Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

One day Sword Guy will do something. And it will be almost as exciting as when Isshiki finally does something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Patware posted:

I really wanna know why that one guy's got a goddamn sword though

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure it isn't a sword and will turn out to be some kind of obscure cooking apparatus. Kind of like the bratty half-pint member has a stuffed bear that's actually hot pads.

30 seconds on google brought up this http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/10/18/longest-knife/ , maybe he specializes in seafood and it's for bluefin tuna?

That or it's just to make himself look cool :3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

30 seconds on google brought up this http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/10/18/longest-knife/ , maybe he specializes in seafood and it's for bluefin tuna?

That or it's just to make himself look cool :3:

Guy With Sword is basically the perfect opponent for Kurokiba. So I hope it's true.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought it was a wooden cooking implement, but on closer inspection yeah, that's a sheathe.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

One day Sword Guy will do something. And it will be almost as exciting as when Isshiki finally does something.

We've never really seen the glasses girl, the big dude, the sword guy, Rindou or Isshiki do anything cooking related. The obvious take is that the ones who you've seen aren't as good as the ones you haven't, they're just hiding their skills (which I'm almost positive is true at least for Rindou, whose entire attitude is "it amused me").

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Isshiki cooks a mackerel thing for Soma really early in the series and blows his goddamn mind

It's when they reveal Isshiki's in the E10, IIRC

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Patware posted:

Isshiki cooks a mackerel thing for Soma really early in the series and blows his goddamn mind

It's when they reveal Isshiki's in the E10, IIRC

He does, but Smoke Guy says right afterwards that Isshiki was just taking it easy on him to gauge his skill.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Isshiki is naked and that's all he really needs to be

Glasses Girl was one of the top food vendors/restaurants in the Fall Fest I believe

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Colour scans for this week are out, one panel in particular stood out in particular:

I think this fight is a pretty important one for Souma!

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
This is obviously from a million years ago in the story line, but I was re-reading through the series and one clash has always stuck in my craw. The burger showdown in the Autumn Elections. I'm sorry but neither one of those was a drat burger, like at all. I mean both of them even failed to use buns, and what's this "Pickles are the secret main ingredient!" horseshit? "You seem to have used pita for the bun..." no, he used pita instead of a bun, which a burger requires to be a drat burger.

Why does it bother me so much? Burgers are my 100% favorite food ever, and that showdown was an insult to burgerdome.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I would eat both of those burgs tbh

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

WTF BEES posted:

This is obviously from a million years ago in the story line, but I was re-reading through the series and one clash has always stuck in my craw. The burger showdown in the Autumn Elections. I'm sorry but neither one of those was a drat burger, like at all. I mean both of them even failed to use buns, and what's this "Pickles are the secret main ingredient!" horseshit? "You seem to have used pita for the bun..." no, he used pita instead of a bun, which a burger requires to be a drat burger.

Why does it bother me so much? Burgers are my 100% favorite food ever, and that showdown was an insult to burgerdome.

It sounds like you're never going to discover your own cooking...

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

WTF BEES posted:

A burger is basically meat between two slices of bread and pita is a type of bread, so I don't see the issue. :shrug:

While reading the wikipedia article I also discovered asia sells burgers with buns made of rice.
There's also donuts as buns, naan as buns and rye bread.

I mean if you're a purist more power to you but it's not like there's hard requirements on what makes a hamburger a hamburger beyond meat on bread with other stuff too.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 7, 2016

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
A burger is a mincemeat patty between bread. There's no requirement that the bread is a bun.

If you're a purist, you should be insisting that it's between two pieces of toast.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Is a burger with lettuce buns not a burger anymore

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

Kyte posted:

A burger is basically meat between two slices of bread and pita is a type of bread, so I don't see the issue. :shrug:

Exactly! Between two slices of bread/buns. A pita pocket is not two, nor is a folded piece of steamed bread (which I admit actually sounds amazing). It was also the tone that the pickle was required. The writer does not understand the subtle art that is the burg. I would also argue that the meat used should be red meat only, but people like their turkey burgs and such.

Am I being a purest? Probably. Am I being down right silly getting mad at a Japanese food comic's idea of what a burg is? Absolutely.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

because they are true burger experts they have deconstructed the concept of a burger, they're just way ahead of these limited conceptions of what it means to be a 'burger' and have evolved the art of burgermaking to its next level

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm just waiting for cheesesteaks to get in so everyone can joke about that thread.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Yukihira Secret Menu #559: Chickencheese

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

Eej posted:

Not sure if your butt is gonna be thanking me but no prob

My butt will be just fine, thank you.

Cheeto ones on the bottom-

Then the three on the right.

