Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

battlepigeon posted:

Another good release lately is the debut album from Sumerlands...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02E7oU4039E

It is yet another band with Phil Swanson on vocals, but his vocal style really fits the sound of this band.

This is some good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

To Battle posted:

B standard is what most doom bands use I believe. Drop A is usually brutal death metal, but any tuning could be used for anything really.

I remember reading that Demilich used to tune to A.

MrBling posted:

If you've ever wondered how Celtic Frost would have sounded if they had been from Illinois rather than Switzerland, well here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2UvZKi8JHw

This is cool

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Meshuggah's bass is generally in the same register as the guitars because the latter are so low that trying to go a further octave below just isn't feasible sonically, thats a big part of the character of their sound and why it crushes so hard. Its a cool way of doing things, almost orchestral using different instruments in the same register/voicing (terms may not be correct there)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Everyone saying good things about this new Meshuggah. Really excited to listen it, Koloss was freaking amazing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
it sounds exactly like every other meshuggah album

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
good

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ulio posted:

Everyone saying good things about this new Meshuggah. Really excited to listen it, Koloss was freaking amazing.

I can't loving wait to hear it tomorrow. I'll be waking up to the hurricane slamming directly into us and there couldn't be a more perfect soundtrack.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
someone mentioned in t he metalcore thread but protest the hero's kezia just got a 10th anniversary remaster and it's really good if you were a fan the first time around

Grindcore ASMR
Nov 28, 2015

Was really excited to hear the new Meshuggah, and it didn't disappoint. Tons of great riffs and drumming, the live recording vibe definitely feels energetic, I love the production, and it has a lot of cool creative rhythms and an overall vibe that feels like Chaosphere to me, my favourite album of theirs.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Chaosphere is indeed my favorite as well

Cool album, definately better than koloss...i just didn't like how they released the best two songs of the album as teasers prior to the official release. The title song was the only *new* song that blew my mind as i went through the whole album, and that kinda sucked

in other words gently caress you nuclear blast for urging my favorite bands to create albums with filler songs, and then releasing the best songs prior to their album's official release

Violent Sleep of Reason is a monster of a song though, as are Nostrum and Born in Dissonance. I should give this album a few more spins

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Listening to the new Meshuggah this morning on my way to work. Up to the title track now and so far it all sounds like Meshuggah and I love it because I love Meshuggah.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Nurel posted:

i just didn't like how they released the best two songs of the album as teasers prior to the official release. The title song was the only *new* song that blew my mind as i went through the whole album, and that kinda sucked

in other words gently caress you nuclear blast for urging my favorite bands to create albums with filler songs, and then releasing the best songs prior to their album's official release

This is why I've made it a personal rule for the most part to not listen to new singles teasers. I much prefer going in not really knowing anything and just let the record do its job. I feel like I'm spoiling it for myself if I listen to new songs that are from other bands who are not my friends.

It feels like 1997 all over again!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

wisdom

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I did not listen to any prerelease teasers or anything, going into this fresh

Up to Ivory Tower at the moment. I'm enjoying myself, but nothing is grabbing me. Which isn't saying anything, really; I'm at work so I can't focus on what I'm listening to too much, and my headset is open-air, so I can only listen to this at half-volumn. Plus, a lot of music takes me a few listens for me to "get". (Most recently, I was pretty lukewarm on Metallica's 'Hardwired' when I first heard it. Now, I'm wondering if it is the best track they have released in the last 20 years.)

Metal Sucks gave it a perfect score. Other reviews pretty much all say "it's more of the same, but it's Meshuggah, so that's a good thing".

edit: Oh yeah, seeing them Monday in Orlando.

Revol fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 7, 2016

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Just got my hands on a couple of tickets for Hellfest 2017 in France. I hope the rumours about the soon to be anounced headliners are false (Linkin Park, Aerosmith and Prophets of Rage). Not that I care that much about the headliners but I rather see Guns 'n Roses or System of a down which I somehow expected. Prophets is cool though as I love ratm and never saw them live.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Here, have some cool 80s metal with cool 80s cover art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIHQZvZYsMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX13rhsD02A

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

I'm sure you have heard of these guys, personally my favorite album art.

https://youtu.be/i9pRpy4jbLI

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Klaaz posted:

Just got my hands on a couple of tickets for Hellfest 2017 in France. I hope the rumours about the soon to be anounced headliners are false (Linkin Park, Aerosmith and Prophets of Rage). Not that I care that much about the headliners but I rather see Guns 'n Roses or System of a down which I somehow expected. Prophets is cool though as I love ratm and never saw them live.

