Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Isn't the 4s or the iPhone 5 still supported? What the gently caress

4S got five years of updates but didn't get iOS 10 last month

5 is still supported until at least next fall, which will also be five years

Apple has their poo poo together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

Are these gonna be awful phones or something? ASUS seems to have a wide variety of specs/storage available (SD enabled too) and even a 6.8 inch jorts ripping behemoth Ultra.

Zenfones are good and are totally worth a look.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Once Google starts managing their own SoC, there will be greater latitude here.

What are the odds of Google's first stab at their own SoC not ending in tears though?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

Zenfones are good and are totally worth a look.

Don't expect a speedy update. My mother in law's Zenfone 2 just got marshmallow in Sept. And expect bloatware but that's easily removed.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Taffer posted:

jesus christ that's unbelievable. A novice developer can hook into the camera API to do custom handling on both ios and android with very little effort.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did it that way so there would be considerably fewer image types they get back (Colorspace, format, etc.), as it would be handled consistently by the OS.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Does Android support having custom vibe patterns for different apps slash contacts? I've gotten kinda used to having one for emails, one for most texts, and one for certain people

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Desk Lamp posted:

What are the odds of Google's first stab at their own SoC not ending in tears though?

I'm pretty sure they could just use all "off the shelf" ARM components, basically a quad core or b.L reference design and have a pretty good start.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Desk Lamp posted:

Probably depends on whether or not they can steal/buy enough people with the know-how. Apparently most of Earth's ability to design good custom SoCs is locked within the ivory towers of a relatively scarce number of electrowizards.

Edit:

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm pretty sure they could just use all "off the shelf" ARM components, basically a quad core or b.L reference design and have a pretty good start.

They would still need to write drivers for those parts, which could end in satisfactory success, or not so much. With the added control of rolling their own custom cores on the processor, Google could push that success closer to a guarantee.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 7, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did it that way so there would be considerably fewer image types they get back (Colorspace, format, etc.), as it would be handled consistently by the OS.

On Android at least, you can always get back a bitmap which is just a raw image. You can do whatever the gently caress you want with on literally any android device including the very oldest ones that existed. There really is no excuse for that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

Isn't this what Qualcomm is already making?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
As long as performance is reasonable but they can support the silicon for as long as they want, it should be ok.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Endless Mike posted:

Isn't this what Qualcomm is already making?

Qualcomm designs their own custom cores for their flagship stuff i.e. Snapdragon 800/801, 805, 810, 820/821. You're partially correct that they do it for their mid-range stuff, and other designers like HiSilicon and MediaTek do it for their flagships.

They provide all the low-level software solutions for their horsepower (meaning it's not under customers' control like Apple has theirs locked in), as well as many peripheral devices for operating the other fiddly bits of your phone. Their sales reps like to slam the entire shopping list down and see what looks good

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 7, 2016

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

LastInLine posted:

My girlfriend who is an iOS user is always seeing my phone's notification light and saying "Goddamn I wish I had a notification light."

Settings>General>Accessibility>Hearing>LED Flash for Alerts.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Taffer posted:

On Android at least, you can always get back a bitmap which is just a raw image. You can do whatever the gently caress you want with on literally any android device including the very oldest ones that existed. There really is no excuse for that.

Eh, when you start to factor in all the different hardware like dual cameras, different supported resolutions, ability to not blow up having a big rear end bitmap in memory, etc, it was probably a lot faster for them to poo poo out a screenshot app than to spend money on doing it right.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

withoutclass posted:

Eh, when you start to factor in all the different hardware like dual cameras, different supported resolutions, ability to not blow up having a big rear end bitmap in memory, etc, it was probably a lot faster for them to poo poo out a screenshot app than to spend money on doing it right.

My very first week of Android development I built an app that can take pictures and works on every device. That's not a humblebrag, it's really really not hard at all.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Wait so the PIxel is only on Verizon? Was totally planning on getting one once my Nexus 5 eventually craps itself, despite not really being impressed with the specs or price point. Is there a clear winner in the world of phones that aren't locked to specific carriers?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

Wait so the PIxel is only on Verizon? Was totally planning on getting one once my Nexus 5 eventually craps itself, despite not really being impressed with the specs or price point. Is there a clear winner in the world of phones that aren't locked to specific carriers?

