Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
gently caress!

There'll be no more yard time for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

expensive video carb posted:

gently caress!

There'll be no more yard time for the foreseeable future.

That little poo poo.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
Chickens are the business, I've only got three and feel any day when I get a triple chicken (that's when they all perch on me at once and go to sleep) is a good day.

Unfortunately it's also a good way to check if they have mites.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Chickens are the business, I've only got three and feel any day when I get a triple chicken (that's when they all perch on me at once and go to sleep) is a good day.

Unfortunately it's also a good way to check if they have mites.

We usually check them at night once they're roosted and sleepy. If you find that they do have mites, I can't recommend Adams Flea & Tick Spray enough. Spray all of your chickens, near the vent and under their wings especially. You don't have to soak them, just get the liquid to their skin. Do it once a week or so and you should see good results in a couple of weeks.

You can also spray the roost and their bedding.

We had mites for a while, and all the DE suggestions and Sevin dust did nothing.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Lynza posted:

We usually check them at night once they're roosted and sleepy. If you find that they do have mites, I can't recommend Adams Flea & Tick Spray enough. Spray all of your chickens, near the vent and under their wings especially. You don't have to soak them, just get the liquid to their skin. Do it once a week or so and you should see good results in a couple of weeks.

You can also spray the roost and their bedding.

We had mites for a while, and all the DE suggestions and Sevin dust did nothing.

Ours are spoiled and like cuddles, so I check them when they sit on my knee for a snooze or a preen. Black trousers really show the mites up well, along with mud and poop.

We put fullers earth in their dirt bath holes which supposedly kills the mites on them by breaking the mites skin, and spray the coop with an anti-mite pesticide every few months (the mites generally live in the cracks of the coop and only visit the chicken to feed). Basically whenever I see mites on them or running about in the coop, it seems to be working so far.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check the spray out the stuff we use now is toxic but short lived so we have to lock them out of the coop while it airs for 2 hours when we use it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://i.imgur.com/NqOjBXS.gifv

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

The human equivalent would be being covered in adorable living hamburgers.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
So we acquired a tiny turkey in late July this year:

Our unwanted garbage/emergency companion bantam hen decided to go broody and every time you poke her she flares her tail like it's thanksgiving.

It's a lot of fun to pick her up and listen to the indignant clucking, and put her in random places. Her chicken titties are completely naked, and she'll wiggle them for you if you stick your hand under her and hold for a bit. We don't really miss the bantam eggs, and nobody else so far got infected with the broody bug. But man, it's been over 2 months. I thought this was going to be 21 days. WTF Bob, get it together.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

It's a lot of fun to pick her up and listen to the indignant clucking, and put her in random places. Her chicken titties are completely naked, and she'll wiggle them for you if you stick your hand under her and hold for a bit. We don't really miss the bantam eggs, and nobody else so far got infected with the broody bug. But man, it's been over 2 months. I thought this was going to be 21 days. WTF Bob, get it together.

Haha. Growling broodies are so adorable. Get some video of her fluffing and snarling. :D

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My one bantam, Brassy, has gone into brooding mode like three times this year. You can't even get your fingers under that bitch. It's like picking up a half-buried rock.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

It's a lot of fun to pick her up and listen to the indignant clucking
Look at that thousand yard stare!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

spookygonk posted:

Look at that thousand yard stare!

That bird has seen some poo poo.

Our one broody hen (who has now raised 3 sets of babbies this year!) buk buk buk buk buk buks and does a pretty serviceable stinkeye, but then we move her around and she just puffs up like crazy.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Aww broodies :3 The world needs more pictures of puffed broody hens. Their growling is on my top 10 list of awesome noises, right up there with cat snores and spring breezes.

I'm going to have to take pictures tomorrow; I replaced my beloved Amelia, Rose, and Myrcella with 3 fresh young pullets on the cusp of lay. I now have another Buff Orp, another Easter Egger and a Delaware.

