Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Given how effective slings were, and the fact that they and their ammunition are ridiculously cheap, why were they abandoned in favor of archery in almost every part of Europe? I assume it has to do with arrows being more likely to cause incapacitating or fatal wounds as they pass through the body. I'm also curious about the effectiveness of sling bullets against padded cloth armor like the gambeson, which were considered the minimum standard for armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In addition to EvanSchenck's question, how did they compare in accuracy? Whereas I've understood the concept of bow since childhood, sling is completely alien and I wouldn't dare to try it lest I embed a bullet in my face.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lenoon posted:

That's the very final word I've come across from the man. Oh how perfectly George.
To be fair, that's one hell of an :iceburn: to finish on.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

To be fair, that's one hell of an :iceburn: to finish on.

Agreed. I am a massive fan of the phrase "will o the wisp Imperialists".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

That one photo of a supposedly American born POW in July 1941 keeps bugging me. The caption date is 8 July so if the photo was taken on that day then the prisoner would have been captured among the first POWs of the war and then delivered to Nastola on an express train. It's not physically impossible but it does sound like there could be some mis-captioning going on.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

"My skunk must have the breath of life in its body" is a phrase I need to memorize, for reasons...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lenoon posted:

Agreed. I am a massive fan of the phrase "will o the wisp Imperialists".

There's something delightfully "handbags at ten paces" about their exchange.

Also, I really don't know what Ol' George would make of his book being sold for over a hundred quid these days.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 7, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

There's something delightfully "handbags at ten paces" about their exchange.

Just think if the huge swathes of their generation hadn't been horribly killed in the 1st World War how we'd all speak today.

I want to see their hip hop!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just think if the huge swathes of their generation hadn't been horribly killed in the 1st World War how we'd all speak today.

I want to see their hip hop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiRPBCiJg2c

Griz
May 21, 2001

EvanSchenck posted:

Given how effective slings were, and the fact that they and their ammunition are ridiculously cheap, why were they abandoned in favor of archery in almost every part of Europe? I assume it has to do with arrows being more likely to cause incapacitating or fatal wounds as they pass through the body. I'm also curious about the effectiveness of sling bullets against padded cloth armor like the gambeson, which were considered the minimum standard for armor.

I'm not an expert in the field but I think it was a combination of bows getting better, extensive trade routes allowing more centralized governments to equip lots of dudes with these bows and their expensive arrows (the tremendous cost of arrows came up somewhere earlier in this thread), and the shift to farming and enclosed pastures instead of free-roaming herds where there were lots of young men sitting around watching sheep and practicing slinging all day.

Nenonen posted:

In addition to EvanSchenck's question, how did they compare in accuracy? Whereas I've understood the concept of bow since childhood, sling is completely alien and I wouldn't dare to try it lest I embed a bullet in my face.

Professional slingers were noted for their exceptional accuracy, but there's only so many shepherds with thousands of hours of sling practice, and training random peasants to be reasonably good archers is faster and safer than doing the same with slings. You can't really gently caress up shooting a bow (other than scraping the poo poo out of your forearm if you aren't wearing a bracer) but inexperienced slingers can whack themselves with the loaded sling or launch the projectile straight up or behind them.

quote:

In Livy’s History of Rome, which was completed in 9 A.D., he states,
A hundred slingers were recruited from Aegium and Patrae and Dymae. These peoples were trained from boyhood [...] Having been trained to shoot through rings of moderate circumference from long distances, they would wound not merely the heads of their enemies but any part of the face at which they might have aimed.

Strabo, a Roman historian born in 64 B.C. commented on the famed Balearic slingers:
...their training in the use of slings used to be such, from childhood up, that [parents] would not so much as give bread to their children unless they first hit it with the sling.

Vegetius, Florus, and other classical writers confirm this Balearic tradition and their remarkable proficiency. The Bible also mentions another legendary group, the Benjamites, noting, “every one could sling stones at an hair breadth, and not miss.” (Judges 20.16)
http://www.chrisharrison.net/index.php/Research/Sling

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's disadvantages to slings. The effective range is limited, accuracy requires a lot of training (recall that David smacking Goliath in the forehead was considered a miraculous feat of skill), a slinger needs space to work, and has difficulty shooting over the head of the man in front of him. It's also not easy to make use of arrow slits in fortifications.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 7, 2016

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Griz posted:

I'm not an expert in the field but I think it was a combination of bows getting better, extensive trade routes allowing more centralized governments to equip lots of dudes with these bows and their expensive arrows (the tremendous cost of arrows came up somewhere earlier in this thread), and the shift to farming and enclosed pastures instead of free-roaming herds where there were lots of young men sitting around watching sheep and practicing slinging all day.

