Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Invalid Validation posted:

I want Barry and Thawne to be friends. They really have no reason to hate each other if they would just stop going back in time and saying they hate each other over and over.
I don't think friendship is really possible when Thawne has murdered Barry's mother like a hundred times now, and Thawne clearly holds some unexplained grudge against Barry, but I do like that the show goes for a frenemy angle with them. Thawne may hate Barry, but season 1 proved that he cares more about his mortal enemy than he admits. There are a lot of complicated layers built between them since the show began, and I'm glad that season 3 opens up the possibility for Thawne to make more appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I like Non-Wells Thawne. Granted, I like Wells Thawne better, but this other guy does about as good a job as anyone who isn't Tom Cavanagh can do with the part.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

Guy A. Person posted:

I for sure thought they were going to go the route of "Barry is the one who generates the Speed Force, so without him being Flash there is nothing to give Thawne speed" in the first season. And it was going to turn out that Thawne became Wells to ensure that Barry became the Flash (because maybe the timeline had been altered to such an extent that he otherwise didn't become the Flash).

But it turns out that Thawne losing his powers was just some super weird coincidence? And that he just needed Barry to be fast enough to give his failing powers a boost to travel back to his time where he would...get better?

Then of course there's all the weird stuff about the Thawne time remnant, which I think is obsolete now because Barry removed the Thawne that murdered his mother from the timeline post-murdering his mother. So wait was Wells ever Thawne in this timeline? Is Eddie still alive? :psyduck:

I believe that in this timeline Thawne did not take over Wells, as he is going to be loving with time shenanigans over in Legends of Tomorrow. This may have caused ~ripples~ to explain any drama the writers may want to pull out their butts.

The ripple may also be coming the increasing trauma past-Barry experiences, but present-Barry from a slightly alternate timeline never has to process the ever increasing circus happening surrounding his mother's murder. He just remembers the yellow lightning from Season 1.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Yo, look who's back from the coma that Arrow S4 finale put him into!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Great thanks, any Tumblr updates?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No lie, I stopped watching the shows and just started following these recaps and they've been a lot more entertaining.

I did not like that first episode. Barry is getting more and more unlikable and his obsession with Iris is just getting creepy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Can this be on every page

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm glad even his alt parents want him out of the house since he's like 30 and has a good job.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Wait. I just realized something with those screencaps: Did Thawne go from having a beard in the poorly-thought-out-cell to clean-shaven at the end? Did he speedshave so he'd look good for Norah Murder Attempt Take 2?

What a magnificent bastard.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Longbaugh01 posted:

Wait. I just realized something with those screencaps: Did Thawne go from having a beard in the poorly-thought-out-cell to clean-shaven at the end? Did he speedshave so he'd look good for Norah Murder Attempt Take 2?

What a magnificent bastard.

Turns out there is more than one reason for the vibrating hand of death besides...death.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Why does everyone think the flashpoint story is over? He didn't end up in his timeline at the end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spacebump posted:

Why does everyone think the flashpoint story is over? He didn't end up in his timeline at the end.

Barry hasn't been in his timeline since that episode where he went back to season 1.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He's hosed up time so much he should probably be dead right now along with star city.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The thing that gets me is that Wells Flash offered him a chance to do exactly this at the end of season 1, no strings attached, and he turned it down because he liked the life and friends he had. Thawne seemed genuinely confused that Barry would turn down the chance to undo the damage he did to the timeline-- not in a "curses, you didn't fall for my evil plan!" way, but in a "holy poo poo, I just offered you, my sworn enemy, a golden goose with no strings attached, and you spat in my face! What the gently caress is wrong with you?" kinda way. And then at the end of season 2 he goes back and does it anyway, so it's almost like he didn't do it in season 1 just to be a dick. Not to preserve his relationship with his friends or found family, but just so he could gently caress Thawne over and murder him (and his ancestor!). Jesus, no wonder Thawne hates the guy.

My question is, in the original timeline, Barry became the Flash without his mom getting murdered. Ostensibly, going back and undoing murdermom in the first season would've just restored the original timeline, since Barry had to become the Flash in that timeline for Thawne to hate him. So why did going back in the second season create a third, completely different timeline in which Wally is the Flash and Barry isn't? :psyduck:

I mean, I already know the answer. We all know the answer. But still, I feel like the question should be asked.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His mom seeing the flash fight RF made her more afraid of lightning so during the particle accelerator incident instead of working in his lab he called his mom to check on her.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
So this is like the third time the show has retconned Barry back into being single? :lol:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Spergatory posted:

The thing that gets me is that Wells Flash offered him a chance to do exactly this at the end of season 1, no strings attached, and he turned it down because he liked the life and friends he had. Thawne seemed genuinely confused that Barry would turn down the chance to undo the damage he did to the timeline-- not in a "curses, you didn't fall for my evil plan!" way, but in a "holy poo poo, I just offered you, my sworn enemy, a golden goose with no strings attached, and you spat in my face! What the gently caress is wrong with you?" kinda way. And then at the end of season 2 he goes back and does it anyway, so it's almost like he didn't do it in season 1 just to be a dick. Not to preserve his relationship with his friends or found family, but just so he could gently caress Thawne over and murder him (and his ancestor!). Jesus, no wonder Thawne hates the guy.

My question is, in the original timeline, Barry became the Flash without his mom getting murdered. Ostensibly, going back and undoing murdermom in the first season would've just restored the original timeline, since Barry had to become the Flash in that timeline for Thawne to hate him. So why did going back in the second season create a third, completely different timeline in which Wally is the Flash and Barry isn't? :psyduck:

I mean, I already know the answer. We all know the answer. But still, I feel like the question should be asked.