The difference is a bit subtle, but I think I like the cheeto ones a bit more.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Not sure I want to see the health food challenge or the goon food challenge more out of Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
All this burg talk makes me wanna go mosey on over to the burg thread

And, I mean the pickle thing makes sense, sometimes there's an element of tangy flavor somewhere in your burg to really elevate and balance the meatiness, like the bits of pickle and apple cider vinegar in an In-N-Out or Shake Shack sauce, or straight up pickles in a McDonalds low-brow burg. Or you can add those pickled banana or jalapeno peppers, like whatever.

Point is, the burg battle made sense and Hayama won with super spiced meat and delicious achar pickles.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 8, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Compendium posted:

Point is, the burg battle made sense and Hayama won with super spiced meat and delicious achar pickles.

Yeah well I still want the actually cool Hisako to destroy him in a rematch!!

The power trio of Hayama, Kurokiba and Souma never worked for me at all, especially since it came at the expense of three good female characters (two of which were favoured to win it) jobbing out to two much, much more boring ones.

Also I get that Erina's mostly there this chapter to frame how important this fight is for Souma, but I think she's actually worried. :3:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think alice and megumi should win all their matches and that souma should go away so there is more time for those two

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Give me a series of Megumi and Alice trying to take down an Elite 10 led by Rindou.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kyte posted:

While reading the wikipedia article I also discovered asia sells burgers with buns made of rice.
There's also donuts as buns, naan as buns and rye bread.

I mean if you're a purist more power to you but it's not like there's hard requirements on what makes a hamburger a hamburger beyond meat on bread with other stuff too.

Honestly any time i see a Burger in like anime or manga it's usually just a patty on a plate covered in gravy (Souma evan makes one from mackerel in the polar dorm test) so i think japan has a strange idea of what a burger is anyway

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hamburger as a dish is often served by itself as just a meat entree, especially in some countries, but thats not a burger.

Japan is one of those countries.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Elfgames posted:

Honestly any time i see a Burger in like anime or manga it's usually just a patty on a plate covered in gravy (Souma evan makes one from mackerel in the polar dorm test) so i think japan has a strange idea of what a burger is anyway

hamburger steak is just a slightly altered version of salisbury steak, which is what they were going for. basically any kind of ground meat patty would have counted.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's really good.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Elfgames posted:

The thing is that's a different dish with an extremely similar-sounding name.

quote:

In Japan, hamburgers can be served in a bun, called hanbāgā (ハンバーガー), or just the patties served without a bun, known as hanbāgu (ハンバーグ) or "hamburg", short for "hamburg steak".

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
well people keep translating them as the same thing! a hamburg steak is not a hamburger!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Most translators prolly don't even realize the difference.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I see it translated as salisbury steak quite often, which tends to get commentators riled up because they can hear "hamburgu". I think any translator worth their salt would at least look it up at some point though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Salisbury Steak and Hamburg Steak are functionally the same thing but I guess I would be triggered too if someone started translating gyoza as potstickers.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Compendium posted:

And, I mean the pickle thing makes sense, sometimes there's an element of tangy flavor somewhere in your burg to really elevate and balance the meatiness, like the bits of pickle and apple cider vinegar in an In-N-Out or Shake Shack sauce, or straight up pickles in a McDonalds low-brow burg. Or you can add those pickled banana or jalapeno peppers, like whatever.

This, basically. Burgers (especially thick, homemade patties) can get overwhelming with the savory beef flavor. I have a friend who only ever gets a slice of cheese and mustard on his super-thick homemade burgers because he really loves that savoriness, but It's too much for me, and I have to force myself to finish those. Pickles cut through that overwhelming amount of beefy flavor and add another dimension to a burger that mustard can't quite manage, and that's bolder than the crispness of the lettuce and juiciness of the tomato, and it helps you keep eating without getting sick of that single delicious but strong flavor.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Kyte posted:

The thing is that's a different dish with an extremely similar-sounding name.

What the hell were they thinking!!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Food Hitler will save us from these weird Japanese hamburger bastardations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Crasical posted:

This, basically. Burgers (especially thick, homemade patties) can get overwhelming with the savory beef flavor. I have a friend who only ever gets a slice of cheese and mustard on his super-thick homemade burgers because he really loves that savoriness, but It's too much for me, and I have to force myself to finish those. Pickles cut through that overwhelming amount of beefy flavor and add another dimension to a burger that mustard can't quite manage, and that's bolder than the crispness of the lettuce and juiciness of the tomato, and it helps you keep eating without getting sick of that single delicious but strong flavor.

Have him try what In-N-Out does: instead of one thickass patty, go for two half-thickness ones, and then stick an extra slice of cheese in between.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I really hope they stick the landing on making a win for Soma convincing here because if Hayama wins here I think I would drop the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wait, chapter is out? I would have sworn that if it wasn't out by now, meant that it was a holiday week in Japan.