Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Have people tried putting the wulfem bodies onto SW terminator legs? Im not a fan of speedos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

DJ Dizzy posted:

Have people tried putting the wulfem bodies onto SW terminator legs? Im not a fan of speedos.

They're not speedos, they're jorts, which makes them fukken rad as hell

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wilder heads on that AoS mini they gave away for free last month seems to a popular choice.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

EXTREMELY unconfirmed rumors of the Black Crusade and Terra.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Quick question. Can a Chaos Sorceror without a mark join a unit that does have a mark?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Technowolf posted:

Battle for Terra would be sick as all hell. Custodes getting into the conflict would be awesome, and that's really the only way to justify it in the fluff. And we have seen there are custodes models coming, so this actually sounds plausible?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Deptfordx posted:

Quick question. Can a Chaos Sorceror without a mark join a unit that does have a mark?

Unmarked Independent Characters can join any unit they please.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Technowolf posted:

Is the article claiming that SoB will be removed? I'm not quite sure from reading the article but I can't see that happening. GW might be a bit tone deaf sometimes, but I doubt they'd squat a predominantly female army when there are no other alternatives. Also it's a huge part of the background and lore and they appear in fiction a fair bit.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Milotic posted:

Is the article claiming that SoB will be removed? I'm not quite sure from reading the article but I can't see that happening. GW might be a bit tone deaf sometimes, but I doubt they'd squat a predominantly female army when there are no other alternatives. Also it's a huge part of the background and lore and they appear in fiction a fair bit.

Right, if anything the recent high quality and fan-service heavy releases like Genestealers make it more likely SoB will be renewed, not less.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Milotic posted:

Whoever wrote that seems to think that the Sisters of Silence overlap with the Sister of Battle in some way or would replace them. Don't see that happening given their background.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think that it is less that Sisters of Silence would replace SoBs, but that SoSs have been on Terra, likely assisting the Custodes in the protection of the Emperor. More of a retroactive history change, rather than a replacement. The writer seems to think that SoBs would be discontinued as a result, but the way GW is going, I would expect SoSs to just be added as either a new army or some sort of detachement. Worst case, SoBs get folded in.

Weren't the SoSs all psychic Nulls?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Considering the Amazon listings for the future Beast Arises books spoiled the SoS's getting wiped out, I doubt they're coming back outside of HH.

Honestly, rumours like these make me think someone saw the upcoming Burning of Prospero box with it's plastic Custodes and spun out a fanfiction for 5 seconds of Internet fame.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Apparently the Strike Force Ultima formation benefit is that everything Deep Strikes, auto arrives in turn 1, all infantry must be embarked on transports, and all non vehicle units gain +1 to the rate of fire for their weapons. So Rapid Fire 2/3 Bolters, Assault 3 Storm Bolters, etc....

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Does Heralds of Ruin kill team have updated entries for all factions or do you guys use the basic rules and standard GW codexes?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
It has updated entries.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

TKIY posted:

Apparently the Strike Force Ultima formation benefit is that everything Deep Strikes, auto arrives in turn 1, all infantry must be embarked on transports, and all non vehicle units gain +1 to the rate of fire for their weapons. So Rapid Fire 2/3 Bolters, Assault 3 Storm Bolters, etc....

Seems p balanced to me, I assume you pay extra points to take the forma-HAHAHAHAHA

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I never noticed the increased rate of fire. I love double shot flamers!

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

TKIY posted:

I am glad the Tough Fighters have another formation to add to their groaning banquet table of options to do the Toughest Fighting faster and better than everyone else. Christ, how do Ork players make it through a day without Broken Loose-style meltdowns when they see this stuff?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Quit playing and just model stuff to go "pew pew" with while quietly crying.

Probably exactly what they want.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There's other games with green people now. Most of us are probably playing one of those.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Snollygoster posted:

I am glad the Tough Fighters have another formation to add to their groaning banquet table of options to do the Toughest Fighting faster and better than everyone else. Christ, how do Ork players make it through a day without Broken Loose-style meltdowns when they see this stuff?
My favorite thing is that the red, green, and baby blue Tough Fighters can't use these formations.

Formations are bad and should be removed from the game.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Snollygoster posted:

Christ, how do Ork players make it through a day without Broken Loose-style meltdowns when they see this stuff?

Literally quit until a new codex is released. If the next one is poo poo just gonna sell my army.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

TKIY posted:

Suddenly feeling pretty good about not just jumping into the Daemon pit. I just wanna actually use these plaguebearers I've got sitting around GW c'monnnnn. :saddowns:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
They permanently gain +1 shot or they only gain it for the first turn?

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Pendent posted:

They permanently gain +1 shot or they only gain it for the first turn?

Just first turn from what I understand. Any idea on the math compared to twin-linked shots? DA deathwing gets twin-linked shooting first turn for comparable rules. But still, two flamer shots is wild.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Horace-Noah posted:

Just first turn from what I understand. Any idea on the math compared to twin-linked shots? DA deathwing gets twin-linked shooting first turn for comparable rules. But still, two flamer shots is wild.

