Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, I don't really know that there is a point to posting this but I tossed the R6 at Thunderhill on Monday.

It was pretty cool (probably low 50s?) and sprinkling on and off all day. I rode the Tuono for about an hour, switched to the R6 for about 10 minutes, back to the Tuono for an hour, and went to take the R6 back out. I felt the tires in the pit and was worried because they were really fuckin cold (Dunlop GPA Slicks) so I meant to take it reeeeally easy. Coming over turn 3 on my out lap I lost the front as soon as I turned in. Apparently I wasn't taking it easy enough.

Helmet slid on the ground, I ordered a new one last night anyway. Bike needs a new subframe, otherwise it's fine, I rode it back to the pits. Exhaust is being put back together, fairing stay broke but I'll be welding it back together, rearset bracket will be bent back into shape, and fairings will be fiberglassed together again.

I hosed up, lessons were learned, embarrassment has been had. I finished the day out on the Tuono. All-in-all it was a great trip and definitely worth it. :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I like the Deal With It pose on your leathers.

Glad to hear you're alright. Sorry about your potential extreme soreness.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
glad you're alright man. no shame in crashing on the track right? you pushed your limits in a controlled environment that's somewhat safe. your insurance might cover helmet if you have any accessory coverage, even if you don't have full coverage.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just a stupid crash, I thought I knew better. :)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Mods new thread title please.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Speaking of

I've caught myself daydreaming numerous times while on my commute, and it finally bit me today. Came off a side street going towards a light, and I was on the throttle when I noticed "OH poo poo IT'S RED" (this is the first time in months I've caught that light being red) and I threw out the anchor. Except I'd always practiced e-braking from off-throttle, never from on-throttle. So, the front was lighter than I was used to, I didn't let the bike transition properly, and whoopteedoo I did the ol' Layer Dan off to the left. Of course, as I'm sliding along, there's someone making a left in front of me on a green because who expects a moron on a bike to come sliding at you. This particular moron was sliding on his hands and knees looking at the side of this mid-size SUV getting bigger by the moment. In the slow motion time-warp that makes these situations absurd, I must have decided the best course of action was to ball up and get my back to it. Somehow I managed to flip around and planted my rear end and back square into the wheel of this thing and came to a very abrupt halt. Knocked the wind the hell out of me, but I immediately "knew" (I didn't know jack poo poo, I was just loving wired to the sky on the adrenaline dump) I wasn't seriously hurt and so made my first priority to get up and get the hell out of the intersection because I don't trust Florida drivers to notice a down rider and act accordingly.

Everyone was absolutely flabbergasted at seeing me smack a car with my body at speed only to pop up and walk it off without a scratch, other than shredded gear. I got lucky as hell that the driver of the SUV stopped right where they did, not only because I avoided getting stuffed under a car, and was able to take the hit on my back, but also because I did absolutely no damage to the vehicle. Hooray no insurance claim! Hell, she was worse off than I was, went into diabetic shock due to the adrenaline dump (or something like that). Poor girl was stuffing her face with a roll of Lifesavers and trying not to shudder her teeth out while assuring everyone "I'm just diabetic I'll be okay in a second". Parameds checked me out and gave me a clean bill of health, also astonished at my condition and they made a point to commend me for riding fully geared.

Speaking of gear:
Aerostich Darien Pants, 2006 model: As I spent a lot of time on my knees, that was where the brunt of the damage was. Both of the knees were worn through, but the large kneepads underneath were only lightly scuffed. Somewhat perturbed by this but there was still a whole kneepad to go through so I guess there was plenty of safety margin left.
Held Race-Tex GoreTex Gloves: Spent a lot of time on my palms as well. The heel pad on the left glove wore through the superfabric and into the padding but made it no further. About 25% of the inner palm edge stitching securing the superfabric padding pocket was abraded away. About 5 or 6 stitches opened up on the thumb, but no skin was exposed and the GoreTex membrane was still intact. The heel pad on the right glove was not worn through, but I also lost about 75% of the stitching on the inner palm edge side in the same place as the left glove, which exposed the second layer of palm leather. However that under-layer was undamaged so I can only assume that the superfabric stuff stayed put. No other popped stitches.
Aerostich Darien Jacket, 2006 model: Jacked was moderately scuffed on the chest where I landed on my phone, which was undamaged! Samsung S5 with the tempered glass screen protector, no case. There's a hole in the left elbow, but again the graciously large pads were there to keep me safe. Some minor scuffing on the right elbow, and a small hole was worn along the bottom left side of the jacket where it got caught between the pavement and my retractable badge lanyard. THAT little fucker got exploded on the way to the SUV, and one of the bystanders was kind enough to retrieve it for me! I didn't even notice it was gone.
HJC FG-17 Helmet: I can't find any scuffing or anything anywhere on the helmet. Gonna replace it anyway when I buy my new jacket/pants/gloves. However I'm sure it would have performed admirably at protecting my skull, only that from the above you can see that there's apparently not a damned thing in there worth protecting.

