Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wizard Styles posted:

If you want to apply for the position of Hammertome Bloviant, we will need a sample of your recent work.

However, as a first test, assume you had a range of reptilian warrior people, harboring some mesoamerican inspirations. You want to re-release this range, formerly known as "Lizardmen", under a new name. Which of the following do you choose, and why:
1. Squamatinsuyo
2. Lizardbros
3. Seraphon
4. Scalecast Forevers
5. Lyzyrd Skynyrd

Trick question, you don't release them at all and release more Stormfront Eternals instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Loxbourne posted:

I really hate to be the guy who tells you this...[/i]

This is awful

Renfield posted:

The kickstarters are shipping, it goes on general release later this month (Hopefully !)

And is called DropFleet Commander.

DropFleet looks good but I thought I typed Homeworld???

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
Spotted at the university I work at.

Age of Skubmar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Please do not abuse opossums, even verbally.

http://m.worldstarhiphop.com/apple/video.php?v=wshhAJ0sqNTm0H26XvX0

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Chill la Chill posted:

Which Star Trek episodes are most like the episode where Picard gives a speech about Data's status as a sentient being? I liked that one.

TNG Season 4, "The Devil's Due," where Picard rolls his eyes at the Devil and argues she's not real, and "The Drumhead," where Stewart has some great monologuing about ethical integrity.

For a good episode that is sort of the inverse of this, where it's the captain making a morally grey stand, DS9's "In the Pale Moonlight."

Also, watch the tribble episodes from the original series and DS9, because they are seriously some fun TV.

It's kind of a shame we didn't get Patrick Stewart as the lead in a courtroom drama, honestly.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ashcans posted:

I tried to rewatch Star Gate a while ago and holy poo poo the first season is so terrible. I didn't even make it through, I just stopped after several episodes. I know it had some good moments in there once it caught its stride but it's amazing that it got the chance.

that was the season when it was on showtime too

after that it got sold off to fox

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

grassy gnoll posted:

TNG Season 4, "The Devil's Due," where Picard rolls his eyes at the Devil and argues she's not real, and "The Drumhead," where Stewart has some great monologuing about ethical integrity.

For a good episode that is sort of the inverse of this, where it's the captain making a morally grey stand, DS9's "In the Pale Moonlight."

Also, watch the tribble episodes from the original series and DS9, because they are seriously some fun TV.

It's kind of a shame we didn't get Patrick Stewart as the lead in a courtroom drama, honestly.

Thank you. I would love to watch a Patrick Stewart courtroom drama. :swoon:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I really dislike the Star Trek aesthetic which is probably why I never got into the show.

Whenever someone talks about how good a Star Trek ship looks I always wonder if they're just grandfathering the entire aesthetic into their tastes out of nostalgia.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xarbala posted:

I really dislike the Star Trek aesthetic which is probably why I never got into the show.

Whenever someone talks about how good a Star Trek ship looks I always wonder if they're just grandfathering the entire aesthetic into their tastes out of nostalgia.

they aren't, they just have different opinions from you

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

they aren't, they just have different opinions from you

I intellectually know that, but it's serious enough culture shock that it never really sank in on a subconscious level so the thought keeps bubbling back up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Though there's people out there who unironically love Duane Loose battlemech designs too, so "frisbee attached to tubes by spindly bits" has to have some genuine admirers.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

grassy gnoll posted:

I think I remember watching a movie where Leonard Nimoy was the lead in a courtroom drama

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Xarbala posted:

Though there's people out there who unironically love Duane Loose battlemech designs too, so "frisbee attached to tubes by spindly bits" has to have some genuine admirers.

Reminder that this article owned. I didn't realize they were all Loose designs until I saw the signatures just now.
http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/battletech-technical-3025/1/

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Reminder that this article owned. I didn't realize they were all Loose designs until I saw the signatures just now.
http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/battletech-technical-3025/1/

Well the Urbie and Awesome were both by Loose so the guy had some good ideas. And you have to respect the audacity of someone deciding to just put a blimp on robot legs.

Much like how even in Star Trek, I have to respect a giant greebled-up cube that gives absolutely no fucks.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

grassy gnoll posted:

Also the episode Chain of Command where Picard is captured as a spy and tortured by David Warner.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Chill la Chill posted:

Thank you. I would love to watch a Patrick Stewart courtroom drama. :swoon:
A couple of years ago Patrick Stewart was touring the US with the Royal Shakespeare Company. I saw him in two roles, as Prospero in The Tempest and as Marc Antony in Antony and Cleopatra. He was loving phenomenal in both.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I'm in the middle of ST:TNG for the first time in my life and half of the time the most enjoyment I get out of this idiot show is telling my wife summaries of how ridiculous some of the plotlines are.

