Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They have more then one artist and are working on new maps and characters simultaneously.

The cool thing about having 100 staff on team is you can make goofy halloween outfits and new gameplay content at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I agree that good Reinhardt play is more than holding M2 in a doorway but at the same time imagine these same atrocious Reinhardt players trying to play someone like Zarya where you have to juggle two abilities on cooldown to manage your charge and keep an eye on your shields to know when to duck behind cover to let them recharge and when to use M1 (a weapon which relies on good tracking skill to get the most out of it) versus M2, knowing when and how to use Graviton Surge, etc.

The people who are kinda bad at the 1-star hero would be garbage at the 3-star hero. In this example, the system kinda works.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I agree that good Reinhardt play is more than holding M2 in a doorway but at the same time imagine these same atrocious Reinhardt players trying to play someone like Zarya where you have to juggle two abilities on cooldown to manage your charge and keep an eye on your shields to know when to duck behind cover to let them recharge and when to use M1 (a weapon which relies on good tracking skill to get the most out of it) versus M2, knowing when and how to use Graviton Surge, etc.

I get you, I'm just saying that you don't need to have really good aim to swing a hammer and stand somewhere with your shield up. it's friendlier to new players and people that can't aim because they can feel like they contribute to the game without being a dm god on mccree or whatever. those ratings are for those new players, not people that are really good. they can start with something that's easy to understand the basic function of without needing to feel like they have to be super good to use

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

I think I found out what happens when two Roadhogs hook each other at the exact same time

http://plays.tv/video/57f6bd41816bd53221/hooks-portals?from=user

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Gimnbo posted:

The people who are kinda bad at the 1-star hero would be garbage at the 3-star hero. In this example, the system kinda works.

Exactly, he's mechanically one of the easiest characters to play, if not the easiest. You just probably don't notice them being garbage with another character as much as you do when they're Rein, because the Rein is standing right there in front of you the entire game.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Mr. Mojangles posted:

I think I found out what happens when two Roadhogs hook each other at the exact same time

http://plays.tv/video/57f6bd41816bd53221/hooks-portals?from=user

Just instant death for both Roadhogs... Awesome work there Blizzard.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

I get you, I'm just saying that you don't need to have really good aim to swing a hammer and stand somewhere with your shield up. it's friendlier to new players and people that can't aim because they can feel like they contribute to the game without being a dm god on mccree or whatever. those ratings are for those new players, not people that are really good. they can start with something that's easy to understand the basic function of without needing to feel like they have to be super good to use

I was actually agreeing with you to be clear. Like yes, Reinhardt has more depth to him than just holding his shield up but at the same time a Rein who just holds his shield up can still be helpful as you said, meanwhile that same person playing Zarya would likely be completely over their head because Zarya can't just do something simple like that and still be effective. Rein is a 1-star hero in that sense even though there's plenty more to him that differentiates a poor Rein player from a good one.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

They have more then one artist and are working on new maps and characters simultaneously.

The cool thing about having 100 staff on team is you can make goofy halloween outfits and new gameplay content at the same time.

Sure, where's the skins? They can work on both but for some reason event skins completely out number skins that can be bought with gold. The fact is Blizzard hosed up and was too generous with gold drops and changing that would upset idiots more than having limited edition skins that can't be bought with gold/money (probably less profitable too so win win). It's only cosmetics people say! It is cosmetics but every time you see them, every time you get a crate ("open now") you are being advertised to. So I paid $40ish bucks just to get advertisements shoved down my throat? The issue really stems from companies knowing people won't accept higher priced games, so they charge full price but give you less and have in game monetization. It's good in that it makes games cheaper. It's bad in that it cheapens the game experience.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Sure, where's the skins? They can work on both but for some reason event skins completely out number skins that can be bought with gold. The fact is Blizzard hosed up and was too generous with gold drops and changing that would upset idiots more than having limited edition skins that can't be bought with gold/money (probably less profitable too so win win). It's only cosmetics people say! It is cosmetics but every time you see them, every time you get a crate ("open now") you are being advertised to. So I paid $40ish bucks just to get advertisements shoved down my throat? The issue really stems from companies knowing people won't accept higher priced games, so they charge full price but give you less and have in game monetization. It's good in that it makes games cheaper it's bad in that it cheapens the game experience.

man i was gonna respond to this but lol nah

just don't forget that every character also got 2 new emotes after the summer event that could be bought with regular coins

Huxley posted:

I feel like for Summer Games I remember the "up on the store" thing happening in the morning and the patch dropping by the afternoon.

we'll find out in about an hour! they drop patches at 6pm central for some reason.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

man i was gonna respond to this but lol nah

just don't forget that every character also got 2 new emotes after the summer event that could be bought with regular coins

we'll find out in about an hour! they drop patches at 6pm central for some reason.

I did forget about those. I like how there's like fourish hello emotes (like they just slapped on the same animation for multiple characters, although I might be imagining this). Cutting corners, savin' money. Emotes are totally less in demand when compared to skins.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Personally I like that skins are coming out at a trickle, the longer this game can stave off Valveitis the better.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

(like they just slapped on the same animation for multiple characters, although I might be imagining this).

you are imagining it because everyone's wave is different

KoB
May 1, 2009
Junkrat even has two different ones depending on if hes holding the detonator or not.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

some of the waves are kinda similar so I can see why someone would think that

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's almost as if waving was a pretty similar movement for real people also. Nitpicky motherfuckers man.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

It's almost as if waving was a pretty similar movement for real people also. Nitpicky motherfuckers man.

