Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whypick1 posted:

Oh come on, you're not that far removed from the "TOM BRADY AND THE PATRIOTS ARE DONE" game.

Well if that had actually happened I'd feel differently of course.

e: Yeah that was also Monday night I guess after looking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

Emmanuel Sanders did the same dance Antonio Brown did after a TD in Cincinnati and didn't get fined :iiam:

True, but AB is also doing the Marshawn Lynch crazy cleats thing too, so the NFL probably views it as a defiance , which is somehow dangerous to the brand

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

True, but AB is also doing the Marshawn Lynch crazy cleats thing too, so the NFL probably views it as a defiance , which is somehow dangerous to the brand

He's only the face of WRs who arne't crying Jordan Odell babies. They should cut him some slack. wait, no fun league. off with their salary heads!

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Brannock posted:

I think you're underrating how incredibly challenging it is to produce a NFL game the way we see it on TV. You have multiple cameras, sound receivers, interviewers, broadcasters, the production room, statistics, the truck, and you have to juggle everything all at once, cut highlights, cue up graphics and such, all on maybe a 7 second delay at most. Movie sets are idylls compared to sports TV production.

The point isn't the difference in difficulty, it's the appeal. They don't release Packers Football 2016 Episodes 1-8 all at the same time on Netflix when they go on a bye in November and the rest in January, they're all live viewing. What he's saying is there's nothing to pirate if the NFL committed to opening avenues to let people legally watch the game of their choice. If you miss a game, no one's downloading week 3 from pirate bay to "catch up" in week 7. If you cannot make someone tune in live, they won't tune in.

It's not an infrastructure thing either. NBC streams all the games, ESPN streams all the games, CBS CAN stream all the games but would you kindly pay money for our broadcast television on a computer, technology from the future that is too scary for old people, loving twitter streams football games. poo poo I watched the last Super Bowl NBC broadcast on a tablet in bed because I was sick and it was awesome. It's a hilariously appropriate dichotomy that the NFL for the first time ever has a really good official highlight library on youtube not behind their lovely unnavigateable website and 3 minute ads, but gifs are killing the game. I mean this sincerely, my interest in football in general has increased because they have aggregated all the week's games highlights into a playlist in HD.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Brannock posted:

I remember when MNF was a huge major event and it was a big deal for your team to be on MNF

Now SNF's taken that place

I remember there was a string of years that the Seahawks weren't featured on MNF and the Seattle papers would write articles lamenting our lack of national exposure.

Now? It's like "who cares."

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
You guys think making return from IR unlimited would be a good thing? Player still out for 8 weeks but you can bring any number of them back. That or maybe expand the roster size.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

In the NFL season opener, Darian Stewart of the Broncos was fined $18,231 for an illegal hit on league MVP Cam Newton. Under the new guidelines, had the Broncos or Panthers then used Twitter to post video of the hit that was not a "re-post" of a "League video," the team could be hit with a $25,000 fine — more than Stewart was fined for delivering the illegal hit in the first place.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

WRT celebrations, what if Vince Mcmahon ran the league? I bet he knows how to play off large audiences.

Just a thought.....

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Brannock posted:

I remember when MNF was a huge major event and it was a big deal for your team to be on MNF

Now SNF's taken that place

Yeah, from what I recall, ESPN thought they could pull in more subscribers by taking over MNF despite the falling ratings for MNF. Then NBC went all in on making SNF the premier game showcase and now here we are.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

WHOOPS posted:

Yeah, from what I recall, ESPN thought they could pull in more subscribers by taking over MNF despite the falling ratings for MNF. Then NBC went all in on making SNF the premier game showcase and now here we are.