It isn't locked to Verizon, Verizon is just the only carrier selling it. Buy it from Google and use it wherever.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You can buy it unlocked from Google, and it'll work with any carrier. Will work on Fi as well.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Why would you buy it if you don't like the specs or price point?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Desk Lamp posted:

They've designed a processor before specifically for AI. Plus, Android exclusively uses ARM architecture, so it's not particularly difficult to design hardware around the architecture.

My hope is that Google's long term goals involve two major things:
1) Andromeda forces all manufacturers onto the same operating system. When manufacturers create new hardware they make drivers for it and it gets mainlined into the operating system. It makes pushing out security updates and upgrades to the operating system much, much easier. Plus, none of the companies have shown any kind of competency in making operating system level software. It still allows hardware companies to innovate too, they just need it mainlined into software.

2) Google starts manufacturing processors and offers longer lines of support. The fact is is Google can't guarantee support for their phones until Qualcomm shows they are willing and capable of supporting their chipsets for longer than 2 years. All the manufacturers are basically stuck with this issue because Qualcomm is really the only high end chipset manufacturer in the market (outside of Apple). Having a legitimate competitor in the market that supports their hardware for longer will force Qualcomm to do the same in order to keep customers.

It sounds really stupid to ask Google to act more like Apple, but the fact is is neither group has been shown to be competent at supporting the ecosystem and an external force has to push them in order to make Android/Andromeda a more competitive force.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh cool, I just saw the verizon thing on the google store and assumed the worst.

Tagichatn posted:

Why would you buy it if you don't like the specs or price point?

I don't really follow phones except for when I'm thinking about buying one. My Nexus 5 felt like a fantastic value when I bought it, but this feels less so. I still would prefer to buy straight from google, and not have a mediocre phone that won't get updates or comes loaded with bloatware. I still am cool with my current phone I'm just keeping an eye open because it's getting kind of old.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HolyDukeNukem posted:

They've designed a processor before specifically for AI. Plus, Android exclusively uses ARM architecture, so it's not particularly difficult to design hardware around the architecture.
Not only is that not true, it's not even true of Google hardware.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

HolyDukeNukem posted:

My hope is that Google's long term goals involve two major things:
1) Andromeda forces all manufacturers onto the same operating system. When manufacturers create new hardware they make drivers for it and it gets mainlined into the operating system. It makes pushing out security updates and upgrades to the operating system much, much easier. Plus, none of the companies have shown any kind of competency in making operating system level software. It still allows hardware companies to innovate too, they just need it mainlined into software.

2) Google starts manufacturing processors and offers longer lines of support. The fact is is Google can't guarantee support for their phones until Qualcomm shows they are willing and capable of supporting their chipsets for longer than 2 years. All the manufacturers are basically stuck with this issue because Qualcomm is really the only high end chipset manufacturer in the market (outside of Apple). Having a legitimate competitor in the market that supports their hardware for longer will force Qualcomm to do the same in order to keep customers.

It sounds really stupid to ask Google to act more like Apple, but the fact is is neither group has been shown to be competent at supporting the ecosystem and an external force has to push them in order to make Android/Andromeda a more competitive force.

Easier said than done. Even Intel has failed to break into the mobile market in any big way and processors are practically all they do.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HolyDukeNukem posted:

an external force has to push them in order to make Android/Andromeda a more competitive force.
Is Android suddenly not competitive?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Taffer posted:

Easier said than done. Even Intel has failed to break into the mobile market in any big way and processors are practically all they do.

