Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

All I can really muster in reaction is :stare:

loving called it.

At least the format they're proposing is less poo poo than how the Euros did it. A one match playoff leading into a 32-team group stage at least wouldn't dilute the matches afterwards by letting third place teams qualify or expanding the groups.

I have to ask though, don't a lot of qualification systems already have playoffs at the end of their qualification campaigns? So isn't this basically just taking the final round of qualification, putting it in the host country, and calling it part of the World Cup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

From what I can work out there would still be playoffs in qualification in the regional confeds but this would be a free for all playoff stage that you would think would favour the Euro and South American teams that wouldn't be tied into regions. The sponsors and tv companies would hate it. Plus in general it would prove an absolute logistical nightmare for teams and police alike.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Skinty McEdger posted:

Plus in general it would prove an absolute logistical nightmare for teams and police alike.

Would it?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

jyrka posted:

Would it?

As the fixtures for the world cup are normally set up months in advance it in theory gives time for the police and local authorities to allocate resources as necessary to what could be trouble hotspots. Throwing in another round with all the variables in fixtures that could throw up and then in turn you're causing more problems for the authorities to have to deal with with a shorter time span to do so in.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Skinty McEdger posted:

As the fixtures for the world cup are normally set up months in advance it in theory gives time for the police and local authorities to allocate resources as necessary to what could be trouble hotspots. Throwing in another round with all the variables in fixtures that could throw up and then in turn you're causing more problems for the authorities to have to deal with with a shorter time span to do so in.

Ok cool. I'm sure they could figure it out.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Looking forward to seeing how Scotland fail to qualify for a 48 team world cup

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
http://www.espnfc.us/blog/uefa/258/post/2966692/fifa-president-gianni-infantino-may-face-new-ethics-committee-investigation

ESPN FC posted:

FIFA president Gianni Infantino could find himself under investigation by the organisation's Ethics Committee for the second time during his eight-month tenure over his role in a loan to the Slovenian Football Association (NZS) made during his previous position as UEFA general secretary, sources have told ESPN FC.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-sport-leaders-concacaf-idUSKCN12512M

quote:

CONCACAF could change its name to create a new brand image and distance itself from a "toxic" past, the president of the body that governs soccer in North and Central America and the Caribbean said on Wednesday.

"We're going to go through an exhaustive process in terms of both brand, just the logo itself, and if you are going to look at the logo you might as well look at the name as well," Victor Montagliani told Reuters.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Tell the Carribean to gently caress off and join Oceania, problem solved

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

It would solve a lot of issues. Except then we'd be like 6 countries.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Chuck out all of the teams that have never qualified for a World Cup, keep the rest.

USA
Canada
Mexico
Jamaica
Trinidad and Tobago
Honduras
Costa Rica
Haiti
Cuba
El Salvador

10 teams, 2.5, maybe 3 World Cup spots.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Shrapnig posted:

Chuck out all of the teams that have never qualified for a World Cup, keep the rest.

USA
Canada
Mexico
Jamaica
Trinidad and Tobago
Honduras
Costa Rica
Haiti
Cuba
El Salvador

Make it happen Uncle Vic

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Shrapnig posted:

USA
Canada
Mexico
Jamaica
Trinidad and Tobago
Honduras
Costa Rica
Haiti
Cuba
El Salvador

Usa and mexico need to gently caress off like australia did so some other countries have a legitimate chance

Haha who am i kidding even then Canada wouldn't qualify

:smith:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

stab posted:

Usa and mexico need to gently caress off like australia did so some other countries have a legitimate chance

Haha who am i kidding even then Canada wouldn't qualify

:smith:

Australia hosed off out of Oceania so we could qualify for the World Cup, not the other way around

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Wait. Canada has qualified for a World Cup? Do they know?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Shrapnig posted:

USA
Canada
Mexico
Jamaica
Trinidad and Tobago
Honduras
Costa Rica
Haiti
Cuba
El Salvador

A single spot would suffice.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

1986. They have an Olympic gold too.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
All the carribbean islands should come together and make a west indies national team, then merge north and south america concacafmebol

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Bobby Digital posted:

1986. They have an Olympic gold too.

And a gold cup!

Heh

Hehehehe

:unsmith:

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Only too well

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
CONCACAF is toxic. UEFA supremacy

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Still salty about that US/Portugal game I see.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Still salty about that US/Portugal game I see.

How many Euros have the US won?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

'18 and '45

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

ephex posted:

'18 and '45

Beating Germany doesn't make you a Euros winner, it just makes you France.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Also those were World Wars.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

drat. You would have been the richest person in Rome sitting on that mountain of salt.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
he looked back at Sodom

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Same number as England

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

ephex posted:

'18 and '45

Nah, they weren't allowed onto the pitch as they'd missed the kickoff by a few years.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

this! UEFA supremacy!!!!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It really is the best conference

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
FIFA charged with complicity in human rights violations Qatar

The world football association FIFA is being charged with complicity in human rights violations in Qatar. The plaintiffs, a duped migrant worker from Bangladesh and the Dutch union FNV, say that FIFA made a mistake by granting the World Cup 2022 to a country that structurally exploits workers. They demand that FIFA uses its influence to have Qatar amend the law and also want compensation for the worker in question.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/sport/fifa-charged-with-complicity-in-human-rights-violations-qatar~a4392409/

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Canada has one of the worst World Cup records of any country to ever qualify. Three games played, three games lost, five goals conceded, zero goals scored.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Breaking news: it's not a good idea to hold a sport competition in the desert

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/oct/10/doha-road-world-championships-heat-anouska-koster

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
One of the riders passed out during the event and crashed into the barriers. Also they didn't have enough medical support at the end so you had people collapsed on the ground waiting 20+ minutes for ambulances.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Don't worry! Qatar is building artificial clouds that will shelter the players and fans from the heat. They've got it all figured out!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Weaponized Cum posted:

Don't worry! Qatar is building artificial clouds that will shelter the players and fans from the heat. They've got it all figured out!

Don't forget the special air conditioning technology.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Qatar 2022 is gonna be a lot of fun :D

quote:

Alcohol will only be allowed in “far-away places,” said the secretary-general of the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy Al-Thawadi in an interview with Arabic language newspaper Al-Sharq, without clarifying further.

“There will be no alcohol consumption on the streets, squares and public places and that is final,” he said, according to Agence France-Presse.

http://time.com/4563570/qatar-fifa-2022-alcohol-ban/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Man 94
Jun 11, 2003
Fans will also be in far-away places, ie. at home.