Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

gret posted:

Get an AndroidWear watch? v:shobon:v

I have one. I typically take it off in the evening because I want to unwind when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The Android Snapchat app is so bad that up until a few updates ago, it didn't actually take photos. All it did was take a screenshot of what was showing on your viewfinder and that's what you got.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I have one. I typically take it off in the evening because I want to unwind when I get home.

How can you unwind when you have a light constantly blinking at you? Like, if someone needs you urgently, they'll call. I guess I just don't feel the need to respond to my notifications immediately.

Edit: I'm not attacking anyone about this, I was just honestly surprised this was still a thing and I'm trying to understand it. It's not something I want, so I hope I can turn it off. I guess I could always just set my phone face down.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 6, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RZA Encryption posted:

How can you unwind when you have a light constantly blinking at you? Like, if someone needs you urgently, they'll call. I guess I just don't feel the need to respond to my notifications immediately.

There's more nuance than those binary extremes. First, the light isn't constantly blinking. Notifications come in very infrequently because I have them tuned such that only stuff I care to be notified about notifies me. I get maybe a notification every 2 hours or so unless I'm actually engaged in a conversation.

There's such a thing as opportunistic conversations that are not urgent but are fleeting. If it's one of my friends I don't get to chat with often, I don't want to pick up my phone the following morning only to find out I missed the chance to chat because I had no indication of the conversation.

Also, calls are a good point. Without a missed call notification, how am I to know I missed an urgent call when I was out of earshot of my phone or happened to have it on silent?

At any rate, you've never not been able to disable a notification LED so you shouldn't have any issue.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 6, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

There's more nuance than those binary extremes. First, the light isn't constantly blinking. Notifications come in very infrequently because I have them tuned such that only stuff I care to be notified about notifies me. I get maybe a notification every 2 hours or so unless I'm actually engaged in a conversation.

There's such a thing as opportunistic conversations that are not urgent but are fleeting. If it's one of my friends I don't get too chat with often, I don't want to pick up my phone the following morning only to find out I missed the chance to chat because I had no indication of the conversation.

Also, calls are a good point. Without a missed call notification, how am I to know I missed an urgent call when I was out of earshot of my phone or happened to have it on silent?

At any rate, you've never not been able to disable a notification LED so you shouldn't have any issue.

I guess this is just one of many differences on how people use their phones.

Good to hear I'll likely be able to turn if off, thanks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RZA Encryption posted:

Edit: I'm not attacking anyone about this, I was just honestly surprised this was still a thing and I'm trying to understand it. It's not something I want, so I hope I can turn it off. I guess I could always just set my phone face down.

Because if you know you have a message, you can choose to ignore it until you want to read it.

Without an indicator, you have to keep checking your phone, because in your head you're always asking yourself, 'Did I get a notification now? I better go check... nope. I'll check again later. Now? drat, still nothing. Boy, I wish I had a simple indicator to tell me from a distance, so I didn't have to get up to check my phone every five minutes, or always keep it on my person...'

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Because if you know you have a message, you can choose to ignore it until you want to read it.

Without an indicator, you have to keep checking your phone, because in your head you're always asking yourself, 'Did I get a notification now? I better go check... nope. I'll check again later. Now? drat, still nothing. Boy, I wish I had a simple indicator to tell me from a distance, so I didn't have to get up to check my phone every five minutes, or always keep it on my person...'

If you want the flashing light, go for it, but don't pretend that the only other way to operate is to constantly check your phone. You can just not care as much about it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I don't want to have to pick it up or turn it on when I feel like checking. :effort:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just got a notice that my replacement Note 7 had shipped.
:flame:

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Strange question. I was recording a video on my Galaxy Note 4, and I pressed stop to finish. Everything seemed fine but I guess it was still processing. I switched to my podcast app and started listening, then maybe 15 seconds later my phone shut itself down due to running out of battery. It was at 26% when I started filming and the video was 2 minutes so I wasn't expecting it to be an issue.

Anyways, just charged and booted back up. The video is in Gallery without a thumbnail and playing it tells me "Can't play this file". Going through Google Photos is similar: I don't get an error message, just indefinite spinny thing.

Is there any way I can fix this video? I was documenting myself taking the punishment for a lost bet and I really don't want to do it again.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Strange question. I was recording a video on my Galaxy Note 4, and I pressed stop to finish. Everything seemed fine but I guess it was still processing. I switched to my podcast app and started listening, then maybe 15 seconds later my phone shut itself down due to running out of battery. It was at 26% when I started filming and the video was 2 minutes so I wasn't expecting it to be an issue.

Anyways, just charged and booted back up. The video is in Gallery without a thumbnail and playing it tells me "Can't play this file". Going through Google Photos is similar: I don't get an error message, just indefinite spinny thing.

Is there any way I can fix this video? I was documenting myself taking the punishment for a lost bet and I really don't want to do it again.