The Bike: 2002 SV650S
Snapped off half of the left footpeg and mucked up the gearshift lever. Ground down the left frame slider a bit. Scuffed up the fairing near the left headlight, snapped off the turn signal (and I lost one of the screws :argh). Left mirror glass got popped out and cracked. Apparently she hit something solid with force and bent the poo poo out of the left fork tube. Snapped the end off of my clutch lever. Tank now has a small dent where ~something~ hit it but it sure as poo poo doesn't look like it was the handlebar, as much as it seems that's the only thing that could have hit it there. Hats off to Suzuki and CF Motorsports, I was able to use the toolkit I carry to unfuck the gearshift enough to use it, and I rode the bike home, albeit the bars were cocked off to the right for about 40% of the total range of travel, leaving me with only 60% of my right turning ability. As such, the remainder of the ride home was sketchy but apparently AAA doesn't do motorcycles on the Plus plan, and to hell with paying the methhead that showed up at the behest of law enforcement, who apparently didn't take me seriously when I told them I was gonna ride home.

TL;DR: Daydreaming will loving kill you on a bike. loving pay attention you goddamn retard. Practice e-braking from on-throttle situations where you're transitioning weight from rear to front. Next time you hit a car with your body, consider staying down until you've evaluated that everything is 99% where it's supposed to be instead of jumping up like some macho man moron. Especially don't walk over to your bike and pick it up after you just hit a loving CAR WHEEL at SPEED with your BACK. :bang: Call AAA and figure out what I have to do to get motorcycles on my towing plan, because that's just silly and riding a bike with a clearly hosed up front end is just the suicide cherry on top of the careless cake that got me into the mess in the first place.

I think I covered all the stupid, but please don't hesitate to tell me what else I did wrong if I missed something.

I've already ordered a set of forks off Ebay and pulled the damaged forks, but I still need to order a replacement peg, frame slider, and turn signal bulb. Along with a new set of gear, of course... but, it's only money. Walking away was worth every drat dollar.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 26, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Good job not dying.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Beach Bum posted:

Someone goes the hard route to learn to pay attention.

Glad you're OK.

Are the forks actually bent or just tweaked in the triples? I've seen some extreme stuff where undoing the front end relaxed and straightened everything.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
It's the next day, Beach Bum. How is the soreness?

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Skreemer posted:

Glad you're OK.

Are the forks actually bent or just tweaked in the triples? I've seen some extreme stuff where undoing the front end relaxed and straightened everything.

Happened to me on the KLR when I crashed a few months back. Loosened one of the mounts, slammed on em a bit, straightened em right out.

And yeah, the soreness comes later... my knee is still hosed! And so is the weird vibration on the bike :(

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Chichevache posted:

It's the next day, Beach Bum. How is the soreness?

I feel it in my right hip mostly, a bit in the right shoulder, upper back, and elbows. Just some wee soreness, no sharp pains. Back of the head is a bit tender, too, so I know my helmet is junk. Upon further inspection I discovered the little spoiler is cracked, so there was definitely a significant impact.

So far I've only had a couple aspirin :v:

Skreemer posted:

Glad you're OK.

If my phone camera was functional I could show you. If I square up the fork tubes (using a 2x4) the left fork end is about three inches laterally from where it's supposed to be. The axle doesn't even come close to bolting up. When I removed the tube it looked like a 15 or 20 degree bend, just under the lower triple clamp. It's definitely toast. $200 for a used fork set ain't too bad, they'll be here Monday.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 26, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Glad you're ok - RV coverage is needed for moto tows via AAA.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well...since the dispatcher just calls a local towing company, if you tell them that you need a flatbed for whatever reason ("my car is lowered and can't be towed on two wheels"), then it's up to the driver who arrives to decide whether he's willing to strap your bike on or not, and I'm sure most of them would for an extra :20bux:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Glad you're ok - RV coverage is needed for moto tows via AAA.

