Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

anthonypants posted:

oracle made the loving operator a plus sign???
in that some rear end in a top hat mixed join logic with filtering logic and hosed your query, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

so if i can access object properties like this: obj[1]=10,obj["gently caress you"]=420
and arrays can also have subscripts like obj["gently caress you"]

what the gently caress is the point of an array in javascript? just a length property that becomes worthless if you put in string properties?

arrays and objects are different, you can just address them with the same syntax if you want.

hell, in swift you can write [] style accessors for arbitrary classes.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

NihilCredo posted:

check the function's signature

Help me out I'm obv missing something (my brain is about done for the day)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

dick traceroute posted:

I have pondered this one quite a bit. Best explanation we've been able to come up with is he didn't know about nullable columns at the time.

but nullable is the default for a column :confused:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Finster Dexter posted:

Help me out I'm obv missing something (my brain is about done for the day)

it doesn't take in a string like "H". it takes in a whole data row and implicitly looks for a field named "Priority"

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

but nullable is the default for a column :confused:

Is it? I haven't had the need to create a table yet. Maybe his plan was to get around oracle null weirdness?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

so trying to publish to test in vs2015 is failing with no error message

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

dick traceroute posted:

Is it? I haven't had the need to create a table yet. Maybe his plan was to get around oracle null weirdness?

yeah if you want otherwise you have to declare the column as NOT NULL. oracle treats '' as NULL but there is nothing weird about oracle NULL in numeric columns, it works the same as any SQL database. you do have to remember to treat NULL specially because it doesn't = anything (not even itself), but if you introduce a sentinel value like -999999 you have to remember to handle that specially too... idgi. i guess i should have learned by now that the best strategy when dealing with oracle is not to ask too many questions lest you go insane

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
bloody, have you looked at "v3s"?

verilog/vhdl for visual studio

there's some fpga group on linkedin that's been spammed with it, sounds horrid to me but idk

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so if i can access object properties like this: obj[1]=10,obj["gently caress you"]=420
and arrays can also have subscripts like obj["gently caress you"]

what the gently caress is the point of an array in javascript? just a length property that becomes worthless if you put in string properties?

its javascript, everything is just a hashmap. arrays? hashmaps. objects? still hashmaps.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

HoboMan posted:

so trying to publish to test in vs2015 is failing with no error message

Check all your output windows in VS.

specifically, the Build output. Does it say "Web App was published successfully"?

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 6, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

leftist heap posted:

arrays and objects are different, you can just address them with the same syntax if you want.

right, but how? both just behave like key-value stores so why use arrays over objects or objects over arrays for any given purpose?

quote:

hell, in swift you can write [] style accessors for arbitrary classes.

you can do that in c# too, but in javascript's case i'm not seeing any distinctions between array and object at all really.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

bloody, have you looked at "v3s"?

verilog/vhdl for visual studio

there's some fpga group on linkedin that's been spammed with it, sounds horrid to me but idk

i have not but that sounds questionable

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

yeah if you want otherwise you have to declare the column as NOT NULL. oracle treats '' as NULL but there is nothing weird about oracle NULL in numeric columns, it works the same as any SQL database. you do have to remember to treat NULL specially because it doesn't = anything (not even itself), but if you introduce a sentinel value like -999999 you have to remember to handle that specially too... idgi. i guess i should have learned by now that the best strategy when dealing with oracle is not to ask too many questions lest you go insane
That makes sense (unlike -999999)
What's worse is the triggers we have that add changes(insert /update /delete) to 'lists' that then get passed to 'mutation prevention ' packages...

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

dick traceroute posted:

'mutation prevention ' packages...

so are those intended to make sure you don't get mutants infesting your db or what? i mean, i can think of another interpretation, but i'd imagine if you need that level of control and integrity on your db you're gonna have some form of audit anyhow to make sure someone hasn't added a few millions to their bank account or whatever it is you do, and that's probably a better solution than just preventing writes or rolling them back based on whatever a mutation prevention package does

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

right, but how? both just behave like key-value stores so why use arrays over objects or objects over arrays for any given purpose?
Arrays -> if what you have is just a collection of the same type of garbage that you may want to work with later.

Objects -> when you have heterogeneous properties (i.e., every other time).

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

you can do that in c# too, but in javascript's case i'm not seeing any distinctions between array and object at all really.

Arrays come with a bunch of methods that do stuff with them. Otherwise yeah they are just "objects aka maps from string to whatever." I guess they read a little better if you are doing array kinda things.

fun fact arr[420] === arr["420"] because all object access coerces to string. Meaning you can do dumb crap like

code:

var x = {}
var y = {}
var z = {}

x[y] = "get money smoke dust"

x[z] === x[y] //returns true

x[z] === x["[object Object]"]

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

Check all your output windows in VS.

specifically, the Build output. Does it say "Web App was published successfully"?

