Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Kalli posted:

I think this was linked a few days ago, but I finally got around to reading it, and this article on Belichick with a ton of quotes from people he worked with is a pretty drat good read: http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17703210/new-england-patriots-coach-bill-belichick-greatest-enigma-sports

The Phil Savage quotes are probably the best

i like reading about BB shaming and emotionally crushing his players

quote:

Matt Cassel: My rookie year, I got crushed in the back by a corner blitz against the Giants. We're playing them the next year in the last preseason game. He asks me, 'OK, Cassel, what front do they like to bring the corner blitz from?' I had looked it up the night before, anticipating it. I said, 'Coach, it's an over.' And he goes, 'Brady?' Well, you know immediately when he goes to the next guy: 'Oh, no. Oh, no.' And Brady says, 'An under.' And he goes, 'Brady's right. I don't want to have to send your mother another note that says, 'Dear Mrs. Cassel, we regret to inform you that your son got killed being a dumbass.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Kalli posted:

Imagine the NFL didn't have the direct tv deal.

What do you think they'd try to charge fans to stream just their team's games.

I'm betting at least $250 a year.

$199 for your team, $299 for your division, $399 for the league.

I'm curious if they'll ever do it, even though they should. But between the way they want to minimize financial risk (the basically farm out all of their operations to just collect checks) and the repercussions it would have on their broadcast deals, it's going to take at least another few years for them to actually consider it.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I wonder if the NFL is still sticking with their "there isn't enough bandwidth to give everyone a flawless online experience" excuse they were going with a few years ago. Clearly they just want to extort ATT/DirecTV for as money as they can for as long as they can.

I would love to not have to pretend to a globe trotter just so I can watch the 49ers poo poo the bed every week. The International version of GamePass is an amazing product, and everyone should be able to have access to it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aye Doc posted:

This owns, though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This owns, though.

It's a shame he didn't have to write that note though.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
You'd be so much better off charging something like $5 or $10 for a game on your phone or your pad, or on that Korean Air flight I was on where they channeled some meaningless AFC east game and the passengers went absolutely nuts.

You're not producing a movie or anything creatively based. Nobody is pirating your stuff. Treat us like adults. I just want to watch the game.

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

Kalli posted:

Imagine the NFL didn't have the direct tv deal.

What do you think they'd try to charge fans to stream just their team's games.

I'm betting at least $250 a year.

poo poo, I'd pay this if it was a guaranteed uninterrupted, HD Stream of all the games. For a lot of people who aren't computer-savvy the only other option is to go to a sports bar any time your team isn't on, and you'd rack that up pretty quickly buying beers and lunch.

Blarfk fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 6, 2016

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This owns, though.

i was being sincere!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/06/bills-reportedly-have-a-trump-related-schism/

quote:

In a season of national anthem protests, not much has been said among NFL players about the most divisive national campaign in history. Until now.

Mike Freeman of BleacherReport.com writes that the Bills locker room has become fractured regarding coach Rex Ryan’s open support of Donald Trump.

“Rex is such an open-minded guy, a really good person,” an unnamed Bills player told Freeman. “But the fact he could back someone as closed-minded as Trump genuinely shocked me.”

Said another unnamed Bills player, “I see Trump as someone who is hostile to people of color, and the fact that Rex supports him made me look at him completely differently, and not in a positive way.”

Ryan declined to comment for Freeman’s story, but one Bills player opted to go on the record to support Rex, and Trump.

“I think that he can help this nation get back to a world superpower,” guard Richie Incognito told Freeman. “Where I think he could help is putting us first again and having that — it’s my mentality, too — having that tough attitude where you put America first and everyone’s thinking we’re the greatest nation in the world. Don’t mess with America. That toughness is where I identify with him.”

:lol: Incognito

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

whypick1 posted:

ESPN making their channels so ungodly expensive to the providers, and therefore subscribers, is part of the goddamn problem.

I wish I could get channels a-la-carte, but that's never loving happening because of every party involved.

You're not able to get SlingTV?

My wife and I are looking into it for the end of the year when we get our Apple TV. Right now we just have internet and local TV. So we get most football and then I use ESPN through my X-Box One and I use my mom's AT&T log-in. But SlingTV is supposed to get you ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

I hate the deference given to most Belichickisms, but this is funny.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I would actually be curious to see how many people have DirectTV only because of Sunday ticket and what percentage of their subscriber base it is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

pubic works project posted:

My wife and I are looking into it for the end of the year when we get our Apple TV. Right now we just have internet and local TV. So we get most football and then I use ESPN through my X-Box One and I use my mom's AT&T log-in. But SlingTV is supposed to get you ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3.