This one's a no-brainer: +1 shot is significantly better than twin linked. With twin-linked shooting, your chance of getting a hit goes from 67% to 89%, whereas with two shots, your chance of getting one hit is 89%, and you have a 44% chance of getting two hits, whereas you have a 0% chance to do that with twin-linked shots.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

TheChirurgeon posted:

This one's a no-brainer: +1 shot is significantly better than twin linked. With twin-linked shooting, your chance of getting a hit goes from 67% to 89%, whereas with two shots, your chance of getting one hit is 89%, and you have a 44% chance of getting two hits, whereas you have a 0% chance to do that with twin-linked shots.

as a kicker it's much much easier to get twin-linked from a buff or psychic power than to get another shot. extra shots are pretty rare in this game

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

If a unit that inherently has rending attacks with a weapon that does not(like say, a keeper of secrets daemon), does the weapon have rending as well? Or does the unit only have rending if they use their base attacks w/out weapon.

I just ordered a KoS as I slowly get back into hobby and wanna make sure I am not a dirty cheater!

*edit*

While I am asking, say this weapon is ap3, does the smash bonus from being a monstrous creature overwrite it or is it stuck at ap3?

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 7, 2016

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think Horace meant is two shots twin-linked or 3 shots better.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Ignite Memories posted:

There's other games with green people now. Most of us are probably playing one of those.
Our resident Ork player took up the Morat in Infinity. Sure, they're red instead of green, but they're still about a subtle as a brick to the face.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ilor posted:

Our resident Ork player took up the Morat in Infinity. Sure, they're red instead of green, but they're still about a subtle as a brick to the face.

< Malifaux Gremlins

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Evil Canadian posted:

If a unit that inherently has rending attacks with a weapon that does not(like say, a keeper of secrets daemon), does the weapon have rending as well? Or does the unit only have rending if they use their base attacks w/out weapon.

I just ordered a KoS as I slowly get back into hobby and wanna make sure I am not a dirty cheater!

*edit*

While I am asking, say this weapon is ap3, does the smash bonus from being a monstrous creature overwrite it or is it stuck at ap3?

If the model has the rending special rule then all attacks with any weapon gain the benefit:

quote:

If a model has the Rending special rule, or is attacking with a Melee weapon that has the Rending special rule, there is a chance that his close combat attacks will strike a critical blow. For each To Wound roll of a 6, the target automatically suffers a Wound, regardless of its Toughness. These Wounds are resolved at AP2.

Smash special rule grants ap2 for all attacks regardless of weapon, unless that weapon is ap1 then you get to keep it. This is for normal attacks and not the special "smash attack profile" which is different (and generally worse since only one attack is not enough)

quote:

All of the close combat attacks, except Hammer of Wrath attacks, of a model with this special rule are resolved at AP2 (unless it’s attacking with an AP1 weapon).

To be extra clear, you gain the bonuses of rending and smash if you keeper of secrets is using a weapon like one from the rewards table, even if that weapon is ap3 or does not have rending. It is not only for the model's naked/weaponless attacks.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 7, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Anyone know anything about electric dremels? Would make drilling poo poo much easier. I'd need one which could hold tiny heads for pinning and bigger ones for magnetising.

UK based. Not something I'd thought about before but it could be super super handy.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Floppychop posted:

I think Horace meant is two shots twin-linked or 3 shots better.

More shots is always better. Your chances of missing on three shots is slightly higher--3.7% vs. 1.3%, but on average, you're going to get 2 hits vs. 1.78 with a pair of twin-linked shots. And again, you have a 30% chance to get 3 hits on 3 shots, and a 0% chance to do that with 2 twin-linked shots.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Lord Twisted posted:

Anyone know anything about electric dremels? Would make drilling poo poo much easier. I'd need one which could hold tiny heads for pinning and bigger ones for magnetising.

UK based. Not something I'd thought about before but it could be super super handy.

I find Dremels a pain to use with accuracy. The pistol grip ones might be better but I haven't tried one of those.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lungboy posted:

I find Dremels a pain to use with accuracy.
Agreed. Also, with plastic, you're more than likely to either drill a hole through the part or through your finger. Using a pin vise, while more work for you, is going to work a lot better. If you're really stuck on the Dremel though, there are battery versions that might have a lower RPM/torque that may work. A battery operated screwdriver might also work, as long as it has a chuck that will accept drill bits.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Agreed. Also, with plastic, you're more than likely to either drill a hole through the part or through your finger. Using a pin vise, while more work for you, is going to work a lot better. If you're really stuck on the Dremel though, there are battery versions that might have a lower RPM/torque that may work. A battery operated screwdriver might also work, as long as it has a chuck that will accept drill bits.

I somehow once managed to drill a hole through my finger even though I was using a pin vise :doh:

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Lord Twisted posted:

I have used a dremel for drilling holes for magnets and to sand down large pieces of resin. It works fine for that. Make sure you get one that has the cord pen attachment thing where you can put the dremel on the desk and attach the drill bit or sanding tip to the pen part which makes working on small models feasible. Never used it for pinning, not sure that small of drill bits will fit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've had luck using a pin vice or knife to carve out a starter hole, then using that to guide the dremmel. Even then, use the dremmel on a very low RPM and be ready for something to go wrong.

Also wear protective eyewear! Tiny hobby drill bits aren't intended for stress - They will snap and come at your face like an eye-seeking missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I could see it being useful for like, metal figures, but on resin and plastic you're way more likely to make a mistake or melt/warp the surrounding area.

I'd say just invest in a more comfortable pin vise and high quality drill bits.

• Locked thread