Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Combat Pretzel posted:

First thing you'll be doing on a high refresh rate monitor is just moving windows on your desktop around for a couple of minutes.

When I first overclocked my 60 hz monitor to 76 hz this is all I did for a while. Can't imagine what 144 hz is like :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AEMINAL posted:

When I first overclocked my 60 hz monitor to 76 hz this is all I did for a while. Can't imagine what 144 hz is like :stonk:

It's a blessing and a curse. Holy gently caress is it ever smooth, but once you use a 144 Hz monitor any 60 Hz monitor is going to feel like it has the input lag of a cheap mid-2000s LCD TV.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Picked this bad boy out of the trash at work today. AFIK, world's only dual socket 1366, x16, x8, x8, triple channel ECC DDR3 microATX mobo, complete with EC5549s and 24GB of RAM.

Riser card is not our design, but was also in a "to recycle" chassis. This son' bitch gets HOT in a 2u even with the 3, 102CFM chassis fans screaming.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

It's a blessing and a curse. Holy gently caress is it ever smooth, but once you use a 144 Hz monitor any 60 Hz monitor is going to feel like it has the input lag of a cheap mid-2000s LCD TV.

That good? drat I never knew......... No 4K yet right?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

No 4k 144Hz monitors yet, but apparently ASUS has one in the works: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/06/asus-will-apparently-have-the-worlds-first-144hz-4k-monitor/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

the issue is cable bandwidth, neither dp nor hdmi can support the required lossless bandwidth

4k144 @ 8bpp needs 36Gbps, 10bpp needs 43Gbps

good luck!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

the issue is cable bandwidth, neither dp nor hdmi can support the required lossless bandwidth

DP 1.3 can do 4k@120Hz, at least, and in theory DP 1.4 should be able to do more than that if the compression works the way they claim. But yeah, not entirely sure how ASUS plans to get 4k@144Hz out of DP 1.3 like they claim in the above link. :iiam:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

DrDork posted:

DP 1.3 can do 4k@120Hz, at least, and in theory DP 1.4 should be able to do more than that if the compression works the way they claim. But yeah, not entirely sure how ASUS plans to get 4k@144Hz out of DP 1.3 like they claim in the above link. :iiam:

Wouldn't they just double DP it (heh) like they did with the first 4K screens which were just 2 2K screens stitched together?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Wouldn't they just double DP it (heh) like they did with the first 4K screens which were just 2 2K screens stitched together?

That would probably be possible, but is something best avoided if there's a ways to do so. Knocking it down to 120Hz to keep it in spec would seem a saner option, but who knows.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Single panel MST is a hack and only sort of works, and apps that assume stupid things will break in strange ways

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I've got a 6yo i5-760, and it looks like there aren't a lot of great replacements for my setup.

I'm generally reluctant to get into OC, but in particular because longevity is clearly a very important factor for my CPU, so what are my options realistically? It looks like the new netcode update for Overwatch means my CPU can't keep up, no matter which setting I'm using, which sucks.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

ufarn posted:

I've got a 6yo i5-760, and it looks like there aren't a lot of great replacements for my setup.

I'm generally reluctant to get into OC, but in particular because longevity is clearly a very important factor for my CPU, so what are my options realistically? It looks like the new netcode update for Overwatch means my CPU can't keep up, no matter which setting I'm using, which sucks.

i was in your seat and went to a 6600K, got massive FPS increase with a GTX 960. upgraded to a 1070 now though and couldn't be happier

even a modern i3 would probably be way better than a 760

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ufarn posted:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/qsjGkT

-You don't care about overclocking, so I went with a Xeon and H97.
-Haswell Xeons work on consumer boards because Intel didn't think you should have to pay 100 dollars for hyperthreading back then.
-You should still be able to use your old RAM.
-I suggest changing over your PSU as well -- especially if it's five or so years old. I suggest an EVGA G2, or GS if that's 20% cheaper than the equivalent G2 (which I just chose due to the rebate)

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 10, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

i was in your seat and went to a 6600K, got massive FPS increase with a GTX 960. upgraded to a 1070 now though and couldn't be happier

even a modern i3 would probably be way better than a 760
Yeah, it's just that the list of LGA1156-compatible CPUs is pretty limited, and if I start changing mobos, everything has to be replaced.

Maybe I'll just find a way to get some of the things I want in a new computer up front and just throw in the new sticks of RAM. But the 7XXXK isn't out yet, so that's not even viable for me.

As Anime Schoolgirl implies, I'm not gonna avoid replacing a bunch of stuff by the look of it.

Didn't think about the PSU, will have to take that into consideration in the future as well.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

ufarn posted:

Yeah, it's just that the list of LGA1156-compatible CPUs is pretty limited, and if I start changing mobos, everything has to be replaced.

Maybe I'll just find a way to get some of the things I want in a new computer up front and just throw in the new sticks of RAM. But the 7XXXK isn't out yet, so that's not even viable for me.

As Anime Schoolgirl implies, I'm not gonna avoid replacing a bunch of stuff by the look of it.

