Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Some thoughts about comics from this week and last:

Black Monday Murders #2
: As with with the first issue it's very dense and filled with scenes that make little sense but invoke curiosity. The detective's story is the relatable, understandable, plot that slowly starts connecting the more estranged scenes in the comic. The double issue print makes for a very satisfying read, it's all very well crafted.

Eclipse #1: A unique take on a sort of post-apocalyptic setting, but without using many of the mantras that is attached to the genre. Art is distinct and well curated for individual scene's purposes. Absolutely loved the author/artist notes at the end, they talk about page design decisions. Looking forward to more.

Glitterbomb #1: Lovecraftian horror infused into a modern character and setting. Light, straight-forward, read but enjoyable. Curious to see what the actual plot develops into, whether its the protagonist dealing with her situation on top of the every-day real-life struggles, or it goes more toward a lovecraftian mystery. I'd prefer the latter but it's probably the former.

Seven To Eternity #1
: Art is truly fantastic, setting is immersive and unique, but every line seems void of personality. I realize part of this is probably intended due to the character's situation and life, but it's simply too robotic and takes away from everything else. I know Remender is a notable name, and I've only began reading comics 2 months ago, but I haven't been a fan of the work that I've read. He always seems to get top notch artists though.

Horizon #3: This issue does little to change my poor opinion of the series. The art also seems to be getting..worse.

I could go on about why none of it is working but it's not really worth it. Not picking it up any more.

Kill or be Killed #2
: Phenomenal. Getting lazy to type at this point but it's really great !!

These two panels were my favorite. It's such a minor part of the story, the character's mom, but small things like this really showcase the attention to detail for the comic's themes.

Demonic #2: I find it kind of odd Image would publish both this and Kill or be Killed. They're.. very similar on a fundamental level. Innocent protagonist is forced to kill baddies. Simply by comparison Demonic seems the less interesting of the two, but it's not bad by any means. Story is really starting to seem generic though. Detective is killing baddies, and there's another detective trying to find him !! oh man they ran into each other at work !! Still picking up the next issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shame about Horizon. Promising setup let down by a slow fart.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

GrandpaPants posted:

Just to calibrate my tastes a bit, what did you think of Neonomicon?

Echoing above, sexual violence is much less of a thing. I honestly didn't like Neonomicon very much -- it didn't feel like a very satisfying narrative, and the Cthulhu sex dungeon focus wasn't that... interesting. I actually was a kind of disappointed when I went back to read it after Providence; they do have similar themes (i.e. Lovecraft, build a mythology of small New England towns, an investigation) but I personally felt like Providence did a lot more with them.

There are some interstitial essays between the comics that were a bit hit or miss for me, reading the first trade in one go, but otherwise very good.

e: Also, fwiw I've talked to a lot of people who've liked both, or had flipped preferences, so ymmv. Definitely fairly disimilar books.

foutre fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 24, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
late, but drat what a great new issue of The Fix. One of my fave comics right now, as a SoCal guy I get a lot of fun out of it and it's just hilarious anyway...real funny issue, Kincaid, the crossing guard, the chase, but that twist at the end oh drat I didn't see that poo poo coming. I don't think there's another comic that I'm enjoying right now this much. For some reason it kind of reminded me of the equally hilarious (and full of good reaction faces) but totally different in terms of vibes/subject matter comedy/action historical manga Golden Kamui about a veteran of the Russo-Japanese War.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

I can't find Seven To Eternity cover A at any of the local shops. You butts keep buying them. Which is good, but still.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Finally getting into Cry Havoc and oh my drat is it good. Spurrier's time-bending narrative methods continue to mature, and he's got a small army of talented artists backing him up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yo. Reminder 2000AD #2000 is out today.
http://www.2000adonline.com/post/847

quote:

This 48-page celebration bonanza includes new work from Brian Bolland (Batman: The Killing Joke), Mick McMahon (The Last American), Dave Gibbons (Watchmen), and a brand new Nemesis the Warlock strip by Pat Mills (Marshal Law) and Kevin O’Neill (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) – the first sequential comics work by Bolland for 2000 AD since 1987 – as well as a brand new series, Counterfeit Girl, by Peter Milligan (X-Statix, Hellblazer) and Rufus Dayglo (Tank Girl) and a poster featuring specially commissioned artwork!
You can buy a CBZ/PDF direct from the site http://shop.2000adonline.com/products/2000_ad_prog_2000_b

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 28, 2016

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Nobby posted:

Those pretty much all sound right (that was my guess for Perun), but Mary Wollstonecraft as Hestia seems unlikely. She may have given birth young, but her daughter's a member of the Pantheon. She'd be pretty old for WicDiv divinity as it's been presented so far. Plus, you'd think Mary Shelley/Woden would have had more of a reaction to her mention. Homegirl went to her grave to cry like, all the time.

