Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

kuroiXiru posted:

what does that even mean

What I mean is that if they lifted all the restrictions they put, then sure, people could play it at 60 fps and it'd wiggle back and forth between 60 and 30 and they'd complain about that instead. No matter what they do, they cannot win with how their game is poorly optimized (if that's the case), so what's the point of condemning them for making the safe and obvious choice??

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Did Ted Bundy kill in 60fps or was he locked at 30fps?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Ted Bundy: Very efficient killer, snappy dresser, handsome guy
Jesus Christ: Turned water into wine once???

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

CJacobs posted:

What I mean is that if they lifted all the restrictions they put, then sure, people could play it at 60 fps and it'd wiggle back and forth between 60 and 30 and they'd complain about that instead. No matter what they do, they cannot win with how their game is or isn't poorly optimized, so what's the point of condemning them for making the safe and obvious choice??

I don't understand this reasoning considering like all PC games are like that. Your PC sucks? It will oscillate between 20-40. Turn down the settings. Your PC is great? 60+ FPS (if optimized well.)

The only time they get poo poo is if it's badly optimized and you have a beastmode computer and it runs at 30, but capping it at 30 doesn't really fix that but makes it glaringly obvious there isn't optimization to let it run 30+ on configs.

Point being is they will get poo poo if they badly optimize it whether or not they lock the FPS, so they should just unlock it because that's what everyone else does. (if I was them I'd let it run unlocked and hope that theres enough bizarro configs out there that run it great and peeps can be like "Hey dudes my setup runs great")

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

CJacobs posted:

What I mean is that if they lifted all the restrictions they put, then sure, people could play it at 60 fps and it'd wiggle back and forth between 60 and 30 and they'd complain about that instead. No matter what they do, they cannot win with how their game is or isn't poorly optimized, so what's the point of condemning them for making the safe and obvious choice??

If the game was experiencing 30 fps fluctuations, it means they didn't optimize the game. Again, that falls on them, as developers. The hardware is there. Plenty of poo poo hot devs manage to make their games run at 144 fps no problem out of the gate on PC. Plenty of indie devs manage to release their games with 60 fps support on release. What is it they have that this dev team lacks? Experience? Know-how? Manpower? Whatever it is, it's a failure on their part, not on PC gamers for "being elitist" or whatever. 60 fps is the minimum standard and has been for decades. Just because your standard is lower because your hardware is worse doesn't mean a completely different platform needs to abide by it.

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe
Is the game good?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My point is, would you rather have a game that runs lovely but peaks at 60, or a game that runs perfectly fine at 30? There is no third option, those are your choices. It's lovely, yes, but it being a make or break thing in all cases for anybody is dumb and you should lower your standards to human levels.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

incorporeal posted:

Did Ted Bundy kill in 60fps or was he locked at 30fps?
As long as he didn't take full advantage in the latest advances in killing technology, it doesn't matter, he was poo poo either way.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

LIKEINEEDTHIS posted:

Is the game good?

The consensus is that, on ps4, it's the story is good, but the parts bridging the story missions are less so, and too numerous.

CJacobs posted:

My point is, would you rather have a game that runs lovely but peaks at 60, or a game that runs perfectly fine at 30? There is no third option, those are your choices. It's lovely, yes, but it being a make or break thing in all cases for anybody is dumb and you should lower your standards to human levels.

How is there no third option when Doom runs at 144 fps locked perfectly fine with like 5-6 fps dips? How is Gta V able to play on ultra at 1440p with maxes above 60, and minimums also about 60?

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

LIKEINEEDTHIS posted:

Is the game good?

Depends. Who do you prefer, Jesus or Ted Bundy?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

LIKEINEEDTHIS posted:

Is the game good?

Imagine the 30FPS line stamping on a human face forever, that's how good it is.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

The GIG posted:

You still haven't explained how this is like noted murder man Ted Bundy and how Rockstar is like OLaS Jesus Christ

I just did. Maybe you should re-read the post. If you played Mafia 2 and saw what 2k did to it last minute, Rockstar would never do something so anti-consumer ever. And the biggest thing? 2k shot themselves in the rear end, because if everything would have been left intact, they would have cleared tens of millions possible hundreds of millions more in revenue, rather than thinking the way to go was to slice up 4 crucial parts to the game and sell it again as DLC to maintain a revenue generation stream. Oh, and not lose Daniel Vavra in the process who made Mafia what it is to begin with.

That's the main difference between Rockstar and 2k.

