Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

After the fun of Fourze, I'm super looking forward to following Ex-Aid in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Some Numbers posted:

Dr. Warren Statesman. :colbert:
:hf:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Egh. Well, Ghost was like a dry fart. Ex-aid's suit looks awful but I'm ready to give it a shot.

More importantly, WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT BYCLOSSER SUBS?! goddamnit now I have to sit for days waiting for the older ones to seed/download.

Any other old, awesome Toku we should know about? You guys know that Solbrain is being done, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally watched the first episode of Ex-Aid, not bad though it sort of reminded me of Drive in some ways. The suit designs are still going to take some getting used to but overall a pretty good start. I love the theme song though and am looking forward to listening to the full version when it eventually comes out.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 4, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Ex-Aid seems neat, I'm assuming a few episodes in the Level 1 form will be like Armored form from Kabuto and they'll just completely skip it when he transforms.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I didn't have any issue with the translation, but I've always thought a translation should be fit to it's audience. If you're targeting someone who wants to learn Japanese, a whole bunch of definitions and cultural lectures in the margins of the picture is fine. However, most audiences don't want to actually learn Japanese. Likewise, if you're producing a cable network show for American children who will assume the cast is American, then characters talking about hamburgers instead of gyoza is fine, etc.

The only thing that bothered me about this episode is the foley department. Jesus the sounds were ear grating. First there was the sound the lovely meatball monster was making which was the worst, and then the sounds our hero made when he was striking things with his... hammer doodad?

The CGI was at times so corny as to be a step back from the ten year old sentai that I'm used to, but I figure it was likely intentional. Anyway, the finisher made me laugh out loud so I'm down for more, just hoping the sound guys will not play irritating sounds over and over once the newness wears off.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ex-Aid was pretty raid.

I like that the goofy as poo poo costume actually makes more sense in context of the show.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ex-Aid seems neat, I'm assuming a few episodes in the Level 1 form will be like Armored form from Kabuto and they'll just completely skip it when he transforms.

Hopefully it won't have the bit later on when Kabuto tried to convince the audience that Masked Form was worth using (despite Clock Up being so powerful none of the Masked forms other than Gatack's with the cannons was worth it) and awkwardly a few times has them use Put On to go back into Masked Form.

It says something that when Tendon is trying to lose in an episode he stays in Masked Form and immediately goes to Rider when he actually starts trying.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

gourdcaptain posted:

Hopefully it won't have the bit later on when Kabuto tried to convince the audience that Masked Form was worth using (despite Clock Up being so powerful none of the Masked forms other than Gatack's with the cannons was worth it) and awkwardly a few times has them use Put On to go back into Masked Form.

It says something that when Tendon is trying to lose in an episode he stays in Masked Form and immediately goes to Rider when he actually starts trying.

One time he used Put On to parry an attack, which was cool. But yeah, Kabuto's suit gimmick was kind of a waste, especially since Kabuto specifically had a hyper form that only worked with Rider Form.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

One time he used Put On to parry an attack, which was cool. But yeah, Kabuto's suit gimmick was kind of a waste, especially since Kabuto specifically had a hyper form that only worked with Rider Form.

Especially since Hyper Clock Up is "basically win everything if he'd actually remember to use it most of the time except for the one guy with better timestop, and he died in a stupid way anyway."
I just finished a Kabuto rewatch with the new YoY set, and that show is a glorious mess.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I wanted to like Kabuto so much. :saddowns:

TheBee still has my favorite toku costume ever, though.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

I wanted to like Kabuto so much. :saddowns:

TheBee still has my favorite toku costume ever, though.

TheBee suit is great. It's just that it has an interesting and likeable guy in it for three episodes (Yagaruma), my personal favorite Kabuto character for two (Kagami), then discount incompetent Kusaka for twenty-odd (Kageyama) and then he and Yagaruma quit to become crazy leather-wearing hoboes. Seriously, if anyone has any idea what the production was thinking with the Hopper Brothers, I'd love to know it. They're amusing to me, but in a combination of sheer disbelief, absurdity, and so bad it's goodness, and they have actively nothing to do with the plot.

