Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You're arguing with Bravest of the Lamps.

You should've known what you were getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The magic was always bad. The shallow mystique of religiously-derived superpowers was always dumb. The Force was always a crappy plot-device.

You see it's actually better that Vamp is full of nanomachines and The End and The Pain are covered in parasites.

Not to say there aren't problems with the Force from the beginning but I think that stems mostly from the black and white nature of the force than its mystical and mysterious nature.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"the problem i have with these internet critics is that their analysis is too shallow, also RELIGION IS POOPY"

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That dudes a dweeb but you, the people arguing with him, might actually be morons.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

That dudes a dweeb but you, the people arguing with him, might actually be morons.

why do you do nothing but half-heartedly snipe at people who are sick of reading half-baked philosophizing staged as "film criticism"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What do you call 1,000 internet film critics at the bottom of the ocean? A GOOD START.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

What do you call 1,000 internet film critics at the bottom of the ocean? A GOOD START.

Sounds like a plan to me. Can game critics (reviewers) join them?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Alaois posted:

why do you do nothing but half-heartedly snipe at people who are sick of reading half-baked philosophizing staged as "film criticism"

the most galling thing is his assertion that other people's criticism is somehow worthless so I guess we're to assume he's The One True Critic

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

cat doter posted:

the most galling thing is his assertion that other people's criticism is somehow worthless so I guess we're to assume he's The One True Critic

No no, it's just those other "internet critics", who use the Wrong Criticism to reinforce their own beliefs that are only their beliefs because of Fandom.

Ignoring that his main hangout is a loving pit of despair who's entire first page is nothing but genre trash and action movies for teenage boys.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Augus posted:

There's this one really bad edit in the movie that I can't help noticing whenever I watch it, it's during the firefight in the prison area. RLM pointed it out too in their commentary track for A New Hope.

I think I know the one you are talking about. Are you referring to the first firefight where they destroy the cameras and intercoms, or the second where they escape into the compactor? If it's the former then I know exactly what you mean.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Alaois posted:

No no, it's just those other "internet critics", who use the Wrong Criticism to reinforce their own beliefs that are only their beliefs because of Fandom.

Ignoring that his main hangout is a loving pit of despair who's entire first page is nothing but genre trash and action movies for teenage boys.

he's like the armond white of this thread, but stupider

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

Why not

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Everybody's getting so combative, why don't we all just stop for a minute and enjoy a drink?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think I know the one you are talking about. Are you referring to the first firefight where they destroy the cameras and intercoms, or the second where they escape into the compactor? If it's the former then I know exactly what you mean.

The former, I think it was Han standing in a hallway holding his blaster and then it cuts to a different take of the same shot and Han very noticeably jumps into a different position.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I like Brad Jones's Cinema Snob reviews of old horror movies.

Well, that's my opinion. Thank you.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Alaois posted:

And why do you like so many people on this forum constantly look for reasons to belittle and insult people, and usually about something as generally banal, idiotic, and pointless as pop culture entertainment media? It seems like Goons are less interested in discussing things with others or that whole humor thing the site is supposed to be about and more interested in finding someone to curse at, especially if they can do it with others in a massive dogpile of douchebag.

It's not like yelling at people is magically gonna make them start agreeing with the yeller's viewpoint. It tends to cause the opposite for good reasons. It's really sad to see it in this thread because it's about media reviewers, many of which are putting lots of time and effort to make a living covering this stuff so they don't have to get a proper soul crushing job like most of us have.

It's just stuff for crying out loud.

Anyhow if nothing else Star Wars helped create the greatest arcade game of all time that shares it's name and has never played properly in the home because the cabinet and controller and vector monitor were all things of beauty. Especially the sit down version. I am glad I haven't seen one IRL in years because I would probably catch some disease as I would probably hug, hump, lick, and fondle the machine in all it's 30+ year old glory, also making a complete rear end out of myself.

(It would almost be worth it though. :3: )

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

I'm gonna be sick.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Well, I have now skim read my way back through this thread and I'm not going to add anything except to say that I really liked your Foodfight review, Dstecks! I've seen/listened to a few foodfight reviews before and you had a different perspective/expression of your opinion that I thought was great.

DStecks posted:

EDIT: I don't always snype, but when I do, it's usually probably-incorrect speculation, so enjoy this nugget from my comment section:

Can't quote it because of the way the SA quote section works but I love how you being bi is allegedly so ~*freakydeaky*~ that of COURSE you'll identify with niche fetishes and think that cartoon characters' ages don't mean anything in the context of finding them sexually attractive.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Infamous Sphere posted:

Can't quote it because of the way the SA quote section works but I love how you being bi is allegedly so ~*freakydeaky*~ that of COURSE you'll identify with niche fetishes and think that cartoon characters' ages don't mean anything in the context of finding them sexually attractive.

