Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And it may be on the pricy side, but sticking a ssd into a ps4 makes for a great experience. It is 100% worth it for ffxiv, and basically every other game I tested also had big improvements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

food court bailiff posted:

What are you even talking about? I have like thirty PS4 games and the only one with really noticeable loading times is Battlefield 4. A couple take thirty seconds or so to launch initially but really, it's 2016, literally every console game is being loaded from a hard drive exactly the same as a PC game, you sound like a moron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v4mpqfjWis

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mondian posted:

Never played Symphony of the Night? Crissaegrim is a rare drop off an insignificant trash mob that looks mediocre on paper until you try it out

Maybe it's because I played it in the grim days before limitless access to forums, faqs, and guides, but getting that was a surprise I'll never forget. Also the fact that it totally trivializes the entire game as soon as you get it, I can't really think of another game with quite so overpowered a weapon.

Yeah, it's actual attack value is less than a lot of other weapons, but then you use it and realize that every press of the attack button is like 3 or 4 swings, and it attacks so fast you can just button mash it and get in like 10 hits in a 1 second span.

But yeah, it takes most of the challenge of the game away...not that there's a ton of challenge usually left by that point anyway, since you generally have enough HP and stats to wreck anything except an occasional giant, tank-rear end knight. Even bosses go down pretty quickly, with the exception of Galamoth cause holy poo poo gently caress that guy.

But if you want Cheese Mode that's even cheesier than Crissaegrim, you can equip the Shield Rod with the Alucard Shield, and then hit square+circle together, and then just hold up the ALucard shield to do massive damage to anything it touches for the next 20 seconds or so. Even takes down Galamoth in only a few uses.

Action Tortoise posted:

dead rising 2

fashion souls is really fun in this game.

YOU KNOW ME
THE FIGHTING FREAK

Scary Terry?
Edit: Bitch!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Scary Terry?
Edit: Bitch!

:snoop:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF726gXNNmE:snoop:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the Phoenix Wright games I always like when the Judges get cool lines cause they always get left behind. Like in the first game when Von Karma states that the trial will last just three minutes. Then, during the cross-exam this happens:

VonKarma: GAAH!
Judge: What is it Von Karma?
VK: We have just passed the three minute mark!
Judge: Then let's just take our time from now on, shall we?

He finally grows a pair. I also like during the final trial proving Athena Innocent, when the defendant
gets excited and jumps behind the defense bench to do her thing with the latest witness. Then at the end of the trial The judge declares:

I would like to declare my verdict now. However, can the defense... I mean, the defendant... please return to the witness stand.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

I used to just chill on the sides of walls in this level. Blazing to this fat beat and scopin' some chao.

Good times.

Also the chao garden in SA2 ate so much of my life. Why don't we have any next-gen monster breeders.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rama of Ra posted:

I used to just chill on the sides of walls in this level. Blazing to this fat beat and scopin' some chao.

Good times.

Also the chao garden in SA2 ate so much of my life. Why don't we have any next-gen monster breeders.

Because Monster Rancher was the last good one and it's dead. I wish someone would make another Jade Cocoon. That whole game is my favorite little thing. You see, it starts off with your dude wielding a knife fighting horrible monsters in a forest and your first thought is "Alright I'll kill these monsters!" But no. the monsters will wreck your poo poo so you have to actually enslave them. And just to mock you, you can waste money on better knives that do nothing.

But the best part was the monster fusion system. On the surface it was really simple. It took the skin of Monster A and stretched it over the skeleton of Monster B. No matter what kind of horrible atrocity it gave birth to. Then there were some weird mechanics to mix the creature's features including limbs and other things. It was really fun to just churn out horrible monstrosities that looked like glitches rather than actual creatures.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

That's a PS3 game on PS3 hardware you berk.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I like when games give you a little extra vertical boost when jumping out of water while you're swimming. It's super annoying in games that don't have it, and you're swimming all over the place and trying to find a place with a low enough platform to clear. Also climbing mechanisms that stop that problem are cool too.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

I like when games give you a little extra vertical boost when jumping out of water while you're swimming. It's super annoying in games that don't have it, and you're swimming all over the place and trying to find a place with a low enough platform to clear. Also climbing mechanisms that stop that problem are cool too.