Also, I love that ZECT never manages to get another TheBee after Kageyama drops it. I guess nobody wanted to deal with the inexplicable full chest Bee tattoo. (My favorite moment of sheer absurdity in Kabuto is Kagami's dad explaining the Red Shoes System while melodramatically dancing. And then it amounts to nothing with the villains disabling it offscreen before its brief mention in the pentultimate episode after all the melodrama they spent on establishing it.)

Favorite goofy So-Bad-It's-Good Rider series is still Agito, though (well, the G3 and Gills parts of Agito are legit good, but the villains are so gloriously bizarre and occasionally nonsensical and Shouichi so disconnected from the plot most of the time). Plus, it has Project G4, with the crazy military commander who tells orphans they don't deserve normal lives, built a suit that kills its user after like fifteen minutes, and keeps all the frozen corpses of the previous users on display at her base (which must do wonders for morale.)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

gourdcaptain posted:

TheBee suit is great. It's just that it has an interesting and likeable guy in it for three episodes (Yagaruma), my personal favorite Kabuto character for two (Kagami), then discount incompetent Kusaka for twenty-odd (Kageyama) and then he and Yagaruma quit to become crazy leather-wearing hoboes. Seriously, if anyone has any idea what the production was thinking with the Hopper Brothers, I'd love to know it. They're amusing to me, but in a combination of sheer disbelief, absurdity, and so bad it's goodness, and they have actively nothing to do with the plot.

Also, I love that ZECT never manages to get another TheBee after Kageyama drops it. I guess nobody wanted to deal with the inexplicable full chest Bee tattoo. (My favorite moment of sheer absurdity in Kabuto is Kagami's dad explaining the Red Shoes System while melodramatically dancing. And then it amounts to nothing with the villains disabling it offscreen before its brief mention in the pentultimate episode after all the melodrama they spent on establishing it.)

Favorite goofy So-Bad-It's-Good Rider series is still Agito, though (well, the G3 and Gills parts of Agito are legit good, but the villains are so gloriously bizarre and occasionally nonsensical and Shouichi so disconnected from the plot most of the time). Plus, it has Project G4, with the crazy military commander who tells orphans they don't deserve normal lives, built a suit that kills its user after like fifteen minutes, and keeps all the frozen corpses of the previous users on display at her base (which must do wonders for morale.)

I got the impression that TheBee infects its user with nanomachines for "reasons", but then you would think that all of the other Zectors would be doing that, too. I don't think Tendou ever had a bitchin Kabuto back tattoo.

There was a lot of stuff in Kabuto that makes me think that the writers were just kind of tossing ideas at a wall, and then forgetting that they were there when they ran out of space and moved to a different wall. It's kind of unforgivable in a series that's guaranteed to be 52 episodes or less, of which maybe 30 will be important :v:

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I got the impression that TheBee infects its user with nanomachines for "reasons", but then you would think that all of the other Zectors would be doing that, too. I don't think Tendou ever had a bitchin Kabuto back tattoo.

There was a lot of stuff in Kabuto that makes me think that the writers were just kind of tossing ideas at a wall, and then forgetting that they were there when they ran out of space and moved to a different wall. It's kind of unforgivable in a series that's guaranteed to be 52 episodes or less, of which maybe 30 will be important :v:

Wait, those are supposed to be nanomachines? All I remember is Kagami talking about "the mark" of TheBee when it occured to him.

Kabuto's writing in general feels like Shoji Yonemura (the head writer) trying to be Toshiki Inoue in some places (especially Faiz) and doing it worse. This is hilarious given Inoue, as much as I'm the one weirdo who really likes Faiz and Kiva, just completely bleeds out on coherence around episode 40 in Faiz. Like, the entire deal with Tsurugi, as much as I love Tsurugi, is a bunch of remixed elements from Faiz. In general, all the bits with "are worms people too and deserve to live" is the Orphenoch stuff from Faiz only handled more incoherently, not helped by Tendo's sheer inability to generalize how he reacts to Hiyori to other Worm.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Kabuto, God Speed Love could have been a good prolouge to the series if they hadn't retconned how Tendou got the belt later on. In fact, earlier episodes seem to point twords it originally being canon such as one scene early on where Kagami asks Tendou where he got his powers and he points to the sun (and if you've seen the show, you know what Tendou commonly associates that with) also at the beginning of the series we see Hiyori drawing a figure that looks very similliar to Hyper Kabuto. Not sure why they decided to change this later on.