Prophets release didn't live up to RATM standards from the songs I heard

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8orcKH_SHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzqpcHlSnTg

Just posting these b.c. I really enjoy this recording and I think it's Urfaust's best sounding release. The open feeling of the live recording does a lot of good for them.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

Prophets release didn't live up to RATM standards from the songs I heard

Yeah, I know..still the only change to see RATM sort of as It looks like they won't be getting back with Zack anytime soon.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

it sounds exactly like every other meshuggah album

I dunno man...stuff like "By the Ton" is kind of different for them. This album is a real improvement over Koloss.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
How's Vektor live? I discovered another metal venue here in San Diego and they're playing there next month. Are they late show on a work day good? I've only really listened to Terminal Redux.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

joem83 posted:

How's Vektor live? I discovered another metal venue here in San Diego and they're playing there next month. Are they late show on a work day good? I've only really listened to Terminal Redux.

They're solid. Definitely worth seeing if you can manage it but not going to blow your mind. Also listen to their other two albums.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're solid. Definitely worth seeing if you can manage it but not going to blow your mind. Also listen to their other two albums.

Idk man, they're probably the tightest live band I've ever seen. And yah the other guy should listen 2 all their albums, Vektor rules.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're also a young band on a hot streak and will probably come through again, though I don't know how often San Diego gets metal shows.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

They're also a young band on a hot streak and will probably come through again, though I don't know how often San Diego gets metal shows.

We actually get a ton! We have a venue that does pretty much nothing but metal (http://brickbybrick.ticketfly.com/) and there are several others that will have various types of metal. I think I'll take the advice and go, it's on a Thursday at least. The other two acts I'm thinking about going to see are Ulcerate (on a Monday, ugh) and Demilich/Hooded Menace on a Tuesday.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Vektor is real cool live and I was too mesmerized watching them shred to even headbang that much. If I see them again I'm definitely starting a pit

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

joem83 posted:

I enjoyed the gently caress out of them live

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Klaaz posted:

Aerosmith were there in 2014, so probably not. Sadly, Linkin Park ate possible. Same with system of a down, another poo poo band.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vektor owns real hard live.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

joem83 posted:

We actually get a ton! We have a venue that does pretty much nothing but metal (http://brickbybrick.ticketfly.com/) and there are several others that will have various types of metal. I think I'll take the advice and go, it's on a Thursday at least. The other two acts I'm thinking about going to see are Ulcerate (on a Monday, ugh) and Demilich/Hooded Menace on a Tuesday.

All those shows sound extremely good, you're in for a treat my dude.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i had the pleasure of seeing demilich at MDF and they are really good live

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i had the pleasure of seeing demilich at MDF and they are really good live

Agreed. That whole lineup was incredibly strong.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gorguts crushed it tonight. Good mix of new and old, with motherfucking Orphans of Sickness to close. Intronaut were good as always but they played almost exactly the same set as on the BtBaM tour and I miss their old sound.

A very goofy sounding band called Brain Tentacles opened. Think Blotted Science but with a saxophone instead of a guitar and you're on the right track. Apparently Dave Witte (of many bands including Municipal Waste and Discordance Axis) was their drummer.

Also some dude got taken away by security during Obscura because, from what I could tell, he went into the pit with a full beer and just started splashing people with it.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 9, 2016

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
really vibing with the new Alcest album, i haven't been able to get into any of their material since Ecailles de Lune but this new one is bumpin

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Gorguts crushed it tonight. Good mix of new and old, with motherfucking Orphans of Sickness to close. Intronaut were good as always but they played almost exactly the same set as on the BtBaM tour and I miss their old sound.

A very goofy sounding band called Brain Tentacles opened. Think Blotted Science but with a saxophone instead of a guitar and you're on the right track. Apparently Dave Witte (of many bands including Municipal Waste and Discordance Axis) was their drummer.

Also some dude got taken away by security during Obscura because, from what I could tell, he went into the pit with a full beer and just started splashing people with it.

I'm so excited for this tour I can barely contain myself. I think I'm gonna see them twice in a row. I remember at MDF a few years ago they played Orphans of Sickness and From Wisdom to Hate, and I had a dang moment, dude.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hulk Krogan posted:

Vektor owns real hard live.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In case anyone hasn't seen it:

http://www.wokv.com/news/news/national/florida-man-holds-american-flag-blasts-slayer-duri/nsnXN/

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
This Allegaeon cover of Rush's Subdivisions is so good http://www.metalinjection.net/video/allegaeon-covers-rushs-subdivisions-and-stays-true-to-the-prog-gods

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

I really like that whole album. I'm going to drive to OKC to see them with Battlecross since it's the closest show to me on my days off.

I think I'll have ended up seeing Battlecross 3 times this year by the time it's all said and done. I have never actually set out to see Battlecross specifically either, they're just always playing with other bands I really want to see. I have enjoyed them, though.