Isn't that because they're trying to do it via x86 rather than ARM?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yes. X86 has an airplane full of baggage with it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Anyone with the Moto X Pure? How do you like it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

monster on a stick posted:

I think it's a fantastic phone attached to a boat anchor of a company that's dragging it down to the depths of hell.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I've heard people describe it as pure-fect.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's good but aging fast. Bought mine on release day last year and the lack of security updates, OS updates, and other poo poo is just plain getting old. Girlfriend has a 5X and every once in a while there's an emoji or two that she has but I don't so it's like

"What's for dinner"

"*box with an X in it sign for emoji not found*"

"Lol my old rear end phone doesn't know what you youngsters are saying anymore I just got a box with an X, do I need to get anything from the store otw home"

"Tacos, nope everything's in the fridge I stopped at hyvee over lunch and even got you a bottle of abt 12"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lazyhound posted:

Settings>General>Accessibility>Hearing>LED Flash for Alerts.

I think she likes the whole different colors for different apps & contacts rather than the "visible indicator of waiting message" i.e. the context provided.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

It's good but aging fast. Bought mine on release day last year and the lack of security updates, OS updates, and other poo poo is just plain getting old. Girlfriend has a 5X and every once in a while there's an emoji or two that she has but I don't so it's like

"What's for dinner"

"*box with an X in it sign for emoji not found*"

"Lol my old rear end phone doesn't know what you youngsters are saying anymore I just got a box with an X, do I need to get anything from the store otw home"

"Tacos, nope everything's in the fridge I stopped at hyvee over lunch and even got you a bottle of abt 12"

Aging already? It just came out last year. I get some phones do that but even the '13 Moto X was still respectable when I bought it in 2014. Is there some hostility towards reasonably priced Androids?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Aging already? It just came out last year. I get some phones do that but even the '13 Moto X was still respectable when I bought it in 2014. Is there some hostility towards reasonably priced Androids?

It's less the hardware and more the software, and that's squarely the fault of Motorola/Lenovo. Nothing against cheap phones as long as they get decent support, but Moto's gone silent on updating the thing and left it with the May security patch and 6.0. You're better off for the money just buying a 5X unless active display, gestures, and hands-free voice controls are worth being caught by the next Stagefright bug.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 7, 2016

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Motorola was not Lenovo in 2014.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Will the pixel make 5x prices go down when it releases? I might get one if they dip to 300aud new

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

underage at the vape shop posted:

Will the pixel make 5x prices go down when it releases? I might get one if they dip to 300aud new
Maybe there. Not in the US.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I got a work phone the other day and it's an iPhone SE and holy poo poo how can anyone use a phone that small. Granted I am coming from a Nexus 6 so the size difference is even more pronounced but it just feels like a child's toy.

Still a fairly nice phone, but so tiny.

(I get that some people want smaller phones and that's fine but the SE size is crazy)

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Oh cool, I just saw the verizon thing on the google store and assumed the worst.

I don't really follow phones except for when I'm thinking about buying one. My Nexus 5 felt like a fantastic value when I bought it, but this feels less so. I still would prefer to buy straight from google, and not have a mediocre phone that won't get updates or comes loaded with bloatware. I still am cool with my current phone I'm just keeping an eye open because it's getting kind of old.

I'm in the same boat with my nexus 5. I've been looking at the oneplus 3, it's $400, good specs, minimal OS fuckery and no carrier bloatware. It's an international phone though and doesn't work with every US carrier unfortunately. Not sure how fast their updates are, the oneplus 2 still doesn't have nougat but maybe soon?

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

myron cope posted:

I got a work phone the other day and it's an iPhone SE and holy poo poo how can anyone use a phone that small. Granted I am coming from a Nexus 6 so the size difference is even more pronounced but it just feels like a child's toy.

Still a fairly nice phone, but so tiny.

(I get that some people want smaller phones and that's fine but the SE size is crazy)

I love it, almost ended up with one but just could not pass on 5X deal from my carrier. Wish there was android as small and with awesome camera. I really like 5X camera but goddamn it's feakin huge and annoying to carry around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Tagichatn posted:

I'm in the same boat with my nexus 5. I've been looking at the oneplus 3, it's $400, good specs, minimal OS fuckery and no carrier bloatware. It's an international phone though and doesn't work with every US carrier unfortunately. Not sure how fast their updates are, the oneplus 2 still doesn't have nougat but maybe soon?

My little brother was telling me about those, but I saw that they had sort of shoddy customer service, whereas I was able to get this phone fixed for free pretty easily when it stopped charging.