Sounds like the video wasn't finished being processed, no idea if there's anyway to fix it but I'd guess it's just corrupted for good. I kinda hope it is, so that you have to chug those beers (or whatever) again :)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

If it is anything like the 6p then it also probably shows notifications and time on the screen when you pick it up from your deck or pocket. The notifications are in greyscale and don't seem to impact the battery much.

Thank you, for whatever reason reading this was the final impetus I needed to turn active display off on my 6P. It has never been that useful to me, and it drives me nuts that whenever I pick the phone up I either have to hit the power button twice to turn the screen completely off before putting it in my pocket, or I have to wait for the active display to turn off again. If I don't make sure the screen is 100% off, it is pretty much guaranteed to start doing poo poo when it touches my leg through my pocket.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Bull summed it up really well but I'll throw in my two cents since I love the LED.

One, I tune my notifications so that I'm only getting ones I care about. That way by definition if there is a notification light, it's something I want to see right away. Lots of notifications I get don't generate an LED, only the ones I actually want to see.

Two, using LightFlow I have assigned colors to everything so that I know, with reasonable specificity, what notifications are pending. So with a glance across the room I know what is waiting for me.

Three, also using LightFlow, I have the LED pulse very long and very slow, so that it isn't overly distracting or too bright. It's a gentle but consistent glow that doesn't draw attention to itself but is immediately noticeable upon glancing.

I guess I should mention that I keep my phone on Tylt Vus at home so it's always sitting upright in a way I can see it from a distance and I usually don't wear my watch around the house. I also work overnight and sleep in the day so it's not like the LED is ever inconveniently illuminating a dark room. That combination of factors makes it so I can just glance at the device from time to time without needing to interact with it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like the LG V20 is starting at $830...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Welp.

https://9to5google.com/2016/10/06/g...curity-updates/

Google will handle the monthly updates. Verizon will handle the OS updates.

This is hilarious.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Mental Hospitality posted:

E: Remember when having the smallest phone was a status symbol? I had a Motorola C350 that was less than 4 inches tall. :iia:
I remember.

How soon can you have your bags packed for Milan?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Sounds like the video wasn't finished being processed, no idea if there's anyway to fix it but I'd guess it's just corrupted for good. I kinda hope it is, so that you have to chug those beers (or whatever) again :)

I got most of it back with some freeware video editing tool. Ha!

Still 5 beers left though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Welp.

This is hilarious.

Anybody who buys a Pixel FROM Verizon is an idiot. So, it really doesn't change much.

The same was true with the N6 and all carriers.

Consider this. Verizon is the only one carrying it. That means they were likely the EASIEST to deal with at this point. ATT probably remembers the N6 drama and said 'nope.'

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Anybody who buys a Pixel FROM Verizon is an idiot. So, it really doesn't change much.

The same was true with the N6 and all carriers.

Consider this. Verizon is the only one carrying it. That means they were likely the EASIEST to deal with at this point. ATT probably remembers the N6 drama and said 'nope.'

I'd bet phones bought from Google directly but on the Verizon network will be treated identically to ones sold by Verizon.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Welp.

This is hilarious.

I suspect the only people that are going to buy their Pixel directly from Verizon are the sort of people who don't know that you can buy from the Google store, and also don't particularly care about OS updates.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RZA Encryption posted:

I'd bet phones bought from Google directly but on the Verizon network will be treated identically to ones sold by Verizon.

It's already been confirmed by both Google and Verizon that this is not the case.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's already been confirmed by both Google and Verizon that this is not the case.

I'll keep my bet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I'd wager you're correct. That said at least those would have an unlocked bootloader so the user could, in theory, get around Verizon's fuckery.

Luchadork posted:

I suspect the only people that are going to buy their Pixel directly from Verizon are the sort of people who don't know that you can buy from the Google store, and also don't particularly care about OS updates.

This is also correct.

bull3964 posted:

Google will control the updates, sure, but they still need to get them carrier tested first and do you think Google is going to submit the Play Store variant to Verizon along with the Verizon Snowflake version for testing? Of course not. They're going to submit one build, the one for Verizon-specific devices, and when that's done they'll push the update.

So while Google will be the one pushing the update and it will come "from Google", it will be contingent on Verizon's approval so in a de facto sense it will be on Verizon's timeline. The only question will be as to whether every unlocked device will have to wait on the update because of Verizon, if they'll use SIM card marriage to restrict the update path (so far only AT&T has done this), or if they'll use specific Verizon firmware for that branch of unlocked devices like the Nexus 6 did with T-Mobile (to incorporate their wifi calling before it was merged into Android, IIRC).

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 6, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RZA Encryption posted:

I'll keep my bet.

You didn't actually bet anything.

Verizon was more hands off with the Nexus 6 than ATT and they don't give a poo poo about the 5x, 6p, or MXP.

Rollout is via IMEI and Google knows which ones they sold and they don't have carrier information associated with it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You didn't actually bet anything.

Verizon was more hands off with the Nexus 6 than ATT and they don't give a poo poo about the 5x, 6p, or MXP.

