Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EdEddnEddy posted:

While the Rift is potentially a bit higher, if you are using the Vive you aren't getting the built in Audio (which for me, cost about $99 for Wireless Headphones) to make the Roomscale less of a pain in the rear end with more cables. So Eh...

Only thing still kinda bumming me out on my Rift is the stock face foam does suck. Has anyone used that VRCOVER's new replacement pads? Hate to buy more from them but they really are still the only guys in town. drat you Aboutface! :argh:

https://widmovr.com/

I have this cover and it's great. VRCover is total poo poo. I haven't used their latest one, but I won't give them money ever again for subpar crap. I have the first version of the WidmoVR cover and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
These are some expensive controllers.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sounds like he has the same bug I caught last week. Ugh.

Being sick makes you not want to touch VR with a 10' pole.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

https://widmovr.com/

I have this cover and it's great. VRCover is total poo poo. I haven't used their latest one, but I won't give them money ever again for subpar crap. I have the first version of the WidmoVR cover and it's great.

Hmm it's just a cover for the stock foam cover right? How much better does it make it feel?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Flumbooze posted:

These are some expensive controllers.
Though still cheaper than the Vive wands. Not that many people are just buying Vive wands, but there you have it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

Hmm it's just a cover for the stock foam cover right? How much better does it make it feel?

I don't know how much better it is but it feels comfortable, gets rid of the nose gap in a non terrible way. The nose portion of the VRCover would feel terrible and I'd have to adjust it. I don't even notice it with the WidmoVR one. You take off the facial interface off and then attach the cover on to it and then put the interface back on. Though with Oculus releasing the CAD files for the facial interface, there might be some better ones coming out sometime. VRCover apparently worked with oculus to make their replacement but I don't want to give them money ever again.

Helter Skelter posted:

Though still cheaper than the Vive wands. Not that many people are just buying Vive wands, but there you have it.

For real. This is a decent price. $199 gets you one Vive wand and maybe a link box or a cable.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

El Grillo posted:

Oculus roomscale: $599 + $199 + $79 = $877 +presumably some USB & HDMI extenders. How much is Vive, $799?

Don't forget the insane shipping costs that you're paying multiple times over.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
fuuuuck yessss, a(v?)r motherfuckers

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Depends on what sort of retail presence they have.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

Depends on what sort of retail presence they have.

They might get some in at Best Buy, they were very slow to stock the headsets at launch and onwards.

HTC got them on that one; I can walk into any Microsoft store and get a Vive, and my Microcenter even has a pile of open-box Vives at 20% off.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 6, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

pile of open-box Vives.

VR is dead.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

They might get some in at Best Buy, they were very slow to stock the headsets at launch and onwards.

HTC got them on that one; I can walk into any Microsoft store and get a Vive, and my Microcenter even has a pile of open-box Vives at 20% off.

These are a lot easier to produce though. The reason I think they are gonna do a hard retail push is there were two leaks from German(?) retailers that said Nov 27th, which sounds like that would be the date they would get them in stock, in order to sell them Dec 6th. We shall see though!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

VR is dead.

Oh they had like 7 open-box and 3 new. I got an open-box one back when I was posting about my brother's one that kept losing tracking. The one I got from Microcenter didn't even have the inside-seals broken. I think whoever bought it the first time around was either planning to scalp it and realized there was no profit by that time, or they just realized their PC wasn't good enough.

My brother jammed his Vive tracker into the closet and put cardboard "blinders" around it, which finally fixed the nonstop tracking loss.

I returned the open-box, but the purchase receipt auto-generated me a bunch of VR game steam codes for my trouble.

Poetic Justice posted:

These are a lot easier to produce though. The reason I think they are gonna do a hard retail push is there were two leaks from German(?) retailers that said Nov 27th, which sounds like that would be the date they would get them in stock, in order to sell them Dec 6th. We shall see though!

Yeah I'm in no rush. In fact I think I'll try to see if I can hold out and get some used on Amazon or SA Mart whatever instead of paying full retail.

Edit: Even as of this writing, Boston Microcenter has 6 new Vives and 6 open-box Vives, open box are $720 each. loving Taxachusetts skipped their August sales tax holiday this year though: http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=vive

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 6, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People on reddit are already real mad for whatever reason about Touch. Some people are upset that it isn't shipping in October like that one guy with no credentials promised. Other people are upset that whatever deal they imagined they would get for preordering the Rift won't come true. The deal was if you preordered the Rift, they would hold your spot in line for Touch. They haven't said anything contrary to this so far, so I'm guessing anyone who preordered the Rift will be able to order Touch whenever they want and their spot in line for the Rift will correspond to their spot in line for Touch. Though i'm not sure how much this matters if they are shipping "in bulk." Hopefully that means everyone who preorders gets theirs and it will also be in stores. I don't really care about getting it first, as long as I get it when it releases.

If anything, I hope anyone who is hoping to scalp these becomes super disappointed.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Michael Abrash's talk was really interesting. Lotsa cool stuff to look forward to in the coming years.