Not sure about sling, but PSVue is 35.99 a month, you get most of the ESPNS, the ability to login for online streaming stuff, and you can purchase Red Zone.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've done the cable cut and watch with an antenna. The games look really good in 720p on my TV and while there's points where it looks imperfect, it beats the price of paying for cable.

Granted, I can't watch MNF (or worse, the Pac-12 network so I'm usually at a bar for UW games, and even worse - most bars use DirecTV, which doesn't carry Pac-12), but it's so easy to watch highlights instead.

And if I recall correctly, presidential election years usually show a drop in NFL ratings.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MacheteZombie posted:

Not sure about sling, but PSVue is 35.99 a month, you get most of the ESPNS, the ability to login for online streaming stuff, and you can purchase Red Zone.

Yeah Sling is 20 a month for the basic which gets you 3 ESPN channels. We're probably going to do the $40 option because I think it gives us FS1 and 2 and the local Fox Sports here which will allow me to watch the Pacers.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Yeah Sling is 20 a month for the basic which gets you 3 ESPN channels. We're probably going to do the $40 option because I think it gives us FS1 and 2 and the local Fox Sports here which will allow me to watch the Pacers.

I have sling gold and blue + sports and it's been really great so far. If, however, you're running on a mac with sierra, make sure you google/install the compatibility fix - I had big time sling video slowdown till I did.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
So a few things about ratings here, because I think that most people, including many in the press and an alarming number of people I worked with at multiple TV networks, don't really understand how ratings are measured, calculated, or reported.

To track viewers, Nielsen maintains a panel of about 25,000 households across the United States, which is more or less representative of the population based on Census estimates for geography and demographics like age, gender, household income, and ethnicity. These households have a piece of technology called a Set Meter, which is a small device that connects to the TV that gathers viewing habits, while smaller devices called People Meters allow viewers to specify who's watching at any given time (This is how they track demo viewership). In addition to this, they also have those households maintain viewer diaries on the shows they watch and when.

Nielsen also has some online measurement stuff, via a separate panel, but that isn't connected to their metered household panel (though they do some modeling work on the back end to attempt to connect TV viewership and online behavior).

To create a household Average Audience (AA) rating, you take the total number of households that watched 6+ minutes of a show over some time period and divide that by the total number of households in the network's Universe, or the number of homes that have that network (so if we're talking ESPN and Monday Night football, the total number of homes with cable, more or less). Similarly, you can do ratings for P18-49 by substituting people in that demo for households.

The other, much-less reported number that never gets talked about is Share, which is the total number of viewing households/people divided by the number of households/people in the network's universe watching TV at the time. While ratings are very season-dependent (fewer people watch TV in the summer), Shares are not. TV Executives don't really like shares though, because they think they can convince people to stay home and watch TV or some poo poo. These don't get reported very often, so it's really hard to tell without insider data if the problem is that people just aren't watching as much TV, or if they're watching other stuff.

A few things to note as a result of this process, and some thoughts:

- Illegal streams don't really affect ratings. They may affect actual viewership, but the number of Nielsen homes that watch illegal streams is likely to be incredibly small and biased toward TV viewership generally. It may affect actual viewers, but the "actual viewership" number Nielsen puts out is a projection based on their ratings measurement tools, and so ignores factors that don't affect their measured households. Nielsen's rating systems are also notorious for over-valuing "C" and "D" counties, e.g. the boonies, which is how you get insane ratings for shows like Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory.

Nielsen also can't measure the illegal streaming (or any streaming) activity from their TV sample, so even if that's happening, they can't say if that's what was going on. They can only hope to connect the dots with their online panel via modeling, if there's enough data to make that connection and they are able to track the illegal streaming activity.

- Nielsen doesn't report on Cord Cutters, either. Nielsen used to track a small number of households that don't have cable, but in 2014 they opted to stop tracking those households from ratings measurement, primarily because the major networks didn't want to hear that poo poo. So Nielsen doesn't really report on the behavior of cord-cutting households directly anymore, but they do track increases/declines in cable subscribers, because each cable network is responsible for telling Nielsen how many subscribers it has (so it can get properly-calculated ratings).

- As a result, Legal streams probably don't affect ratings much either, since everyone in the Nielsen reported sample has cable, when someone in a Nielsen household watches a stream, it's probably because they weren't at their TVs at the time anyways, or weren't likely to watch the televised game. The most likely scenario for this is watching an out-of-market game, which will be rare. The other scenarios don't make much sense, like someone opting to watch a game on Sling.tv or their phone instead of on ESPN the channel, which is mostly a worse experience.