EDIT: I like that while it's not really clear who the Brontes are (the Furies sounds like a better idea than the Fates to me), they all seem to have gone full Cathy. And isn't that really what counts?

This got resolved by Gillen in his annotations for the issue. Who Hestia is an analogue for is pretty head-slappingly obvious in retrospect. She's Jane Austen

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
New Deadly Class is great. Really looking forward to the new "year". Hope Viktor feeds Shabnam his own guts. Viktor is stronk, like Mother Russia. I'm sorely tempted to do another reread of the series thus far.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
It's just a shame that Deadly Class seems to have a problem with being released on a regular schedule, if they keep going months between releases I might pick up the trades if Comixology puts them on sale and follow it that way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Catching up on some stuff from last week, just wanted to let everyone know once again to read Joyride. It's really good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The next Dynamite John Carter series is coming from Brian Wood and Alex Cox (director of Repo Man and Sid & Nancy, unless there's another Alex Cox I can't find in a quick Google)
http://www.newsarama.com/31304-revamped-john-carter-of-mars-coming-from-brian-wood-alex-cox.html

quote:

Brian Wood and Alex Cox are revamping Edgar Rice Burrough's John Carter of Mars for a new series at Dynamite Entertainment.

"Taking on a classic literary icon like John Carter is no small thing, and working with Alex Cox to find a direction that both honors the past and looks into the future has been a great challenge, one that we both are enjoying immensely," says Brian Wood.

Dynamite has released no details on the artists involved, nor the timeline for the book's publication. Garry Brown and Hayden Sherman illustrated pieces for the project however, provided here by the publisher.

"The John Carter series is one of the all-time great Sci-fi/fantasy epics, and having the opportunity to play in that sandbox is just awesome. Brian's concept is unlike any John Carter story to date, but with a lot of reverence for the world that Burroughs built." states co-writer Alex Cox. "Beyond that, we're drawing on everything from Jodorowsky to Jesse Marsh to John Wayne to make this story as cool as possible. I think people are going to love it- old school superfans, and also people who have no idea what a Rykor is."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont we have a glut of John Carter stuff actually? I know I keep seeing a ton of John Carterbusty red lady from mars.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I picked up a couple of issues because Ron Marz was writing it, and they were all right. I could probably stand to see a trade of that, and Dejah Thoris is nowhere near as ridiculous in the interiors as she tends to be on the covers.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I read the John Carter comics that were coming out a year or two before the Disney movie (I remember Disney trying to sue Dynamite to stop the series because they were having Marvel print their own tie-in) and some of them were pretty good. I like that they did a prequel set in the distant past of Barsoom about the construction of the Atmosphere Plant, a shorter-term prequel where Dejah Thoris was the main character, and a crossover with Gullivar of Mars, all things that were using the source material in more interesting ways than just "John Carter keeps killing Tharks".

Brian Wood is kind of scuzzy but I'll still pick this up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In perfect comics news, Francesco Francavilla will write and draw The Spirit.
http://www.newsarama.com/31326-new-the-spirit-title-written-drawn-by-francavilla.html

quote:

Dynamite Entertainment announces that writer-artist Francesco Francavilla (Black Beetle) will tackle Will Eisner's legendary masked crimefighter this January in the all-new comic book series, The Spirit: The Corpse-Makers!

Following Matt Wagner's initial twelve-issue run (released as a collection, entitled Will Eisner's The Spirit Returns, this month), Francesco Francavilla takes the reins for an all-new series early next year! Francavilla, known primarily for his incredible covers and interior artwork, will handle writing and artistic duties on a new series which is sure to please lovers of crime comics, pulp fiction, and -- of course -- longtime fans of Eisner's most well-known creation!

A series of unexpected disappearances and deaths hit Central City. Initially these cases seem purely unrelated: no apparent connection between the victims makes it easy for the police to just file them as runaways or natural deaths. But when someone close to Ebony White disappears, The Spirit is on the case!

