Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Notification light was one of the reasons why I felt it wouldn't be too much of a compromise giving up Motorola's active display. Stock functionality without a notification light is not too useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I might be okay with not having a notification light if ambient display wasn't hot garbage. Notification lights forever they're the best.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

What year is it

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If it is anything like the 6p then it also probably shows notifications and time on the screen when you pick it up from your deck or pocket. The notifications are in greyscale and don't seem to impact the battery much.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Asus Zenfone 3 pricing for the US:

Laser, $199, Snapdragon 430, 32GB storage, 2GB of RAM, 5.5in 1080p LCD.
Deluxe 5.5, $399, Snapdragon 625, 64GB storage, 4GB of RAM, 5.5in 1080p LCD.
Deluxe 5.7, $499, Snapdragon 820, 64GB storage, 6GB of RAM, 5.7in 1080p AMOLED.
Deluxe 5.7 Special Edition, $799!,Snapdragon 821, 256GB storage, 6GB of RAM, 5.7in 1080p AMOLED.

The Deluxe models all seem to be about 100 dollars too expensive given their 1080p displays, in my opinion.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's not good enough for me. I need to see if there's any active notifications from across the room without interacting with the device. Until Google implements periodic 'breathing' of the notifications on screen, an LED will be necessary for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

If it is anything like the 6p then it also probably shows notifications and time on the screen when you pick it up from your deck or pocket. The notifications are in greyscale and don't seem to impact the battery much.

Ambient display or whatever whichever vendor decides to call it, has a noticeable impact on battery life. I forget which phone I read this about, but one model had a 5-10% impact.

RZA Encryption posted:

What year is it

2016 :confused:

bull3964 posted:

That's not good enough for me. I need to see if there's any active notifications from across the room without interacting with the device. Until Google implements periodic 'breathing' of the notifications on screen, an LED will be necessary for me.

This is a big advantage to a light, I can see from across the room what kind of notification I have, thanks to lightflow.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Pssh, maybe that will suffice if you don't have any real work to do; my phone communicates over Bluetooth to stop my pacemaker for a second when I need it to get my attention.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Zero VGS posted:

That requires revving up the GPU to render the image and the power to turn on thousands of OLEDs. It's certainly less power than an LCD trying to do that, but significantly more than a simple on/off LED.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

That requires revving up the GPU to render the image and the power to turn on thousands of OLEDs. It's certainly less power than an LCD trying to do that, but significantly more than a simple on/off LED.

I'm not arguing that, just saying it's there and the 6p makes it through the day.

The 6p actually had an LED notification light as well so I'm not sure why all the hullabaloo about the Pixel having it too.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

CLAM DOWN posted:

Notification lights are awesome imo, all phones should have them.

:yeah:

I miss the notification trackball on my Nexus One a lot. I don't care what anyone else says, it was great.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My credit score is 815, and when I did the check it said that it couldn't give me results and would follow up in 5-7 days. Strange.

You probably tripped one of the fraud prevention filters.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I'm not arguing that, just saying it's there and the 6p makes it through the day.

The 6p actually had an LED notification light as well so I'm not sure why all the hullabaloo about the Pixel having it too.

The 6P notification LED was only accessible by root, afaik. It was not usable even by lightflow on mine, without root.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

The 6P notification LED was only accessible by root, afaik

I think that was only the N6.

I know the 5x has a perfectly normal notification LED that you can turn on and off in the settings. It's hidden in the speaker grill.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Correct, my bad.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I know the 5x has a perfectly normal notification LED that you can turn on and off in the settings. It's hidden in the speaker grill.

And it's as bright as the sun at 2am when it blinks on my bedside and wakes up me, my wife, my kids down the hall, and my upstairs neighbors.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Funny enough, I think that situation with the N6 is a symptom of the old relationship for Nexus devices. Motorola's devices of the time (Moto X) had an LED to indicate low battery but weren't hooked up at the software level for notification since they all had Moto's Active Display. Since the N6 was a Moto X variant, that persisted and there was no notification LED.

The fact that there is an RGB notification LED on the Pixel means that Google feels it is something phones should have since they are the ones that dictated the BOM.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I really love the active display stuff on my Moto but I still want a display LED so I can see at a glance from a distance it I've got notifications.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Does anyone elses phone get ridiculously janky after 3-6 months of use? My snapchat basically doesn't work, it is so slow and buggy now it cannot take video and lags by seconds on photos. Even scrolling websites can be unpredictable, sometimes its fine, sometimes the delay in scroll is very noticeable. I have a Nexus 6P. I know if I did a factory reset everything would be snappy but I've noticed this problem across phones. After ~6 months things just slow down.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Jerk McJerkface posted:

And it's as bright as the sun at 2am when it blinks on my bedside and wakes up me, my wife, my kids down the hall, and my upstairs neighbors.

They linked the LED up to DND as of Nougat, so you can have it turn off at night along with sounds now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

5436 posted:

Does anyone elses phone get ridiculously janky after 3-6 months of use? My snapchat basically doesn't work, it is so slow and buggy now it cannot take video and lags by seconds on photos. Even scrolling websites can be unpredictable, sometimes its fine, sometimes the delay in scroll is very noticeable. I have a Nexus 6P. I know if I did a factory reset everything would be snappy but I've noticed this problem across phones. After ~6 months things just slow down.