SNF will never compare to MNF while Gruden is there.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

A l a carte pricing is really tricky--it's what everyone actually wants, but the last thing cable companies want to provide. It's easy for ESPN or HBO to get away with charging $25 per month for their content, but much harder for smaller networks. And the rub is that most networks are owned by a larger company--NBC owns Bravo, USA, Syfy, CNBC, MSNBC, and a host of other smaller networks. They'd much rather you buy all of them as a package deal, because they know that no one is going to pay those kinds of costs for Oxygen and Golf Channel and Cloo, and the subscriber bases won't be large enough to cover those networks. They're much more valuable as sources of ad revenue, because of how they can sell the respective audiences of each network.

Cable is one of the biggest scams in America right now, though--not only are you paying a subscription fee for those channels, you still get ads, and more of them--cable shows cram in 1-2 extra minutes of ads per half hour over broadcast shows, and even speed up old shows in syndication to fit in more ads.

On that note, the amount of ad revenue networks get for NFL games is loving insane, and a clear indicator of why they don't give a gently caress about streaming games--NBC's streams aren't making anywhere near the $674k they get for a 30s ad for Sunday Night Football on TV (the streams likely top out at a $50 CPM if it's not being offered as added value to a TV buy, which with 3.4M unique streamers in 2015 would optimisitically have made them around $50-$100M for the whole season where at least year's price of $603M per 30s spot, a single episode of SNF would net more than $60M in ad revenue (the average NFL game features more than 100 30-second ad spots).

AdAge just put out a great article about this, for those interested: http://adage.com/article/news/tv-ad-pricing-chart/305899/

I know I'm a bit late, but I just wanted to chime in and add that every significant Telecommunications company is basically poo poo and do not deserve anyone's support. If you can find a way to gently caress them over and still get on with your life, I encourage it.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that Sean Payton must be fired.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

a new study bible! posted:

WRT celebrations, what if Vince Mcmahon ran the league? I bet he knows how to play off large audiences.

Just a thought.....
The XFL allowed for pretty much any celebrations including organized which long ago the NFL said was a big no-no

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

shyduck posted:

The XFL allowed for pretty much any celebrations including organized which long ago the NFL said was a big no-no

Quality of play was garbage though.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The marquee night went from Monday to Sunday because as parity increased games that looked good on paper on Mondays ended up as crap

Like the Jets in 2005 had 2 Monday night games and finished 4-12

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 6, 2016

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Chichevache posted:

The new guy with Gruden is so loving bad though. He might be more boring and bland than Joe Buck.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

WHOOPS posted:

Al & Cris > Gruden & whatever shitshow they run out,there with him, so it really isn't surprising. NBC obviously puts way more effort into SNF than ESPN does with MNF, and it shows in the quality of the broadcast

Chichevache posted:

Disagree, the production around SNF is way better than MNF even if Gruden is better than Collinsworth. Gruden is still not on Al's level tho

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Al and Cris are very good.

Gruden is just fun as hell.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Jim Schwartz is awesome and I wish he was my team's defensive coordinator

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

gruden/tirico was the best and i'm sad the duo broke up

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Sour Diesel posted:

gruden/tirico was the best and i'm sad the duo broke up

Remember when Jaws and Dick Vermiel did TNF? That was a good duo.

What happened to Dick Vermiel anyway

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Disagree, the production around SNF is way better than MNF even if Gruden is better than Collinsworth. Gruden is still not on Al's level tho

I agree that SNF production values and effort as a whole are much better than MNF, but Cris Collinsworth actually bothers me that much. All too often I have to watch football with people who have terrible opinions and no knowledge, but a boundless desire to share what they believe anyway. Since I'm trying to be a good person and not start fights with family, I nod my head and try to tune them out. The games I get to myself are a rare treat that I value almost as much as I valued privacy and an Internet connection when I was thirteen.

Cris Collinsworth is the retards-who-make-me-taste-bile manifest upon my television like some kind of demonic, counter-counterculture Max Headroom; he violates the time most sacred to me. He's Mom, intruding upon your mancave even though you've told her a million times to knock first. The worst violation is the violation of a safe place, and Cris Collinsworth is all up in my safe space.

