Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Laranzu posted:

Except for all the people who have the job to maintain and defend networks. They might not be utilized correctly but they are there. Its a bit of a slap fight over who gets admin rights to do poo poo though.

I take exception to the idea that there are more than 3 people working to maintain the networks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Godholio posted:

I take exception to the idea that there are more than 3 people working to maintain the networks.

There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I actually reserve most of my hatred for whatever Chinese operatives are in charge of IA. Seriously, these requirements cripple us worse than anything they could do short of a goddamned nuclear first strike.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Null Integer posted:

There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

no more IT's, what networks? maybe the guy painting the wall can fix it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hurricane bad?

Maybe I shouldn't have rented the beach bungalow.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Arione posted:

no more IT's, what networks? maybe the guy painting the wall can fix it

ITs don't defend networks. They just fix the problems we find for them to fix.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Null Integer posted:

ITs don't defend networks. They just fix the problems we find for them to fix.

Yes they do. Information Assurance *is* defensive, it's just passive. Not to be confused with sitting your happy rear end in Splunk all day (i.e. active "defense") and button-mashing analytics that someone else wrote, like a good non-ION CTN.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

buttplug posted:

Yes they do. Information Assurance *is* defensive, it's just passive. Not to be confused with sitting your happy rear end in Splunk all day (i.e. active "defense") and button-mashing analytics that someone else wrote, like a good non-ION CTN.

*glasses pushed to nose*
It's called RIOT now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Y'all act like people won't still have their job/speciality and it's going to be a free for all

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Signing emails is harder now.

V/R
Petty Officer First Class (IW/SW) Name

Looks pretentious.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Y'all act like people won't still have their job/speciality and it's going to be a free for all

Come back and say that after a bunch of ETs give themselves chits to get out of work. Everyone just signing themselves a no shave chit. It's going to be chaos.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Laranzu posted:

Signing emails is harder now.

V/R
Petty Officer First Class (IW/SW) Name

Looks pretentious.

PO1?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Doesn't have the same zazz as the other services. Might try Staff Sergeant((Navy)(IW/SW))

POONE?

I mean i pretty much won't care as soon as the beer wears off.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Some of the junior kids in my outfit think the inrernwf petition will do something because it got 100,000 signatures and they can't ignore that!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Mr. President, the internet needs to know what your opinion is on the Navy standardizing it's ranks, re-organizing job classifications to be more flexible and expand the career opportunities of sailors, and switching primarily to the same titles as every other navy in the world?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
A grassroots petition involving 100k ARIs to protest awful duty rotations was also ignored

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
"Seaman Schmuckatelli feels strongly that being called Seaman instead of Construction man makes him sound like a human being, and as such the old system must be restored"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mr. President, the internet needs to know what your opinion is on the Navy standardizing it's ranks, re-organizing job classifications to be more flexible and expand the career opportunities of sailors, and switching primarily to the same titles as every other navy in the world?

When I was in OTS we had a 4 star come and do a Q&A. One of the first questions was a dude whining about the PT test.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Godholio posted:

When I was in OTS we had a 4 star come and do a Q&A. One of the first questions was a dude whining about the PT test.

"Mr. Secretary, can we get more LAN drops and computers on this aircraft carrier?"

(not joking)

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MancXVI posted:

"Mr. Secretary, can we get more LAN drops and computers on this aircraft carrier?"

(not joking)

It's kind of hard to think of any question anyone below O-5 could even ask the Sec and it not come off as "Look at this try hard trying to impress everyone" or "LOL you retard that poo poo ain't worth the SecNav's time!"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah seriously any legit question is just stroking brass dick

I really regret the mandatory MCPON poo poo I had to go to right before I got out. Meant to get all bitter enlisted and complain about the BAH situation, why house hold good move didn't get me BAH, why I was sharing a room as an e-4, how shafted bachelors got etc

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MancXVI posted:

(not joking)

Seriously this was always a problem on a 688

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

MancXVI posted:

(not joking)

loving lol

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
I once asked the CNO (Greenert at the time) about the US Navy's response to Chinese Carriers once.

Everyone rolled their eyes at me. He gave me a coin and responded that Chinese can't operate in blue water yet and were coastal.

Seems they're pretty good at making new coasts nowadays, so whatever. At least it wasn't a question about uniform bullshit.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Admiral PACFLEET, XX3 Timmy, USS _______. Good morning sir, why are MRC cards so hard to understand?

Pretty sure he received some extra 3M training from his Chief's mess immediately following that all hands call.