- The Presidential Debate definitely contributed - the Debate did huge ratings (and was watchable on 4 different networks), and that definitely cost MNF this past week. It also didn't help that the matchup was super regional (Falcons/Saints).

- Declining overall TV viewership among young demos is probably *the* contributing factor. There's been less published on it, but standard TV viewership has been declining steadily among P18-49, most notably among P18-24. (link: http://www.marketingcharts.com/television/are-young-people-watching-less-tv-24817/) This decline will continue to hurt ratings not just for the NFL but traditional TV across the board; the Olympics were a huge ratings disappointment this year as a result of significantly decreased viewership among young adults and the NFL is just likely to be the last programming to feel the effects of this trend. One reason this isn't being broadly discussed is that networks are terrified of telling advertisers that young people don't watch TV anymore (or affluent people--ads are quickly becoming a content tax for poor people, but that's another story).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The funny thing is that cable is super cheap for me because xfinity desperately wants me to use their internet

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The 35 option on Vue gets you FS1/2, NFL Network, SEC Channel, and the Big Ten Network

Nice that there are some cheaper options now

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I have sling gold and blue + sports and it's been really great so far. If, however, you're running on a mac with sierra, make sure you google/install the compatibility fix - I had big time sling video slowdown till I did.

That's awesome. Do you get your local Fox Sports channel?

I'm either going to run it through my XBone or the Apple TV that my MIL buys us for Christmas. So no macs for me.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

I can get SlingTV but I really really really really really like saving broadcasts so I can do whatever I drat well please with them later, which is considerably harder to do with Sling vs. my current setup.

Also I think both of Sling's packages were missing a couple networks I wanted.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheChirurgeon posted:

the Olympics were a huge ratings disappointment this year as a result of significantly decreased viewership among young adults and the NFL is just likely to be the last programming to feel the effects of this trend. One reason this isn't being broadly discussed is that networks are terrified of telling advertisers that young people don't watch TV anymore (or affluent people--ads are quickly becoming a content tax for poor people, but that's another story).

Also because NBC's Olympic coverage borders on world worst

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

That's awesome. Do you get your local Fox Sports channel?

I'm in northern California, so no regional fox sports channel for me at the moment, but I get the regular FS1/2

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I would pay for specific channels, since I'm getting pretty tired of subsidizing a bunch of crappy TV networks in favor of ESPN, etc.

I thought Playstation Vue was supposed to be the "pick the channels you want" package, but I guess not. Really, I just want a few of the ESPNs, Pac-12, maybe a few comedy / variety channels like Discovery.

TheChirurgeon posted:

So a few things about ratings here, because I think that most people, including many in the press and an alarming number of people I worked with at multiple TV networks, don't really understand how ratings are measured, calculated, or reported.

--snip--

This is a good post and everyone should read it.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 6, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Does Sling have a DVR feature?

One of my favorite features on PS Vue is the ability to mark all the shows I like and get them DVR'd and put into a "My Shows" playlist type lineup.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Does Sling have a DVR feature?

One of my favorite features on PS Vue is the ability to mark all the shows I like and get them DVR'd and put into a "My Shows" playlist type lineup.

Well I just signed up for the 7 day free trial with Sling. I'm going to check it out when I get home tonight and see if there is a DVR function.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Also, the meddling bullshit Goodell does in regards to punishments, drug policy, and 'taunting' penalties are starting to make the NFL seem less legitimate in general. I was a pure football addict in the past but it's annoyed me enough where I only watch my must-see games now.

In a world of shrinking attention spans, they added MORE commercial breaks and made it harder to watch what you want to. It's completely idiotic.

Almost everything about the NFL's strategy is completely backwards, it's impressive. And, yeah, like you I only watch my team's games and the truly marquee games these days. I think part of this is just me getting older, though, not exclusively Goodell meddling.

virgin for Jesus posted:

You'd be so much better off charging something like $5 or $10 for a game on your phone or your pad, or on that Korean Air flight I was on where they channeled some meaningless AFC east game and the passengers went absolutely nuts.

You're not producing a movie or anything creatively based. Nobody is pirating your stuff. Treat us like adults. I just want to watch the game.

I think you're underrating how incredibly challenging it is to produce a NFL game the way we see it on TV. You have multiple cameras, sound receivers, interviewers, broadcasters, the production room, statistics, the truck, and you have to juggle everything all at once, cut highlights, cue up graphics and such, all on maybe a 7 second delay at most. Movie sets are idylls compared to sports TV production.

