Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Xeremides posted:

It only affects the ones with the updated firmware. The rest are totally fine. This is fine. Everything is fine.

I love the part in the video where there is obviously a basketball game going on, but no one is playing basketball.

Ghost hunters needed in New Orleans. Stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlvU91VPXms

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wonder if people gave a gently caress about GTAV being 30fps when it first released on PS3. they probably didn't

that being said 30fps has never bothered me as long as 1) it doesn't dip and is rocksolid and 2) it's not an action game like DMC or Bayonetta wherein 30fps would be unacceptable

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

You know, I was on the fence, but after seeing him face slam people from standing up, I think I'm sold, bugs and all

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I wonder if people gave a gently caress about GTAV being 30fps when it first released on PS3. they probably didn't

You are right. We didn't. Because it was a game released on the tail end of a system life cycle released in loving 2006. When the PC version came out, it scaled to 4k and 60 Fps and was loving gorgeous and pushed hardware boundaries. A year and a half ago. With the PS3 or XBox 360 we knew we woulnd't see that on that hardware. If GTA5 came out on PC in the shape Mafia 3 just did, there would have been an epic poo poo storm, believe me.

Of course, the difference between Rockstar and 2k is like comparing Jesus Christ to Ted Bundy. Rockstar actually gives a gently caress about their products/customers.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 6, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Serial killer shaming itt.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Serial killer shaming itt.

Hey speaking of that I wonder if I can track down Ted Bundy and kill him in his game. 1) He is white. 2) He would be roughly in his 20's.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

MadBimber posted:

You know, I was on the fence, but after seeing him face slam people from standing up, I think I'm sold, bugs and all

Oh for sure. Just make sure you get the PS4 version if you have a PS4. Otherwise on the X1 you will be at 720p30 and it looks horrid. PC version you will crash and will want to play at 1080p native. Anything higher than that your resolution crushes, along with UI and text.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Utnayan posted:

Of course, the difference between Rockstar and 2k is like comparing Jesus Christ to Ted Bundy.

This is the dumbest sentence I have seen all year.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

The GIG posted:

i kinda want to frame it for posterity

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

When I want people to see me as making serious statement and not being a hyperbolic idiot, my first choice is always Jesus and serial murder comparisons.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

The GIG posted:

Until 2k patches Bioshock: Remastered on PC so that it stops crashing, and resetting my difficulty to medium, they're full on serial killers. No hyperbole here.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I legitimately can't figure out if anyone in this thread has played the game

Olavi
Aug 8, 2013

Utnayan posted:

Rockstar actually gives a gently caress about their products/customers.

You MUST be joking right.. Have you not read about GTAV online banning poo poo storm and the fact that they still sell GTA 4 on steam, even tough it can't be played anymore.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

vainman posted:

unlocks in 6 hours for me

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

The GIG posted:

Why do you feel that way? Look at the consumer friendly game launches of Rockstar games compared to 2k. If you want we can just compare and contrast Mafia Vs GTA series alone. Here's an example: If GTA 5 was published by 2k, two of the three major character plot lines would have been stripped to sell as DLC (The Franklin Pack and the Trevor Pack), all open world activities would have been DLC (Michael's Vendetta) and the PC version would have come out running at 720p30 for console parity wrapped around a review embargo with youtubers and a few twitch streamers flown all expenses paid to New York City for a weekend to promote the game without FCC regulated banners.

Oops.

Don't worry Gig, I am still getting the game on PS4.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 6, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

vainman posted:

I have, 3 and a half hours. Got to get some sleep though... I put a (positive) review on steam too and reddit nerds are calling me a shill because I didn't complain about frame rates. :laffo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game looks fan-fuckin-tastic and the people review-bombing it for having a 30 fps lock are manbabies (manbabies who don't know how to use Rivatuner as well). I am excited to play the videogame Mafia 3.

edit: I am also excited for silly bugs to happen because gently caress it why not

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Utnayan posted:

Of course, the difference between Rockstar and 2k is like comparing Jesus Christ to Ted Bundy. Rockstar actually gives a gently caress about their products/customers.

holy poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Rockstar actually gives a gently caress about their customers", man says about company that's been delaying singleplayer dlc for literally 3 years in favor of pushing out monthly mixture of paid, free, and otherwise gated behind ingame cash multiplayer dlc packs

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Xeremides posted:

Until 2k patches Bioshock: Remastered on PC so that it stops crashing, and resetting my difficulty to medium, they're full on serial killers. No hyperbole here.