Wasn't really a fan of the whole Dark Kabuto arc either, it was basically like Ghost's arc with the second Makoto (that is, poorly handled and barely explained) albeit to a slightly lesser degree.

Kabuto is a decent series but I can't exactly call it one of my favorites (It's not the worst Rider series I've seen though, that particular category still belongs to Hibiki though I did like the movie). Tendou's whole "Mr. Perfect" thing is grating at first but he eventually grows on you (Kagami is still the true protagonist though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 4, 2016

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I love the first thirty episodes of Hibiki. Then we hit the retool and my friend I was watching it with and I immediately dropped the series after episode 31.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

I love the first thirty episodes of Hibiki. Then we hit the retool and my friend I was watching it with and I immediately dropped the series after episode 31.

My main problem with the show is that aside from Asamu's development (which also got changed thanks to the retool), nothing that happens in Hibiki seems to matter by the end.

The villians aren't defeated or explained (hell, in the final episode it's revealed at the last minute that they were just puppets for someone else, nothing ever comes of this), we never really learn a whole lot about the Riders themselves (we don't even learn any of their real names outside of supplementary material) and what little personality they do have gets screwed up during the retool, it never feels like anything is ever really at stake (there's one episode later on that ends with a large scale invasion of the city by the Makamou, this is immediatly forgotten about in the next episode and is never mentioned again), and to be perfectly honest, this show might have even less of a coherant plot than Decade does (Speaking of which, the alternate Hibiki universe in that show is one of the few that I thought was actually better than the real one).

Honestly if you're going to watch Hibiki I'd recommend doing it this way: Watch the first 30 episodes, watch the movie, then stop and pretend the rest doesn't exist. You'll probably enjoy it a lot more that way. Maybe it would have ended up being a better show if the writers had been allowed to carry their original vision through to the end but alas we'll never know now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 5, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is there a way to watch Hibiki that's not TV Nihon?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Is there a way to watch Hibiki that's not TV Nihon?

Not as far as I'm aware unless some other group picked it up recently.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
https://metronomesubs.wordpress.com/ is up to 16 on Hibiki but has been quiet for a bit.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I think I read somewhere that Hibiki didn't start development as Kamen Rider. This was years ago when I was playing catch up to watch Decade so who knows.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm pretty sure it's Ryuki that was Metal Heros at first, Hibiki was just a really weird take on rider.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mateo360 posted:

I think I read somewhere that Hibiki didn't start development as Kamen Rider. This was years ago when I was playing catch up to watch Decade so who knows.

Correct. Hibiki's original concept was Ongeki HIbiki or something like that, an Ishinomori series separate from the Kamen Rider franchise. When it was made (far after Ishinomori's death, of course), it was made into a Kamen RIder because of brand popularity.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Correct. Hibiki's original concept was Ongeki HIbiki or something like that, an Ishinomori series separate from the Kamen Rider franchise. When it was made (far after Ishinomori's death, of course), it was made into a Kamen RIder because of brand popularity.

oh good, so I'm not crazy then.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
So they're totally making a real version of that mighty game, right? its got that exact same low resolution look as what you get when you capture and blow up 3DS footage.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm pretty sure it's Ryuki that was Metal Heros at first, Hibiki was just a really weird take on rider.

That's a really unconfirmed rumor on Ryuki, but the problem with any of this stuff from before the recent era is that nothing's translated to English on the production history side barring snippets here and there of hearsay a lot of the time.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Skeep posted:

So they're totally making a real version of that mighty game, right? its got that exact same low resolution look as what you get when you capture and blow up 3DS footage.

It's a bonus download for Japanese fans who buy the new Kamen Rider 3DS game.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
YOU GUYS! Such awesome great news today for fans of old Toku, (like me.)

Not only is Byclosser done, and Weaboo Shogun is making some serious headway on Solbrain, but Millionfold has already almost finished Gavan, and announced their next series! Go to the site now, I won't spoil it here but this is SUPER EXCITING!!!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

YOU GUYS! Such awesome great news today for fans of old Toku, (like me.)