I don't really mind Picard, Data or pre-Alexander Worf episodes, but my god the rest of the crew are awful. McFadden and Burton are just such terrible actors. Burton especially seems to just be LARPing but self-conscious about it.

But after 5 years of slowly getting through it, I'm almost at the point that based on the Chronological guide I get to start watching DS:9 which has been the carrot on the end of the stick.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Wizard Styles posted:

Due to rules or presentation?

Rules. It just never felt like this brutally violent sport that it claimed to be.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

A couple of years ago Patrick Stewart was touring the US with the Royal Shakespeare Company. I saw him in two roles, as Prospero in The Tempest and as Marc Antony in Antony and Cleopatra. He was loving phenomenal in both.
I got to see him and Ian McKellen in Waiting for Godot. This was... March 2014; I was visiting a sister in NYC. Those two are fantastic together. :allears:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Watch Blake's 7.

But start with episode 2.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

moths posted:

I'd say pretty high, at least for some niche figures. Some classic figures command ridiculous secondary market prices, and this might serve to normalize that market. I see a lot of people using old school Fantasy figures in Frostgrave or in RPGs, and I'd be just as excited if I were suddenly able to access the whole back catalog Grenadier or Ral Partha sculpts.

That said, there's no real confirmation of what'll be announced on the 15th. It could start and end with two Grail knights and a Tomb King for all we know.

Iron Wind Metals is actually trying to get the whole Ral Partha range back out.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Watch Blake's 7.

But start with episode 2.

This person understands (although the show gets a lot less consistent in quality after the first series).

And I really wish I could get a decent model of the Liberator.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Xarbala posted:

Well the Urbie and Awesome were both by Loose so the guy had some good ideas. And you have to respect the audacity of someone deciding to just put a blimp on robot legs.

Much like how even in Star Trek, I have to respect a giant greebled-up cube that gives absolutely no fucks.

Well the cube at least makes sense in a lore perspective. The Borg have no reason to care about aesthetics or anything beyond utility and carrying capacity, of course they would drive the Scion XB of spaceships.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
I always found it a missed opportunity for Borg to stick with d6s instead of making ships shaped like a d4, d8, d12 or even a d20.

(d10s would of course be reserved for renegade Borg, because that one is not a platonic solid.)

Wizard Styles posted:

If you want to apply for the position of Hammertome Bloviant, we will need a sample of your recent work.

However, as a first test, assume you had a range of reptilian warrior people, harboring some mesoamerican inspirations. You want to re-release this range, formerly known as "Lizardmen", under a new name. Which of the following do you choose, and why:
1. Squamatinsuyo
2. Lizardbros
3. Seraphon
4. Scalecast Forevers
5. Lyzyrd Skynyrd

6. Take half of GW's Lizardmen heads, glue them onto a Sigmarine body and call them Stormcast Eternal Scalerix. Then take the other half, glue horns onto them, then glue them on a Khorne warrior body, and call them Gorerizard Scalesecretor.

Xarbala posted:

I personally find them more pleasing to look at for extended periods than the typical Standard Human Space Fleet (tm) with with ships build from Lego bricks to vaguely look like bigger Lego bricks or naval battleships / aircraft carriers.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
RE: Trek talk, my favourites would be the Enterprise-A, the Enterprise-E, Voyager, and the Defiant (in roughly that order) in regards designs of the ships.
The -A really is just kinda nifty, while the -E is streamlined, and looks like an arrow shape. Voyager looks a little goofy, like a space duck, but it's kind of okay for all that, and the nacelles move, which I thought was a nice touch. The Defiant is a give no fucks fighter craft writ large, which totally gels with how different DS9 is from everything else as well.

The reboot hull is a design that I've never decided if I thought it was kinda cool, or goofy as poo poo. It's like it tried to mash up the TOS Enterprise, with the -A, and then slap chrome hubcaps on top for reasons.

The -D just looks increasingly bad the more I look at it, which is funny because it has an awesome captain who gets better the more you watch him (read: the first couple seasons of TNG aren't as great as later ones because Roddenberry was pretty much just redoing a lot of his TOS work all over again with new tech).
The -C hull is sort of nice though, and I wish we could have seen more of it. It's like a less goofy -D.