That too. Jesus. Crashed 5 times. But I cannot complain about that because it was free since I already owned all three games.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

CJacobs posted:

"Rockstar actually gives a gently caress about their customers", man says about company that's been delaying singleplayer dlc for literally 3 years in favor of pushing out monthly mixture of paid, free, and otherwise gated behind ingame cash multiplayer dlc packs

Would you rather see RDR2 ship by next Spring, or would you rather play a 19 dollar DLC for GTA 5?

Choice is yours.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Lol at people totally fine with 30fps. Good future example for companies- no more need to optimize games because people will be fine with poo poo locks! That and you probably didn't put some money into a good enough computer to expect good performance.

Same stuff with preorder exclusives, in game microtransactions - same group of people who don't really care if their game is filled with crap and make fun of others for wanting a quality product.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

CJacobs posted:

They're too busy working on a remastered Red Dead Redemption for PC.

It's happening. No, shut up. It's happening.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Utnayan posted:

Why do you feel that way? Look at the consumer friendly game launches of Rockstar games compared to 2k. If you want we can just compare and contrast Mafia Vs GTA series alone. Here's an example: If GTA 5 was published by 2k, two of the three major character plot lines would have been stripped to sell as DLC (The Franklin Pack and the Trevor Pack), all open world activities would have been DLC (Michael's Vendetta) and the PC version would have come out running at 720p30 for console parity wrapped around a review embargo with youtubers and a few twitch streamers flown all expenses paid to New York City for a weekend to promote the game without FCC regulated banners.

Oops.

Nice meltdown

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kontradaz posted:

Lol at people totally fine with 30fps. Good future example for companies- no more need to optimize games because people will be fine with poo poo locks! That and you probably didn't put some money into a good enough computer to expect good performance.

Same stuff with preorder exclusives, in game microtransactions - same group of people who don't really care if their game is filled with crap and make fun of others for wanting a quality product.

I would rather they shoot for a stable 30 that they know they can hit than a variable 60 that fluctuates like a rollercoaster. That's my logic, take it or leave it. :shrug:

edit: Also, it does not cost you any extra money to play a game at 30fps, that is a pretty fallacious arguing point my man

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

CJacobs posted:

I would rather they shoot for a stable 30 that they know they can hit than a variable 60 that fluctuates like a rollercoaster. That's my logic, take it or leave it. :shrug:

edit: Also, it does not cost you any extra money to play a game at 30fps, that is a pretty fallacious arguing point my man

This isn't the console market though... people have different setups that range from not being able to run the game to being to run it 60+. Why lock out a good portion of consumers? Like literally every other game on the PC doesn't have this lock and leaves it up to you to set the settings or upgrade your computer to the power you prefer.

The point that I made is that if people are fine with stuff like this, it will continue to perpetuate. Why spend development budget on PC optimization when people will be fine with 30FPS? Why spend money on developing extra content when you can create microtransaction to make the $$?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Also, it does not cost you any extra money to play a game at 30fps, that is a pretty fallacious arguing point my man

No, but it sure doesn't help our hardware investments (The same investments publishers like 2k make revenue off of when they plaster "RUNS LIKE A BABY BACK RIB PLATE WHEN FAT ALBERT COMES IN THE HOUSE WHEN YOU USE NVIDIA") all over their game and also promote buying hardware to support higher end gaming and then just common denominate develop, rush a 3rd party port out the door, and give the middle finger to that entire consumer base.

That's always great thinking isn't it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nobody is locked out of playing a videogame by it being targeted at 30 fps. You're only locked out if you choose to have a moral standing against it. It's a self-imposed barrier. I agree that it is better to leave it in the hands of the end-user to tweak their own settings but the only people it's locking out are snooty dudes who turn up their nose at "console plebs".

edit: the problem with allowing people to take 100% advantage of their hardware is exactly what you said. Everybody's computer is different, and if you try to make it so everybody can play your game by totally unrestricting it, it's gonna be a madhouse. Limits like this are a way for the developers to make sure that everyone can play it without throwing caution to the wind.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 6, 2016

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

CJacobs posted:

They shoot for a "stable" 30 fps on consoles because their hardware is garbage. That's why both consoles are getting a refresh half-way through their life cycle. That doesn't happen with PC. Can't play the game at 60 on ultra settings? Lower it to High, and still get 60 fps. High still too demanding? Lower it to medium. Or low. Or hell, feel fine with 45 fps so long as the game looks a little better? You can do that, too. We have options. Consoles don't.

