Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

rabidsquid posted:

taking your junglers buff like that would really gently caress them, and as support you can't really go take the enemy top buff, and there's a pretty strong chance three people will be at enemy bot buff

Ah I thought it worked from level 1, not level 5. Lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

i've had more people ruin games i'm in by trying to "solo carry" than i have had ruined by premades.

Yeah I don't think I've ever had a premade "ruin" a game. Like, maybe a four stack didn't play well, but I haven't seen any outright trolling out of premades.

Yi mains, on the other hand...

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i've ruined a fair amount of games as a premade trying to 4 stack the yordle squad comp

but i had good intentions

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I've definitely had more than one Chinese 4-man flip the gently caress out

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Played my first SR game in about 4 months. It was like, the worst Jinx game I've ever played, missed every ult and CS'd like trash, but it was still a one-sided stomp because the enemy Yi and Garen fed and their Draven D/C'd.

I was having trouble climbing back to Silver earlier in the season. Maybe I should've just waited until now when the MMR has stabilized. It's the bronzest game I've seen while in bronze at least.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Darth Windu posted:

I won a pretty cool game recently where my team helped me take the enemy red buff oh whoops our support Annie took it, then I tried to take my own and oh hey Veigar is helping thanks man go ahead and take my red buff for yourself. Okay!! Neither of them said anything about it or anything else so that was fun but at least the other team was really bad and had jungle kayle.

Did they at least have the common decency to flash their mastery emote?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
loving finally!!!!!!

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/client/client-features/road-pre-season-replays-horizon

quote:

Road to Pre-Season: Replays on the Horizon
BY MR BURNABLY
That time we said we weren’t doing Replays…
The last time we talked about Replays was about a year ago in our first Riot Pls. At that time, a number of factors led us to deprioritize Replays. Since then, we’ve put a ton of love into League’s global infrastructure (for example creating Riot Direct), prompting us to revisit the conversation. At that point, we realized it was finally the right time for us to explore the feature.
We had everything we needed to build Replays except support for backpatching—which lets you watch replays from previous patches. So we asked ourselves: is backpatching so important we can’t ship Replays without it? We knew players wanted to relive specific moments from a match, no matter how much time had passed, and realized we could reach other solutions to that problem than backpatching.
That brings us to where we are today. We are ready to announce that Replays are coming to the League client update this pre-season.

Here’s how it works:
  • Download your replay from the End of Game Screen or Match History.
  • Watch Replays from the current patch using our new Replay Mode, with the functionality you’re used to from Spectator Mode.
  • Find cool moments using the new Annotated Timeline, which marks major events like kills, takedowns of towers and inhibitors, and dragon/baron kills.
  • Capture video clips of your in-game moments (“Highlights”) using built-in recording functionality.
  • These Highlights will be stored on your hard drive (C:\MyDocuments\LeagueofLegends\Highlights) as a .webm video file. These files can be viewed by opening them in any browser that supports HTML5, and shared to social media alongside your cat gifs.
  • With all of those pieces put together, you’ll be able to quickly capture, save, and share your favorite moments on video to share whenever you want.
This is our first iteration and we’re excited to keep working on the feature. Stay tuned in the coming months for more details!

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

just need the sandbox mode now, riot has really been doing a good job of things recently imo. hopefully they can release the new client relatively smoothly too.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
yeah riot have turned a lot of poo poo around lately. like, maybe it's just me but it seems like since a bunch of the older employees have left riot has got a whole lot less cult-like? and less weird?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Neat, only took 10 years. The biggest thing is dropping the idea that users wanted to be able to watch every replay ever made at any time through backpatching, which was stupid and probably a dodge to buy time.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

BigLeafyTree posted:

which was stupid and probably a dodge to buy time.

Yep. Glad they're finally doing it though, maybe we'll be able to watch competitive games in-client in 2025.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Sexpansion posted:

Yep. Glad they're finally doing it though, maybe we'll be able to watch competitive games in-client in 2025.

Considering that the recent Aurelion Sol bug that popped up in worlds was a result of how the broadcastable client handles spectators, I wouldn't be surprised if Riot pays more attention to how spectator mode is supposed to work in the new client and engineers it so that the same client can be used for both regular league games and professional broadcasting.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Radical posted:

just need the sandbox mode now, riot has really been doing a good job of things recently imo. hopefully they can release the new client relatively smoothly too.

Not picking on you in particular but what exactly would a sandbox mode would entail for League? I see a lot of people wanting it but what extra stuff could you do in a sandbox mode that you couldn't currently do in a custom game? Would it basically just be like a custom game but with the ability to immediately buy items and stuff without waiting for gold, and cast spells without waiting for long CDs?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Not picking on you in particular but what exactly would a sandbox mode would entail for League? I see a lot of people wanting it but what extra stuff could you do in a sandbox mode that you couldn't currently do in a custom game? Would it basically just be like a custom game but with the ability to immediately buy items and stuff without waiting for gold, and cast spells without waiting for long CDs?

You kind of already answered your own question there; yes, it would be nice to be able to test poo poo without farming bots for a bit.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

that + change your levels + spawn in enemies with variable AI(ranging from "stands there and lets you attack them to test damage against champions" to "intermediate bot match") basically. lets you theorycraft builds without taking like 40 minutes to farm up items like you would going through custom builds testing every combination of build orders and etc

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Offhandedly, it'd be for things like:
  • Testing jungle paths/jungle breakpoints quickly (e.g. when can I solo dragon by myself, and with what items).
  • Getting a better feeling for how much damage you do at X level with Y items, assuming a target with average MR.
  • Practicing skillshots/last hitting without having to worry constantly about mana or level.
  • Practicing more specific skull usage like Ryze's ult without having to wait out the long cooldowns.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Personally, in a sandbox mode I'd like the ability to a) buy arbitrary items without needing to farm for gold, b) spawn waves at arbitrary times, including cannon waves and super minions, c) spawn arbitrary enemy/allied champions with arbitrary builds, d) set abilities to arbitrary levels, e) change my summoner spells without exiting the mode, f) reset cooldowns arbitrarily on abilities, summoners, and trinkets, g) change the champion I'm playing without having to exit and reload the game.

