Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lizard Wizard posted:

Dang, nice, our party started at level 1

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Tried to get into Pathfinder once. I had never played any live RPGs before and it was a new group forming and we're all meeting for the first time. Long story short: the DM didn't know poo poo about anything and was basically recruiting a captive audience for his lame fantasy novel.

Highlights:
DM on rolling stats: "roll seven D20s and throw out the lowest number". No further instructions.
DM when asked how wizard opposition schools work: No coherent response, didn't seem familiar with term.
DM running combat: No grid present. Positioning/distances not accounted for or even acknowledged. Essentially rolling attack in a void.

Even with my limited experience consisting solely of Baldur's Gate rules I knew something was very wrong. Did not go back.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

pathfinder seems like a bad one to do for a first time meeting

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's the best board game to play in a room, alone

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Eldritch Horror.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Protip: if you're new to D&D just roll a spellcaster so you don't have to know a bunch of combat rolls.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Help Im Alive posted:

it's still Pandemic

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

anyone who wants to play d&d should know that fights take an hour per player

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My favorite d&d moment was when my warrior got put into near death and I told our wizard to have his golem throw my body at the warrior that was killing us, since my dude was about 200+ pounds of full platemail.

I got the kill, technically. :whatup:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nice, crosscode 0.8 is out. they're getting closer to finished...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

anyone who wants to play d&d should know that fights take an hour per player

This is real.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Tabletop RPGs are very enjoyable when the person running the game actually wants people to have fun. If they are trying to force you through their fantasy or sci-fi epic and making the experience boring inside combat or not, they're are only playing for themselves. A good DM knows what clues to drop to move the story along, and when to fudge a roll in the player's favor. They also know to tailor the game to the players. One of the best sessions I ran involved a torch lit room that was filling with oil, skeletons crawling out of recesses in the wall, and a giant grid of letters on a slab. Two people fought, two worked on riddles, everyone got very close to exploding. The larger campaign wasn't the best and was too circuitous, but I learned from it and got better.

When I discovered MUDs (shout out to Achaea) I thought a great idea for a game would be a text-based client that could manage small parties with an AI DM. Make it a little like a CYOA with a handful of modules and let players keep their character sheet between games. You could even have a save function in case you couldn't finish the whole thing in one sitting, just like real tabletop RPGs. I also thought having different DM AIs would be neat, with the players being able to vote for who they wanted or to leave it random. One could be easier than normal, one harder, one more irreverent, etc. Canned dialogue and reactions, not really AI but you know what I mean. Now I see all these programs that simulate the tabletop experience on the PC, but none of them simulate the DM for you.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

D&D 5e is a lot faster than 3.5/4e/Pathfinder but is pretty bad otherwise.

For a newbie I who wants a D&D style experience I would recommend something like Dungeon World before any edition of D&D. It's lightweight, easy to learn and gets you to the actual roleplaying very quickly.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh good news clockwork empires comes out on the 26th. i don't know if it's done yet but i trust gaslamp games

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Dubstep everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOrlmuprm-8

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
We were fighting a witch last night and my friend (a wild mage) was hiding in a tree because he's incredibly squishy. He cast a spell on a stick and threw it at her, but got a bad roll and got hit with a surge. Throwing the stick ended up causing his skull to shrink and nearly killed him.

Oh and he missed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I put in for three days off including my birthday, but I did not foresee the result being seven straight days of work. gently caress me I guess!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

I put in for three days off including my birthday, but I did not foresee the result being seven straight days of work. gently caress me I guess!

I'll never understand why that loophole exists.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today's my birthday and I was so caught up planning our wedding later this month I forgot to ask off :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my birthday is wednesday. happy birthday to the best birthday month people

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Happy birthday!

oddium posted:

Happy almost birthday :)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

oddium posted:

Only time i"m jealous of my best friend.

Birthday on Halloween.

Lucky.