You're right but they have historically been much more restrictive when it comes to phone models they sell. As far as I know they didn't carry any of the models you listed in store.

I would think from a support perspective they would be disinterested in having the unlocked devices of the same type as a carrier device on the network with different firmware levels. And given that they do have a say in vetting the firmware, why would they not strive to keep them in synchronicity?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't actually see much of an overlap of people who want a Nexus Pixel but will only buy from the carrier. People going to the Verizon store will be leaving with whatever the salesman is getting a spiff for that week, and people wanting Pixels will just buy from Google.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

LastInLine posted:

You're right but they have historically been much more restrictive when it comes to phone models they sell. As far as I know they didn't carry any of the models you listed in store.

I would think from a support perspective they would be disinterested in having the unlocked devices of the same type as a carrier device on the network with different firmware levels. And given that they do have a say in vetting the firmware, why would they not strive to keep them in synchronicity?

Verizon sold the Nexus 6. Did they ever dick with/hold up any updates to Google Store-bought models that were on the network?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Luchadork posted:

Verizon sold the Nexus 6. Did they ever dick with/hold up any updates to Google Store-bought models that were on the network?

They sold the N6 in store and they did nothing to interfere with updates.

LastInLine posted:

Because they know, historically, people only seek in store device help with devices that are purchased in the store.

There's also no real confirmation there will be a big delta anyways. Google takes weeks to roll out updates and Verizon validation has been happening quicker and quicker. Keep in mind that Verizon still does carrier validation on Apple builds as well, so it doesn't have to add a delay in the process.

You also don't need an unlocked bootloader to flash an OTA, only a full image.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 7, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hi I'm probably going to buy a Pixel in a couple weeks depending on what Verizon tells me about keeping my current plan because I still technically have an upgrade in march but my contract ended six months ago, this is surprising because my last android phone was a galaxy nexus that bricked itself for no apparent reason so I went to apple like three years ago, the pixel looks pretty goddamn sweet though, well that's my story hope you liked it

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any word on how long the Pixel phones are guaranteed updates?

Nexus phones were guaranteed 2 years of updates from the date the device became available

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

EugeneJ posted:

Any word on how long the Pixel phones are guaranteed updates?

Nexus phones were guaranteed 2 years of updates from the date the device became available

2 years for the OS, 3 for security updates.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Because they know, historically, people only seek in store device help with devices that are purchased in the store.

Hadn't considered that, it's a good point. Also given the Pixel's 24/7 support feature I guess that's sort of a moot point as Google would be handling the support regardless.

bull3964 posted:

There's also no real confirmation there will be a big delta anyways. Google takes weeks to roll out updates and Verizon validation has been happening quicker and quicker. Keep in mind that Verizon still does carrier validation on Apple builds as well, so it doesn't have to add a delay in the process.

Honestly I'm placing the blame more on Google since they're the ones likely to not have updates ready quickly enough for timely carrier evaluation, unlike Apple.

bull3964 posted:

You also don't need an unlocked bootloader to flash an OTA, only a full image.

Unless you have divergent upgrade paths like RZA had on AT&T. You only get OTAs from specific builds to other specific builds and if they publish and apply an update path that, say, includes a security update to a new build but not to an OS update, now you're left on a version without an OTA that moves forward.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Luchadork posted:

I have a sinking feeling that whatever Andromeda phones come out next year will have the same 5-year update guarantee of Chromebooks, and that makes me want to hold off until then

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Luchadork posted:

The Android Snapchat app is so bad that up until a few updates ago, it didn't actually take photos. All it did was take a screenshot of what was showing on your viewfinder and that's what you got.

The iPhone app also does that.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

EugeneJ posted:

I have a sinking feeling that whatever Andromeda phones come out next year will have the same 5-year update guarantee of Chromebooks, and that makes me want to hold off until then

That would be a big thing. After that they should tackle battery life.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

This won't be the case unless Google designs their own chipsets.

More info in this twitter thread: https://twitter.com/CopperheadOS/status/784059670470152192

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Unless you have divergent upgrade paths like RZA had on AT&T. You only get OTAs from specific builds to other specific builds and if they publish and apply an update path that, say, includes a security update to a new build but not to an OS update, now you're left on a version without an OTA that moves forward.

Well, that's a "known thing that can happen" now so if you buy the version with the locked bootloader (for whatever reason that is), you can just not update unless you are pushing it yourself to manage that contingency.

Suffice it to say though, you buy from the Google store and it shouldn't matter.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Luchadork posted:

Isn't the 4s or the iPhone 5 still supported? What the gently caress

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The iPhone app also does that.

jesus christ that's unbelievable. A novice developer can hook into the camera API to do custom handling on both ios and android with very little effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Isn't the 4s or the iPhone 5 still supported? What the gently caress

As I mentioned before, the oldest iOS device is getting grandfathered in at this point because it shares the same internals as the 5c which Apple was still selling last year. Hard to say what iPhones would have the latest at this point had that not been the case.

Once Google starts managing their own SoC, there will be greater latitude here.