Probably spawning towers and inhibitors, if they happen to be dead, would be a nice touch too.

With all of that functionality, you can go into the sandbox and think, "Hmm, I have two builds in mind for this champion; I wonder which one does more damage early? Do I do more damage if I level Q or if I level W? Exactly how much health can I get if I build this way? When my enemy laner comes to lane after having bought these items, how much damage am I going to be doing to them if I'm at this stage in my build? If they buy THIS, do I want to be buying THIS thing or this OTHER thing first? What walls can I flash over? What walls can I ward over? What are the magic spots where I can stand and where I can click to ward over walls that look like they're too thick?"

stump collector
May 28, 2007
sandbox mode would prolong the careers of many pro players and reduce the massive adjustment period people experience when large patches are rolled out.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
if they did it right it'd also become feasible to run practice scenarios with your friends so you could work on teamfighting or 2v3 or tower dive drills or any number of things

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Additionally it would allow teams to better optimize practice. Like being able to figure the literal exact power a comp has when you're say a level behind or an item down, or the most precise way to use certain comps. The only reason we don't have it is because riot couldn't implement it because if pre existing spaghetti code hitches which they covered up by saying it was to prevent toxicity among players. It's nice to see them finally implement replays, now people don't have to use dodgy rear end and buggy third party clients

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

every top laner is going to practice flashing over that tribrush wall a million times until they never gently caress it up again

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Good poo poo. Would be cool if they added a WoW-style DPS meter thing to that mode too so you can see exactly how much damage you're doing in a single combo or something like that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Coca Koala posted:

Personally, in a sandbox mode I'd like the ability to a) buy arbitrary items without needing to farm for gold

id like at least the bullshit basic items to be free or else have this be adjustable, i've been running custom matches against one bot to play around with learning basics and having to farm the early poo poo is infuriating

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Good poo poo. Would be cool if they added a WoW-style DPS meter thing to that mode too so you can see exactly how much damage you're doing in a single combo or something like that.

Keep in mind they aren't adding sandbox mode yet, but based on the fact they've crossed out a bunch of memes the community has been asking for for a while (Baker panth, Satan terminal, replays) I wouldn't expect it to be too far off the horizon

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Lovechop posted:

yeah riot have turned a lot of poo poo around lately. like, maybe it's just me but it seems like since a bunch of the older employees have left riot has got a whole lot less cult-like? and less weird?

Tryndamere's still there though. Apparently the fine he imposed on himself for elo boosting was sent to a cult-like charity that he's on the board of and gives 10k to annually anyway, lol

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

Satan terminal,

we must stop riot before TeemOS goes online

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

lmao i cant believe this

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

we must stop riot before TeemOS goes online

loving autocorrect

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

stump collector posted:

if they did it right it'd also become feasible to run practice scenarios with your friends so you could work on teamfighting or 2v3 or tower dive drills or any number of things

This is one of the Big Reasons. When a football team's practicing what to do when they're 1st and goal, they don't reset to kickoff, run the ball all the way back, get tackled, and set up again. They just set back up. Right now the only way to practice a high pressure situation like a tower dive is to wait out death/summoner/ult/active timers, maybe lose another tower in the meantime to minion waves (which can throw off expected buys), etc.

Luna Was Here posted:

Satan terminal
This is the best typo.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Parallel Playa posted:

Tryndamere's still there though. Apparently the fine he imposed on himself for elo boosting was sent to a cult-like charity that he's on the board of and gives 10k to annually anyway, lol

oh yeah i watched the richard lewis vid for that. i've never heard of the charity before but the recruitment vid they played was unreal disturbing, figures trynd would support them.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Lovechop posted:

oh yeah i watched the richard lewis vid for that. i've never heard of the charity before but the recruitment vid they played was unreal disturbing, figures trynd would support them.

Can I get a link to the r Lewis vid, that sounds amazing

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

Can I get a link to the r Lewis vid, that sounds amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8zfhn8iB7I

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Check out pwynwoofs post about solo queue coming back if you think riot is good now.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Played against a mid lane khazix that ended up with 41 kills. Kind of un-fun. I didn't notice that our 1/17 bard support was building AD/attack speed.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2310509638/232831107?tab=stats

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Replays are sweet and all but I hope they hide the names of the other players so that morons with a following don't post replay vids to YouTube and send their prepubescent hordes to harass people.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Out of curiosity, does the goon club have any open spots?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Schiavona posted:

Replays are sweet and all but I hope they hide the names of the other players so that morons with a following don't post replay vids to YouTube and send their prepubescent hordes to harass people.

I mean... vods of streaming have existed for a while

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

ahhhhhhhhh

the recruitment clip starts at 40:30 or so btw. "it's about shedding your personal skin" 👌🏻

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

I mean replays have existed since I started playing in 2014, this'll probably end up being a negative change overall because there'll be dumb restrictions or like api restrictions to compensate or something. webm support is cool at least I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Chris de Sperg posted:

I mean replays have existed since I started playing in 2014,

Luna Was Here posted:

now people don't have to use dodgy rear end and buggy third party clients

• Locked thread