I wonder how much that costs. An AMA membership is only $50 and it comes with towing, if I recall correctly. Too bad the AMA is bullshit at everything else.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeh. I used to have an AMA membership specifically for the towing, but I haven't renewed it this year because I got pissed off after too many emails about MUH RIGHT TO NO HELMETS and absolutely nothing about trying to get lane-splitting legalized in more states.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I got the motorcycle (and car) AAA for about $108 a year. It's pretty worth it, even if you only get towed once. That coverage gives you 4 tows a year, up to 100 miles each.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Buell owner spotted

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeh. I used to have an AMA membership specifically for the towing, but I haven't renewed it this year because I got pissed off after too many emails about MUH RIGHT TO NO HELMETS and absolutely nothing about trying to get lane-splitting legalized in more states.

I filled out a survey for the AMA recently and told them repeatedly "you cocksuckers need to do something about lane-splitting".

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Check with your insurance companies about towing as well. I know mine costs peanuts per year to tack onto my premium. The peace of mind is worth it for me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was perusing my state farm coverage and found out that it has towing and a few other things I didn't even know I had. Like you can get paid if you're on a road trip and the bike breaks down and messes up your trip. Probably should read that stuff from time to time.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nsaP posted:

I was perusing my state farm coverage and found out that it has towing and a few other things I didn't even know I had. Like you can get paid if you're on a road trip and the bike breaks down and messes up your trip. Probably should read that stuff from time to time.

Some companies will also shell out for a hotel if you're on a trip.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I tried to use Geico/Progressive/Some big ins co's roadside assistance - that I had on my bike policy. It was a total shitfest. I figure AA or nothing these days.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

n8r posted:

I tried to use Geico/Progressive/Some big ins co's roadside assistance - that I had on my bike policy. It was a total shitfest. I figure AA or nothing these days.

sobering up should definitely help you need less tows, that is for sure

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I've used roadside assistance for towing twice with Progressive and it was easy. There was a miscommunication the first time and 3 tow trucks came but I didn't get charged or anything.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

EX250 Type R posted:

sobering up should definitely help you need less tows, that is for sure

having nothing to tow is even better!!!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Marxalot posted:

having nothing to tow is even better!!!

poor n8, had a legitimate child and then he died

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I know i posted this in the slack chat but on the subject of getting towed, early this year i broke down because the throttle... Nook? Where the cable attaches to the throttle, snapped. 7pm in the middle of winter, with heavy rain, I'm not about to try anything fancy to get home so i call up my insurance company.

Call up insurers > They send someone out > Wait a hour and a bit > call up insurance to see where they are, get told they're "just around the corner!" > wait 30 minutes before calling up, only to get told that the first company they sent out cancelled, but they're sending someone else! > a hour later an awesome polish dude turned up, we loaded the bike up went home.

This was in the middle of London, not exactly out in the sticks...

Almost 3 hours stuck in the rain :(

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Well guys. I finally went down. 15k or so on two wheels and finally my number was up.

I was on my scooter lol. I just finished a 81cc motor build and stopped at the bar to see a friend. On bikes I have a one beer rule, but that never applied to my scoot, which is a really not great habit to have. I also never ever wore my helmet on it (its practically a bicycle, right?). Anyway before I left a little voice told me to grab my Arai, and so I did.

As I was leaving the parking lot making a right turn, I gave it too much throttle right as the front hit a pothole. It FLUNG my loving face straight into the pavement.

Next day I immediately went to CG and bought a brand new RX-Q. Lesson learned, even scooters can get you a TBI if you aren't careful. I do not know if I would have survived without the helmet on. It was a hard loving hit even with it on. Scooter's fine, I'm fine, and I will never get on any kind of motorbike without a helmet again.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
did you get to 90 in first

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

revmoo posted:

Well guys. I finally went down. 15k or so on two wheels and finally my number was up.

I was on my scooter lol. I just finished a 81cc motor build and stopped at the bar to see a friend. On bikes I have a one beer rule, but that never applied to my scoot, which is a really not great habit to have. I also never ever wore my helmet on it (its practically a bicycle, right?). Anyway before I left a little voice told me to grab my Arai, and so I did.

As I was leaving the parking lot making a right turn, I gave it too much throttle right as the front hit a pothole. It FLUNG my loving face straight into the pavement.

Next day I immediately went to CG and bought a brand new RX-Q. Lesson learned, even scooters can get you a TBI if you aren't careful. I do not know if I would have survived without the helmet on. It was a hard loving hit even with it on. Scooter's fine, I'm fine, and I will never get on any kind of motorbike without a helmet again.