Professional slingers were noted for their exceptional accuracy, but there's only so many shepherds with thousands of hours of sling practice, and training random peasants to be reasonably good archers is faster and safer than doing the same with slings. You can't really gently caress up shooting a bow (other than scraping the poo poo out of your forearm if you aren't wearing a bracer) but inexperienced slingers can whack themselves with the loaded sling or launch the projectile straight up or behind them.

http://www.chrisharrison.net/index.php/Research/Sling

So the bow obsoletes the sling like the musket obsoletes the bow, by being faster, easier and cheaper to train then a slinger?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Fangz posted:

recall that David smacking Goliath in the forehead was considered a miraculous feat of skill

You are seriously misunderstanding the story. The miracle is that a stone launched from a sling killed a seemingly invincible giant. Goliath's armament (helmet, armor, sword, spear, and javelin) are used to contrast markedly with David's meager sling and stone. There is no suggestion that hitting Goliath in the forehead was a difficult shot.

Chillyrabbit posted:

So the bow obsoletes the sling like the musket obsoletes the bow, by being faster, easier and cheaper to train then a slinger?

I don't buy this line of argument. Slings had almost completely disappeared from the battlefield by the turn of the 12th century, and I haven't seen any actual positive evidence that they took more time to train or maintain. Instead we have a lot of retroactive theories justifying their disappearance, but even these fall apart under scrutiny.

Slings can be made for far less money than bows, and stones are essentially free while lead bullets, though not cheap in the strictest sense, certainly cost less than arrows to make both in time and materials. As mentioned above there is no evidence that slings take more time than bows to train for, and in Nikephoros Ouranos's Taktika it is advised that archers also carry slings on their belts, which suggests they have sufficient time to train for both.

Unfortunately I can't find any reliable recorded figures for slings to compare with corresponding figures from, say, Mark Stretton's arrows, so you all are saved from me mangling physics again. The one thing I will say is that sling projectiles, be they stone or lead, will have a larger impact area than an arrow, and will require, correspondingly, more energy to penetrate their target.

Slings obviously were useful weapons, given their use in warfare for many centuries, but I find it very hard to believe they were strictly superior to bows, discounting logistical concerns.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 7, 2016

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

You are seriously misunderstanding the story. The miracle is that a stone launched from a sling killed a seemingly invincible giant. Goliath's armament (helmet, armor, sword, spear, and javelin) are used to contrast markedly with David's meager sling and stone. There is no suggestion that hitting Goliath in the forehead was a difficult shot.

quote:

So it was, when the Philistine arose and came and drew near to meet David, that David hurried and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine. 49 Then David put his hand in his bag and took out a stone; and he slung it and struck the Philistine in his forehead, so that the stone sank into his forehead, and he fell on his face to the earth. 50 So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and struck the Philistine and killed him. But there was no sword in the hand of David. 51 Therefore David ran and stood over the Philistine, took his sword and drew it out of its sheath and killed him, and cut off his head with it.

So they said he had no sword in his hand, but that he killed him with his sword? And did he throw the rock, or sling it? Who was on the nearby grassy knoll? Was there a second slinger?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
That's probably :thejoke: but just in case: David kills Goliath with Goliath's sword, after knocking him to the ground with a slung ('thrown ') rock.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If it was straightforward to hit a charging warrior in an unprotected but lethal area with a stone, I do not think the feat would have been so remarkable. Remember in the story also that David brought five stones to the fight - which I assume implies he expected to miss.

Edit: Certainly I agree that the story contrasts the equipment of the two, but in the context of a readership who is familiar with what a sling is capable of, I think there is nevertheless also an understanding that this is a difficult shot to make in a difficult match up. Otherwise it would kinda undermine the entire point, having it be something like that scene in Indiana Jones where Jones just shoots the swordsman. A slinger is expected to lose to a guy like Goliath, whose armour should provide sufficient protection.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 7, 2016

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I was always taught that David hit Goliath right in the temple, which was the only small unprotected spot on his dead due to the helmet he was wearing, so in that sense it was a miraculous shot. But that also sounds like it might be embellishment - it sounds a lot like Smaug being hit on the missing scale.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pthighs posted:

I was always taught that David hit Goliath right in the temple, which was the only small unprotected spot on his dead due to the helmet he was wearing, so in that sense it was a miraculous shot. But that also sounds like it might be embellishment - it sounds a lot like Smaug being hit on the missing scale.

