Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

w00tazn posted:

As far as I'm aware PSN refunds don't exist. And I don't think refunds really exist on Xbox Live either.

Officially PSN does refunds for games that do not work at all - so for example if you buy a PSVR only title and you don't have a headset I believe that would be grounds for an official refund.

Anecdotally people have pretty good success with getting refunds for other reasons by contacting support; the recent No Man's Sky debacle being a famous example. One somewhat plausible theory that I've seen claimed is that their unspoken policy is to allow one refund per account for any reason, then deny all future refunds by that account. That way they get good word of mouth publicity when things like NMS happen, but no user can abuse the system too badly.

Cojawfee posted:

If you preordered the rift, you should have gotten an email from Oculus saying you have until October 27th to preorder Touch to keep your priority spot in line. You have to order with the same email you ordered the rift with.

No real information on what "priority spot" actually means, unfortunately. Hopefully they'll clarify, but they might feel like the implied transparency they had last time did them more harm than good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Tested has a first look at RoboRecall (Epic's spiritual successor to the Bullet Train demo) up already, and it looks awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pciYKapeSNE They're saying 3 to 4 hours play time, though it looks like something with good replayability given the scoring system.
Interesting that the older dude (forgot his name) was playing with 360 degrees of movement and didn't mention problems with the tracking - though he also seemed to have found it very intense so probably just didn't notice occlusion glitches or whatever.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

w00tazn posted:

"Room scale"

I find it frustrating that every blog post seem to gloss over this slide.

Yeah, what a lot of people aren't realizing is "Official" Oculus support still requires having two cameras in front of you to support the fine hand interactions that Touch does, that's sort of the whole point of Touch - hand presence and fine interactions. Like, literally any game that does roomscale right now on Steam (except that one game where you crawl) can be played using just two cameras set up like Lighthouses in a ~10x10 space (give or take 3 feet) with no more issues than Vive has. But sites need to fuel the the fanboys I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

NRVNQSR posted:

No real information on what "priority spot" actually means, unfortunately. Hopefully they'll clarify, but they might feel like the implied transparency they had last time did them more harm than good.

The only thing I can see it meaning is that touch orders go out to rift preorders first. So someone who got their rift at best buy or whatever could preorder as soon as the site goes up but be pushed back as rift preorderers put their orders in over the rest of the month.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

The only thing I can see it meaning is that touch orders go out to rift preorders first. So someone who got their rift at best buy or whatever could preorder as soon as the site goes up but be pushed back as rift preorderers put their orders in over the rest of the month.

Yeah, the unclear thing is whether the shipping order within those priority spots is based on the time you made your Rift order or the time you make your Touch order. In other words whether people with priority spots still need to hammer refresh on Monday to get a good slot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The message being put out back when the rift was coming out was that your spot in line for rift is your spot for touch. Until someone at oculus says something different, in going to say that's still true.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Is there anywhere to watch the full keynote somewhere if I missed it? Or is it still going on?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

d0s posted:

Is there anywhere to watch the full keynote somewhere if I missed it? Or is it still going on?

https://www.twitch.tv/oculus/v/93332560

https://www.twitch.tv/oculus/v/93337462

The feed cut out at one point so it got split into two, but the first one just has Zuckerberg saying some nonsense so just watch the second one

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The Zuckerberg stuff did include social updates to Oculus Home which are long overdue. Though the avatar customisation looked pretty limited beyond face shape and hair model. What I really want is for them to start adding more basic functionality to Home, like the ability to create shortcuts to non-Home programs, a proper ratings system, customisation of the environment & UI etc. A virtual desktop panel inside of Home would be a really handy addition too. Probably not the direction they want to go in though.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
He sure is a robotically awkward speaker

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

wow facebook/oculus web browser, now I can be INSIDE the ads #brands

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

furiously skipping past "social experiences" lady

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
You can actually play around with ASW right now:

https://twitter.com/BinaryLegend/status/784164517022343169

EDIT: Only for NVIDIA right now, though.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 7, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
It's interesting that they are able to implement both ASW and ATW.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nalin posted:

Can anyone play around with this? Interesting, I remember they had positional timewarp way back with like, sdk 0.6 or 0.7 but it was quickly taken out with the next version. I remember playing around with it back in ol' tuscany.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Can anyone play around with this? Interesting, I remember they had positional timewarp way back with like, sdk 0.6 or 0.7 but it was quickly taken out with the next version. I remember playing around with it back in ol' tuscany.

There are a couple links on reddit with people messing with it
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/568sq0/asynchronous_space_warp_test_in_chronos_gtx_970/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTf_MZr_xQw

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/568ia5/asynchonous_space_warp_is_unbelievable_american/

It's honestly sounding pretty magical.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

okay, someone on here needs to try this, crank the settings up and report back stat

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Tom Guycot posted:

Yep. Just create the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTARE\Oculus VR, LLC\LibOVR folder in your registry. Inside it, create a new DWORD called AswEnabled and set it to 1.

I've been playing around with it. It isn't as seamless as 90 Hz (of course), but it is a LOT better than 45 Hz. I mean, it is actually pretty dang good.

I launched EVE: Valkyrie and I jacked up all my settings to Ultra and enabled a bunch of super-sampling and it was awesome. It is not as smooth as native 90 Hz, but the fact that I could turn on anti-aliasing and super-sampling with ease may cause me to leave it on. While making big turns and lots of movement, I could cause crosshair corruption and other things, but with less intensive games I would DEFINITELY turn it on and jack up the super-sampling. The Rift already has better display quality. Being able to easily super-sample and stuff on a GTX 970 is pretty darn great.

