Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Pro Tip: Turn on Simulation driving in the settings for Mafia 2 style cars, I've been driving with a controller sometimes (if the drive is like more than a kilometer/40 seconds away and it feels [i]so]/i] good.

H is holster weapon, I is batman/vietnam vision, C is carhorn, Shift is look backwards, V is change camera in car. Ctrl is cover, you can switch cover by pressing the direction first then tapping Ctrl to swap from one side of the door to another etc. Vaulting/climbing is spacebar, obviously.

',' changes radio station, '.' turns radio off.

Edit: Holy poo poo, the Samson Duke ('68 Chevvy Corvette) is amazing, perfect for drifting and burnouts.

Edit 2: 'Pray on the way up' :stonklol:

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

games cool. only glitch i had happen is a floating dixie who was pistol whipping me when i was vaulting over a fence. cant wait for the fps patch to come out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I had a hard crash to desktop after a cut scene, and then one cut scene get stuck in a loop where it was just re-playing itself over and over again, which I fixed by hitting skip. But for the crash it saved right after the cut scene anyway so no big deal, and the other one was more weird and funny than annoying.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

xPanda posted:

Anyone else getting this on keyboard? Really not interested in using a controller.
I saw something kind of similar. I rebound my keys to use ESDF like I've done for almost every game since 99 and I eventually had to give up and use a controller.

The game would recognize that I rebound the interact key to R and show it on screen for my action, but pressing it got no response at all. When I tried to pick up a controller and use that the hint changed to the X icon and would start to show the animation around the icon like it was going to do the action. But it never would, it'd get to like 90% done on the progress meter around the icon and then reset. I could never open the door in the very first mission until I reset my keybinds.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm already pretty bored since there's so little variety and I just got to the part where all three leaders come together and now I'm targeting like 10 more people after raising my notoriety and getting like 10 people out of hiding already. I really hope the game changes up a fair bit because I don't want to do another 10 hours of the same thing.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 7, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only thing i saw was a video saying that you kill one of the leaders if you piss them off too much.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I'm only a couple of hours in now and about to mess with the Dixie Mafia at the cinema, and so far so good. Presentation of the story has been great, music has been great, the driving has been great. Did have one CTD just after the end of cutscene in the soup kitchen but otherwise no dramas. I think the cover system could do some work, especially when transitioning to a new position ( I've been spoiled by games that do it better, like The Division ), and visually the game can look a bit murky at times - a lot of that I think is due to the dynamic lighting system ( especially around sunrise & sunset ), ending up with things like car surfaces looking flat and poorly textured instead of shiny and reflective.

That said, I'm loving just cruising through the city with the radio blaring.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just finished up for the night, unfortunately the game sticks to the "raise your notoriety until the guy you're trying to kill comes out of hiding" formula even after you get through the 8 hour "tutorial" setting everything up. I don't really mind the formula but its annoying when the missions take place in the same cut and pasted warehouses... Only to go back to the cut and pasted warehouse you just cleared out to do a slightly different version of "go in and kill guy".

Gunplay is great, driving in simulation mode is awesome, stealth is serviceable though if you have any situational awareness ever, you can stealth entire missions incredibly easy just by running up to people, knifing them resulting in a stagger for all surrounding enemies so you can knife them too.

If you don't mind repetition, go get this, but unfortunately for me this feels far too much like a Ubisoft open world game. I'll still go through it though because I want to know what happened to Joe and Vito.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Game just crashed, so that's not good. Also the 30fps thing is annoying, but official word is that a fix is coming soon, hopefully during the weekend, so clearly not something to linger on.

Presentation so far is fantastic. Voice acting is real good, soundtrack is outstanding, and the developers clearly have a great respect for the touchy racial tones. That opening text will have the reddit splergs implode, I'm sure.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I fixed the vaseline textures for my 970. It actually looks pretty good now.

Depth of Field: OFF
Motion Blur: OFF
Resolution: 1920x1080

And then the vital part is opening up nvidia control panel and setting global DSR to 1.5x. The texture sharpness scales really weirdly in this game with resolution.

Edit: By the way, you can totally mess around with the video settings while in-game but that feature doesn't unlock in the options menu till you get past the initial tutorial, which is the possibly the strangest game development decision I've ever heard of. What...Why?

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 7, 2016

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Jesus, just realized that this game doesn't sync your saves to Steam. That's about the easiest steamworks integration you can get in a game and they haven't even bothered to do that.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
but at least you can kajigger it to make you blast klansmen at sixty frames per second

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

real_scud posted:

Jesus, just realized that this game doesn't sync your saves to Steam. That's about the easiest steamworks integration you can get in a game and they haven't even bothered to do that.

Sadly a lot of games still don't use steam cloud.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Alexander DeLarge posted:

If you don't mind repetition, go get this, but unfortunately for me this feels far too much like a Ubisoft open world game.

At least you can do the area intel stuff from the ground instead of having to climb a huge tower.