"I couldn't be more honored and humbled to have been asked to do a story with one of the icons of the comic universe," says Francesco Francavilla. "I'm not going to lie -- tackling one of Maestro Will Eisner's most famous creations and following in the steps of my dearest friends Darwyn Cooke and Matt Wagner is not gonna be an easy task, but I'll make sure my love for the character, for those legendary creators, and for the medium will show. And I hope readers will be along with me on this new ride. Thanks again to the Eisner Estate and Dynamite Comics for inviting me to Central City; I think I'm gonna like living here for a bit!"

"We have been very fortunate to have Francesco lend his talent to such stunning cover art on multiple titles over the years," says Dynamite CEO and Publisher Nick Barrucci. "He is a true master of the pulp style in every sense, and to have him tackle The Spirit? That is something every comic book fan will want to see!"

"Francesco Francavilla is part of Dynamite's very DNA," says Joseph Rybandt, Executive Editor. "From his first interior work with us back on Zorro, to the multitude of covers he's done for us over the years - each better than the last - he is one of our go-to artists and he always makes time for us in his increasingly busy schedule. To have him not only write, but draw (and do covers!) The Spirit for five issues? A glorious proposition!"

The Spirit: The Corpse-Makers #1 will be solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors' August 2016 Previews catalog, the premier source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market, and slated for release in October. Comic book fans are encouraged to reserve copies of The Spirit with their local comic book retailers. The Spirit: The Corpse-Makers will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Dynamite Digital, iVerse, and Dark Horse Digital.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Will Sam Jackson be the octopus

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It'd be nice if this stuff came at once instead of drip feeding, but Dynamite's also got a new Vamparella writer in Paul Cornell (Captain Britain, Demon Knights)
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/04/paul-cornell-to-write-vampirella-for-dynamite-reuniting-with-jimmy-broxton/

quote:

“I’m delighted to be writing a Vampirella that takes onboard everything she’s been and moves it forward into a new setting, where the gothic meets science fiction,” says writer Paul Cornell. “I’m also delighted to be working again with my old friends, the incredibly talented artist Jimmy Broxton, and the incredibly talented editor, Matt Idelson. There’s a lyrical, Modesty Blaise feel to Jimmy’s art on this. I’m hoping especially to find a female audience. The character’s often been regarded as a nostalgia item, cheesecake, and we’re building on previous efforts to keep moving away from that to something more interesting. I’m excited to be building a whole new world, I’m loving what Jimmy’s art is doing (Barbarella! Hepburn!), and I hope that excitement communicates itself to the reader.”

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wish Francavilla would stop wasting time with other things and get to work on Afterlife with Archie. Also is there anyone that cares even a little bit about Vampirella? Or that ever did in the first place? I'd imagine those that did would be the types that are not down for a comic about the character in that drawing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

I'd imagine those that did would be the types that are not down for a comic about the character in that drawing.

It's their second toned down design (I'm just assuming that this image is linked to the press release and not something random BC picked,) so I'm guessing they'd be really into a different type of audience taking her up.

After Demon Knights, I'll definitely give it a go.

e: And I like this ordinary girl in a dress design a lot.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 4, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

its a cool design except that logo/color scheme looks exactly like Dark Phoenix

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Kate Leth Vampirella run was really good, actually the best of that trio of soft reboots of Dynamite's pulp heroines. Dejah Thoris was utterly forgettable, and Red Sonja basically lost any momentum Simone had given it by Bennet basically jettisoning any of the stuff that run established, but Vampirella was a fun take by having her in Hollywood, literally working as a bootleg Elvira for horror revival showings.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

X-O posted:

I wish Francavilla would stop wasting time with other things and get to work on Afterlife with Archie.

Zero percent chance Francesco is the hold up on that book rather than the prolific television writer/producer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yo Bounty is like super good

Even if I dont get the main conceit of the story, they have to destroy all electronic traces of their identities so... something something? Then something something something?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought a bunch of books.

Green Valley is real good and the best of the bunch. It's weird and I want to read the next issue.

Big Trouble in Little China Escape From New York is bizarre and maybe will be good in a ridiculous way.

Moonshine's first issue was interesting and I want to read more from the 100 bullets guys so I'm along for the ride.

Triggerman (Hard Case comics, which is an imprint of Titan I think) is meh. I don't know why I buy comics from creators I'm not already big on. The risk / reward considering comic pricing doesn't seem worth it.