As a massivly perverted pan dude, I am simultaneously thrilled to find out that Dstecks is bi and incredibly depressed about this other guy's assumptions about what that entails.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Watching TB's podcast thing and man, does he look bad. I've got respect for him for still doing what he's doing despite the cancer and the chemo therapy.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Well, I have now skim read my way back through this thread and I'm not going to add anything except to say that I really liked your Foodfight review, Dstecks! I've seen/listened to a few foodfight reviews before and you had a different perspective/expression of your opinion that I thought was great.

Thanks! :)

And I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt that he just assumed that being bi would make me more "enlightened", not that he thinks being a bi dude is inherently kinky.

prahanormal posted:

As a massivly perverted pan dude, I am simultaneously thrilled to find out that Dstecks is bi and incredibly depressed about this other guy's assumptions about what that entails.

Sorry buddy, I'm taken.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

DStecks posted:

Sorry buddy, I'm taken.

Aww c'mon, doncha know being bi means polygamy is the only option. :wink:

(I'm kidding, I'm just always glad to find other openly bi/pan dudes. We're a rare breed it seems.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Archer666 posted:

Watching TB's podcast thing and man, does he look bad. I've got respect for him for still doing what he's doing despite the cancer and the chemo therapy.

Is he for sure going to die? Jesus.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah. His cancer is terminal and the doctors gave him a few years. According to his twitter, his treatment seems to be working and his tumor is shrinking... but with cancer, who knows.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jack Gladney posted:

At one point his cancer was definitely considered terminal but apparently he's had some minor improvements since then, according to his wikipedia page. Here's hoping.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Alaois posted:

why dont you stop reading it if it upsets you so much

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

why dont you stop reading it if it upsets you so much

because he continues to post here!!!!!!!!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Well yes, some day we all will.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
300 million years into the future, as the stubborn Earth Confederacy, last holdouts of the anti-spacefaring peoples, faces down a massive sun in its dying throes.

They will enact the final rite, and bring forth the sacrifice. In a final bid to slow the ravages of their god, Sol, they launch the only remaining 4k Blu-ray of FoodFight! into his maw.

Their god lurches, and then becomes the greatest black hole of hatred in a glorious display that ends the universe itself in a blinding flash of compression as dark energy is overcome, it's powers naught before the chip faced star.

The beginning rings anew.

15 billion years later, on a new rocky planet, in a new universe. A life form decides one day to make a movie, a large scale blockbuster commercial, but something stirs within him, and he decides against it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Playstation 4 posted:

15 billion years later, on a new rocky planet, in a new universe. A life form decides one day to make a movie, a large scale blockbuster commercial, but something stirs within him, and he decides against it.

Star Citizen will still not be released.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Well that just went without saying.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think he's been mentioned in this thread before, but I absolutely adore John Bois' Pretty Good stuff. They're amazing tales, in general, and the most recent account of a 1916 football game between Georgia Tech and Cumberland College is flatout amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I realized something. Both plinkett and
the ring theory nobs missed a point Carrie fisher made in 1997, and kkall made recently. Star wars borrows from everything and is entrenched in film lore and culture, so to say that star wars borrows from itself with visual references is to say it borrows from filmmaking in general.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Dragonatrix posted:

I think he's been mentioned in this thread before, but I absolutely adore John Bois' Pretty Good stuff. They're amazing tales, in general, and the most recent account of a 1916 football game between Georgia Tech and Cumberland College is flatout amazing.

Holy poo poo pro click.

This is incredible, hilarious, and outright horrifying. Perfect for Halloween.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alacron posted:

Holy poo poo pro click.

This is incredible, hilarious, and outright horrifying. Perfect for Halloween.

The Heissman twist/reveal. :aaa:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

prahanormal posted:

Aww c'mon, doncha know being bi means polygamy is the only option. :wink:

(I'm kidding, I'm just always glad to find other openly bi/pan dudes. We're a rare breed it seems.)