So, in this case, Ted Bundy/2k - The cutter. Jesus Christ/Rockstar Games - creates whole fish for everyone instead of saying here is the tail end, donate to the church, I'll conjure the other 75% of it out of thin air.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 6, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
30 fps killed my family

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Kontradaz posted:

Imagine the 30FPS line stamping on a human face forever, that's how good it is.

ok, but is the game good

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

CJacobs posted:

That's the thing. There is a 3rd option. If they gave a flying gently caress. Because other companies don't have this issue. 2k is cheap as gently caress. So you all of a sudden think we have no other options because of that?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Utnayan posted:

That's the thing. There is a 3rd option. If they gave a flying gently caress. Because other companies don't have this issue. 2k is cheap as gently caress. So you all of a sudden think we have no other options because of that?

That's what I don't get. PC games run as well as your hardware supports, and some games, like Phantom Pain, run well in spite of your hardware. Where is this false dichotomy of poo poo, and even more poo poo, coming from? PC's and consoles are worlds apart when it comes to performance...unless a dev purposely hamstrings the PC port, or does so because they're incompetent.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Xeremides posted:

60 fps is the minimum standard and has been for decades.

So, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Diablo and Tomb Raider (all '96 PC releases) were, at the time, held to a 60fps standard?

("Decade" is 10 years, so "decades" is a minimum 20 years back.)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

So, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Diablo and Tomb Raider (all '96 PC releases) were, at the time, held to a 60fps standard?

I have never before seen people fight so hard for regression in technology and development. It is true, Idiocracy has arrived.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Xeremides posted:

That's what I don't get. PC games run as well as your hardware supports, and some games, like Phantom Pain, run well in spite of your hardware. Where is this false dichotomy of poo poo, and even more poo poo, coming from? PC's and consoles are worlds apart when it comes to performance...unless a dev purposely hamstrings the PC port, or does so because they're incompetent.

Well, usually it has to do with matching animations to the frames and game timing issues. In this case, it's a straight up horrible console port where 2k doesn't give a poo poo. Which is why Cjacob's post of "Expectations are too high" are bullshit. Because there are a quite a few developers/publisher combo's who do it right and leverage the right resources. 2k is not one of those companies unfortunately. What he doesn't understand is it isn't outside of expectations. It IS an expectation in 2016.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Utnayan posted:

they would have cleared tens of millions possible hundreds of millions more in revenue
that's quite optimistic

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Christ above.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
From the dev's reaction, it sounds like the fps lock was unintended so I don't see the point in arguing about how it's leading to the downfall of gaming as a whole

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Utnayan posted:

I just did. Maybe you should re-read the post. If you played Mafia 2 and saw what 2k did to it last minute, Rockstar would never do something so anti-consumer ever. And the biggest thing? 2k shot themselves in the rear end, because if everything would have been left intact, they would have cleared tens of millions possible hundreds of millions more in revenue, rather than thinking the way to go was to slice up 4 crucial parts to the game and sell it again as DLC to maintain a revenue generation stream. Oh, and not lose Daniel Vavra in the process who made Mafia what it is to begin with.

That's the main difference between Rockstar and 2k.

So, in this case, Ted Bundy/2k - The cutter. Jesus Christ/Rockstar Games - creates whole fish for everyone instead of saying here is the tail end, donate to the church, I'll conjure the other 75% of it out of thin air.

Where in this comparison do consumers get murdered and sexually assaulted and where does Rockstar consumers split into the Catholic church and the Protestant church.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

From the dev's reaction, it sounds like the fps lock was unintended so I don't see the point in arguing about how it's leading to the downfall of gaming as a whoke

PR evasion while they figure out how to fix the shitstorm.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
the father, the son, the holy fps

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

The GIG posted:

Where in this comparison do consumers get murdered and sexually assaulted and where does Rockstar consumers split into the Catholic church and the Protestant church.
Rockstar North = Catholics
Rockstar San Diego = Protestants

i prefer RDR to GTA and i'll bomb anyone who says different

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Holy poo poo guys. Holy poo poo. 30 fps sucks, yes, but let's try to maybe discuss whether or not the rest of the game is any good. I absolutely refuse to believe that a lower fps ticrate causes the entire game to suck to such an extent that nothing else matters.

Are the missions fun? Is the game long? Is the story good? How is the combat? Anything?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

wyoak posted:

that's quite optimistic

Reviews would have been absolutely glorious and the community would have fallen in love with the entire game. Open world, with activities, (Meaning no empty world - one of the biggest complaints of the game), no jarring story hitches when Vito went to prison and was automatically out (Joe's adventures had a side effect where it made the player seem like Vito was in prison for 5 years. It was goofy and cool how it was done before that poo poo was cut) and more story cohesion. The biggest gripes of Mafia 2 were caused by 2k's cutting of content to repackage. The game would have received 10's around the world and people would still be buying it today in preparation for this game. And to note, Daniel Vavra would still be a lead writer. Which is the biggest loss of them all. It isn't that often you see a lead writer for a major AAA title come out in support of a petition against 2k games for destroying the cohesiveness of a story by gutting 40% of the content to sell at $29. And then quit the industry in disgust for 3 years.