The old ladies are in the freezer, awaiting their final fate as soup. Between the sudden loss of our Australorp, summer heat stress, and now molting, I haven't gotten an egg since... July? They might have laid for a few years more had I given them time, but with such a small coop (and a small budget) I started keeping chickens with the expectation of not having to buy eggs. So I took them up to my family farm and was instructed in butchering and processed two of the three myself. It's really hard to pluck a chicken when you're crying... but I knew from the start I was going to be eating these birds. Processing them myself seemed right.

On the other hand the Easter Egger is the tiniest little pullet and she's ADORABLE. Also flighty. She made it all the way across the street in one jump this afternoon and screamed bloody murder when I grabbed her and hauled her featherbutt back to the yard.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 5, 2016

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Our second round of chickens has reached pullet stage and has been introduced to our lone survivor Robin the Easter Egger. The whole lot of them got along swimmingly. Also, in Robin updates, her butt staples have been removed and she seems happy as a clam to have new friends. She's taken to showing the new girls how to scratch and they seem to have established a good and proper pecking order.

Left: Dazzle the Barred Rock, Top Right: Sassafras (working name) the Golden Buff, Bottom Right: Ruby (working name) the Rhode Island Red

bonus picture

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
We've lost 3 chickens in the last couple weeks, and yesterday we found out what was getting them.

My dad figured it was coyotes, but the chicken that was killed on Sunday was killed on the steps of our deck. No coyote is that ballsy (at least not around here, they don't need to be. It's bunnies and other goodies as far as the eye can see).

Coincidentally, one of our close neighbors recently got a new dog. A young one, some kind of yellow lab.

Welp.

Yesterday we heard the chickens going nuts and ran out to see what was going on. He took off running, my husband chased him down to the end of the driveway, and we thought that was the end of it. There was a big pile of feathers, but no carcass.

About 20 minutes later, the fucker came back to finish the job. The hen he attacked had hidden down in the swamp area where it's nearly impossible to get to from the house. Much horrible chicken screaming ensued, and I got to use my Very Angry Loud Voice. Dog was completely unfazed by it. Firing a rifle also did not faze him (no, I was not shooting at the dog).

He did finally leave, and I figured the chicken was dead. We tromped around in the swamp for half an hour looking, but didn't find any sign of her. We figured he'd eaten her or she was somewhere else.

Turns out she survived, so when we went to count our losses in the coop, there she was. With a 4-inch tear from her side ribs to her vent. It goes down past the fat. She's doing surprisingly well, considering. We've got her in a box so she'll rest and not open the wound up.

Anyway, we're going to have a chat with the neighbors tonight. Because there are a number of neighbors in this area with both chickens AND assault rifles, and they're not going to give any warnings. The dog's just not going to show up one day and that'll be the end of it. Pretty much how it worked last time there was a livestock-killing dog out here.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Lynza posted:

Anyway, we're going to have a chat with the neighbors tonight. Because there are a number of neighbors in this area with both chickens AND assault rifles, and they're not going to give any warnings. The dog's just not going to show up one day and that'll be the end of it. Pretty much how it worked last time there was a livestock-killing dog out here.

That's a drat shame. Sorry about your chickens.

Sounds like that neighbor needs to get rid of that pup. The dog is so young and now knows that chickens are fun to chase and kill -- it will be hard to get the pup to stop when chasing birds is it's natural instinct to do. Even if they fence the dog, it will always be a potential threat if it gets out and starts roaming the neighborhood.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Inveigle posted:

That's a drat shame. Sorry about your chickens.

Sounds like that neighbor needs to get rid of that pup. The dog is so young and now knows that chickens are fun to chase and kill -- it will be hard to get the pup to stop when chasing birds is it's natural instinct to do. Even if they fence the dog, it will always be a potential threat if it gets out and starts roaming the neighborhood.

Yeah, it's hard for me. I absolutely love dogs. Maybe he could go live in the suburbs where everything is fenced and there aren't many chickens or small pets.

It's funny, a couple weeks ago he and their other dog were out at the road by my driveway, and I almost ran him over because he darted in front of me. The dog is.. weird. I didn't know whose dog he was, and there's a history here of people dumping their animals. He had a collar, but no tag. I tried to get him to come to me and he was just weird and skittish. Then suddenly he comes barreling up and licks me and is all excited, then seconds later he starts barking at me and runs away again.