Yeah it's this most are pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ZDy9s6lmc. Roadhog, Reinhardt. Pharah, Winston. Soldier, Reaper. In my defense I play Hearthstone and Blizzard taking shortcuts isn't strange.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Where's the update!!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

probably a week or 2 in the future

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
It's waiting till I'm in the L50+ exp shitbox

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
One thing I find kinda weird is the lack of palette swaps. Like, I'm no Computer Man, but surely changing the colours on a dude isn't that big a deal? You'd think they'd wanna shart out palette swaps by the zillion so that dudes might decide they really need that particular hideous barf skin and throw dollarydoos down to buy Blizzbux.

Oh also I have taken to bellowing "TAKE THAT YA WEEABOO gently caress" over the mic whenever I manage to hook/blast a Genji as Roadhog. Apologies if you are on my team when this happens.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Disgusting Coward posted:

Oh also I have taken to bellowing "TAKE THAT YA WEEABOO gently caress" over the mic whenever I manage to hook/blast a Genji as Roadhog. Apologies if you are on my team when this happens.

lul so random XD

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

One thing I find kinda weird is the lack of palette swaps. Like, I'm no Computer Man, but surely changing the colours on a dude isn't that big a deal? You'd think they'd wanna shart out palette swaps by the zillion so that dudes might decide they really need that particular hideous barf skin and throw dollarydoos down to buy Blizzbux.

There are a ton of palette swaps though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

all blue skins and most purples are pallet swaps. I wish more of the purple skins were like pharah's or ana's and less were like, say, genji's. I like some of the pallet swaps (including genji's purple skins), don't get me wrong, I just think that a rare skin should be more than that

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Papercut posted:

There are a ton of palette swaps though.

Not really though. Per character you've got four boring swaps, two Fancy swaps, one swap for each legendary. Why not go full fuckin' rainbow and have, like, 20 per shootman? Virtual dolly dressup is big money if TF2, Rocket League or CS: GO are any indication. Why isn't Blizz getting on the gravy train?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Not really though. Per character you've got four boring swaps, two Fancy swaps, one swap for each legendary. Why not go full fuckin' rainbow and have, like, 20 per shootman? Virtual dolly dressup is big money if TF2, Rocket League or CS: GO are any indication. Why isn't Blizz getting on the gravy train?

They'll get there, but doing that from the start would be a huge bummer. Boy I sure would love 10 different colors of skins I dont like.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Can't wait for them to reuse the full image for the Spring Easter event. Roadhog is gonna be cute as hell in that Playboy bunny outfit with fishnets.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Oh no only 7 palette swaps per character?!? Whatever shall we do?

I imagine they didn't come out with dozens of nearly indistinguishable skins because they want each skin to actually feel somewhat valuable/interesting.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

You clearly don't understand the way microtransacations make money. Also there are some things you should probably never ever say in your life. that was one of them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duck and Cover posted:

This is a neato argument that everyone always rushes to point out. Here's the thing, the artists seem to be working on event poo poo without ever releasing none event poo poo (yes I know Anna/Reinhardt and a map). More stuff to buy with gold was expected, as well as more maps (you need an artist for that right? Not necessarily but for Blizzard most definitely ). Oh what were the programmers doing? Making loving lucio ball.

guess I've been imagining all those patches they've put out for the game

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

I support saying this to every genji.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Bumper Stickup posted:

I support saying this to every genji.

Unfortunately mic chat = team chat.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I looked at Reinhardt's help screen and my eyes bugged out when I saw he only had a difficulty rating of 1-star. Really? He's like one of the hardest characters to use effectively. At least it must explain all the atrocious pubbies I see standing in doorways all game thinking they're helping.

If you had a Reinhardt who literally just taped down left trigger and walked straight towards the point/payload he'd still be contributing more to the team than the hanzo/widow who can't hit a single shot

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Why the gently caress would you queue as a 5 man and not pick a healer? Lololoool it's QP bro

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Internet Explorer posted:

Why the gently caress would you queue as a 5 man and not pick a healer? Lololoool it's QP bro

That's a valid point though? It's QP who cares

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

gently caress you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Explorer posted:

gently caress you.

If you go into QP thinking anyone on your team gives any fractional fucks about even making a partial effort let alone winning then lol brother you done hosed yourself

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
QP is for practicing characters. If you want to care about team composition and trying to do everything in your power to win you should be playing comp.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Commoners posted:

QP is for practicing characters. If you want to care about team composition and trying to do everything in your power to win you should be playing comp.

This. Even goons who say "oh it's tryhard time now" after getting rolled for half a map aren't actually going to try in QP. QP isn't about performance of any kind unless you mean method acting.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If I'm doing QP and no one picks a healer I'll usually just play Lucio. He's pretty self sufficient and lets you practice 1v1s with him because if you get killed and your team wipes because they're not getting healed who loving cares? You hate those people anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah I'm sure it's a load of fun getting 5 friends together then getting roflstomped because healers are for losers amiriteguys.