Touch looks really great too.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Also with an extra sensor being $70, that means Touch controls should be $60 a piece, which is nice.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

To what extent do vr hardware companies consider themselves competing? I mean the market is small enough and this is more about future positioning and any enthusiasm for vr is a net win for everyone so all vr sales are good or something. Do HTC or Oculus give a poo poo what their competitors are charging?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

To what extent do vr hardware companies consider themselves competing? I mean the market is small enough and this is more about future positioning and any enthusiasm for vr is a net win for everyone so all vr sales are good or something. Do HTC or Oculus give a poo poo what their competitors are charging?

From Oculus's point of view, every customer who buys a Vive instead of a Rift is a customer that isn't getting the Oculus Home ecosystem pushed at them whenever they go into VR, and that's absolutely something they care about.

For HTC I'm less sure, simply because I still don't get what HTC's endgame is for VR.

Sony obviously don't give two hoots what the PC weirdos are doing.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I swear I heard hints of Spacewarp after Sony's 60hz-120hz interpolation box was presented. Great as hell news and quite likely a Rift awaiting me in the future

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Eyud posted:

Michael Abrash's talk was really interesting. Lotsa cool stuff to look forward to in the coming years.

Touch looks really great too.

I love watching Abrash's talks. The guy is legit excited about the technology and it shows.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Cojawfee posted:

People on reddit are already real mad for whatever reason about Touch. Some people are upset that it isn't shipping in October like that one guy with no credentials promised.

It's sort of like how every year during E3, people joke about how "Gaben might show up, and Half-Life 3 will be announced and released on Steam right there-and-then," but then are actually disappointed when it doesn't happen. :shrug:

If Oculus would sell the Rift + Touch + 3rd sensor in a package for $799, I would be sorely tempted to go with it over the Vive. Then again, aren't they already selling their hardware at a loss? So odds are slim to nil.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Cojawfee posted:

People on reddit are already real mad for whatever reason about Touch. Some people are upset that it isn't shipping in October like that one guy with no credentials promised. Other people are upset that whatever deal they imagined they would get for preordering the Rift won't come true. The deal was if you preordered the Rift, they would hold your spot in line for Touch. They haven't said anything contrary to this so far, so I'm guessing anyone who preordered the Rift will be able to order Touch whenever they want and their spot in line for the Rift will correspond to their spot in line for Touch. Though i'm not sure how much this matters if they are shipping "in bulk." Hopefully that means everyone who preorders gets theirs and it will also be in stores. I don't really care about getting it first, as long as I get it when it releases.

If anything, I hope anyone who is hoping to scalp these becomes super disappointed.
Well I preordered mine of Amazon UK today with free Prime shipping, and it says it's arriving November 24th. I will assume they'll set that date back to December 6th this Monday when preorders officially go live but hey.

bringer posted:

Oculus has been all about lock-in, now that they have people committed for $600 + their software library is when they get to make their money back.
The one thing that really bothers me about Oculus's plans is the separation of multiplayer by platform - games bought through Oculus's store not being able to tap into the same server networks as games bought elsewhere. Fragmenting multiplayer communities is a poo poo idea but with VR it's exceptionally dumb, given the relatively small userbase. Maybe there are genuine technical obstacles though.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 6, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

I swear I heard hints of Spacewarp after Sony's 60hz-120hz interpolation box was presented. Great as hell news and quite likely a Rift awaiting me in the future

Honestly, the small amount of technical detail they gave makes me very wary of "Spacewarp". It sounds like they're combining 45-to-90 rotational reprojection - i.e. the bad SteamVR version of timewarp - with two frames of object movement extrapolation, which is something people have been trying to make look good for over a decade without any success. If we had a good quality two-frame object movement extrapolation technique there would literally be no 30fps games on consoles, so until Oculus actually show this working I'm extremely sceptical.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Since Valve has still yet to implement proper async timewarp... how fast do you think they'll go trying to kludge together a working space warp?

Or are they still betting on their dynamic renderer to save the day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

El Grillo posted:

The one thing that really bothers me about Oculus's plans is the separation of multiplayer by platform - games bought through Oculus's store not being able to tap into the same server networks as games bought elsewhere. Fragmenting multiplayer communities is a poo poo idea but with VR it's exceptionally dumb, given the relatively small userbase. Maybe there are genuine technical obstacles though.

This isn't the fault of Oculus as far as I can tell. A lot of games do their multiplayer using Steamworks. Games not on steam can't really do that. Unless devs start setting up their own multiplayer systems, you'll have this issue.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

This isn't the fault of Oculus as far as I can tell. A lot of games do their multiplayer using Steamworks. Games not on steam can't really do that. Unless devs start setting up their own multiplayer systems, you'll have this issue.

I'm optimistic that new games releasing on both stores won't have this problem, at least for a while. Since Oculus don't provide any multiplayer tech yet devs releasing on Home are going to have to write or license their own, and once they have that they don't need to bother with Steamworks. The division's only an issue for games that came out on Steam before considering Home, so they're already locked in to Steamworks.