Olavi
Aug 8, 2013
Played four hours, with a friend who bought it for ps4.. and I'm so bored with the game that I could cry.. It's really mediocre open world shooter, with very little to do. The story is ok, but the presentation is really lacking of intensity. The difference to the past Mafia games is that I really am not interested to see how the game ends due to the half baked gameplay and presentation.. Too bad.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Just peeking in really quick to ask:

I saw mention of doing brutal takedowns in a super quick tutorial--supposedly by holding the melee/takedown button, but that only seems to do normal takedowns? Are there specific conditions for it? What am I missing?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

There's some nice details I really like about it. Like the GPS system, I feel that should be an industry standard, much more subtle than having a yellow line stretch over your screen.

There's also a nice cutscene when you fail a story mission that I thought was a pretty smart way to handle non-canon deaths.

There's also a nice little soundbyte I discovered by accident. I drove around with a character who was in the middle of a speech, and when I busted up another car he stop talking (as is usually the case in these kind of games). But then he said "where was I", and started talking again!

Clearly nothing that would guarantee a solid game, but there are nice work of detail all around.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

There's also a nice little soundbyte I discovered by accident. I drove around with a character who was in the middle of a speech, and when I busted up another car he stop talking (as is usually the case in these kind of games). But then he said "where was I", and started talking again!

GTA V does that but it weirdly only is in some conversations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

GTA V does that but it weirdly only is in some conversations.

I did not know! Thought this was a first. It's a nice detail, whenever it's used.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

BigglesSWE posted:

I did not know! Thought this was a first. It's a nice detail, whenever it's used.

Uncharted 4 does it as well. It's still a newer feature, but like you said, it's a really appreciated one.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The more impressive thing GTA pulled off was the different conversations you had when you were killed or failed a mission.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://steamcommunity.com/games/360430/announcements/detail/814414713567158759

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played about an hour. I usually don't notice low framerates unless I can directly compare so the 30fps wasn't too bad. It's a bit annoying but it would be worse if I had something to compare it to. I'll play some more after the patch to see if it's worth keeping. I did like some of the details though like gators eating dudes you throw in the water.

Some things I don't like: Where's all the on screen indicators of what's going on? In the first mission, it would pop up saying what radio station I was listening to, it no longer does that. What's the speed limit? Where's the speed limiter? It was a major feature of the previous two games. How do I know what car I'm in? Previous games would pop up something saying the brand and model of car. I don't see that anywhere in this game.

I'll wait for the patch, see how people like it and then play a bit more I guess.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Morter posted:

Just peeking in really quick to ask:

I saw mention of doing brutal takedowns in a super quick tutorial--supposedly by holding the melee/takedown button, but that only seems to do normal takedowns? Are there specific conditions for it? What am I missing?

Ended up answering my own question after dumbly attempting to do a few:

You have to hit someone with melee first, and then do a follow up hold-and-release of the melee button

I don't remember them saying 'After a melee attack' in the other brief pop-up.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

drunkill posted:

Pro Tip: Turn on Simulation driving in the settings for Mafia 2 style cars, I've been driving with a controller sometimes (if the drive is like more than a kilometer/40 seconds away and it feels [i]so]/i] good.

H is holster weapon, I is batman/vietnam vision, C is carhorn, Shift is look backwards, V is change camera in car. Ctrl is cover, you can switch cover by pressing the direction first then tapping Ctrl to swap from one side of the door to another etc. Vaulting/climbing is spacebar, obviously.

gently caress the framerate, those controls are the real dealbreaker. I play GTAV using M&KB on foot and then when I get into a vehicle I pick up my controller and it flawlessly switches and works. Anyone know if this does as well?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

gently caress the framerate, those controls are the real dealbreaker. I play GTAV using M&KB on foot and then when I get into a vehicle I pick up my controller and it flawlessly switches and works. Anyone know if this does as well?

Yes

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cojawfee posted:

I played about an hour. I usually don't notice low framerates unless I can directly compare so the 30fps wasn't too bad. It's a bit annoying but it would be worse if I had something to compare it to. I'll play some more after the patch to see if it's worth keeping. I did like some of the details though like gators eating dudes you throw in the water.

Some things I don't like: Where's all the on screen indicators of what's going on? In the first mission, it would pop up saying what radio station I was listening to, it no longer does that. What's the speed limit? Where's the speed limiter? It was a major feature of the previous two games. How do I know what car I'm in? Previous games would pop up something saying the brand and model of car. I don't see that anywhere in this game.

I'll wait for the patch, see how people like it and then play a bit more I guess.

Bottom left of the screen has pop ups for both the radio and car make. The speed limiter was literally the first control I looked for in the key bindings when I started and was incredibly disappointed. I don't even think red lights get you noticed by the cops.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Bottom left of the screen has pop ups for both the radio and car make. The speed limiter was literally the first control I looked for in the key bindings when I started and was incredibly disappointed. I don't even think red lights get you noticed by the cops.