Didn't think about the PSU, will have to take that into consideration in the future as well.

def get a new PSU, my old 760 would crash when overclocked due to the PSU, when i replaced it i got some pretty good overclocks and it was 100% stable again

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

ufarn posted:

I have that same CPU. What new Overwatch netcode are you referring to? The 60 tic rate? I was just playing as early as yesterday with no issues at all. 1440p, high/ultra settings, 60 min fps. I don't think your CPU is a bottleneck at all, if anything, it is your video card.

Lolcano Eruption fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 10, 2016

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a Haswell i5-4570 (3.6GHz). What's the over/under on when Haswell chips are likely to need replacement? It's no 4.5GHz i7k, but from the looks of the roadmaps it seems to be on par for what we'll have available in quite a few years.

And yes, I should have gotten a k-chip. I didn't, c'est la vie.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
No K-chip? Then if you're not blasting it at 100% workload 24/7/365 days a year you'll probably just get bored of having the processor long, long before it ever even shows any sign of problems. Unless you're talking about when it will start to "feel" slow for you and your use cases? You'll have to elaborate.

fake edit: do you need it to play games, and if so, what kinds

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The only two things I've found overclocking useful for is cutting edge emulation and video encoding, though the latter would scale better with more cores anyway.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

No K-chip? Then if you're not blasting it at 100% workload 24/7/365 days a year you'll probably just get bored of having the processor long, long before it ever even shows any sign of problems. Unless you're talking about when it will start to "feel" slow for you and your use cases? You'll have to elaborate.

fake edit: do you need it to play games, and if so, what kinds

Purely a thought exercise. I was more wondering of the average "lifespan" we can expect from more recent generations if the Intel roadmap is to be believed. Given their focus on efficiency over performance right now. As for use case I guess it'd be games as the heaviest use? I don't even have a good GPU (Still rocking a 660 aw yeah) so I don't really play games. In all my use cases (Video watching, audio production, poo poo like that) I'm not even remotely near "man, I wish my computer was faster". So I was wondering what people were thinking.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Probably going to be a while. I play games, by way of example, Forza Horizon 3 and DOOM (the new one); on a six and a half year old i5-750. Admittedly it does have a mild over clock to 3.36, but with a new GeForce 1060 in it I can play those games at 1440p and get perfectly playable frame rates. In a year or two I'll probably have to move on, but I would expect any decent processor to last you at least 6 years right now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

syntaxfunction posted:

I have a Haswell i5-4570 (3.6GHz). What's the over/under on when Haswell chips are likely to need replacement? It's no 4.5GHz i7k, but from the looks of the roadmaps it seems to be on par for what we'll have available in quite a few years.

I'm planning to ride this 2500K for a decade, and your chip should be about the same speed as a 4.2GHz 2500K. Unless anything unexpected happens like X-Point memory rolling out really fast and doing more than expected, just coast.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Your best bet would probably be to pick up some aftermarket coolers. I think Noctua makes server sinks that would fit that socket design. Those dinky OEM sinks are just really not enough.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 12, 2016

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

syntaxfunction posted:

I just went from a 4570 to a 6700k a few months ago. Saw my fps minimums jump up a good deal in witcher 3 and fallout 4 using a AMD Fury.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

SlayVus posted:

Your best bet would probably be to pick up some aftermarket coolers. I think Noctua makes server sinks that would fit that socket design. Those dinky OEM sinks are just really not enough.

Agreed, the stock sinks are loud as all gently caress. Our new OEM supplier on our fully in-house form factor is dynatron, they have a socket2011 low-profile blower that works really well, I need to see if our rep can ship me some 1366 "samples" mwuhahaha.

edit of the edit: eh, this info is too fresh to be that specific about, Intel prob wouldn't like it

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 13, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SuperDucky posted:

Agreed, the stock sinks are loud as all gently caress. Our new OEM supplier on our fully in-house form factor is dynatron, they have a socket2011 low-profile blower that works really well, I need to see if our rep can ship me some 1366 "samples" mwuhahaha.

edit of the edit: eh, this info is too fresh to be that specific about, Intel prob wouldn't like it

I recently put a couple of Hyper 212 EVO coolers on a dual socket 1366 board. The support on the back of the motherboard was permanently affixed (at least the LGA retention bracket was also secured to it so it'd have been really hard to remove and replace both) so I used some M3 10mm standoffs instead of the hyper 212's stock standoffs to get them mounted. The 212 is big but I moved the motherboard from a 1U rackmount case to an ATX case so it worked for my situation.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Rexxed posted:

I recently put a couple of Hyper 212 EVO coolers on a dual socket 1366 board. The support on the back of the motherboard was permanently affixed (at least the LGA retention bracket was also secured to it so it'd have been really hard to remove and replace both) so I used some M3 10mm standoffs instead of the hyper 212's stock standoffs to get them mounted. The 212 is big but I moved the motherboard from a 1U rackmount case to an ATX case so it worked for my situation.