I'm glad to hear of openly bi/pan dudes too! Not that I'm one myself, but they're a very unrepresented minority in queer media because of stigma, biphobia etc. I'm always on the hunt for all kinds of representation, but bi male representation especially, *because* it's so rare (as is trans male representation - while men tend to be represented in media far more than women, bi men and trans men are the exception. You're far more likely to see bi women and trans women - which is also great representation, but definitely easier to find.)
I once saw an Autostraddle article where somebody was making a dumb argument that representation of trans men was no different to representation of cis men and people shouldn't be bothering to make an effort to represent trans men, whereas trans women needed more representation, and I was like "ok, I'm not disagreeing with you RE representation of trans women but....wtf? Trans guys aren't cis guys and there are only about 3 trans male characters I can think of off the top of my head and one of them is a real life victim of a hate crime. "

:|

Anyway. Sorry for rambling but it's kind of my show's topic so..

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
hopefully this isn't the completely wrong place, but I've really struggled to find a place where I can get good youtube subscription recommendations. I see a few scant PYF threads from years ago, and I don't really wanna start my own just to get recs. I didn't expect to find this thread in the podcast section, but what with most of the stuff you guys discuss there seems to be major crossover.

Obviously I'm aware of like, RLM, not a huge fan of them lately but I won't get into that since I'm sure there's enough asinine RLM discussion around SA. I'll check out some more of the names in the OP but I was wondering if people had some faves. I was surprised how hard it was to find good youtube channels, Google just provides the Usual Suspects provided by Reddit and Top X Lists and they're usually too internet nerd culture/meme-y for me or just like two minute vids or stupid attempts to convey profound knowledge on history/science/technology/media in like 60 seconds by laypeople (kinda hoping for at least longer than five minutes).
On the other hand straight up lectures ain't great cuz I can just listen do 99% of those pure audio, no point with YouTubing it unless they're actually something to look at.
Don't really wanna hear some dude analyzing rap songs for the youtube crowd, and Every Frame a Picture or whatever seems to be at the border where it's just a bit too...basic. Maybe I need to give it another chance though, I haven't seen a lot of his vids, I just don't really think I'm interested in seeing analysis of Marvel movie music or basic rear end poo poo like Jackie Chan and Edgar Wright analysis (nothing against those but they wouldn't really be grabbing my attention with new info/takes, like I don't think whatever he has to say about David Fincher or Spielberg is gonna be fresh enough for me to remain interested, seems like a lot of well-worn topics and movies). I'm about to check out oancitizen.

BstucThaPoet's Game of Thrones vids are the best, and obviously I'm aware of SA-related people like...well, Lowtax and Salvia Erik and the various LPers of the world (not so much into Let's Plays). Tried a little Nerdwriter1 and it seemed like he was usually okay though I'm usually hoping for more indepth or longer pieces and I don't really enjoy when he clearly gets out of his knowledge comfort zone so to speak... and I really enjoyed Canal Educatif à la Demande's Art Sleuth videos. Night Mind's okay as entertainment as long as you accept his already well-discussed flaws.

I was honestly hoping to find some insightful and entertaining channels...even if it's media that I'm not normally a huge fan of or know much about (actually that's usually all the better), I enjoy an articulate analysis. Like I'm not much of a gamer, but I've enjoyed Superbunnyhop's channel a hell of a lot just because he's usually articulate and interesting.
I really like CaspianReport but that's probably not really fitting the topic of this thread...

I don't really like channels where it's clearly some dude with a big overblown gimmicky personality that dominates the channel (all those various dudes famous for talking fast or being hyperbolic and pleasing the YouTube audience with loud noises and gesticulations or known as The Guy Who Does X or MovieLoverChick), or where it's a dude like CPG Grey where it just feels too...entry-level.
Which is why most of the usual suspects you get in Reddit/internet lists tend to turn me off. I was hoping for lesser subscribed gems that goons might be able to pass on, not necessarily out of any hipsterism, I just find that some of my favorite most understated channels don't usually end up being the dude with a million subs. Sorry if this came off as too picky/snotty, I just wanted to be as specific as possible and maybe sound out some faves people have.

also preferably I'm not looking at anybody's face for a majority of a video. all these fools are ugly

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 8, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phelan's got a new video about a Halloween episode of the Ghostbusters cartoon, and I am always so charmed by his love for Lorenzo Music. I too will always love that man's voice. It's just perfect and calm and comfortable and everything.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Sorry if this came off as too picky/snotty, I just wanted to be as specific as possible and maybe sound out some faves people have.

I'm not entirely sure what you want, and I think maybe internet reviews might not be for you. Which is fine, maybe you want to read some film criticism and essays? I would have recommended The Dissolve but it's defunct, so I'd say Consequence of Sound and Bright Wall, Dark Room.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

also preferably I'm not looking at anybody's face for a majority of a video. all these fools are ugly

Oh ok thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was just being facetious I dont really like the ones where its just a person facing and talking into a camera for the whole vid
Everybodys a critic

• Locked thread