ADM Davidson stopped by SWOS while I was there to remind the Surface Warface community to be humble, and at the end of it told us that he was going to be there for the next thirty minutes, and so were we, so we should ask some questions or it was going to be pretty awkward. I don't think questions helped.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Silver lining in the rate change: IYAOYAS no longer applicable

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

piL posted:

Admiral PACFLEET, XX3 Timmy, USS _______. Good morning sir, why are MRC cards so hard to understand?

Pretty sure he received some extra 3M training from his Chief's mess immediately following that all hands call.

I was definitely at an AHC with C7F right after he took over where a kid asked this very same question.

The worst part though? The Admiral gave the kid a coin because he, "didn't really know what an MRC card was and he would have to find out." :psyduck:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Back from my first decent sized underway period. The rating drop went over a lot better than expected, most people I encountered just kind of rolled their eyes and got on board with it. That said, my entire boat existence happens between the wardroom, my work dungeon, and my rack, so all those weird people who work below the hangar might have been upset idk.

This post redeemable for one (1) wardroom waffle aboard GHWB.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

I was definitely at an AHC with C7F right after he took over where a kid asked this very same question.

The worst part though? The Admiral gave the kid a coin because he, "didn't really know what an MRC card was and he would have to find out." :psyduck:

He was an aviator, right?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stultus Maximus posted:

He was an aviator, right?

Yup. And I couldn't remember if it was C7F or PACFLT, but it was the same AHC.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Gray Matter posted:

Silver lining in the rate change: IYAOYAS no longer applicable

This was the only reason for it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

piL posted:

ADM Davidson stopped by SWOS while I was there to remind the Surface Warface community to be humble, and at the end of it told us that he was going to be there for the next thirty minutes, and so were we, so we should ask some questions or it was going to be pretty awkward. I don't think questions helped.

Davidson is pretty awesome TBH. One time I watched him bore into the soul of one of his Admirals after that Admiral gave the most SN level response I've ever heard out of an Officer. Davidson's deadpan "I'm not loving around" was awesome. I then had to brief him next, and knowing he was short on time, I mentioned that I would make it quick. He then made a point of making time and spent 5 minutes asking me about myself before taking the brief.

Dude is legit. Also, he's a SWO.

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 6, 2016

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Boon posted:

Davidson is pretty awesome TBH. One time I watched him bore into the soul of one of his Admirals after that Admiral gave the most SN level response I've ever heard out of an Officer. Davidson's deadpan "I'm not loving around" was awesome. I then had to brief him next, and knowing he was short on time, I mentioned that I would make it quick. He then made a point of making time and spent 5 minutes asking me about myself before taking the brief.

Dude is legit. Also, he's a SWO.

Nice! He seems very serious and like he wont put up with garbage.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

So, for those of you thinking that the Navy had a grand plan for this rate disestablishment thing and they would start to roll it out after the announcement: think again.

I got the latest round of "Leadership Talking Points" from our FORCM and the Navy has just now established the working groups to figure out how everything is going to work now. No one, at any level, has any idea what's actually going on, or what the future will look like.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

So, for those of you thinking that the Navy had a grand plan for this rate disestablishment thing and they would start to roll it out after the announcement: think again.

I got the latest round of "Leadership Talking Points" from our FORCM and the Navy has just now established the working groups to figure out how everything is going to work now. No one, at any level, has any idea what's actually going on, or what the future will look like.

SURFOR FORCM said 'I dunno?'

Well, I guess I strongly believe that rate disestablishment is a good idea and also strongly believe the Navy is on track for loving yet another good idea. Has SURFLANT FORCM said anything?

On the other hand, nothing is different but numbers instead of rates. But id like a plan to exist.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

piL posted:

SURFOR FORCM said 'I dunno?'

Well, I guess I strongly believe that rate disestablishment is a good idea and also strongly believe the Navy is on track for loving yet another good idea. Has SURFLANT FORCM said anything?

On the other hand, nothing is different but numbers instead of rates. But id like a plan to exist.

No. He repeated the same party line of "flexibility" and "easier transitions". Everything else basically boiled down to, "keep doing everything else exactly the same (EVALS, uniforms, advancement exams, etc) because the Navy hasn't figured out how this works yet."

Also, there was another email from the FORCM at loving PERS that said, "please keep the questions coming and we'll forward them up the chain for answers." If the FORCM at PERS doesn't know what's going on with this, no one does.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
[quote="ManMythLegend" post=""4650624"] No one, at any level, has any idea what's actually going on, or what the future will look like.
[/quote]

Called it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

heh if you were out you wouldn't have any reason to care

Sucks for you scrubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I understand if you have years left and have to drink some kool aid to make the pain go away. But getting rid of rates with no transition period was a horrible idea. Like, it's embarrassing how bad an idea it is, and pretty much makes me lose all confidence in the decision making capabilities of the navy.

• Locked thread