Way back when I was a kid and went to Sunday school they had an illustration of David as like a 10-year old kid beaning Goliath right between the eyes with a rock. Back then the story was reworded just to say David knocked him down but for a room full of kids who threw rocks at birds and squirrels and possums (but not dogs or cats, it was definitely hosed up to throw rocks at cats/dogs) out of childish assholery that wasn't fooling everyone and he clearly killed his big rear end dead with a rock to the head.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I only remember the version in Xena in which Goliath's weak spot was between the eyes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's also a suggestion by one rabbi that the text has been misinterpreted and originally one of David's shots ended up getting stuck in Goliath's greaves, causing Goliath to stumble around unable to flex his leg, giving David an opportunity to cut his head off.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

There's also a suggestion by one rabbi that the text has been misinterpreted and originally one of David's shots ended up getting stuck in Goliath's greaves, causing Goliath to stumble around unable to flex his leg, giving David an opportunity to cut his head off.

Bible: the Mechwarrior story.

"Hit them on the weakspot for massive damage" - Proverbs, 5:15

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This is way cooler.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Fangz posted:

If it was straightforward to hit a charging warrior in an unprotected but lethal area with a stone, I do not think the feat would have been so remarkable. Remember in the story also that David brought five stones to the fight - which I assume implies he expected to miss.

Or he expected the injury of one stone to be insufficient, or there is mystical significance to the number five, or it is easier to find one of five stones in a bag than just the one, or some thing else. You are inferring a lot from the presence of 5 stones. You are also underestimating how accurate slings are,. Livy notes, speaking of slingers from Aegeam, Patram, and Dymae " they would wound not merely the heads of their enemies but any part of the face at which they might have aimed." Given Goliath and David were able to exchange threats, and then ran towards each other, they can't have been very far apart when David loosed his projectile, and Goliath having a significantly larger face than the average man would mean this feat required even less skill than what has already been achievable by men. It is not miraculous.

quote:

Edit: Certainly I agree that the story contrasts the equipment of the two, but in the context of a readership who is familiar with what a sling is capable of, I think there is nevertheless also an understanding that this is a difficult shot to make in a difficult match up. Otherwise it would kinda undermine the entire point, having it be something like that scene in Indiana Jones where Jones just shoots the swordsman. A slinger is expected to lose to a guy like Goliath, whose armour should provide sufficient protection.

All the language in the passage emphasizes Goliath's strength, from his size to listing the weight of his armour and weapons. David, meanwhile, emphasizes physical weakness and inexperience, being both only a boy and unused to wearing armour. Yet David had already slain a lion and a bear, both strong animals. This is because David's might comes from God rather than his own body, and thus on an enemy even larger than the bear or lion he is able to fell him with the first blow. The stone struck Goliath in the forehead "so that the stone sank into his forehead", a qualifier that emphasizes the power of the shot. This is a telling blow, not a rock whipped by a youth. This is because the passage is set up to demonstrate testing strength on strength (the strength of God vs. the strength of men), not the accuracy of David's aim.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When people talk about encrypted/coded messages over the radio in WW2, what does that actually mean? It is it like, you write down your message, jumble the letters according to your cipher, broadcast the letters in morse [?], the receiver gets the jumbled letters, and then they decrypt?

And then, in the case of the need for real-time voice transmissions, are those always in plain spoken-word, such that anyone on the same frequency can hear you ordering your tanks to wheel around (assuming they had the frequency and spoke the language)?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

When people talk about encrypted/coded messages over the radio in WW2, what does that actually mean? It is it like, you write down your message, jumble the letters according to your cipher, broadcast the letters in morse [?], the receiver gets the jumbled letters, and then they decrypt?

And then, in the case of the need for real-time voice transmissions, are those always in plain spoken-word, such that anyone on the same frequency can hear you ordering your tanks to wheel around (assuming they had the frequency and spoke the language)?

Yup, that's pretty much how encryption worked.

With real time transmissions you would use code words, as the enemy was very likely listening in. I read a German document that complained about poor radio discipline where a German commander called for reinforcements in plaintext on a frequency known by the Soviets, so they knew his position was weak and attacked there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Speaking of the 2nd World War, how did movement of the population in Europe work at the time with both neutral and occupied by the Axis countries?

Did they keep a close eye on people from Switzerland and Spain? how easy was it for somebody to move from occupied France to a neutral country? did trains have to be constantly stopped and searched? What were the more neutral mainland Europe stances on POW's of both sides?

I remember reading about quite a few people in the neutral nations risking their lives in saving some people from the concentration camps which is drat heroic.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I remember reading about quite a few people in the neutral nations risking their lives in saving some people from the concentration camps which is drat heroic.

Today they would be called people smugglers, I bet. Well, some really were in it for profit I bet, but then there's also costs and considerable risks so I wouldn't blame a fisher for taking a fee for taking a family across the sea.

