Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've never run Biggs that I can recall. I know the general idea is to keep him at Range 1 of Norra/Shara but preferably Range 3 of the enemy. When setting up, it should be Shara and Norra up front with about the range rulers width between. Should Biggs go as far back from them as possible or will that screw up his ability too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've never run Biggs that I can recall. I know the general idea is to keep him at Range 1 of Norra/Shara but preferably Range 3 of the enemy. When setting up, it should be Shara and Norra up front with about the range rulers width between. Should Biggs go as far back from them as possible or will that screw up his ability too much?

Depends on what you're being shot with. What you described is generally true, but there are exceptions.

Per FAQ:
If the attacker has more than one weapon available, it must use a weapon that can target Biggs Darklighter, if possible, instead of any other ship at Range 1 of Biggs Darklighter.

Certain things will make you want to get up close. If Biggs is out of missile arc or too close for ordnance on Jumpmasters, they have to shoot him with a primary weapon turret instead.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh, right. The part about Yoda blasting off in a tiny interstellar rocket to go to Dagobah. The last 2 movies were so awful I only remember Padme's white uniform from AOTC. Episode 1 was great for the podracing though. Movie should've revolved around that, should've been space Ben Hur.

I think every single time I've sat down to watch Ep.1, I've fallen asleep during the podracing. That includes when I saw it in the theater. Podracing is really really boring to me, especially the post-DVD edition where they added a whole other loving lap, SNORE, BORING

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

Colonel Vessery (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)

"Quickdraw" (29)
Adaptability (0)
Fire-Control System (2)
Special Ops Training (0)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Here's my thought on a Crazy 8's list for casual play tonight. I'm thinking that keeping Quickdraw light as a mini-Dengar is a better use of points than intentionally stressing and taking damage.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Finster Dexter posted:

I think every single time I've sat down to watch Ep.1, I've fallen asleep during the podracing. That includes when I saw it in the theater. Podracing is really really boring to me, especially the post-DVD edition where they added a whole other loving lap, SNORE, BORING

Podracing was only really good when it was a vidjagame. The vidjagame was excellent.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Certain things will make you want to get up close. If Biggs is out of missile arc or too close for ordnance on Jumpmasters, they have to shoot him with a primary weapon turret instead.
You really want Biggs at range 3 of jumpmasters to draw out torpedos because you'll usually cancel them down to 2 hits anyway. At range 1, Biggs often dies just as fast without the jumps spending the torps.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Went back to the drawing board. How is that?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

hoiyes posted:

You really want Biggs at range 3 of jumpmasters to draw out torpedos because you'll usually cancel them down to 2 hits anyway. At range 1, Biggs often dies just as fast without the jumps spending the torps.

Jumps will usually have Chimps I think, so probably at least two hits and a crit. Granted, it's still going to take three torps to kill Biggs unless they roll multiple crits, discounting things like DTF. If nothing else, they've wasted two torps on him, or fired an ineffective primary.

EDIT Pattern Analyzer: do a green maneuver, take action, PtL, clear stress with green move. Basically the same as Advanced Sensors but in a tech slot, right?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 6, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Jumps will usually have Chimps I think, so probably at least two hits and a crit. Granted, it's still going to take three torps to kill Biggs unless they roll multiple crits, discounting things like DTF. If nothing else, they've wasted two torps on him, or fired an ineffective primary.

Jumpmasters have a primary of 2, not 3. They get hits, not crits, from Guidance Chips.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Iceclaw posted:

Went back to the drawing board. [url=http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!88:27,-1,-1,-1,-1:-1:3:;29:18,73:7:-1:U.56;86:18,73:7:-1:U.27&sn=New%20Squadron]How is that?[/url]

How does Keyan get stress in this list? If he can't get stress, why are you using Keyan?

That doesn't mean the concept is bad, but if you're not using his ability you might as well use someone else.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Admiral Joeslop posted:

EDIT Pattern Analyzer: do a green maneuver, take action, PtL, clear stress with green move. Basically the same as Advanced Sensors but in a tech slot, right?

Advanced Sensors lets you reposition before your maneuver, not after. A subtle detail that is still significant when it comes to parking lots and rocks.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

thespaceinvader posted:

Podracing was only really good when it was a vidjagame. The vidjagame was excellent.

haha yup I played that a ton, and got 1st on every race except the last one because the computer cheats soooo bad on that last race.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

haha yup I played that a ton, and got 1st on every race except the last one because the computer cheats soooo bad on that last race.