I think there was more but this was what I could remember. My DC / Marvel pickups were basically indies (Jessica Jones, Vertigo and Young Animal stuff, Flintstones and He-Man v Thundercats), but I'll stick thoughts for those in the appropriate threads.

Did anyone pick up Cannibal or Romulus? I was thinking about grabbing those but my haul this week was massive so I skipped them.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Seven to Eternity is a gorgeous comic and its variety of stoner fantasy is my jam, but I can't shake off the Dark Tower and Fear Agent deja vu feelings.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

Moonshine's first issue was interesting and I want to read more from the 100 bullets guys so I'm along for the ride.

I just picked up #1 with the Frank Miller variant cover, so looking forward to reading this!

Speaking of 100 Bullets, I had bought the Deluxe Hardcover Book One of 100 Bullets years ago, and never got around to buying the rest - only now realizing the rest of the hardcover releases are out-of-print.
Does anyone know a best place to find these at a reasonable price - particularly Book Two? Amazon, eBay, and Kijiji are coming up at $150-200 for Book Two, or more.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm so over Saga right now and I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe just the update wait? I don't find myself caring about any of these characters or what they're doing or where they're going anymore and it was totally gripping me for a certain period. It feels increasingly like a weird web comic

Maybe sometime around the dragon jizz debacle

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Saga is still awesome, dragon jizz or not.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Caught up on Autumnlands. Lord of Light elements. Cool. Still enjoying this a lot, it was obvious from the start this was not a fantasy story and it's doing all the sci-fi stuff right.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm so over Saga right now and I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe just the update wait? I don't find myself caring about any of these characters or what they're doing or where they're going anymore and it was totally gripping me for a certain period. It feels increasingly like a weird web comic

Maybe sometime around the dragon jizz debacle

Around the time it stopped being a run from the law and they settled down a bit and everything it got a bit slower and less interesting and it seemed increasingly focused on being shocking / out there (LETS ALL GET HIGH AS gently caress, dragon jizz, etc).

Honestly the initial appeal was that they're parents who will do anything for their kid, including break away from the society that says they can't be together. Then they slowed down, had marital issues, developed a drug problem, and their cool sidestory poo poo involved nearly killing cool guy.

I still read it but I still read walking dead and that hasn't been good in years.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm almost caught up on Chew, and I think this is probably my favorite Image series. Shame I only got into it as it's about to end.

Edit- Also, really, the dragon jizz and drugs were too much in Saga? We're talking about the same comic that featured two people with TVs for heads graphically having sex, as well as one of those characters later giving birth in explicit detail, right? I believe that was also after a flashback showing The Will having sex with the half-spider lady.

Roth fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 9, 2016

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I always thought that Saga would have been far better if they didn't try to out-HBO HBO on the explicit front.

It really doesn't add much to the story besides being ~~~CONTROVERSIAL~~~

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It always felt to me like somebody managed to boil down the first twenty years of Heavy Metal magazine into a single unit, somehow. It's got that sort of "well, why not" feel to it a lot of the time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

12 page preview of Scott Snyder/Jeff Lemire's After Death
http://www.newsarama.com/31488-cheat-death-with-snyder-lemire-s-a-d-after-death-book-one-12-page-preview.html#s11

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Yeah, I'm gonna read the poo poo out of that.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Roth posted:

I'm almost caught up on Chew, and I think this is probably my favorite Image series. Shame I only got into it as it's about to end.

Edit- Also, really, the dragon jizz and drugs were too much in Saga? We're talking about the same comic that featured two people with TVs for heads graphically having sex, as well as one of those characters later giving birth in explicit detail, right? I believe that was also after a flashback showing The Will having sex with the half-spider lady.

They're more sign posts and less wrong paths. Dragon Jizz was just unjustifiably stupid, involved killing off characters before they had a chance to shine, etc. If it was a quest for any other item it would still be lame but the fact that the particular quest object is a 2 page spread of a dragon playing with itself while the ladies all make dumb jokes was just boring as hell. To someone whose been on SA for over a decade it comes off as uncharacteristically juvenile rather than shocking.

it's also kind of a hosed up quest to put a sex abuse victim on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yo black monday murders is hosed up

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Crap I forgot that came out today thanks for reminding me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh jeez I thought Alan Moore was pastiching the stuff for Cinema Purgatorio.

But this issue's is pretty much the real life story of the Warner brothers. Yeah those guys.