Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Just make make your raid 5s like 15 disks large. One failure domain means there fewer ways for it to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
jbod everything

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
JBOD

EVERYTHING

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Re: RAID Talk

I'm doing a writeup on a new client because their entire IT team left in a huff, and the brass wants to know why because it may cost the IT VP his job.

They have Windows Server 2012R2 running Hyper-V in full mode (not the standalone hypervisor) with multiple Server 2012R2 instances, each with 6GB of RAM. They have a Sharepoint single instance VM that is always a performance problem....for some reason because M1cro$haft sux, guyz. :v:

But the best is the RAID setup. They have two SuperMicro storage cases with 16 disks each running RAID 5. They have two full tower loving Compaq cases with 8 drives in one and 12 in the other, also running RAID5 via LVM, on Ubuntu 8.04 desktop installations.

All of these are shared via 100mbps hubs exclusively to the Full Mode HyperV installation, which then has VHDs setup on each share and has them pooled into a single, non-redundant, space. Edit: This is where the VMs are stored!

Anyone wants to place a bet on which slight breeze burns down this place?

Arsten fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 6, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

JBOD

EVERYTHING

I'm usually okay with a messy rack it happens and if you are understaffed it can be hard to get the downtime to fix it and just add to it.

But that. That is horrible. How the gently caress does that even happen.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Arsten posted:

They have two SuperMicro storage cases with 16 disks each running RAID 5. They have two full tower loving Compaq cases with 8 drives in one and 12 in the other, also running RAID5 via LVM, on Ubuntu 8.04 desktop installations.

:stare:

Arsten posted:

All of these are shared via 100mbps hubs exclusively to the Full Mode HyperV installation, which then has VHDs setup on each share and has them pooled into a single, non-redundant, space.

:vince:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

pixaal posted:

I'm usually okay with a messy rack it happens and if you are understaffed it can be hard to get the downtime to fix it and just add to it.

What do you consider a messy rack then? This is pretty much the default where people give no shits.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Arsten posted:

Re: RAID Talk

I'm doing a writeup on a new client

Is your "writeup" just a gif of a burning dumpster? I feel that accurately says all that needs saying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

JBOD

EVERYTHING

Here's how you fix that; Document the service on the ports at each end of the fibre, place them out of service, then clear the whole goddamn mess with a weedwhacker and start over with spliced-to-length fibre. If you told me there wasn't at least one core in there that wasn't bent at a bad angle or outright fractured, I'd call you drat liar.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Arsten posted:

100mbps hubs

owwwww. Everything hurt there but this would be my reason to up and leave.

pixaal posted:

I love the middle rack there. They used the cable management add-ons and then strung cables OVER them to go direct to the left rack.

"We're totally going to make this one look better, we're gonna do this the right way, things are improvi- wha? I need 12 cables to this patch panel? eh ok this'll take 10 seconds..."

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Is your "writeup" just a gif of a burning dumpster? I feel that accurately says all that needs saying.

Now I know what the first slide in my Powerpoint is going to be. Onto to shamelessly stealing both this idea and an image from GIS......

Judge Schnoopy posted:

owwwww. Everything hurt there but this would be my reason to up and leave.

Psh. It's SPREAD OVER FOUR SERVERS. They can't even keep up with the hub anyway.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Philip Rivers posted:

I dunno if paychat is appropriate for this thread, but if anyone here is in product management, how much were you making starting out? I'm hoping I can land somewhere in the ~$85k range but I'd be working with a startup and I don't know how they calculate compensation or anything like that. I'm getting a call about the offer tomorrow and I'm scared I'm gonna get lowballed because I'm more of a bright prospect than an ideal fit for the role right out of college. :ohdear:

I can take this to the negotiations thread if this is clutter but I thought I might be able to find some folks with specific insights here.

What in the world would make you think you're worth 85k right out of college? Do you have a masters? PHd?

If you've got a bachelor's degree, take anything above the 35-40k you'd make doing helpdesk and be loving thrilled you've got it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

JBOD

EVERYTHING
This is why I hate 600mm wide racks. Even if you wanted to, there's no room to properly manage that amount of cable without extra space around the rails.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DigitalMocking posted:

What in the world would make you think you're worth 85k right out of college? Do you have a masters? PHd?

If you've got a bachelor's degree, take anything above the 35-40k you'd make doing helpdesk and be loving thrilled you've got it.

College likely talking up the earning potential of the degree.

85k is more a 5 year plan if you are good, 10 year if you stay too long at places or are just above average. Startups are also notorious for underpaying and giving you stocks. Stocks can be huge if you have a good feeling the company is going to do well. If you are paid in stocks for most of your salary you have more of a reason to put in overtime for free, if the company does well you get paid more! Just make sure to sell before it all crashes around you.

Nothing is worse than a big shot who thinks they know all the secrets of IT. Sometimes you just don't put best practice into play because the budget isn't there or it doesn't work with some software or hardware, or whoever set the drat thing up was an idiot and fixing it will be too big a pain in the rear end and cause too much downtime to be acceptable so you keep doing it the wrong or odd way. Like Windows login is First.L, Database login is F.Last and Email is First.Last, like hell I'm going to standardize that for new users. It will be a massive mess to remember who is setup what way.

Word of advice to anyone just entering the field from college keep your head down and lurk. Don't go above your bosses head, if you have an idea bring it up to your boss but if they shoot it down drop it. They don't need to explain, they likely have their reasons especially if it's obvious. They could have been down this road before. If you really must bring it up 6-12 months later and see if you can get an idea of why they think it's a bad idea for this environment.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 6, 2016

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

This is why I hate 600mm wide racks. Even if you wanted to, there's no room to properly manage that amount of cable without extra space around the rails.