I appreciate your honesty about the circumstances, dumbass.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Thanks, and yes I am a dumbass.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

revmoo posted:

If you hadn't had your helmet on you'd be a lot dumber though, so here's to the ability to make better decisions in the future!

Yesterday I was doing some basic cleaning and chain-waxing. Took it for a little spin around the block without a single stitch of gear on afterwards. I am a dumbass too.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Not wearing gloves fucks with my muscle memory, so I'm probably more likely to fall when I'm not wearing gear.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

revmoo posted:

That being said, glad you lived and learned to tell the tale.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Even on test rides I feel naked and smaller than the bike without my armor. I've heard plenty of anecdotes about invincible road warriors who make one trip to the corner gas station without their gear and get laid up in the hospital for months. Cars blindly backing out of parking spaces don't care how close to home you are.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Was it the Chinese Ruckus clone?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Was it the Chinese Ruckus clone?

Yup! Not a scratch on it somehow.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Well guys, I had my first Layer Dan the other day, only about 2 months into riding. I rode the ZX-14 into work and was parking next to my co-worker. There were no other cars next to him so I swooped up to the side of his car so I could walk the bike in backwards next to it. As I came in I realized my turn angle was a little too shallow and leaned (mistake 1) instead of turning with the bars, and tapped the brake (mistake 2) instead of feathering the clutch and just getting farther forward than I'd like. The bike got too heavy to stabilize and started to go over. I got my right foot down and grabbed the bars and tried to pull the bike back up, but unlike the Shadow I can't just beast it back upright (I am 6'4 and used to be in the Army. I'm fat and soft now by comparison but still keep in decent shape.) I managed to stop the fall of the bike but it was pushing my right knee over and I felt and heard something pop in my leg and the bike started going down again. It felt like a leg throw from wrestling so I let the weight of the bike throw me free and focused on making a good landing. I ended up a few feet away and took the fall on my right side. Did a paratrooper fall to spread the impact out and the pads and gloves saved me from a LOT of additional pain, even at 0mph. I kept my head off the ground and my helmet is fine. Caught my shin and have a decent scrape from the left peg. There are fold up pegs installed and the bike fell on a part of the fairing that was already scratched from what I now assume is the same mistake so there wasn't any damage. The bike shut itself off after 2 seconds once it was far enough down and started back up on the 2nd (tense) try after I apologized to it properly. It took me a while to walk off the leg pain but I ended up with a pulled hamstring and its already much better.

Park your super top-heavy bikes carefully, kids, and don't try to one-leg squat 700 pounds of bike and rider unless you swole.

Ninja edit: I regret missing the last MSC course of the year when I got my permit.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cage Kicker posted:

Well guys, I had my first Layer Dan the other day, only about 2 months into riding. I rode the ZX-14 into work and was parking next to my co-worker. There were no other cars next to him so I swooped up to the side of his car so I could walk the bike in backwards next to it. As I came in I realized my turn angle was a little too shallow and leaned (mistake 1) instead of turning with the bars, and tapped the brake (mistake 2) instead of feathering the clutch and just getting farther forward than I'd like. The bike got too heavy to stabilize and started to go over. I got my right foot down and grabbed the bars and tried to pull the bike back up, but unlike the Shadow I can't just beast it back upright (I am 6'4 and used to be in the Army. I'm fat and soft now by comparison but still keep in decent shape.) I managed to stop the fall of the bike but it was pushing my right knee over and I felt and heard something pop in my leg and the bike started going down again. It felt like a leg throw from wrestling so I let the weight of the bike throw me free and focused on making a good landing. I ended up a few feet away and took the fall on my right side. Did a paratrooper fall to spread the impact out and the pads and gloves saved me from a LOT of additional pain, even at 0mph. I kept my head off the ground and my helmet is fine. Caught my shin and have a decent scrape from the left peg. There are fold up pegs installed and the bike fell on a part of the fairing that was already scratched from what I now assume is the same mistake so there wasn't any damage. The bike shut itself off after 2 seconds once it was far enough down and started back up on the 2nd (tense) try after I apologized to it properly. It took me a while to walk off the leg pain but I ended up with a pulled hamstring and its already much better.

Park your super top-heavy bikes carefully, kids, and don't try to one-leg squat 700 pounds of bike and rider unless you swole.

Ninja edit: I regret missing the last MSC course of the year when I got my permit.

I laughed out loud. Sucks your bike fell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
zx14s are 700lb?

• Locked thread