[...]
3>Publishing folder Service References/SoapServices360...
3>Publishing folder Webinars...
3>Publish failed.
3>
========== Build: 2 succeeded, 0 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
========== Publish: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

HoboMan posted:

[...]
3>Publishing folder Service References/SoapServices360...
3>Publishing folder Webinars...
3>Publish failed.
3>
========== Build: 2 succeeded, 0 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
========== Publish: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

you might be able to see more detail if you change the Build Output Verbosity in options

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zaxxon posted:

Arrays come with a bunch of methods that do stuff with them. Otherwise yeah they are just "objects aka maps from string to whatever." I guess they read a little better if you are doing array kinda things.

fun fact arr[420] === arr["420"] because all object access coerces to string. Meaning you can do dumb crap like

code:

var x = {}
var y = {}
var z = {}

x[y] = "get money smoke dust"

x[z] === x[y] //returns true

x[z] === x["[object Object]"]

yeah, i just got to the part with stuff like array.forEach .every, and so on. i guess it's a useful syntax instead of writing a foreach loop over my object each time, but holy god does defining every function by just assigning it to a variable skeeve me out :(.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
oh psyche, our trainers just decided to introduce the concept of declaring a function after 20 exercises involving using array functions that take functions as arguments, and they use the var poo = function .... style in all of the examples in the array section. assholes.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

yeah, i just got to the part with stuff like array.forEach .every, and so on. i guess it's a useful syntax instead of writing a foreach loop over my object each time, but holy god does defining every function by just assigning it to a variable skeeve me out :(.

It's useful to treat functions as first-class entities in programming. You can assign functions to variables in c#, and I do it all the time. In javascript, you also don't have to define functions by assigning them to variables, but the current trend seems to be to assign functions to object properties as a de facto namespace. Although, I think ES6 might have honest to god namespaces, so who even knows what the accepted norm is anymore.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
in JavaScript, var f = function() { ... } is the only way I ever do it, it's not so much that functions as first-class variables as there is no other way to get a function that I can see. doing function foo() { ... } is basically the same thing except with strange hoisting behaviour which I would rather avoid where possible

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like hoisting so that declaration order doesn't matter

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
type script rewrites your declarations into function variables tho. lame

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

oh psyche, our trainers just decided to introduce the concept of declaring a function after 20 exercises involving using array functions that take functions as arguments, and they use the var poo = function .... style in all of the examples in the array section. assholes.

you would think they would inline that poo poo.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gonadic io posted:

this one is your fault to be fair

well, they're offshore but i speak to them twice a week and they've been working on something else in that 2 weeks, so maybe what they did was just like one afternoon's work idk. it was full of mvc boilerplate layout poo poo though which is worrying.

Though in fairness to actually do the download i had to update a library to return extra data alongside a byte stream which there was no way they would have known because they're too new to even know that the .dll library is an internal wrapper round a 3rd party service

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

AWWNAW posted:

you might be able to see more detail if you change the Build Output Verbosity in options

that's on max verbosity already

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

that's not really autoincrement's fault, though? it just means you've got a poorly designed schema, and are exposing a poorly designed interface to your data. all other things being equal, sure, nipping this sort of mis-use in the bud is nice but it seems to me like it's a symptom of a bigger problem

this also seems kind of a weird reason to me. it's like saying "don't use transactions, they're not available in some nosql dbs which you'll want to use to scale up! and even if they are, distributed transactions can be slow!"

well duh, that's true for basically everything

yes yes i am sure this never happens oh wait it happens all the goddam time because you fuckers use autoincrement

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it won't be a problem

*every database record is enumerated*

i can't see why this would backfire

*slowly moves from 32 bit ids to 64, no 53 bit ids, then strings*

this is fine

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
no but you see tef i have high enough write load that i need a sequential page layout for writes

but no, not a high enough write load that i need to shard, what are you saying tef

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
*builds a foot gun*

no you see, the problem is that people are bad at shooting

*straps it to foot*

some people use the wrong ammo

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
sharting

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
we use uuids for user-facing identifiers but still use 64-bit autoincrement for the real ids because gently caress it.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I don't use databases. I use entirely in-memory data structures that I serialize to/from flat files at program launch and periodically throughout the application's lifetime

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

we use uuids for user-facing identifiers but still use 64-bit autoincrement for the real ids because gently caress it.

fine by me

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Bloody posted:

I don't use databases. I use entirely in-memory data structures that I serialize to/from flat files at program launch and periodically throughout the application's lifetime

this but it is bootstrapped from some ad-hoc replication protocols onto dozens if not hundreds of nodes so that you have data locality at all times

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

this but it is bootstrapped from some ad-hoc replication protocols onto dozens if not hundreds of nodes so that you have data locality at all times

same but i can perform transactions that are strongly consistent between hosts.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MononcQc posted:

i really like algos that pick where compute is done based on data locality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

tef posted:

*builds a foot gun*

no you see, the problem is that people are bad at shooting

*straps it to foot*

some people use the wrong ammo

• Locked thread