That takes 2k to a whole new special place of retard.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 6, 2016

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Utnayan posted:

The game would have received 10's around the world and people would still be buying it today in preparation for this game
laffo although that rant makes me see why your bundy/jesus comparison isn't hyperbolic to you

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pathos posted:

Holy poo poo guys. Holy poo poo. 30 fps sucks, yes, but let's try to maybe discuss whether or not the rest of the game is any good. I absolutely refuse to believe that a lower fps ticrate causes the entire game to suck to such an extent that nothing else matters.

Are the missions fun? Is the game long? Is the story good? How is the combat? Anything?
Most of the reception of the game itself is pretty positive. It apparently drags for a couple of hours when the game makes you do sidemissions in order to progress because they are rather repetitive, but the main story is real good and actually well told. Also the shooting and driving is good.

I'll probably wait a few days for the PC patch to hit and a stronger consensus is made, but I'm probably going to buy it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 6, 2016

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Duke Nukem 3D supported 60 fps, Diablo is an ARPG so, much like strategy games, don't necessarily need 60 fps, and Tomb Raider didn't. You'll notice that in 1996, Tomb Raider was actually pushing hardware, so it's understandable that they didn't aim for what only a supercomputer could achieve at the time. Much like why Bloodborne and Dark Souls 4 are 30 fps titles on the PS4. That isn't the case today for PC. Skip forward a few years, and you start seeing support skyrocket. Because, you know, tech got better.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Who are the apostles if Rockstar is Jesus? Who is Judas? it can't be 2K because they're already Ted Bundy.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i always gently caress up the ol "diety or serial killer" game

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Xeremides posted:

The consensus is that, on ps4, it's the story is good, but the parts bridging the story missions are less so, and too numerous.

How is there no third option when Doom runs at 144 fps locked perfectly fine with like 5-6 fps dips? How is Gta V able to play on ultra at 1440p with maxes above 60, and minimums also about 60?

A game engine internally developed at 2k is not the same as DOOM. It's likely they hit a time crunch and, like CJacobs said, had to choose between shipping something that dropped frames excessively, or ran stable at 30fps locked in. The dev's have ack'd the public response to this and said a fix is on the way. There is nothing to complain about jesus christ.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

A game engine internally developed at 2k is not the same as DOOM. It's likely they hit a time crunch and, like CJacobs said, had to choose between shipping something that dropped frames excessively, or ran stable at 30fps locked in. The dev's have ack'd the public response to this and said a fix is on the way. There is nothing to complain about jesus christ.

Lol.

Anyways, I can't really remember the last time I played a game under 60FPS. PC privilege I guess :(

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

This isn't the console market though... people have different setups that range from not being able to run the game to being to run it 60+. Why lock out a good portion of consumers? Like literally every other game on the PC doesn't have this lock and leaves it up to you to set the settings or upgrade your computer to the power you prefer.

The point that I made is that if people are fine with stuff like this, it will continue to perpetuate. Why spend development budget on PC optimization when people will be fine with 30FPS? Why spend money on developing extra content when you can create microtransaction to make the $$?

Ahh the slippery slope argument awesome.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

So, again, it comes back to the devs being at fault, which is what I've repeatedly said, and they released the game simultaneously with the console versions with a 30 fps lock being a stalling tactic until they could finish their game, which I've said at least once. What are you arguing about here?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

wjs5 posted:

Ahh the slippery slope argument awesome.

It would be funny if it wasn't true: see the influx of microtransactions and DLC's the past few years. Not hard to prove.

Oh and preorders.

Oh and early access.

Why is it hard to extend that to: "hey gamers don't really care about FPS, so why spend resources to have 60+"?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

It would be funny if it wasn't true: see the influx of microtransactions and DLC's the past few years. Not hard to prove.

Oh and preorders.

Oh and early access.

Remember that time PC gamers made a big huff about Mankind Divided's stupid preorder campaign, and then they cancelled it? Man, gently caress PC gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just don't know why devs don't do a press release for this stuff before release. They know it's going to be a shitstorm, might as well get in front and say it's being worked on. They obviously knew about it and had enough time to delay review copies.

Or just delay it until you have it fixed.

• Locked thread