That's where the radio was originally but it no longer does that. I tried looking for a setting that I might have changed but there's nothing. Maybe it just glitched or something. Oh well, I'll see after the patch. I don't want to put too much time into this so I can still get a refund if I need to.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How important is having played Mafia 1 and 2 for getting the story? This game looks right up my alley, but I read that the protagonist of M2 is a major character.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not at all. He's a washed up mafioso or fanservice, that's the only difference.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Booooooo!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
I just got a new rig and I'm so used to 76 fps by now that playing at 30 feels super gross and stuttery. Aiming sucks. I hope they fix this soon, because the core game is pretty awesome

Also, use DSR at like 1.5, makes the game much prettier.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
yeah my biggest problems are the keyboard control scheme and the lack of a mafia 2 style driving mode

however the package is so slick and the guns feel so good that ill deal

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Afraid of Audio posted:

yeah my biggest problems are the keyboard control scheme and the lack of a mafia 2 style driving mode

There is a "simulation" option in the game settings that makes cars handle closer to Mafia 2. No speed limiter still, I think though.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
ill have to try it but having to adhere to driving laws or having the cops chase you was really cool in 2

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

fadam posted:

How important is having played Mafia 1 and 2 for getting the story? This game looks right up my alley, but I read that the protagonist of M2 is a major character.

If it follows the style of Mafia 2, a minor reference at best. At the end of Mafia 1, you get a cutscene. At the end of Mafia 2, you take part in the cutscene from Mafia 1. I've only played an hour but so far the only reference I've gotten is "This money is from Scalleta" and the main character of the last game was Vito Scalleta.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

Oh man we got an old-timer - sorry for misunderstanding you sensei.

Oh, that's the game we're playing! OK, my turn:

"gently caress off sonny, adults are talking here."

Xeremides posted:

You listed 3 games from 3 different genres, and the one where fps matters the most, the first person shooter, supported 60 fps. Hey, Doom 2016, Mafia 3 and Furi when it first released! One supports 165 hz, and the other two only support(ed) 30 fps! The standard on PC gaming clearly isn't 60 fps.

When the tech can support 60 fps, the devs generally support 60 fps, even on consoles:

http://www.giantbomb.com/60-fps-on-consoles/3015-3223/games/

Or just a straight up list:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26920-Games-with-3D-graphics-running-at-60-fps-5th-Generation-Consoles

Which is why it doesn't make sense for Mafia 3 to be locked to 30.

Now that I'm back at work, I can't access those sites, but I did look at the sega-16 one - one thing I noticed about that list was that there were a hell of a lot of "can do 60fps at one point, otherwise not"-type entries. And I've never been a console player, but I'm suspecting it's not a list of mostly FPS games, so they're not the genre in question and can thus be discounted.

All I did was pick three big-name "should be up to the 60fps standard of 1996" PC games from this listing that I recognized as needing more graphical oomph than Zork: Nemesis, for instance. (Also ones I've either played or seen played - I've no idea how hard SimCopter would have pushed the video card's capabilities, for example.)

"The standard on PC gaming clearly isn't 60 fps." Really? Let me refresh your memory here:

Xeremides posted:

If the game was experiencing 30 fps fluctuations, it means they didn't optimize the game. Again, that falls on them, as developers. The hardware is there. Plenty of poo poo hot devs manage to make their games run at 144 fps no problem out of the gate on PC. Plenty of indie devs manage to release their games with 60 fps support on release. What is it they have that this dev team lacks? Experience? Know-how? Manpower? Whatever it is, it's a failure on their part, not on PC gamers for "being elitist" or whatever. 60 fps is the minimum standard and has been for decades. Just because your standard is lower because your hardware is worse doesn't mean a completely different platform needs to abide by it.

The *ability* to hit 60fps does not make it the *standard*, especially 20 years ago.

I started this line of commentary because I thought you might br frothing a bit, especially given the "standard for decades" bit. (Over-the-top frothing goes to Kontradaz, though. :golfclap:) But, maybe I missed the FPS Holy Wars of the early-to-mid-'90s, maybe I'd learn something new... or maybe not. Please keep defending your hill against the drat dirty low-FPS-havers, however, you're doing a fine job! :thumbsup:

Sounds like control issue will be the killer for me anyway, if the early comments are any indication. Maybe I should go ahead and try Mafia 2, sounds like the cops will chase you for traffic infractions other than hitting cop cars or pedestrians? Always thought that kind of thing should be modelled, actually.

Edit - ahahahah, I looked at the Giantbomb link quoted above - an unsourced, undated wiki (?) entry that pretty much says "welp, 60fps is the standard" and that's about it.

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 7, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Ahahahahaha! And it's poo poo.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I like the game so far, and the 30fps cap doesn't bother me. I prefer 60 of course, but I don't mind 30 as long as it is consistent and my framerate has been consistent. I've had several crashes so far, but it was almost always at the end of a cutscene so it hasn't been particularly disruptive so far. The characters are decent, the story is interesting enough, I like the open world stealth stuff, and the gunplay and driving are totally competent. I imagine the game will get repetitive pretty quick because the setting only allows for so much progression/gadgets/etc.

Edit: What is the deal with "orbiting" cover? I remember a popup about it but I don't remember how to make it do. Will "orbiting" let me go around corners while staying in cover?

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 7, 2016

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

This game changes the backlight color of my mouse and keyboard to match the stealth alert status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

60fps is a ps4 pro exclusive.

Also I accepted the delivery from amazon and took off the shrink wrap oh no what have i done

• Locked thread