of tweaking I managed to make 540 feel reasonable, but it's definitely clear that they didn't put effort in to making anything higher than 270 work well.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Post the youtubes!

you need to post yours, too

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Endbuster posted:

I love how the throttle body linkages visibly move like they are supposed to on the car's with big honkin' blowers. I know they did that in FH2 on the Toretto Charger, but its just nice to see that little touch.

yeah, i drive the mad max car around a lot during free roam and it keeps things interesting when half your screen is covered by the engine

speaking of hood mods, i tried to do a basic recreation of my half-assed hood design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8T8jNLDCJA

:mediocre:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OhsH posted:

I'll show u mine if u show me urs

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
mine have my real name plz dont doxx me

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OhsH posted:

mine have my real name plz dont doxx me

Are you playing forza now that's on pc m8?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
The Goliath race is hella fun. The AI seems exaggeratedly retarded on it though, I ended up lapping them at the finish line (2 laps). I've got them on Above Average and some of the races are KINDA close, but this was a joke.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

OhsH posted:

https://vimeo.com/150190642

go to 0:36 for the drifting

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You play forza irl?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
No, I drive in cockpit mode in Forza with a Fanatec wheel and IRL I use the farthest back helicopter camera and a controller

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

All I see is a SIIIIIIK turn

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Where is the drift? I see you turn around.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
:thejoke:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
the only joke is you are posting

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Drifting on the public road is considered ill-advised and I don't have any footage that has the good audio from the track. Sorry to have failed you, thread.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
mostly why i was hoping for some track vids or somethin. Please don't do dumb poo poo on public roads.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I didn't have the current camera setup the last time I had tires that were ready to be destroyed on a track but these are getting close. I'll film it properly.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
my collection of Horizon Edition cars is gettin out of control:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
What's that, Horizon DJ? A 10 minute classical skill song?

I guess I'll do this a bunch of times and get 5M skill points and a shitload of XP. Thanks buddy!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

How the poo poo are you gettin' million point skillchains, is that from drifting or some other arcane thing i dont understand?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
It's all about the combos and the bonus skill things. Easiest way is to just find an open area with a bunch of the bushes and keep drifting/wreckage/air over and over again.

The bonus things, like skill chain combos, landscaping, trashman, wrecking ball, etc. help get the points up extra quickly.

That photo was after a 100K point combo with a 12X multiplier from the skill song being active (doubles the multiplier) and I have the "multiplier goes up to 6X" perk. I did the same thing 4 times in a row during the song and stopped once it was over a 1M points because I get too nervous about doing something dumb and losing the whole thing.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Just had a blat around Surfers with the new geforce drivers... not much difference :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

BCRock posted:

What's that, Horizon DJ? A 10 minute classical skill song?

I guess I'll do this a bunch of times and get 5M skill points and a shitload of XP. Thanks buddy!

Take note that you can only get a maximum of 3 skill points per combo, so getting a million+ chain has no benefit over something around 300k. Better to stop and let it end and then start a new one.

• Locked thread