Good to know, that's the same way the retainers are on mine as well. I'll have to stick with a blower style cooler, though, this board is staying in that 2U because of the 8, 3.5" hot-swaps.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm holding off rebuilding a TV PC until Kaby Lake is available (10-bit H265). Are there any Kaby Lake laptop chips embedded on a mITX motherboard or am I going to have to wait until Intel gets the desktop chips out the door?

Shame Goldmont shipped with the Skylake iGPU, passive would have been nice.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm holding off rebuilding a TV PC until Kaby Lake is available (10-bit H265). Are there any Kaby Lake laptop chips embedded on a mITX motherboard or am I going to have to wait until Intel gets the desktop chips out the door?

Shame Goldmont shipped with the Skylake iGPU, passive would have been nice.

Depending on your needs, the updated Intel NUC or Gigabyte BRIX or similar might do you just fine. Those are smaller than mITX with Kaby Lake laptop chips.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

Depending on your needs, the updated Intel NUC or Gigabyte BRIX or similar might do you just fine. Those are smaller than mITX with Kaby Lake laptop chips.

I actually had my eye on the Kaby Lake BRIX units but they're not on the market yet.

I've thought about it pretty seriously but this is for a cabin without internet and my parents have a huge library of optical media (probably around a thousand DVDs of stuff they've recorded off the air and compressed to DIVX, plus a few dozen BluRays too) so I can't give up on optical media. Right now they have a 5.25" drive in a CM Elite 120, I'd have to at least toss it into an enclosure. It's some space savings but not huge if I still have to have a drive sitting around.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually had my eye on the Kaby Lake BRIX units but they're not on the market yet.

I've thought about it pretty seriously but this is for a cabin without internet and my parents have a huge library of optical media (probably around a thousand DVDs of stuff they've recorded off the air and compressed to DIVX, plus a few dozen BluRays too) so I can't give up on optical media. Right now they have a 5.25" drive in a CM Elite 120, I'd have to at least toss it into an enclosure. It's some space savings but not huge if I still have to have a drive sitting around.

Found a NUC with an i3 for $260, you can then grab a slot loading compact Blu-ray external for $120, figure another $100 for an SSD, finally $40 for ram. You'd have a really small PC and Blu-ray player. I believe the NUC would be small enough to sit on top of external.

The 5.25" Blu-ray though isn't really that big. It would definitely be smaller than the elite 120.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 14, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is a very interesting scenario, but it's also worth noting that a thousand DVDs plus a few dozen blu-rays can fit in a single RAID 1 pair of 8TB drives.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

In an alternate choice. You could pick up a Shield TV Pro and load Plex + all the Optical rips you want onto it as well. It handles all the HDR/4K stuff on TV's right now too. The Onboard 500G + MicroSD + USB 3.0 storage options make it quite small yet versatile for what it is. Just as another option with Voice Navigation as well with the remote.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Twerk from Home posted:

This is a very interesting scenario, but it's also worth noting that a thousand DVDs plus a few dozen blu-rays can fit in a single RAID 1 pair of 8TB drives.

I think this is a perfect encapsulation of this website.

I don't think many people are going to want to rip thousands of DVDs and a few blu-rays when a $20 DVD player or $120 blu ray player would work far better.

Paul MaudDib posted:

if you just care about playing DVDs and Blu Rays and don't need anything else, consider getting a cheap playstation 3. Cheapest, and lord knows the simplest, option.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

The Iron Rose posted:

if you just care about playing DVDs and Blu Rays and don't need anything else, consider getting a cheap playstation 3. Cheapest, and lord knows the simplest, option.

Just remember that the super slim's drive is loud as hell.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

How cheap are the cheap PS3s you're thinking of? Cause BD players on Amazon start around $60, or $30-40 refurbished.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You can get working PS3 Slim's (not the last crappy version) for around $50-80 depending on seller locally.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't think many people are going to want to rip thousands of DVDs and a few blu-rays when a $20 DVD player or $120 blu ray player would work far better.
I think most people have been throwing away physical media in favor of streaming subscriptions with the exception of collector editions. I think the only people I know of that are buying physical media are all over the age of 50 (still a large group of consumers with disposable income, but they're declining by definition) or hipsters specifically for LPs. Otherwise, people with kids may be using digital downloads instead.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We live in a rural area with a saturated 4G tower, so sometimes we don't get enough bandwidth for streaming services and we need something to fall back on. So even with kids, we do still buy physical media, but we're a lot more choosy than we were even a couple of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

necrobobsledder posted:

I think most people have been throwing away physical media in favor of streaming subscriptions with the exception of collector editions. I think the only people I know of that are buying physical media are all over the age of 50 (still a large group of consumers with disposable income, but they're declining by definition) or hipsters specifically for LPs. Otherwise, people with kids may be using digital downloads instead.

Earlier this year I decided to finally finish watching Buffy. I watched few eps on Netflix and then I decided to compare the picture quality to the DVD collection I also owned. And the DVDs had superior quality and 16:9 widescreen format compared to the dim and dark 4:3 format on Netlix, probably close in quality to the original TV broadcasts. Supposedly Joss Whedon considers that the correct and true way to watch Buffy, but I'll have none of that.