The Soul Reavers were great for this.

Favourite little thing from Soul Reaver 2:
In Blood Omen 1, Kain saw a bunch of blood types that would affect him differently.
Red blood was from the 'living' (including vampires) and would heal him just fine, black blood was from the rotten dead and would harm him, blue blood was from ghosts or otherwise ethereal creatures and healed magic, and green blood was from demons and mutants and would poison him.
Now SR1 and BO2 were both set in eras where you wouldn't see demons, zombies, ghosts (as enemies) exactly, but SR2 had Raziel traveling through the era of BO1 and would see all the enemy types that Kain saw in his first game. It was purely an aesthetic effect since Raziel doesn't drink blood, but all the creatures shed blood of the colour from the first LOK game.

Also, just as a difference in the game mechanics, the Reaver weapon in 2 being accessible at all times but a competitor for the tasty, tasty souls you live on was a great change.

I forget if they maintained this for LOK: Defiance. I don't think they did? I would kill for a HD collection of the series (or a finale to it at least).

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

poptart_fairy posted:

That's a PS3 game on PS3 hardware you berk.

An early PS3 game at that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Originally you had to install each act when you got there. The worst was the act with Raging Raven because once you skip cutscenes it's like 15 minutes long.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
In Uncharted 4 Nathan actually uses the guns you have equipped in cutscenes rather than just pulling a generic M16 out of nowhere. It's especially great when you have a special gun equipped, and you point a massive revolver or a grenade launcher at someone.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Judge Tesla posted:

An early PS3 game at that.

I can't believe that a joke was made at the expense of historical and technical accuracy, I really hope somebody was fired for that blunder.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sad lions posted:

I forget if they maintained this for LOK: Defiance. I don't think they did? I would kill for a HD collection of the series (or a finale to it at least).
I for one am glad we haven't gotten another Soul Reaver. The gameplay footage from that cancelled Soul Reaver game looked really bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbgqS4xx-ZQ

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I for one am glad we haven't gotten another Soul Reaver. The gameplay footage from that cancelled Soul Reaver game looked really bad.

I remember when this was cancelled the devs did some big writeup about how mean old Square-Enix was destroying their vision because it wasn't accessible and dumbed-down enough and a bunch of people were taking their side, I'm glad to see that as per usual the devs were full of poo poo and the game was cancelled because it was terrible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And then the last thing that ever came out of that franchise was a class based multiplayer shooter.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Hey, Nosgoth had at least one redeeming feature.

The ability to play as a literal manbat, swoop down and kidnap enemy players.

The rest of the game was bleh, but my god I loved being an aerial Jockey. :allears:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Man I want another Legacy of Kain so badly.

I have a ton of fond memories playing Blood Omen and Soul Reaver. I bought Soul Reaver on the ps3 and I just can't get past the controls and graphics now. :sigh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

In Uncharted 4 Nathan actually uses the guns you have equipped in cutscenes rather than just pulling a generic M16 out of nowhere. It's especially great when you have a special gun equipped, and you point a massive revolver or a grenade launcher at someone.

Max Payne did this in the third game too. I think he even held rifles in his off-hand to threaten people with a sidearm in some circumstances.

Guy Mann posted:

I can't believe that a joke was made at the expense of historical and technical accuracy, I really hope somebody was fired for that blunder.

But it was a Guy Mann post.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I also apparently would have rebooted the series for no reason at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

Max Payne did this in the third game too. I think he even held rifles in his off-hand to threaten people with a sidearm in some circumstances.

But it was a Guy Mann post.