BASTARD.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also, I wish I knew how to play D&D but I always forget pretty much everything in between sessions and even with a DM book I could never figure out how to actually run a game.

I'm hoping that if I ever somehow have money and am able to obtain a copy of anything like uhh

I've heard they're super random but I don't really care, I know I'd have fun with them. If I could get mage knight, I'd probably enjoy that, too. And all of the Pixel Tactics decks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, I wish I knew how to play D&D but I always forget pretty much everything in between sessions and even with a DM book I could never figure out how to actually run a game.

I'm hoping that if I ever somehow have money and am able to obtain a copy of anything like uhh

I've heard they're super random but I don't really care, I know I'd have fun with them. If I could get mage knight, I'd probably enjoy that, too. And all of the Pixel Tactics decks.

I was really sad 4e never got some kinda computerized version where the rules and possible actions are laid out as nice buttons and the math is done for you. It seemed really well suited for that and it would have allowed people who have trouble with the rules to play with veterans without problem, as well as sped up combat considerably.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I was really sad 4e never got some kinda computerized version where the rules and possible actions are laid out as nice buttons and the math is done for you.

WoWJoke.rtf

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Make sure you play Animal Crossing on your birthday so you can spend it with the people that really care about you

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also the Phantom Pain and most of the DS Castlevanias (if not all of them?).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Only now do I truly understand the feelings of the lowly orc peon.

Work work. :smith:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I highly suggest that whoever it was that had the PSVR on preorder look at bits of that long 5 hour stream GiantBomb did with it because it looks real bad.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I was really sad 4e never got some kinda computerized version where the rules and possible actions are laid out as nice buttons and the math is done for you. It seemed really well suited for that and it would have allowed people who have trouble with the rules to play with veterans without problem, as well as sped up combat considerably.

it's criminal that the wii u never got anything like that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phantasium posted:

I highly suggest that whoever it was that had the PSVR on preorder look at bits of that long 5 hour stream GiantBomb did with it because it looks real bad.
thats because VR is bad

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

it's criminal that the wii u never got anything like that

yeah, the Wii U controller is basically made for being a DM. It's really dumb they never did anything with that potential.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

while i support not buying vr, i think gb had either a broken setup or were doing something wrong cause no other reviewer i watched had the head tracking issues as bad as they had. part of it might be jeff's high level of experience with other more expensive headset/camera array set ups vs people who aren't expecting to do more than sit at their desk right in front of the camera idk.

cancel your preorder in general imo regardless.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the OG Wii's most popular third party title was shovelware Carnival Games

as if the analogy couldn't be more perfect, guess what comes out later this month

http://store.steampowered.com/app/458920/

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lurdiak posted:

This is real.

Pretty much every time I play a pen and paper rpg it is mostly me trying increasingly stupid ways to avoid any sort of combat or completely trivialize it.

Nobody wants to play a straight up intrigue game with me :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
D&D is good fun and I am still down to play with goons if that ever happens

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I wish I was like rich and poo poo so I could have a weekly DnD game, but alas I am a poor and I have no friends/time so I just read the 2nd and 3rd edition rule books. They make good toilet/bed time reading.

I also got a whole poo poo load of Pathfinder core books and mods from a humble bundle earlier this year, I should break those open one day.

e: Even though I haven't played in 15 years I still think up campaign ideas all of the time. If I ever have kids I will probably force them to play like a bad parent.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 7, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I wish I was like rich and poo poo so I could have a weekly DnD game, but alas I am a poor and I have no friends/time so I just read the 2nd and 3rd edition rule books. They make good toilet/bed time reading.

I also got a whole poo poo load of Pathfinder core books and mods from a humble bundle earlier this year, I should break those open one day.

e: Even though I haven't played in 15 years I still think up campaign ideas all of the time. If I ever have kids I will probably force them to play like a bad parent.

If physically playing D&D is a problem, you might want to look into Roll20.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

VR is pretty fun and neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As a big fan of pink eye, I agree

• Locked thread