I wouldn't shoot someone's dog if I could help it. But I know that I'm in the minority out here. I haven't been able to get in touch with the neighbors, either. They might be on vacation or something, and they've got a housesitter who doesn't know to keep the dogs in the fence.

But yeah, this dog knows that chickens are 1.) super fun to chase and 2.) tasty, so yikes.

The hen is doing real well! She's eating and drinking and pooping. I think we'll put her back in the coop tonight so she's not getting bumped back down the pecking order too much. All the other chickens are spending the day in the coop until we can talk to the neighbors. They are not amused.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Cross posting from the gif thread:

http://i.imgur.com/SZY6Q5z.mp4

Chicken outta nowhere!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

spookygonk posted:

Cross posting from the gif thread:

http://i.imgur.com/SZY6Q5z.mp4

Chicken outta nowhere!

The guy's double-take just slays me.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Lynza posted:

The hen is doing real well! She's eating and drinking and pooping. I think we'll put her back in the coop tonight so she's not getting bumped back down the pecking order too much. All the other chickens are spending the day in the coop until we can talk to the neighbors. They are not amused.

That's good news.

Spray some antiseptic on the wound and watch for a fever (she'll be hot/shivery/both), as dogs have manky teeth. Be careful of the other chickens going for her with an open wound their inner velociraptor can be a problem. We use a big dog transport crate half covered with a blanket as isolation for the unwell/injured and bring them inside the house (quiet cool room) until they perk up.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I spent a half-hour photographing my neighbors' chickens only for most of the photos to turn out unusable. Here's some of them I thought I'd share:

Wait a minute...these are some weird looking chickens. Must be sick :(:

Bonus non-chickens:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Unperson_47 posted:

Splish splash chickos, not the cluck cluck chickos

shitpostmodern
Oct 30, 2015

Unperson_47 posted:

What kind of duck is this weird droopy looking skinny thing? I must know. :monocle:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

shitpostmodern posted:

What kind of duck is this weird droopy looking skinny thing? I must know. :monocle:

Looks to be an Indian Runner Duck.

shitpostmodern
Oct 30, 2015

Wow thanks, that was fast! I love them, they look like walking bowling pins. I was mostly just curious if the duck was stretching upwards of if that's what they look like, and now my question is answered.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Indian runner ducks are the best :kimchi: They are often found dressed as elegant ladies, which is why my mother thought for a long time that Jemima Puddleduck was an Indian runner:

We had an Indian runner cross who would only E X T E N D D U C K when it was time to run, but otherwise looked like a regular white duck. Indian runners are my favourite type of duck after Muscovies.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

e: splish splash chickos :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Cool photo of a rooster's eyelid. Posted by Flaut on Reddit.

Click on to enlarge.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Inveigle posted:

Cool photo of a rooster's eyelid. Posted by Flaut on Reddit.

Click on to enlarge.

The extra eyelid birds have is pretty cool. My tiny cousin was amazed to discover that chickens blink "sideways" when they get sprayed with water droplets. She wasn't quite old enough to be horrified by it like some other people who first see chickens blinking that way! Cats also have the extra eyelid (google "cat third eyelid") which can pop up when they're injured/sick, sleeping/chilling, or squeezing through small gaps/getting their forehead pulled back for purposes of funny pictures online. Some aquatic or semi-aquatic mammals activate it when they go underwater. In humans, all we usually have left is the little pink bit in the inner corner of our eyes. Yes, that's what that is! Now you know.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
The chicken's main eyelids, like the eyes of most other birds and lots of reptiles, close "up" rather than "down" like in humans. (There are a few exceptions like owls.) It's surprising how many people forget this when drawing or animating birds - but as soon as they add it in, it makes it so much more birdlike.