Al Gruden is a puppy. No matter what other heinous poo poo is going on around you, your mood will be improved by his innocent energy. When football is on Gruden's tail starts wagging and he takes off. He preaches love and waxes poetic for hours, and I take it all in like a sermon from Christ himself; stripped naked and bathing in the beauty of pure Goodness, a white hole of morality bleaching the cosmos.

Cris Collinsworth is the repressed memory that leaves you with night terrors and a fear of intimacy.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Where was the Dolphins game moved to?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I agree that SNF production values and effort as a whole are much better than MNF, but Cris Collinsworth actually bothers me that much. All too often I have to watch football with people who have terrible opinions and no knowledge, but a boundless desire to share what they believe anyway. Since I'm trying to be a good person and not start fights with family, I nod my head and try to tune them out. The games I get to myself are a rare treat that I value almost as much as I valued privacy and an Internet connection when I was thirteen.

Cris Collinsworth is the retards-who-make-me-taste-bile manifest upon my television like some kind of demonic, counter-counterculture Max Headroom; he violates the time most sacred to me. He's Mom, intruding upon your mancave even though you've told her a million times to knock first. The worst violation is the violation of a safe place, and Cris Collinsworth is all up in my safe space.

Al Gruden is a puppy. No matter what other heinous poo poo is going on around you, your mood will be improved by his innocent energy. When football is on Gruden's tail starts wagging and he takes off. He preaches love and waxes poetic for hours, and I take it all in like a sermon from Christ himself; stripped naked and bathing in the beauty of pure Goodness, a white hole of morality bleaching the cosmos.

Cris Collinsworth is the repressed memory that leaves you with night terrors and a fear of intimacy.

Cris Collinsworth has spent a lot of time in the booth hating on my favorite team, so I feel you. I try to keep in mind that he played most of his career in Cinci, so he has that bias. Somewhere around 2011, he inexplicably stopped with the incessant bitching about the Steelers, so I loathe him less. I do find his PFF ownership and bringing it into the broadcast booth to be kinda gross tho

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a new study bible! posted:

Where was the Dolphins game moved to?

Nowhere yet. It's still scheduled for 1pm on Sunday.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Pops Mgee posted:

The new guy with Gruden is so loving bad though. He might be more boring and bland than Joe Buck.

loving this. I miss Tirico so much.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

pubic works project posted:

That's how the game ends, that's how the Jets season ends:. Ugly, and a loss!

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Cris Collinsworth has spent a lot of time in the booth hating on my favorite team, so I feel you. I try to keep in mind that he played most of his career in Cinci, so he has that bias. Somewhere around 2011, he inexplicably stopped with the incessant bitching about the Steelers, so I loathe him less. I do find his PFF ownership and bringing it into the broadcast booth to be kinda gross tho

I don't know if it's "gross", exactly, if he invested in it because he thought it was good it would make sense that he'd want to use it for analysis.

The problem is PFF is trash.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I feel like there's enough footage of Collinsworth slobbing Ike Taylor to make a feature length film.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

pubic works project posted:

Yeah, new guy was noticeably bland, which is tough to do.

Also, since cancelling my NFL Game Pass trial, they come a-crawlin back, offering it for $75 now.

It'll probably work its way down to 50 halfway through the season, which will be doable since the Packers probably won't be blacked out here until week 10. Or maybe they'll listen to their market research and offer team-specific plans for cheaper, who knows. (lol no)

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Bring back Pat Summerall :zombie:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Pops Mgee posted:

I couldn't agree more, he's legitimately the most boring charisma-less announcer I've ever heard, it's like having a golf announcer in the booth of a football game

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

NattyBo posted:

Jim Schwartz is awesome and I wish he was my team's defensive coordinator

Do you bear responsibility because you brought him here.

Jesus christ, no wonder coaches hate beat reporters so much.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

hows that panthers secondary doing

quote:

Panthers CB James Bradberry is battling turf toe.

