Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Lord Frisk posted:

I was literally just about to ask for tactical level WWI games.

Landships is the only one that really jumps to mind. Has some p. unbalanced scenarios though. Ted R. did try his hand at this scale too with Royal Tank Corps.

Game play chat: I've been good about playing the stuff I buy but once I'm, done with a game I tend to be done done. Not much gets multiple goes unless it's really...uh "stimulating."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Red poppies also exists but I don't know much about it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

I was literally just about to ask for tactical level WWI games. I guess Paths of Glory will have to stave off my brother in law until Great War Commander is finally published.

There's The Great War by PSC Games based on the Commands & Colors ruleset (I think).

Trench Zone

In Flanders Fields

Red Poppies by Worthington Games, maybe.

There are a few others, but these come to mind.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Hey Goons! I've decided to waste spend some hard-earned cash. Looking at getting either Dean Essig's The Last Blitzkrieg or Adam Starkweather's The Greatest Day : Sword, Juno, Gold. anyone played either of these and have an opinion?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

tomdidiot posted:

Hey Goons! I've decided to waste spend some hard-earned cash. Looking at getting either Dean Essig's The Last Blitzkrieg or Adam Starkweather's The Greatest Day : Sword, Juno, Gold. anyone played either of these and have an opinion?

I really like Last Blitzkrieg. It's a great system that has some interesting features, esp. the way they do supply, support units, and activations. I think it does a good job of setting up the nail-biting grittiness of a good strategy game. However, for me the weirder rules took quite a bit of effort and practice to fully wrap my head around, but when I did I was well rewarded. I feel like Last Blitzkrieg is the best Battle of the Bulge in my collection (I also have AH BotB and Ardennes '44).

This is a long review, but I agree with pretty much everything that was written: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1621939/last-blitzkrieg-battalion-level-combat-wwii

I have not played The Greatest Day but it looks good, too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:negative:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh baby yes give it to me

I was thinking about doing a LP of either Kampfgruppe Peiper or Pegasus Bridge

Also, I mentioned to Olli (the guy with the crazy amount of ASL counters and boxes) that I wanted the scenario cards for Festung Budapest and he was like YEAH OKAY WHAT'S YOUR ADDRESS, NO PROBLEM, GOT A BUNCH. What a great fellow.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Wait, are you playing on that whole map???

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Oh baby yes give it to me

I was thinking about doing a LP of either Kampfgruppe Peiper or Pegasus Bridge

My plan is either:

A. Goons pick leaders + their stance (Are they reckless and shoot even with heavy + DRMs, or will they always refrain from extended range shots, or what unit is their "I MUST KILL THEM ASAP" target)

B. Goons pick general strategy for each day. (Do we focus attacks on the apartment block in B17-C19 or strengthen the right flank?)

Or maybe both?

I definitely want to have some input for which reinforcement groups get picked and how they get deployed.

Maybe even throw in a German vs Hungarian meta as they fight for Purchase Points and/or VP. Good relations between the two allows them to form firegroups together (splitting any gained VP) and so on.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Finster Dexter posted:

The idea would be to play the Northern (with Southern being off-limits) until CG III is "supposed" to start. Keep all the units from CG II and add CG III.

:getin:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

My plan is either:

Gonna hijack your thread to post my Pegasus Bridge CG as well :evilbuddy:

Finster Dexter posted:

HASLs are a hell of a drug

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Or maybe have parts of Southern not off-limits, but giving you a + DRM or - PP for infringing on another Russia commander's territory/going outside your mandate/pissing off Stalin.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Gonna hijack your thread to post my Pegasus Bridge CG as well :evilbuddy:

HASLs are a hell of a drug

Would enjoy that, unironically.

Let's Play Advanced Squad Leader: Playing this alone is such a HASL

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 6, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

That's HASL?? oh no I want it so bad, now

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Would enjoy that, unironically.

If you insist...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

That's HASL?? oh no I want it so bad, now

HASL just stands for Historical ASL - modules that use a proprietary huge map instead of the standard interchangeable modular boards. They usually have a "campaign game" that involves buying units and multiple days and board control etc...

Some examples of HASLs - Red Barricades, Kampfgruppe Peiper, Pegasus Bridge, A Bridge Too Far, Blood Reef Tarawa, Festung Budapest, Valor of the Guards, etc...

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

HASL just stands for Historical ASL - modules that use a proprietary huge map instead of the standard interchangeable modular boards. They usually have a "campaign game" that involves buying units and multiple days and board control etc...

Some examples of HASLs - Red Barricades, Kampfgruppe Peiper, Pegasus Bridge, A Bridge Too Far, Blood Reef Tarawa, Festung Budapest, Valor of the Guards, etc...