TheChirurgeon posted:

:eng101: Nielsen ratings :eng101:

I understand why it needs to be done that way but holy poo poo this is a really rickety system and even with 25k households there's so much that can easily get overlooked and underrepresented. And of course, like you point out, these are the households that actually have cable, it's not representative anymore of the average American's media entertainment habits.

Maybe I'm just upset because I started watching Almost Human and there was no reason that show should have been canceled after one season.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
poo poo's getting real with OBJ

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

cool I'll save some money!

Nothing football related but reading up on Matthew, are you or your alter-egos Crazy or nnnAdam (come back) being evacuated?

e: Stay safe Dolfan goons, you need to let the team slowly kill you. Jacksonville fans too, for the same reason.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 6, 2016

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Well I just signed up for the 7 day free trial with Sling. I'm going to check it out when I get home tonight and see if there is a DVR function.

Sling is pretty good, but fair warning, the Xbox one app is terrible.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What an idiotic way to handle this situation.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/784087365765754880

This is a particularly dumb thought.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

kiimo posted:

What an idiotic way to handle this situation.

Can you imagine how loving annoying he must be to the coaches and other players?

He's such a child that he is being threatened with time out. It's amazing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

seiferguy posted:

I would pay for specific channels, since I'm getting pretty tired of subsidizing a bunch of crappy TV networks in favor of ESPN, etc.

A l a carte pricing is really tricky--it's what everyone actually wants, but the last thing cable companies want to provide. It's easy for ESPN or HBO to get away with charging $25 per month for their content, but much harder for smaller networks. And the rub is that most networks are owned by a larger company--NBC owns Bravo, USA, Syfy, CNBC, MSNBC, and a host of other smaller networks. They'd much rather you buy all of them as a package deal, because they know that no one is going to pay those kinds of costs for Oxygen and Golf Channel and Cloo, and the subscriber bases won't be large enough to cover those networks. They're much more valuable as sources of ad revenue, because of how they can sell the respective audiences of each network.

Cable is one of the biggest scams in America right now, though--not only are you paying a subscription fee for those channels, you still get ads, and more of them--cable shows cram in 1-2 extra minutes of ads per half hour over broadcast shows, and even speed up old shows in syndication to fit in more ads.

On that note, the amount of ad revenue networks get for NFL games is loving insane, and a clear indicator of why they don't give a gently caress about streaming games--NBC's streams aren't making anywhere near the $674k they get for a 30s ad for Sunday Night Football on TV (the streams likely top out at a $50 CPM if it's not being offered as added value to a TV buy, which with 3.4M unique streamers in 2015 would optimisitically have made them around $50-$100M for the whole season where at least year's price of $603M per 30s spot, a single episode of SNF would net more than $60M in ad revenue (the average NFL game features more than 100 30-second ad spots).

AdAge just put out a great article about this, for those interested: http://adage.com/article/news/tv-ad-pricing-chart/305899/

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Maybe if Odell is that SAWFT he should be wearing ear plugs??

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn/status/784091954695012354

YOU DON'T SAY

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Well, now it makes sense why Beckham was going on and on about how incredible he is and how other players are just trying to tear him down, his own OC is inflating his ego

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Brannock posted:

I understand why it needs to be done that way but holy poo poo this is a really rickety system and even with 25k households there's so much that can easily get overlooked and underrepresented. And of course, like you point out, these are the households that actually have cable, it's not representative anymore of the average American's media entertainment habits.

Maybe I'm just upset because I started watching Almost Human and there was no reason that show should have been canceled after one season.

It definitely doesn't need to be done this way. Most of the reason poo poo is still done like this is because the network and ad agency leadership folks are all ancient and don't want to change from what they're comfortable with. Some of these same folks still ask for ways to make online measurement comparable to TV viewership so they can compare the two, despite the fact that you can measure each individual video stream/ad view online in a way that you can't on TV--they'd rather have lovely comparable measurement because it's what they're more familiar with.

Also they don't care about the average American's media habits because they make their money on TV, not all the other poo poo Americans do. Their job is to convince Americans to watch their product, however they're offering (and monetizing) it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also they don't care about the average American's media habits because they make their money on TV, not all the other poo poo Americans do. Their job is to convince Americans to watch their product, however they're offering (and monetizing) it.

But if Americans are increasingly doing other stuff instead of watching TV, then why not compete directly with that, instead of against each other in a shrinking market share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I am 95% sure it does not, but if you can find one I'll be thrilled.

• Locked thread