IIRC I got all of them and all of them on mirror mode.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Strobe posted:

How does Keyan get stress in this list? If he can't get stress, why are you using Keyan?

That doesn't mean the concept is bad, but if you're not using his ability you might as well use someone else.

Would swapping VI for PtL be a good idea then?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Iceclaw posted:

Would swapping VI for PtL be a good idea then?

PtL is one of two or three EPTs that Keyan absolutely lives for. Rage is (sometimes) another one. Engine Upgrade is useful, but it's less useful if there's no way to generate stress.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Okay, PtL it is then. Cheers!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Strobe posted:

Jumpmasters have a primary of 2, not 3. They get hits, not crits, from Guidance Chips.

:sigh: I always forget that caveat; I rarely fly ships with munitions that also have only two red.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Advanced sensors is a good substitute for ptl. Take your TL then kturn or 1turn or whatever, or barrel roll into a red move. Bwings have enough red to make it work. It frees up your ept for other stuff.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:sigh: I always forget that caveat; I rarely fly ships with munitions that also have only two red.

Keep in mind though that Proton Torps get to convert 1 focus to a crit for free, so you're also not entirely wrong.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
He's pretty strapped for points in that list; PtL gets you a barrel roll and a target lock in addition to your stressfocus.

If there was room for both I'd totally agree with you (and then take PTL anyway).

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Keep in mind though that Proton Torps get to convert 1 focus to a crit for free, so you're also not entirely wrong.

Most Jumpmasters use Plasma Torpedoes that I've ever seen. Dengar sometimes will use Protons, but the typical Scouts are usually trying to shave points for either three scouts or a loaded partybus.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Whats the Biggs/Nora/Shara list everyone is tolkien about?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Norra Wexley (29)
Push the Limit (3)
R5-P9 (3)
Kyle Katarn (3)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Shara Bey (28)
Draw Their Fire (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Weapons Engineer (3)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I ran it tonight. Against a newer player and I made a few mistakes but those three combined are hosses. Biggs lives forever even if a crit sneaks through because of DTF and Norra just shits out the pain. Shara isn't a slouch, either, with that title. This is my new list for this league.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Strobe posted:

He's pretty strapped for points in that list; PtL gets you a barrel roll and a target lock in addition to your stressfocus.

If there was room for both I'd totally agree with you (and then take PTL anyway).

Eh with how easy it is to block a lovely dial bwing and shut down half your list id much rather have the adsensors BR > red move. It opens up so many movement options but to each their own.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Strobe posted:

Norra Wexley (29)
Push the Limit (3)
R5-P9 (3)
Kyle Katarn (3)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Shara Bey (28)
Draw Their Fire (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Weapons Engineer (3)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

I played against it tonight and curbstomped it with Airen Corran Poe. Had some above average dice, and Biggs died fast allowing corran to double tap shara at range 1 in the second engage and that was basically that. It's interesting, it can be a grindy rebel regen that has good burst damage up its sleeve. I feel like it loses fast or wins slow. I'd like to play it again with average dice to at least see the rear arc in action.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Jesus Christ, Norra is some crazy poo poo. 'Numbers brought Dash + this Norra tonight:

Norra Wexley (29)
Push the Limit (3)
Kyle Katarn (3)
BB-8 (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Total: 41

It's like Dash, but harder to pin down because of the pre-maneuver movement. 4 actions per turn is absurd, and she can token-tank like a champ if necessary. I did eventually kill her after bumping and one-rounding Dash with my rebel swarm, and any proper ace list would out-PS her, but... man. It's like playing against a second copy of Dash, albeit less deadly out the back (yet possibly more resilient). Do you realize how obnoxious two Dashes is to deal when you're flying a list full of PS4 dudes?