There's at least one or two cutscenes that change if you have a long gun, because Max has to set it down to use both hands to do whatever. Which is also cool.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Max Payne 3's weapon system was really simple but really cool. I didn't end up missing having fifteen different guns at all times like in the first two, because of all the cool poo poo like grabbing an assault rifle off the ground, emptying its only magazine, then tossing it aside to go all John Woo on some motherfuckers with dual handguns.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In Stardew Valley if one of your fruit trees is struck by lightning and gets singed then for a few days instead of making fruit it makes charcoal.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Oct 7, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Max Payne 3's weapon system was really simple but really cool. I didn't end up missing having fifteen different guns at all times like in the first two, because of all the cool poo poo like grabbing an assault rifle off the ground, emptying its only magazine, then tossing it aside to go all John Woo on some motherfuckers with dual handguns.

Yeah, it was surprisingly refreshing playing as someone without magnets surgically implanted into their back. If you're carrying a long gun, you either shoot it or carry it in your off-hand, and if you want to dual-wield pistols or SMG you've gotta drop it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, it was surprisingly refreshing playing as someone without magnets surgically implanted into their back. If you're carrying a long gun, you either shoot it or carry it in your off-hand, and if you want to dual-wield pistols or SMG you've gotta drop it.

Until you enter a cutscene, then it magically vanishes and is replaced with a dinky little pistol :v:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen has some excellent moments. One of the best is during the final boss fight with the Dragon, it will dive at you breathing fire. If you're a bow-wielding class, you can shoot the dragon down through the flames just before it hits you. I'm fairly sure it's scripted, but it still makes you feel incredibly unfuckwithable.
There are only two or three recurring spawns of one of the larger monsters, the Griffin. One of these is near a nest of smaller lizard-people enemies; the Griffin will ignore you and just swoop down on the lizards, kill and eat a few of them, and then fly away, unless you interrupt it. I love it when games give enemies life beyond just being there for you to kill, and seeing a griffin out hunting for its dinner is a great example of it.
The Dark Arisen DLC dungeon has a mechanic of 'roaming monsters', where giant extra-powerful monsters will randomly show up in rooms with a lot of dead bodies and attack everything they see. This leads to insanely metal poo poo like a fight against a skyscraper-sized cyclops covered in spiked armour being interrupted by a zombie dragon attacking both sides.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DD deserves a dozen sequels. As incomplete and partially broken as it may be, it's one of my favorite games.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That premise sounds unnecessarily complicated. A guy kills you and you somehow become him but he's still around somehow as a ghost and he's basically Raziel but he's not voiced by Michael Bell. Also at one point in the starting cutscene you see he's holding a bad version of the Soul Reaver sword.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, they really had reflection code locked in. Driving a vehicle you could actually see what was behind you in the side mirrors, and when you are carrying the sniper rifle, and not zoomed in, you could actually see a tiny version of what the scope was pointed at in the eye piece. It was a nice touch, other sniper rifles don't have that in other games. I always missed it when I was sniping in TF2.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Spirit of Justice has the best final trial - the villain is literally this sketch (Spoilers for endgame of Ace Attorney SoJ)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cFzABv0xMU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

BioEnchanted posted:

Spirit of Justice has the best final trial - the villain is literally this sketch (Spoilers for endgame of Ace Attorney SoJ)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cFzABv0xMU

I dunno if that's especially a spoiler, considering this seems to be the ending of like every trial in every Ace Attorney game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Glagha posted:

I dunno if that's especially a spoiler, considering this seems to be the ending of like every trial in every Ace Attorney game.