CJacobs posted:

Nobody is locked out of playing a videogame by it being targeted at 30 fps. You're only locked out if you choose to have a moral standing against it. It's a self-imposed barrier. I agree that it is better to leave it in the hands of the end-user to tweak their own settings but the only people it's locking out are snooty dudes who turn up their nose at "console plebs".

Locking the game to 30 fps is an imposition on everyone who plays the game, whether they're fine with it or not. Which is absurd and completely unnecessary when our hardware is perfectly capable of running the game at higher fps. The game isn't even optimized correctly, which is why there's stuttering and performance dips even with the 30 fps lock. I wouldn't be surprised if it was only a delaying action to get the game out the door so they can finish working on via patches.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 6, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I just want to know if it's actually fun to play in terms of controls, feedback and what all there is to do. Like, sure, it's more fun if it's prettier, but if all the cars handle like a lawnmower on a farmfield and even your own character moves like a janky mess, the thing could look like the Mona Lisa and I wouldn't go for it.

Conversely, if the graphics look like they're straight out of a game from 2006 but nothing hiccups and the cars drive in a fun way, I'm totally cool with buying and playing the game.

Thing is, everybody's talking about 30 fps and if anybody's said anything about how literally any other part of the game fares, I've missed it, so I can't tell if it even passes my scrub-tier standards for a game.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

CJacobs posted:

What about people like me who have an Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, and a gaming PC with a newly installed 1070 and just want to try something different with a better graphical experience by going with a PC version for once now that I have a new upgrade?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think the people upset about 60 FPS are pc players. I mean it's not unprecedented. Most games will run at 60 FPS provided your machine can support it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Utnayan posted:

What about people like me who have an Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, and a gaming PC with a newly installed 1070 and just want to try something different with a better graphical experience by going with a PC version for once now that I have a new upgrade?

Then you've got too-high expectations. Who says that the hardware advancements of PCs mean that absolutely all software must also be more advanced than the competition? If you bought a PC with fancy parts expecting it to always beat out consoles, you bought it for the wrong reasons. That's not the developers' fault.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Utnayan posted:

Oops.

You still haven't explained how this is like noted murder man Ted Bundy and how Rockstar is like OLaS Jesus Christ

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

edit: the problem with allowing people to take 100% advantage of their hardware is exactly what you said. Everybody's computer is different, and if you try to make it so everybody can play your game by totally unrestricting it, it's gonna be a madhouse. Limits like this are a way for the developers to make sure that everyone can play it without throwing caution to the wind.

I don't know, PC Game developers have managed to have unlocked FPS games for 20+ years without the market crashing and just now we need to start adding restrictions? Lack of logic bro.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

CJacobs posted:

No. Nobody is being locked out but I can't think of a reason for 60 FPS to not be an option considering the competition on pc.

People are allowed to be upset about design decisions and you're allowed to be fine with them.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Then you've got too-high expectations. Who says that the hardware advancements of PCs mean that absolutely all software must also be more advanced than the competition? If you bought a PC with fancy parts expecting it to always beat out consoles, you bought it for the wrong reasons. That's not the developers' fault.

Any high-end rig is capable of outpacing any of the current-gen consoles provided the devs actually take advantage of the PC's hardware. If they choose not to, it's because they suck. 60 fps is the minimum standard on PC. 30 is the minimum standard on consoles. When consoles can afford 60 fps, they absolutely target that. Halo 5 sacrificed graphical fidelity to achieve 60 fps. The Last of Us was ported to the PS4 with higher res textures...and 60 fps. Why 60 fps? For the hell of it? Because it's a better experience. Because the PS3's hardware couldn't support it, but the PS4's can. And if you're insane, there's an option to lower it back down to 30. That's how it should be. You construct a pull up bar that anyone can use. You don't build one 3 feet high and then tell everyone over that height to just deal with it. For anyone who's mind is still blown by the Rockstar vs 2k thing, yes, I'm talking about literally constructing a pull up bar. This isn't a metaphor.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 6, 2016

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

Limits like this are a way for the developers to make sure that everyone can play it without throwing caution to the wind.

what does that even mean

e: But, in any case, if a patch is coming, I guess I won't be interrupting my Dragon's Dogma playthrough for now. Gonna check back in a week.

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

FPS lock and dlc is much like an encounter with rapist killer Ted Bundy

• Locked thread