Bad racks, wrong lengths, no effort. A winning combination for everyone. I like the random bits of velcro that were probably put there when someone was thinking "hmm maybe 20+ pounds of weight on my switch ports isn't that good. But redoing it is hard :effort:"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Arsten posted:

...and has them pooled into a single, non-redundant, space. Edit: This is where the VMs are stored!

:negative:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Ya I felt extremely blessed to be making anything over 50k right out of college but I suppose area could make a difference (cost of living is p low where I'm at)

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 6, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe it's not USD?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DigitalMocking posted:

I think "Where" is really important here. If he went to a good school and this is in a major metro I could see it being around $80, PMs seem to get paid well.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Now that I'm making more money at IT doing something dull, I realize I would rather make less money and do something in IT that interests me. Might be time to hit them webjobs.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Inspector_666 posted:

I think "Where" is really important here. If he went to a good school and this is in a major metro I could see it being around $80, PMs seem to get paid well.

PMs sure. You aren't going to get a job as a PM fresh out of college. You'll be a Junior PM or PM Assistant and make 40k even in NYC. (At least that's how it was 10 years ago, I doubt it's changed at all since then)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pascale has changed in 10 years.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Gumball Gumption posted:

Pascale has changed in 10 years.

Yeah, it's gone down.

realtalk, I make 3% less a year now than I did in 1998 for roughly the same job responsibilities, but with a shitload more experience. Granted, the start of the .com bubble was a crazy time, but still.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
West chicago suburbs, a college grad with no experience would be lucky to find 50k and would probably have to commute into the city to get it. Normal starting is probably closer to low / mid 40k. 60k is virtually impossible without experience.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Chickenwalker posted:

Can anybody recommend no-nonsense, nearly bulletproof storage vendors with good bandwidth, good $/GB ratio, and really good support? This is for large quantities of digitized media, so any fancy features like compression/deduplication are probably going to be either undesirable or useless.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I'm really impressed with some of the storage features in Windows Server 2016 and would seriously consider some of the options based around Storage Spaces Direct. I saw a couple presentations at MS Ignite about what they can do with the new features and it was pretty impressive. Big name storage isn't going anywhere but a MS shop could see significant savings. DataOn, HPE, Lenovo, and others have hardware solutions that are designed to work well with S2D and the rest of the new features.

Here's an ignite presentation covering some of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJv2uGp6TXc

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I live in an expensive area in California. My official title would be associate product manager which according to Glassdoor average a little shy of $80k in my area. I'm probably being too optimistic since I'm a naive recent grad and I mean, shoot, $60-70k would be a godsend at this point in my life, but the company seems to pay well in general and I might as well aim high. I have a really fancy degree, too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Philip Rivers posted:

I live in an expensive area in California. My official title would be associate product manager which according to Glassdoor average a little shy of $80k in my area. I'm probably being too optimistic since I'm a naive recent grad and I mean, shoot, $60-70k would be a godsend at this point in my life, but the company seems to pay well in general and I might as well aim high. I have a really fancy degree, too.

Titles are A) meaningless in IT for the most part B) Average is usually someone who has had that title for 5-6 years not just getting it.

People love to throw around titles and use them wrong in IT.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

skipdogg posted:

This might not be a popular opinion, but I'm really impressed with some of the storage features in Windows Server 2016 and would seriously consider some of the options based around Storage Spaces Direct. I saw a couple presentations at MS Ignite about what they can do with the new features and it was pretty impressive. Big name storage isn't going anywhere but a MS shop could see significant savings. DataOn, HPE, Lenovo, and others have hardware solutions that are designed to work well with S2D and the rest of the new features.

Here's an ignite presentation covering some of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJv2uGp6TXc

I did a Widows Azure Pack POC a while back for a large hosting company and they ran a Cisco UCS chassis with RDMA NICs for the storage and a DataOn appliances setup with Storage Spaces as a Scale Out File Server for the VM storage. It was pretty drat slick and any new Hyper-V clusters they added to the environment would be able to access the VM files without regard for which cluster they were in. Also adding storage to the environment would be trivially easy. It was a pretty impressive result and very cost effective for them.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

pixaal posted:

Titles are A) meaningless in IT for the most part B) Average is usually someone who has had that title for 5-6 years not just getting it.

People love to throw around titles and use them wrong in IT.

I guess to clarify I'd be the kind of PM that works alongside the software engineers. I'll temper my expectations though, y'all are probably right.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pixaal posted:

They are lovely narrow racks and people are trying to run more than 1 drop per U into them, there's nothing to manage cables going vertically, and nothing to carry them across to other racks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

I guess to clarify I'd be the kind of PM that works alongside the software engineers. I'll temper my expectations though, y'all are probably right.

It's not that we're making GBS threads on your dreams, just getting you to reset the gauge from "college placement market-speak" to "reality".

Besides, watching your slow descent into despair and madness over the years will be much more entertaining to us.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Do you have any experience? Isn't any sort of PM role without experience insanely atypical ?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I thought PMs having no clue was pretty much par for the course?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Any decent System Admin 2-year degree or a 4-year MIS ought to and should be able to get you at the minimum 45k/y starting with decent benefits.

Source - My employer, local colleges, etc.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I work with some decent PM's, but I've dealt with my fair share of lovely PM's so I'm much more thankful when I work with good ones

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've worked with a single good PM in my career. Actually had her PMP and the whole bit. It was so much nicer than working with the normal trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008