I knew H was historical, but I didn't know it was played on huge maps. I thought it still used the regular dinky maps. If you guys are doing LP of HASL that will be pretty cool.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You know what, I'll let you guys pick which HASL I do (including Pegasus Bridge above, which is the smallest HASL):

Blood Reef Tarawa (please no) [Tarawa Atoll, Pacific]

Red Barricades [Stalingrad]

Valor of the Guards [Stalingrad]

Kampfgruppe Peiper - The Bridge at Cheneux [Ardennes]

Kampfgruppe Peiper - Decision at La Gleize [Ardennes]

Kampfgruppe Peiper - Clash at Stoumont [Ardennes]

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

You know what, I'll let you guys pick which HASL I do (including Pegasus Bridge above, which is the smallest HASL):

Blood Reef Tarawa (please no) [Tarawa Atoll, Pacific]

Red Barricades [Stalingrad]

Valor of the Guards [Stalingrad]

Kampfgruppe Peiper - The Bridge at Cheneux [Ardennes]

Kampfgruppe Peiper - Decision at La Gleize [Ardennes]

Kampfgruppe Peiper - Clash at Stoumont [Ardennes]

Those all look dreamy, no way could I choose

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Since Budapest isn't on the table I'd like to see one of the Stalingrad scenarios

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I wanna pick VotG simply because Red Barricades is getting a reprint soon™

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

StashAugustine posted:

Since Budapest isn't on the table I'd like to see one of the Stalingrad scenarios

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Me and he1ixx are supposed to play VOTG someday, so I might veto that in favor of Red Barricades.

So, that's basically 3 votes for RB, I'm gonna do that.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I just stumbled on this new little company Hollandspiele. So far they have two wargames and some sort of solo game. They also have a game about the opium trade/wars by Cole Wehrle (the Pax Pamir designer) in the works and they teased on their facebook page that they are working on getting the license to an 18xx.

I read the rules to the medieval game looks like it gets a lot done with minimum fuss. The WWII game is based on the design of Bulge 20, a game I've been meaning to play for quite a while. Prices seem awfully cheap for POD and they sell print-and-play copies on wargamevault. Looks like a publisher to keep an eye on.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

COOL CORN posted:

Me and he1ixx are supposed to play VOTG someday, so I might veto that in favor of Red Barricades.

So, that's basically 3 votes for RB, I'm gonna do that.

I'm so excited.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I'm not into the whole ASL scene, but holy poo poo those maps are loving awesome.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I'm not into the whole ASL scene

Your wallet thanks you in advance

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

MikeCrotch posted:

Your wallet thanks you in advance

Right on, brother. I lack a lot of sense when it comes to throwing $$$ at games and have avoided ASL for this very reason. I would get myself in serious trouble going down that path. That Stalingrad stuff looks sweet as hell though.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Right on, brother. I lack a lot of sense when it comes to throwing $$$ at games and have avoided ASL for this very reason. I would get myself in serious trouble going down that path. That Stalingrad stuff looks sweet as hell though.

Yeah Stalingrad looks great and the Red Barricades campaign is a completely epic affair with resupply, reinforcements, a moving front. Really cool stuff. I can't wait to play it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yo, CC, get Platinum so I can work out a similar ruleset for stuff with you. It'll help if we end up using the same thread.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yo, CC, get Platinum so I can work out a similar ruleset for stuff with you. It'll help if we end up using the same thread.

OK done

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I really do love craigslist, got another deal. This time for a BA fallschirmjager army under $100

x38 infantry
Panzer 3
Panzer 4
Puma Armoured Car
Hanomag Half-trak x2
HQ blister
Mortar Blister
MMG blister
Sniper, flamer models

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

My craigslist never has cool game stuff :smith:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Finster Dexter posted:

I wasn't aware you could even buy anything on Craigslist that wasn't the services of sex workers

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

My craigslist is a depressing rustbelt wasteland where people try to sell game consoles for more than you would pay at gamestop.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Finster Dexter posted:

I moved somewhere full of cool people and it suddenly opened the floodgates. There was not anything on it in Arkansas besides chickens/pigs and hunting equipment.

e: Thought this was the historicals miniature thread whoops

goodness fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 7, 2016

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I have probably ask before but what's the best war game to teach a 10 year old?

I have taught him to play star realms and castles of burgundy so he is capable of more.

I was thinking Memoir 44?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

I have probably ask before but what's the best war game to teach a 10 year old?

I have taught him to play star realms and castles of burgundy so he is capable of more.

I was thinking Memoir 44?

M'44 is a great game for kids. It's fairly simple, and you get to play with little plastic army men!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

M'44 is a great game for kids. It's fairly simple, and you get to play with little plastic army men!

That's what I was thinking. I wanted it anyways so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Playing Next War: Taiwan as my first big actual wargame. It feels odd how you can't support a defense on a tile using adjacent friendly forces in a similar manner as to how attackers can.

Hell is this an ok thread to talk about rule confusion etc?