All that aside, I'd still be hard pressed to accuse Star Trek designs of being better than Star Wars, BSG, or Homeworld (although the -E came pretty close, for my money).
Sadly I'd accuse Battletech's aerospace designs of being reasonably worse in most cases than any of the above, as for my money, most of the aerospace I've seen so far largely all ended up being goofier than Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers type stuff. Of course I've mostly just seen the aerospace art for stuff up to 3050 or so, so perhaps newer art may have improved on this.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Fimirach-Noble-and-Warriors-bundle

Are these from some old version of warhammer before my time or is this a brand new race for AoS?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

mcjomar posted:

All that aside, I'd still be hard pressed to accuse Star Trek designs of being better than Star Wars, BSG, or Homeworld (although the -E came pretty close, for my money).
Sadly I'd accuse Battletech's aerospace designs of being reasonably worse in most cases than any of the above, as for my money, most of the aerospace I've seen so far largely all ended up being goofier than Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers type stuff. Of course I've mostly just seen the aerospace art for stuff up to 3050 or so, so perhaps newer art may have improved on this.

Fast forward to the Late Jihad / Early Dark Age (aka the 3080s):

(I think I've controlled the first one in a shmup before.)

Doresh fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 7, 2016

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

by.a.teammate posted:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Fimirach-Noble-and-Warriors-bundle

Are these from some old version of warhammer before my time or is this a brand new race for AoS?

my god they did it the fimir are back to rape their way through the realm gate spheres of wonder or whatever the gently caress I don't even know

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Devlan Mud posted:

my god they did it the fimir are back to rape their way through the realm gate spheres of wonder or whatever the gently caress I don't even know

Coming soon: HeroQuest - The Golden Castle.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
And whoever said they'd gently caress up a name they could already own was spot on.

I guess just the noble has a new name but it's both dumb and unnecessary.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

And whoever said they'd gently caress up a name they could already own was spot on.

I guess just the noble has a new name but it's both dumb and unnecessary.

TBH The Fimir have always had dumb names for their castes and troops so Fimirach isn't bad compared with Fianna Fimm, Dirach or Meargh.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
GW is bad and dumb

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Zark the Damned posted:

TBH The Fimir have always had dumb names for their castes and troops so Fimirach isn't bad compared with Fianna Fimm, Dirach or Meargh.

I'll set my indignation aside them. I didn't realize they had dumb caste names before this.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Iron Wind Metals is actually trying to get the whole Ral Partha range back out.

poo poo, I would pay something approaching GW prices for the old 15mm Battlesystem stuff.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

moths posted:

poo poo, I would pay something approaching GW prices for the old 15mm Battlesystem stuff.

I think they're focused primarily on 28mm for their Chaos Wars range.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Zark the Damned posted:

Fimirach
Fimiroch
Fimiruch
Fimircast
Fimirsecrator

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Fimireich, to draw in the 40k crowd?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mcjomar posted:

BT's aerospace and ships are incredibly dumb and generally terrible until only very, very recently. Both aesthetically and mechanically. I name checked BT because if I was going to talk about something that I felt looked incredibly goofy, I may as well say exactly what kind of goofy I mean. Both BT and Trek look intensely goofy to my eyes but the only difference is one's a grungy, dirty goofy while the other's a sleek and futurist goofy. I love BT but I can't say most of its art objectively good, in a technical sense, and on a design level a lot of the universe can most positively be described as "characterful." I can call Trek's art design good, in that it does exactly what it means to and is executed competently when given a budget, but I find its aesthetic extremely unappealing in a way that Space 80's American Giant Robot Doodles don't. Almost like they're in an uncanny valley of proto-Apple design.

In terms of pure artistic sensibilities I'll say I find Star Wars much more pleasing to the eye than either. But that's unsurprising since SW has had some pretty great art design over the years.

As far as weird-looking sci-fi ships go, I guess the design elements of Trek ships (mostly Federation, since they're front and center, that and more effort seems put into Federation ships than those of other cultures or countries) are both too goofy and yet too disparate for my tastes. For weird stuff I do like, I'd have to point to Chris Foss' work.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
BT is also a bit inconsistent on the art department. There have been a quite a few artists over the years with distinct styles. The exact same 'Mech can look radically different depending on who drew it, being anywhere from goofy to badass. The video games also dent to tweak designs, especially MWO.

Iceclaw posted:

Fimireich, to draw in the 40k crowd?

Fimireich Soldner of Kriegstadt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Doresh posted:

BT is also a bit inconsistent on the art department. There have been a quite a few artists over the years with distinct styles. The exact same 'Mech can look radicially different depending on who drew it.

Oh I'm quite aware

• Locked thread