Not only is Byclosser done, and Weaboo Shogun is making some serious headway on Solbrain, but Millionfold has already almost finished Gavan, and announced their next series! Go to the site now, I won't spoil it here but this is SUPER EXCITING!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I've wanted to see his series for years, even bought the HK subs on DVD but the quality was quite literally unwatchable

More people need to be excited about this

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Old toku is the best Toku. Forget all this Zyuoger and Exaid stuff, with their pixels and minecrafts and all that stuff, gimme old lovely practical effects and Hiroshi Miyauchi in every possible role!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Old toku is the best Toku. Forget all this Zyuoger and Exaid stuff, with their pixels and minecrafts and all that stuff, gimme old lovely practical effects and Hiroshi Miyauchi in every possible role!

Never!! I won't deny how good the old stuff is, but I can't say enough good things about Zyuohger. I love that bunch of dorks. Misao started off a bit annoying but I'm really loving how he's developing, the new episode was really funny.

EDIT: I also watched episode 1 of Ex-Aid! It definitely had its issues- I'll echo the bad meatball CGI monster, I don't think "Level-1" is necessary at all and I don't care for the suit or what they do with it, and the early forced slapstick + Asuna's costume change fell flat and was grating respectively. Outside those negatives, I really liked it! Emu has potential and some personality, and ExAid has style and some really great effects. Can't wait to see how they work the multiple riders angle and what the real deal is with the Bugsters.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 6, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Watch this before Youtube deletes it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJCnFgFeGpg

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Love the old 80s spy music for the first... decade?

Also reminds me of the toku Spiderman.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Rewatching Go Busters at the moment, and it's just occurred to me how weird it is that Li-oh is introduced without an accompanying ranger/buster. I understand ratings were tanking for the show, so it seems a bit weird they didn't try to shake up the cast a bit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Go-Busters Returns attempts to rectify that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Twelve Elves posted:

Rewatching Go Busters at the moment, and it's just occurred to me how weird it is that Li-oh is introduced without an accompanying ranger/buster. I understand ratings were tanking for the show, so it seems a bit weird they didn't try to shake up the cast a bit.

The issue was toy sales. Unless something changed in the last few years, ratings have been on a steady decline and no show has been able to significantly buck that trend.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Motto posted:

The issue was toy sales. Unless something changed in the last few years, ratings have been on a steady decline and no show has been able to significantly buck that trend.

That's cause they keep the Superhero Time block at the same time a Pokemon block is on at another channel, which is the definition of stupidity

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

To be entirely fair, that is at least partially because the birthrate and the size of the target audience has also been shrinking.

What would normally be a steady hold would now require an increase.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just watched Liveman 31.

:psyduck:

I guess drugs were really strong in the 80s, huh? I've seen a couple episodes that feel like they were written during a coke binge ("let's put a guy in a giant bug suit and have him die making him take a heroic suicidal rescue leap!"); but this time they were snorting the rails off some Christian missionary's anti-abortion propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Battride War Genesis trip report: I think I'm about halfway through, though I could be wrong. I just got to the part where you fight Shadow Moon, he teleports away, all the secondary riders show up, and you go back in time to the 1970s.

Ghost is kinda garbo (like his show). Presumably a casualty of the series barely being halfway through its run when the game came out. He plays like a lovely Musou character, with absolutely no form changes aside from the standard super/ultimate forms. To top it off, his finishing move lasts forever and causes you to constantly move forwards (while being practically unable to turn), so that you're likely to attack past whatever you're targeting and end up stuck against a wall/in a corner. Toucon Boost isn't half bad though, probably due to having an infinitely better finisher.

Kuuga was loving broken in the first game when it came to killing mooks en masse (Rising Pegasus 4 lyfe) and Den-O Liner Form was also broken, but less so. The newest entry to Team Mook-Murderers is Drive Type Wild, whose Triangle + Circle special is Liner Form's Triangle + Circle on steroids, causing him to spin around with the Steering Sword extended for what seems like an eternity and letting him rack up tons of kills because he constantly moves forwards (and can turn on a dime, unlike Ghost's finisher) while using it.

I think Chaser is my favorite of the DLC characters. His attacks are just so meaty and satisfying, and the fact that you actually have to wait for the Signal Axe to light up green like in the show before you can use his Triangle + Circle special is hilarious. I kind of wish that Super Machine Chaser was his actual super form instead of just showing up for his finisher but oh well.

• Locked thread