Personally, my favourite feature of bird eyes is their tiny little feathery eyelashes :kimchi:

e: In other chicken eye related news,

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 14, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
that is ENOUGH of THAT

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I've got my first (probable) coccidiosis case :ohdear: Luckily the affected brooder box only has four chicks in it at the moment so quarantine is simple, but the chick pooing blood is my beloved Desdemona, my one and only Dorking. I've started the brood on a liquid coccidiostat as soon as I saw the red squirt so hopefully it's early enough to save her, she's eating and drinking and being a chirpy pea so that's a good sign. Pray for Desdemona!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
update: desdemona still seems fine, no deterioration since this morning and she's still eating and drinking and being a peepy chee, so i'll keep her on medicated feed and water for the night and clean out the brooder again tomorrow and hopefully that'll be the last of it because coccio apparently kills pretty fast if it's going to be fatal (if it was coccio, the only symptom was bloody stool but better safe than sorry imo.) in other news i have hatched my first maran and almost lost my drat mind because they have feathery legs when they hatch, tiny delicate little golden ankle feathers, i can't handle it

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Avshalom posted:

update: desdemona still seems fine, no deterioration since this morning and she's still eating and drinking and being a peepy chee, so i'll keep her on medicated feed and water for the night and clean out the brooder again tomorrow and hopefully that'll be the last of it because coccio apparently kills pretty fast if it's going to be fatal (if it was coccio, the only symptom was bloody stool but better safe than sorry imo.) in other news i have hatched my first maran and almost lost my drat mind because they have feathery legs when they hatch, tiny delicate little golden ankle feathers, i can't handle it

Great news on Desdemona, need chix pix on the Maran.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Ugh all of my chickens are failures right now. The head barred rock hen is molting like nuts, so she's all bald about the butt, my RIR pullet started laying but on the slanted roof of the nest box, so her eggs literally launch across the coop and break, my rear end in a top hat egg-eating australorp of course loves this situation and has now taken to eating EVERY egg, and my 8 month old ameraucana never even started laying as far as I can tell (WHAT THE HELL).

I had to buy eggs yesterday, how embarrasing :(

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
....and that's why I butchered my last 3 hens. Six months of barely laying was enough. Feathery jerks. :colbert:

If it makes you feel better, it has apparently been a bad year for backyard eggs. Half the people in my facebook city chickens group are whining about how they're not getting eggs because of molting and some haven't gotten any for most of the summer between heat stress, predators and loose feathers everywhere.

My new 3 are settling in. The Delaware is huge and a bitch and has been picking out the EE's tail feathers but there's no blood that I can see and the EE seems fine otherwise, eats and scratches with the bigger girls and is generally a cute little thing :3 She's like half the size of the other two! It's amazing how fast they grow. Buff has started laying, so I expect the Delaware isn't far behind. Fresh eggs again, finally!

I threw them all into an uproar yesterday - first by finding and removing the 3 eggs from the corner of the run where the buff was nesting, and then by tossing armloads of fresh tall grasses into the run for them. Their entire world was changed! They spent half the afternoon muttering about it and the other half picking bugs and seeds out of the grass. :3

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
haha okay here are some feathery baby legs

utterly ridiculous. it's an incredibly cute chick too, weirdly chill and docile for a 24-hour-old - it barely peeps, just looks around curiously

bonus desdemona, who is the most inquisitive and extroverted chick i've ever hatched and i love her. in all three of these photos she's yelling because where is her brooder? where are her siblings? what is happening

i'm trying to get less attached to my poultry because their mortality rate is so high but it's so hard. i know the first step is not naming them, but some of them just demand names

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

from the same chicken. yikes!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Micomicona posted:

The head barred rock hen is molting like nuts, so she's all bald about the but

So, uh, is it normal for a molting hen to... list sideways? Yesterday, the bald girl was walking all crunched down and kept going to the right, like she couldn't walk a straight line. None of my other hens have done this while molting yet, but none of my other hens have ever had such a major molt either. She's eating fine, just hugging the walls of the coop.

I'm hoping she's just favoring one side because it is sore from all the little pinfeathers coming in, but yikes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
I haven't seen that, no. And we've had barred rocks that looked like their butts had been chopped off during molt. Keep an eye on it, best of luck!