Of course if Oculus ever do provide a multiplayer framework then this will become an issue again. Fortunately for users there's no sign of that happening.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
"Room scale"

I find it frustrating that every blog post seem to gloss over this slide.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

NRVNQSR posted:

Honestly, the small amount of technical detail they gave makes me very wary of "Spacewarp". It sounds like they're combining 45-to-90 rotational reprojection - i.e. the bad SteamVR version of timewarp - with two frames of object movement extrapolation, which is something people have been trying to make look good for over a decade without any success. If we had a good quality two-frame object movement extrapolation technique there would literally be no 30fps games on consoles, so until Oculus actually show this working I'm extremely sceptical.

It sounds pretty cool, but I would have to see spacewarp to see which I like better. At which point does spacewarp kick in?

Take a game running at 75 frames/second.

Vive will limit the game to 45 frames/second and reproject every 2nd frame (every other frame).
Rift will run the game at 75 frames/second and reproject every 6th frame.

Do I really want to lose those extra 4 frames by dropping down to 45 frames? Will the benefits outweigh it? That's why I am really curious as to when it kicks in.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 6, 2016

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I still think Oculus is crazy if they think a vr store without refunds is going to catch on regardless of what else they do. I've barely ever refunded a digital product but vr games are absurdly personally specific as to what bothers you and there's no real way to determine that without trying. Even a fairly short and strict refund policy would be sufficient. This is even more so because the Oculus exclusive games tend to be pretty expensive (The Climb is $50).

They don't talk about it much but PSN does do refunds and I'm curious if they make that more explicit with vr.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

w00tazn posted:

I find it frustrating that every blog post seem to gloss over this slide.

When Oculus's own keynote says, verbatim, "the Rift supports roomscale if you add a third camera", you can't really blame people for taking that to mean "you need a third camera for roomscale on the Rift".

Though honestly I don't know why they said that, since I'm not really clear on how a third camera makes any real difference to how well the Rift supports roomscale. The blind spot problems are still just as bad whether you have two, three or five cameras. Or they're just as much not an issue, depending on your point of view.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
With the little Touch trailer they showed, it looked like they were only showing gesture tracking for index finger and thumb. For some reason I had the impression they are able to tell whether your whole hand (i.e. the other three fingers as well) is open or closed, am I just making this up?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

El Grillo posted:

With the little Touch trailer they showed, it looked like they were only showing gesture tracking for index finger and thumb. For some reason I had the impression they are able to tell whether your whole hand (i.e. the other three fingers as well) is open or closed, am I just making this up?

As I recall it has three capacitative trackers; one for the thumb, one for the index finger, and one for the other three fingers together? They probably didn't show the last one because it doesn't look as good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think this is just a case of them using the wrong words and not explaining anything. Maybe they'll discuss what it all means in interviews later. From what it looks like to me, You can use two cameras for standing VR like using the standing config for SteamVR. Then you use three cameras to get a bigger area with a full overlap. I don't know if that grid in the "360" image means anything, but if those squares are 1ft square, then that means the cameras are bout 8.5' apart which would be pretty good for a small play area. Adding more cameras means you get more overlap. Three cameras is probably the sweet spot for getting a big area for the lowest price. Four cameras would allow for a 10'x10' area most likely. That's an area where no matter where you look, you get the same unobstructed tracking as forward facing with two cameras. It's been reported that the Oculus software supports up to four cameras.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

so oculus roomscale is 4 usb ports plus 3 usb wires surrounding your room?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Inside-Out prototype ('Santa Cruz') is being demoed to press at the conference http://uploadvr.com/hands-santa-cruz-inside-out/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you preordered the rift, you should have gotten an email from Oculus saying you have until October 27th to preorder Touch to keep your priority spot in line. You have to order with the same email you ordered the rift with.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

If you preordered the rift, you should have gotten an email from Oculus saying you have until October 27th to preorder Touch to keep your priority spot in line. You have to order with the same email you ordered the rift with.

Hmmm, I haven't gotten that.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

They don't talk about it much but PSN does do refunds and I'm curious if they make that more explicit with vr.

As far as I'm aware PSN refunds don't exist. And I don't think refunds really exist on Xbox Live either.

Usually you end up having to do a charge-back on your CC if you want the money back, but welp here's a perma ban on your account instead.
Xbox Live actually just lets you go negative and will force you to pay out when you attempt to renew next year. (Like in the case where your CC expires and they attempt to renew)

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 6, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Also, getting the computers that are able to run the Rift down to $499 is really excellent. It probably won't change adoption much yet but still, good on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

w00tazn posted:

As far as I'm aware PSN refunds don't exist.

You have to plea your case to an online rep but it works. As much as Sony is trying to make their games nausea free any news stories about people stuck with expensive games that make them sick wouldn't seem good for such a fragile product pr wise. Sony is trying to push into a general audience unlike Oculus so I'm curious how they will pivot.

Then again I'm surprised they aren't responding more quickly to streamers and early reviewers with issues. Like at this stage I'd think you'd have reps watching the internet and get support people immediately to anyone with a problem. You don't want the early scuttlebutt to be entirely about problems.