Welcome to Android. I recommend a factory reset and fresh start.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RZA Encryption posted:

I just noticed the pixel product page mentions an RGB notification LED. I haven't had a phone with one of those in a loooooong time. I hope you can turn it off. Those things make phones look so dated. What is this, a 2008 blackberry?
Counterpoint: LED notifications own and you are wrong

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

5436 posted:

This isn't really an answer, but Snapchat is basically the worst android app ever created and will lag the gently caress out of even the best phones because the developers have never heard of threading.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

5436 posted:

I don't have any social media apps and my 5X works great. I don't know if Snapchat is the same way, but a lot of people report performance improvements when Facebook is uninstalled.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Especially after a letter upgrade.

I started on KitKat and factory reset after Marshmallow. The difference was night and day.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Taffer posted:

This isn't really an answer, but Snapchat is basically the worst android app ever created and will lag the gently caress out of even the best phones because the developers have never heard of threading.

I understand that but the performance lags across the phone. From browsing to pulling up the keyboard. Snapchat is the worst offender, its unusable.

azurite posted:

I don't have any social media apps and my 5X works great. I don't know if Snapchat is the same way, but a lot of people report performance improvements when Facebook is uninstalled.

I block facebook and those apps from location settings but it also sorta defeats the purpose of having the phone unless I can use the apps I want.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is there an explanation for this? Its very frustrating.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Mental Hospitality posted:

Asus Zenfone 3 pricing for the US:

Laser, $199, Snapdragon 430, 32GB storage, 2GB of RAM, 5.5in 1080p LCD.
Deluxe 5.5, $399, Snapdragon 625, 64GB storage, 4GB of RAM, 5.5in 1080p LCD.
Deluxe 5.7, $499, Snapdragon 820, 64GB storage, 6GB of RAM, 5.7in 1080p AMOLED.
Deluxe 5.7 Special Edition, $799!,Snapdragon 821, 256GB storage, 6GB of RAM, 5.7in 1080p AMOLED.

The Deluxe models all seem to be about 100 dollars too expensive given their 1080p displays, in my opinion.

Are these gonna be awful phones or something? ASUS seems to have a wide variety of specs/storage available (SD enabled too) and even a 6.8 inch jorts ripping behemoth Ultra.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Active Display > LED > Ambient Display

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Just turned on the notification light on my 5X. Thanks thread :thumbsup:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

5436 posted:

I understand that but the performance lags across the phone. From browsing to pulling up the keyboard. Snapchat is the worst offender, its unusable.

I block facebook and those apps from location settings but it also sorta defeats the purpose of having the phone unless I can use the apps I want.

Is there an explanation for this? Its very frustrating.

I can tell you that, from my experience with the 6P, that's not typical. Maybe there is some offending app causing the problem, but it could be a pain in the rear end to figure out. I'd do a factory reset if only because that's the simplest way to get rid of whatever it may be that's causing it. If you have time, you can try to troubleshoot, see if it's a problematic app or something.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Taffer posted:

Exactly why I straight up uninstalled it and just use stories on Instagram instead.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

sleepwalkers posted:

I can tell you that, from my experience with the 6P, that's not typical. Maybe there is some offending app causing the problem, but it could be a pain in the rear end to figure out. I'd do a factory reset if only because that's the simplest way to get rid of whatever it may be that's causing it. If you have time, you can try to troubleshoot, see if it's a problematic app or something.

Yea the only thing is I use very few apps but my phone broke anyways and a replacement is coming today so I will have a fresh phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

5436 posted:

The Snapchat android app is just bad no matter what phone you use it on :(

air- posted:

Exactly why I straight up uninstalled it and just use stories on Instagram instead.

Sure, they're better, but like any social media or sharing platform, you gotta use what all your friends use (which for me is still Snapchat).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Counterpoint: LED notifications own and you are wrong

I'm seriously surprised by the amount of LED defenders in here. I thought they went the way of hardware keyboards. Like, at least the people that want removable batteries and expandable storage have a plausible but unfortunate excuse for it (anime). People are talking about seeing it from across the room. Why would you want a blinking light nagging at you until you pay attention to it?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm seriously surprised by the amount of LED defenders in here. I thought they went the way of hardware keyboards. Like, at least the people that want removable batteries and expandable storage have a plausible but unfortunate excuse for it (anime). People are talking about seeing it from across the room. Why would you want a blinking light nagging at you until you pay attention to it?

Because I want to know if I got a notification without babysitting my phone while I'm trying to do other stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RZA Encryption posted:

People are talking about seeing it from across the room. Why would you want a blinking light nagging at you until you pay attention to it?

How else am I supposed to know that something needs attention?

When I get home, I put my phone down on a bookshelf in the living room on a charger. I don't want to have to go over to it and periodically check the thing to ensure I didn't miss a notification. That doesn't seem like a hard thing to grasp.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

Are these gonna be awful phones or something? ASUS seems to have a wide variety of specs/storage available (SD enabled too) and even a 6.8 inch jorts ripping behemoth Ultra.

They're made by Asus, so massive piles of poo poo that you won't be able to get fixed if they break.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

People have presented their use cases to you for an LED notification light, I'm not sure why this is so hard.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

bull3964 posted:

How else am I supposed to know that something needs attention?

When I get home, I put my phone down on a bookshelf in the living room on a charger. I don't want to have to go over to it and periodically check the thing to ensure I didn't miss a notification. That doesn't seem like a hard thing to grasp.

Get an AndroidWear watch? v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My girlfriend who is an iOS user is always seeing my phone's notification light and saying "Goddamn I wish I had a notification light." I used to love it more than life itself but now that I have a Wear device I find it's only useful at home when I take off my watch.

The worst method is the kind where the screen comes on when you touch the phone. Piss trash for idiots, that is. Why yes, phone, let me know I have something to view only when I'm literally picking up the phone, you know, that time when I would've seen whatever it is on my own! It's an anti-notification in that it only alerts you at the specific moment that it's useless to do so. Absolute garbage.