ANYWAY. I really like how my rebel swarm list flies:

Jess Pava (25)
R2-D6 (1)
Adaptability (0)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Like any quad-X Biggs list, the idea is to get the other guy to divide his fire. Unlike previous versions, Jess provides an element that can maneuver within the formation thanks to T-Rolls and Boost - and she gives the list a noticeable bump in punch. Her ability is nothing short of amazing, really. There's no parallel - it's like super Lone Wolf, but compatible with force concentration (and flying everyone at range 1 is how quad-X works anyway). Note the Red Squadron Pilots: upgrading everyone's pilot skill to 4 is pretty important. With PS4 you have leeway in choosing which ships to activate first (aside from Biggs), and you won't get PS-killed by jumps or crackswarms (the biggest downfall of Rookie Pilot swarms). It's all about close maneuvering within your brick, sticking the right fighters out in the right directions at the right times. It's very fun to fly if you're into that sort of thing (I am). You're forced into blocking as your only real solution to aces, but that's pretty standard for any low-PS swarm. At least X-Wings are, unlike TIE Fighters, deadly at range 2+.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finally played against some Wave 9 stuff last night. Ketsu is pretty drat good. I did not realise that her ability means she can bump you at the front and still tractor you, that's pretty incredible and really caught me unawares. I like the lancer as a package, it's a well designed ship.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

canyoneer posted:

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

Colonel Vessery (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)

"Quickdraw" (29)
Adaptability (0)
Fire-Control System (2)
Special Ops Training (0)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Here's my thought on a Crazy 8's list for casual play tonight. I'm thinking that keeping Quickdraw light as a mini-Dengar is a better use of points than intentionally stressing and taking damage.

So I played this tonight and it was really fun. It was great to have Quickdraw up front, mean-mugging and daring the other ships to shoot at it while you have the other two ships at distance. The list I played against was a Kath/Boba list with Boba loaded with ordnance. It was a fun time. Quiz got traded in the final round of shooting, but otherwise I probably could have made it without losing a ship. I really like this list.

Second game I did a Moralo Eval with HLC, Dengar, IG-88D and Zuckuss paired with standard IG-88B brobot with Fearlessness and added tractor beam. Guy was flying Talonbane Cobra, Fenn Rau, and Manaroo. Talonbane got splashed in 2 rounds having done very little, because HLC ignores his bonus die at range 3.
I traded Moralo Eval for both fighters, and was left with Manaroo vs. a brobot. Manaroo's not really a great closer, so I figured I had it in the bag. I lost :negative:
Since it was also a big ship, I couldn't really outrun it, and it would just block me every time I'd try to get away. Once I got clear and would have to sloop or K-turn, Manaroo would roll up for the block and slicer-tool me. I got killed with Slicer Tool damage, which was hilarious and sad.

Manaroo with Fenn Rau is a good combo, but it's hard to fill the rest of that list with good points.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The best filler for Fenn + Manaroo is probably a party bus. Nothing else is quite 'oh poo poo' enough to draw fire from Fenn. And if they go after Fenn, the party bus with focus tokens can still wreck face.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

The best filler for Fenn + Manaroo is probably a party bus. Nothing else is quite 'oh poo poo' enough to draw fire from Fenn. And if they go after Fenn, the party bus with focus tokens can still wreck face.

Partybus doesn't really fit. You have to sacrifice a lot on Mana and Fenn to get 34 points of YV in there.

Fenn/Mana/N'Dru or Fenn/Mana/Kad is the beans.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

thespaceinvader posted:

Partybus doesn't really fit. You have to sacrifice a lot on Mana and Fenn to get 34 points of YV in there.

Fenn/Mana/N'Dru or Fenn/Mana/Kad is the beans.

I've seen some lists with Ol' Terry as well, but I think I prefer Fenn/Kad. I'm not a fan of Terry, yet.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Fenn/Roo/TLT.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Old Terr with opportunist?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Old Terr with opportunist?
If you are going to those lengths just use fearlessness

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I want to have some tiny decals made to enhance the rigged cargo chute debris cloud. I'm thinking a scale Captain Phasma, banana peels, Luke Skywalker's hand, and a smoking R4 unit

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Tekopo posted:

If you are going to those lengths just use fearlessness

Maybe opportunist of someone 4lse with old t running around.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Fenn/Roo/Guri.

My Guri love endures the entire meta.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cobbsprite posted:

Fenn/Roo/Guri.

My Guri love endures the entire meta.

I just started flying this as well

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

What are you putting on Guri? AT and Fearlessness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Finster Dexter posted:

What are you putting on Guri? AT and Fearlessness?

My local meta is really light on turrets, so I throw VI and Stealth Device to increase my evasion and reposition strength.

• Locked thread