It's looking like Bradberry, fresh off getting humiliated by Julio Jones, will miss Monday's game against the Bucs. Carolina will go with some combination of Bene Benwikere, Daryl Worley, Robert McClain and Teddy Williams.

well that's great, probably ends his rookie season. how are we going to adjust?

quote:

Carolina coach Ron Rivera has "opened up the competition" at cornerback this week as his team prepares to face Tampa Bay.

The Panthers were absolutely torched by Matt Ryan and Julio Jones in Week 4 and will attempt to bounce back by shaking up their secondary. With CB James Bradberry battling turf toe and CB Bene Benwikere coming off an awful performance, Carolina will struggle to find a quick fix. Despite the problems in coverage, the Panthers D/ST is still a startable Week 5 fantasy option against turnover machine Jameis Winston.

lol

maybe don't completely gut an entire secondary next time? what is it they say about pride, again?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Guys guys I think we can all agree Phil Simms is the worst announcer.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
We're all an agreement Gabbert is still starting because Chip really is as racist as we joke about him being, right?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my appreciation for collinsworth went down the tubes since they shut down the pirate chinese stream that had al and cris talking during the commercial breaks. PFF is what it is but i hate it so much more because it's just madden ratings for the fantasy football crowd.

also i used to enjoy gruden/collinsworth talk about a play but i'd trade everything for a broadcast from a high end zone perspective. you can't see poo poo with the sideline view and the entire treat from having gruden break down a play is just being able to see what is actually going on

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/RVacchianoSNY/status/784091952421675008

Your take:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I believe him. He's not fake like cam

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

whypick1 posted:

We're all an agreement Gabbert is still starting because Chip really is as racist as we joke about him being, right?

Chip has actually been cool and good about the Kaep protest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
So it turns out Atlanta has been doing something kind of cool. Take a look at this formation.

There are eight guys in a 3-point stance at the line, but no running back in the backfield. They certainly could run it out of an almost-jumbo package like this, but instead Ryan sends Freeman out wide right. Three of those eight guys at the line are receiver-eligible TEs, and all of them run routes on this play. Out of the same formation, they could either run with the power of a goal-line package, or send out a million routes as if they were running a five-wide set.

Internet people have called this formation "Magic 3", for the three TEs that can all pass block, run block, and catch (read the article it's good). It creates matchup nightmares for defenses - when the offense can audible between jumbo and five-wide (and everything in between) and with the same personnel, it near-impossible to get yourself set right. Put a corner on some of the TEs? Congratulations, they just got pancaked in a power run. Have your linebackers play zone? Congratulations, four receivers flood the area for an easy pass. Pull a safety down and play cover 3? Maybe blitz a little? Congratulations, the QB now has at least one outside receiver in single coverage with eight in-line pass blockers to give him all the time in the world.

Football people just call this "13 personnel" (1RB, 3TE). Washington, Dallas, and the Pats have all done a bit of this in recent years (and a few other teams have mixed a pass-catching fullback into 2-TE sets which is a near-ish approximation of Magic 3). Belichick even ran out 4-TE sets a few times last year, particularly at the goal line (they'd start in jumbo and Brady would motion out Gronk and Chandler to run routes out of the same side if the run didn't look like it'd be there).

ITP just rolled out a neat article on how the Falcons are using 13 personnel this year, and it looks pretty cool. Currently, Tamme plays roughly three quarters of the snaps, Toilolo about half, and Hooper about a quarter. No other team this year has a split quite like this. Tamme is currently getting most of the targets, but rookie Hooper is already making a splash, and Toilolo can catch a pass if you need him to (though I would not recommend featuring him).

Be interesting to watch as Hooper comes into his own. There's enough talent on the team that they'll probably want to keep rolling with Mo as 2nd receiver and/or feature the running backs behind all-pro fullback Patrick DiMarco, but I would really love to see a team start to get creative with 13 sets.

• Locked thread