Most of the time it's more subtle, one or two aspects changing to recontextualise the entire design, generally by changing the hair and pulling an angry face. This was the first one I can think of where everything changes all at once. She even has evil lipstick and her hair goes evil

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

dordreff posted:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen has some excellent moments. One of the best is during the final boss fight with the Dragon, it will dive at you breathing fire. If you're a bow-wielding class, you can shoot the dragon down through the flames just before it hits you. I'm fairly sure it's scripted, but it still makes you feel incredibly unfuckwithable.
There are only two or three recurring spawns of one of the larger monsters, the Griffin. One of these is near a nest of smaller lizard-people enemies; the Griffin will ignore you and just swoop down on the lizards, kill and eat a few of them, and then fly away, unless you interrupt it. I love it when games give enemies life beyond just being there for you to kill, and seeing a griffin out hunting for its dinner is a great example of it.
The Dark Arisen DLC dungeon has a mechanic of 'roaming monsters', where giant extra-powerful monsters will randomly show up in rooms with a lot of dead bodies and attack everything they see. This leads to insanely metal poo poo like a fight against a skyscraper-sized cyclops covered in spiked armour being interrupted by a zombie dragon attacking both sides.

I played poo poo out of dd and got completely burned out, now you're making me wanna reinstall it, curse you!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I recently did a run-through of FF9 and decides to cheat my way through Ozma, the secret boss, before you do the two quests meant to be finished before you fight. Both of them (the animal partners, which removes his absorption and lowers him into striking range) and the Hades secret boss react differently if you beat him earlier. Its a nice, pointless touch.

MGSV also has a ton of little stuff, like the mission photos that show up in the chopper as you complete the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

swordfish duelist posted:

Man I want another Legacy of Kain so badly.

I have a ton of fond memories playing Blood Omen and Soul Reaver. I bought Soul Reaver on the ps3 and I just can't get past the controls and graphics now. :sigh:

I can't play Oblivion anymore because it looks like absolute poo poo even though I had the most fun with it out of all of the Elder Scrolls games.

Funny enough I can still play morrowind fine for the same reason I can still enjoy games like Quake II and the entire N64 library. They may look like poo poo, but they're at least mostly well defined poo poo. Every NPC in oblivion just looks like a fruit someone left out in the sun for too long and the whole world looks like one of those generic Toys R Us brand knights playsets no one ever buys.

dordreff posted:

You can also bait out specific enemies by throwing rotting meat around certain rooms.

Also a really fun Dragon's Dogma one is that there's a quest to fight a gryphon, climb a tower and do a bunch of stuff. The quest starts off with you fighting the gryphon and it runs away when its health gets low. If you're strong enough, usually on an NG+, you can actually kill the gryphon at this point and the quest just ends.

There's also an entire mechanic revolving around making forgeries of items. Some of them are useful, like making forgeries of rare items used in quests makes it easier to get the quest done, but some aren't since a forgery doesn't have the same magical effect as the original item. However, you can make forgeries of several quest items and hand them in instead of the actual item and it has an effect in a few of the quest cutscenes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Nuebot posted:

Also a really fun Dragon's Dogma one is that there's a quest to fight a gryphon, climb a tower and do a bunch of stuff. The quest starts off with you fighting the gryphon and it runs away when its health gets low. If you're strong enough, usually on an NG+, you can actually kill the gryphon at this point and the quest just ends.

I saw one guy say the first time he fight the Griffin he grabbed onto it as it flew away and had enough stamina items to keep clinging on as it flew all the way back to its lair. Which is another badass way to do it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I saw one guy say the first time he fight the Griffin he grabbed onto it as it flew away and had enough stamina items to keep clinging on as it flew all the way back to its lair. Which is another badass way to do it.

:aaa: I think I know what I'm going to have to do next time I play that game.

Also the obvious is that the game is full of small berserk references. The original release had two armor sets, a lot of the two hand sword moves are based on Guts' fighting style and one of the characters is basically the main female lead from the Golden Age arc with a french accent.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

2house2fly posted:

That doesn't work, it despawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Semi-crossposting from the Boss Music thread: I was reminded today of one of the things I adore about FFXIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCcbKY7d0dc

GOOD KING MOGGLE MOG!

The whole boss fight is a group of super adorable Moogles and their giant king. They flutter around, dancing and chatting with each other. The music in the background is a medley/remix of a couple of Moogle themes from throughout the Final Fantasy series, and the lyrics introduce you to the Good King and his trusty troupe of brave and brilliant Moogles.

It is the cutest boss fight I've ever seen in my life.