[nerd alert] In the original timeline Barry's family wasn't attacked that night and Barry didn't become the Flash until like 2020 if I remember correctly (whenever the particle accelerator explosion was originally going to happen.) No murder, but the more important detail, no attempted murder. Even preventing her murder left the attempt, which means that the police were called in that would have responded to other things that night, insurance claims were filed that didn't exist before, etc, etc.
Obviously the Arrowverse uses a more strict butterfly effect than most shows with time travel. Thrawn!Wells mentions it when Barry changes time both times in season 1. Things that he didn't directly effect were changed because of other, smaller changes. [/nerd alert]

Just ignore all the evidence that doesn't agree with this theory.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well we don't know yet. We just know iris and Joe don't talk. She might very well be with Barry.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

greatn posted:

Well we don't know yet. We just know iris and Joe don't talk. She might very well be with Barry.

In this reality, Thawne sliced Nora into pieces so Henry'd get a way more intense sentence. Joe was first on the scene, and it ruined him psychologically throughout Iris' adolescent years.

So, now she doesn't talk to him, but has super hosed up daddy issues that manifest in super gross sex ways. Barry's dating her, but it's once again a doomed wish on a monkey's paw.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spergatory posted:

I mean, he did lose his dad at the end of last season too.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
That was poo poo.
Lol at all the people bigging up "Flashpoint" since the end of last season and how much effect it was going to have on this show and the others.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Danielle Panabaker is going to be on @Midnight on Monday.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

That was poo poo.
Lol at all the people bigging up "Flashpoint" since the end of last season and how much effect it was going to have on this show and the others.

It changed the only thing this show is about, Barry and Iris.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spergatory posted:

Because Flashpoint is a goddamn terrible plot no matter how it's adapted, there's literally no way to spin "murdering your mom makes you a better hero/person than you were before your mom was murdered" without coming off massively nihilistic, idiotic or both. The very best option available was what they already did at the end of season 1, just don't even bother.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
That hardest thing to believe is that Barry would be able to get with that fine rear end chick in any universe.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

That hardest thing to believe is that Barry would be able to get with that fine rear end chick in any universe.

I'm sorry, what? Have you seen Grant Gustin? I mean, sure, maybe Barry's a little awkward, but Grant was fine as hell before he got ab'd up. The only unrealistic thing is that Iris did not jump on that train sooner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He looks like every 3rd guy on TV.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Spergatory posted:

I'm sorry, what? Have you seen Grant Gustin? I mean, sure, maybe Barry's a little awkward, but Grant was fine as hell before he got ab'd up. The only unrealistic thing is that Iris did not jump on that train sooner.

He is lanky and Candice Patton is capital F fine. You see her in those leather pants?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Ah, I see. You're just biased against tall people. There's nothing wrong with being able to reach high shelves and put stuff on top of the refrigerator. Don't height-shame. :colbert:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

McSpanky posted:

Because Flashpoint is a goddamn terrible plot no matter how it's adapted, there's literally no way to spin "murdering your mom makes you a better hero/person than you were before your mom was murdered" without coming off massively nihilistic, idiotic or both. The very best option available was what they already did at the end of season 1, just don't even bother.

Agreed. Even within the confines of this episode I couldn't get down with Barry just trading his mom's life like that. Maybe I missed something, but it seemed like the worse thing to come from this reality was Barry losing his memories and getting all new ones. Which doesn't really seem that bad when compared to a human life.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Really? Worse looking white dudes do it all the time in real life all the time..

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I just got around to watching this. I pretty much love blonde Reverse Flash, I'm glad he's gonna gently caress up the time stream on the reg for LoT. And Wally was fun for once.

This show would be great if they'd just abandon the unnecessary drama. Parents dead, so what? Go marry Iris, live happily ever after while battling Dr. Alchemy and Abra Kadabra.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The first season did for the most part then they had to go smear angst all over it for some reason. They ratcheted that poo poo up the first episode of season 2 for no reason whatsoever and never stopped.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Flashpoint universe was way better, Barry is a dumb.

That being said I still like this show.

Also "God I wish I could kill you" is a pretty good line

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I did this and I hope you don't hate me for it:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don't think zoom is the correct analogy here.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't think zoom is the correct analogy here.

Yea, if you're looking for someone who ignores the rules, is inappropriate with women, pursues personal vendettas and is willing to enforce the law under his own dictation despite talking about upholding it Barry is the better fit.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

B: "Oh no I can't stop these tornados or whatever"
I: "Barry, I don't know what your timeline's Iris is like, but I have this feeling that she'd give you a pep talk right now."
B: *runs really fast*

Spergatory posted:

Wally turning his back on his super-fast enemy was double-stupid, Barry doing the exact same thing even after he saw Wally get got was triple stupid.
This was such terrible writing. I mean, you don't want heroes to be completely perfect, but writing them as terribly incompetent is not a good thing.

It really was a pretty dumb episode, probably the best thing about it was Thawne. I liked the whole "Am I kidnapped?" exchange with Caitlin too.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
Barry goes back to the night his Mum was killed. Around also were Henry and kid Barry. Barry stops Reverse Flash and saves his Mum's life. Barry takes Reverse Flash back to his present day and locks him up. But for all those years in between Henry, Nora and kid Barry would have been living happily together. So what happened to that Barry who got to grow up with having both his parents around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Same thing that happened to Marty McFly that grew up with parents who weren't losers.

• Locked thread