Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh. Well I look like an idiot. But anyways, this solves that issue.

It's not super apparent anyway. And I hate that the left and right columns just sit on top of each other. Something on the top suddenly becomes halfway down in portrait mode. It's stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

SaturdayKnight posted:

It's not super apparent anyway. And I hate that the left and right columns just sit on top of each other. Something on the top suddenly becomes halfway down in portrait mode. It's stupid.

Agreed. I'd frankly prefer an option to just have a centered column of widgets, so that there's no difference between portrait and landscape mode.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Nephew dropped his iPad and the screen is like this. It's out of warranty so wondering what my options are outside of $200 fruit store replacement. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The LCD is broken. It needs to be replaced, so whichever place sells LCD repairs for the cheapest.

Outside of that, you could attempt it yourself, but it's not easy at all and it's likely you can break something else if you don't know how to manuever around.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does your nephew look like that now after your retaliation?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Just sell his organs and get a new iPad.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It seems to be $150 to replace the LCD outside of the Apple Store. Is the kid too old to harvest stem cells?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Make sure the place you got that quote from knows which iPad it is. I used to work in a repair shop and we would routinely get people calling saying they had an iPad 2 (for whatever reason) only to show up with an iPad Air or iPad 4th gen.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
My iPhone is away for repair and I use an iPhone-only banking app that doesn't work with the old iPhone 4 I'm using in the meantime. I've installed it on my iPad so it's this scaled version you get when an app isn't specifically for the iPad. I winder though: is there a way to make it the size of say, an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus? Even an iPhone 5S would be better because it looks like it's the size of an iPhone 4 right now.

Using an iPad Mini 2.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Back when iPads were new they only scaled the low-res assets rather than the retina assets for no apparent reason, so there was some jailbreak apps that would change that, but there's nothing official, no.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Which iPad is that? A 16gb Air is not much more than the screen replacement cost.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

rio posted:

Which iPad is that? A 16gb Air is not much more than the screen replacement cost.

Seriously, it's almost always a better value to buy a used iPad from Apple and sell your broken on on Ebay as is. People buy them up and fix them, and resell them, so for a few dollars more you can get a sort of new iPad with a new battery and everything.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks for the help. A kind gentleman who runs a mobile phone kiosk at the mall fixed it for $90. :canada:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Seriously, it's almost always a better value to buy a used iPad from Apple and sell your broken on on Ebay as is. People buy them up and fix them, and resell them, so for a few dollars more you can get a sort of new iPad with a new battery and everything.

You can buy used ones from Apple? Do you mean refurbished units?

Also can you take the kid to those blood plasma clinics?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
e: Problem solved.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 4, 2016

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Wait. Is there really no default calculator app on iPads?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dik-dik posted:

Wait. Is there really no default calculator app on iPads?

Really.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Also no weather and it's super retarded.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Great computer replacement (with no calculator).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If only there was a way to obtain more apps for the device.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

vikingstrike posted:

Yeah, but I pull up my iPhone calculator by swiping up on the control panel. I have to do something different for the iPad. That's not the way iOS is supposed to work.

And the reason why makes even less sense. They could have probably coded the original iOS calculator with higher resolution resources in a couple of hours. At this point it's just malicious. Like what happens when you hit HOME and END on a Mac.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

vikingstrike posted:

Yeah I really want a calculator with advertisements on it, that's what's missing from the calculator included in other devices.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009
You can do simple calculations in the search box on an iPad. It is still silly there is no real app built in, but Spotlight can handle simple things.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah I really want a calculator with advertisements on it, that's what's missing from the calculator included in other devices.

So buy Calcbot, which is really great.

http://tapbots.com/calcbot/

E: its free apparently?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've been using Digits for like 8 years.

Which means an iOS app is now in my top 5 for consistently used longest lived applications. Right up there with Photoshop, Word, and Excel.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Y'all really care about calculators, huh

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LmaoTheKid posted:

So buy Calcbot, which is really great.

http://tapbots.com/calcbot/

E: its free apparently?

I used the free version and honestly never seen what the paid one even adds. It doesn't even have ads and it has a much useful Apple Watch function.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
PCalc Lite also doesn't have ads, and can do RPN if you are interested in not doing calculations like a caveman.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jesus the stock iPad keyboard in 10.1 dev2 is an absolute mess! Can people in split screen view try having iMessage in the right window, adding an emoji and then trying to hit send while the emoji keyboard is still open? Mine won't send 90% of the time and I have to go back to QWERTY. I'm also getting LOADS of lockups where I can't hide the keyboard in landscape. I'd expect this from third party keyboards but how have they managed to gently caress up stock so badly ?!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So beta software is playing up? Weird.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I know, I know. It just seems weird that the old reliable stock keyboard could end up suffering.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

We all suffer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

Y'all really care about calculators, huh

How else am I going to tabulate my water intake?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Athletic Footjob posted:

So beta software is playing up? Weird.
I've actually seen the same issue on my stock 10.0.2 iPads a few times.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I'm just glad Google Maps finally updated to support retina resolutions on the big ipad. Looks great now.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Biodome posted:

I'm just glad Google Maps finally updated to support retina resolutions on the big ipad. Looks great now.

Well that is welcome news. I hope they update Inbox in that case. I love using it on my phone and a full res version on the big Pro would make my day.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

withak posted:

PCalc Lite also doesn't have ads, and can do RPN if you are interested in not doing calculations like a caveman.

Hey, screw you too, pal.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

flosofl posted:

How else am I going to tabulate my water intake?

Watereminder does it for you, why do you need a calculator app

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I haven't opened it for a while, but when did Inbox start supporting the large ipad pro? Was it this past update and just not listed in the patch notes, or was it an earlier one and I somehow missed it? Either way, thrilled to be able to use it on the iPad now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
My iPad is starting to run up against the planned obsolescence wall (some new stuff is incompatible but I'm on the current version of iOS) how big a difference is there between the Air 2 and the 9.7 inch Pro?