EDIT: They also massively improved the performance of EVE: Valkyrie. I had Ultra settings with 135% resolution and I was still getting smoother gameplay with normal ATW. I might have to try to bump it up to 200% resolution or find another game to test with. But the developer options let you toggle between 45 Hz and 45 Hz with ASW, so I could compare the two easily.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 7, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Dang, guess its time to try landing on some planets in ED....

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A cockpit game like that will probably only get better performance with ATW. You don't translate your had around all that much in a cockpit.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

A cockpit game like that will probably only get better performance with ATW. You don't translate your had around all that much in a cockpit.

Well, the act of turning your head causes your eyes to actually change position in space, so even then it would still help. The big benefit is that it causes all the objects in the scene to move. So it can help fake 90Hz for the whole scene.

Real 90Hz is better in all cases, though.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This slide https://twitter.com/BinaryLegend/status/784162633872134144 says animation detection and compensation, so maybe it would make something like E:D smoother?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_mF6m_WJF8&t=5940s

ok I want the Harmonix game that's on PSVR

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Made it about 12 minutes in to Monstrum before I felt like throwing up and had to lay down:

https://www.twitch.tv/floorislava/v/93427067?t=02m46s

Note to self: Manually set OBS to capture game audio through the oculus headset.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 7, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are you encoding with CPU?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FormatAmerica posted:

Yeah. Wireless + inside-out tracking, I think.

Looked good & based off the CV1 + a unit attached to the back of the headstrap.

Sorry, I missed the steam, is this a real post or fake post? Screen shots?

I wasn't even aware that people thought inside out tracking was possible, let alone getting a working prototype going in this decade

Pics or it didn't happen. Inside out tracking is going to be huge for cell phone VR, if it's possible.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sir Tonk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_mF6m_WJF8&t=5940s

ok I want the Harmonix game that's on PSVR
Yeah that was a fun moment. I have a sinking feeling actually getting music into it will be rear end, though

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Hadlock posted:

Sorry, I missed the steam, is this a real post or fake post? Screen shots?

I wasn't even aware that people thought inside out tracking was possible, let alone getting a working prototype going in this decade

Pics or it didn't happen. Inside out tracking is going to be huge for cell phone VR, if it's possible.

http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-oculus-wireless-santa-cruz-prototype-makes-standalone-room-scale-tracking-a-reality/

It's basically a mobile GPU bolted onto a Rift with a bunch of cameras that allow it to track. It's also very much a prototype.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hadlock posted:

Did Hololens, Project Tango, and the acquisition of Surreal Vision by Oculus last year not give you a big-rear end hint that people were working on markerless tracking?

Like, none of this is ready for prime-time yet, but it's happening.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Also, I know this is reading into things, but after they showed that prototype, in his next sentence he mentions "3 years".

edit: Trust me I know it's reading into things, but it made me also wonder if that time frame mention was intentional, for whatever reasons.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 7, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nalin posted:

http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-oculus-wireless-santa-cruz-prototype-makes-standalone-room-scale-tracking-a-reality/

It's basically a mobile GPU bolted onto a Rift with a bunch of cameras that allow it to track. It's also very much a prototype.

Wow. That's huge. I had no idea they were this far along. I was expecting to see this in five, seven years.

Once they get it well baked, and it sounds like they're more than half way there, it's a hop, skip and a jump towards building a custom chip from silicon to handle most of the duties of inside-out tracking, then make it power efficient and pack it inside of a cell phone.

That's really exciting. We're just a couple years away from hitting a tech plateau with VR display tech, and then we only need to wait for GPU tech to catch up. VR could actually be mainstream before 2025 at this rate.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
In case you guys don't read the HTC thread, this is HTC's definition of roomscale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdW2_Bc_FH0&t=110s

What a marvelous breakthrough.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Just took a few minutes to fiddle with ASW a bit and, uh, wow. It's not a magic bullet, but it's still very impressive.

e: If you want to enable it without creating the necessary registry entries by hand, you can use this. Hotkeys as noted here:

Nalin posted:

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 7, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

What a marvelous breakthrough.

What do you mean by this?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cojawfee posted:

What do you mean by this?

He cares deeply about other people's opinions is what he means.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

KakerMix posted:

He cares deeply about other people's opinions is what he means.

Please, don't talk for me. I meant I think it's awesome that HTC invented roomscale where you can get up and walk around, instead of just looking around in 360. I'm impressed by their innovation, creativity, progress and boundaries they pushed.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Poetic Justice posted:

Please, don't talk for me. I meant I think it's awesome that HTC invented roomscale where you can get up and walk around, instead of just looking around in 360. I'm impressed by their innovation, creativity, progress and boundaries they pushed.
If your intent was a sick burn at HTC for using a very narrow definition of roomscale in a video from last year, I think you might have missed the mark a bit.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Helter Skelter posted:

If your intent was a sick burn at HTC for using a very narrow definition of roomscale in a video from last year, I think you might have missed the mark a bit.

Well, what is the definition of roomscale now? I can't keep up it keeps changing!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Seriously, don't do that weird wordy weasely poo poo now, what is roomscale? Define it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What the gently caress is this guy melting down about in multiple VR threads?