In general back in the day there were a lot more policemen, plus military police and other officials who would love to check your papers if you seemed out of place, and without proper documentation it would be nigh impossible to get accommodation. On the other hand at least papers were easier to forge back then, especially when there were no international standards - how would a local constable know if your Portuguese passport from 1914 was real or not?

Stopping a train between stations would be counter-productive though, it's better to inspect papers when the train is moving so you can't get out easily.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Or he expected the injury of one stone to be insufficient, or there is mystical significance to the number five, or it is easier to find one of five stones in a bag than just the one, or some thing else. You are inferring a lot from the presence of 5 stones. You are also underestimating how accurate slings are,. Livy notes, speaking of slingers from Aegeam, Patram, and Dymae " they would wound not merely the heads of their enemies but any part of the face at which they might have aimed." Given Goliath and David were able to exchange threats, and then ran towards each other, they can't have been very far apart when David loosed his projectile, and Goliath having a significantly larger face than the average man would mean this feat required even less skill than what has already been achievable by men. It is not miraculous.

All the language in the passage emphasizes Goliath's strength, from his size to listing the weight of his armour and weapons. David, meanwhile, emphasizes physical weakness and inexperience, being both only a boy and unused to wearing armour. Yet David had already slain a lion and a bear, both strong animals. This is because David's might comes from God rather than his own body, and thus on an enemy even larger than the bear or lion he is able to fell him with the first blow. The stone struck Goliath in the forehead "so that the stone sank into his forehead", a qualifier that emphasizes the power of the shot. This is a telling blow, not a rock whipped by a youth. This is because the passage is set up to demonstrate testing strength on strength (the strength of God vs. the strength of men), not the accuracy of David's aim.

There's also been suggestions by modern scholars that if David vs. Goliath was based on an actual incident, Goliath may have suffered from gigantism caused by tumors of the pituitary gland, like Andre the Giant. These tumors can press on nerve fibers in the optic chiasm, resulting in a narrower field of vision. Goliath is described in the Bible as slowly moving led by a shield bearer, and his dialogue suggests that he may be having trouble even seeing David in the distance.

So according to Malcolm Gladwell, the true meaning of David & Goliath is that Goliath's greatest strength also acts as his greatest weakness. It was essentially this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yup, that's pretty much how encryption worked.

With real time transmissions you would use code words, as the enemy was very likely listening in. I read a German document that complained about poor radio discipline where a German commander called for reinforcements in plaintext on a frequency known by the Soviets, so they knew his position was weak and attacked there.

Is something like real-time encryption of voice traffic something that exists now in militaries? When was it developed if so?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is something like real-time encryption of voice traffic something that exists now in militaries? When was it developed if so?

Older than you think - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGSALY

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

This is because David's might comes from God rather than his own body

Swole with the lord

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Voice encryption has been around since WWII (see above post) and pretty much everything digital today is encrypted, but tactical radio comms are still usually not: they are mostly analog and thus just use frequency hopping as their main form of cryptography.. FH is getting pretty long in the tooth though so there's been a years-long movement towards proper digital tactical comms which will actually encrypt a digital signal among other neat things. Development has been shall we say challenging however.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 7, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

There's also the suggestion that it's a bunch of folk mythology/bullshit and NEVER ACTUALLY HAPPENED. See also: all of Exodus.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of implausible parts of the bible, but knocking a guy down by hitting him in the face with a rock isn't one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Not much has changed

There's also that one guy who dropped a toilet on Vietnam.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 7, 2016

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was also Hellschreiber as a sort of radio fax machine for text. The chief advantage was presumably not needing to know morse. I don't know how prevalent its use was.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a lot of implausible parts of the bible, but knocking a guy down by hitting him in the face with a rock isn't one.
Bear in mind that some giants were descended from some angels and thus were magical. This is basically an Eowyn vs Witch King duel.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phanatic posted:

There's also the suggestion that it's a bunch of folk mythology/bullshit and NEVER ACTUALLY HAPPENED. See also: all of Exodus.

Thanks for your contribution, Mr. Dawkins, but the truth of whether David and Goliath ever existed is ABSOLUTELY loving IRRELEVANT for the purposes of this discussion, which you would've noticed if you weren't so anxious to get off a cool edgy HEY DID U KNO TEH BIBBLE IS DUMB r/atheism post.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 8, 2016

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Bear in mind that some giants were descended from some angels and thus were magical. This is basically an Eowyn vs Witch King duel.

Those giants all got nobbed because their naval budget wasn't large enough, if only IJN planners had been around at the time for some good super-ark on super-ark combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Polyakov posted:

Those giants all got nobbed because their naval budget wasn't large enough, if only IJN planners had been around at the time for some good super-ark on super-ark combat.
What about the flying ones?