Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

"This is my army of 1000 Fimireich, they believe in the purity of their people and will nobly fight to protect them from the ravening hordes of lesser creatures. Their banner is a tetraskelion, an old jainist symbol that resonates with them"

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Speaking of Ral Partha, has anyone ever actually played Chaos Wars? I have a bunch of their minis coming to me in the next week or so for a project but I had just intended to use them for Kings of War.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

potentiallycool posted:

Spotted at the university I work at.

Age of Skubmar.

That pretty much sums the situation up.

http://pbfcomics.com/20/

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Given that, in general, I actually like most of BT's goofy art style (I like Macross also, so this isn't a stretch to begin with), I figured I'd give Sarna a skim, put my money where my mouth is.

Here's the list of BT fighters I'd call good:
Chippewa
Corsair
Cutlass??
Firebird??
Koroshiya?
Morgenstern
Picaroon
Poignard
Yun
Wusun??
Typhoon
striga
sparrowhawk??
shikra
shade
schrack
sagittarii
sabre
rusalka
rondel

Anything with a question mark next to it is one I'm unsure about.
So I guess pre-3050 there's a small amount, but most of what I'd consider good ends up in the more modern bits of work.
I've yet to comment on stuff like dropships, jumpships, or warships though.

On a more thread related (vaguely) topic, I've tried Infinity, and I'm going in on Ariadna Caledonians.
It's like Necromunda, but without true LOS rules. And a lot of rules for things like camo.
One of our resident Infinity gamers at the local gaming club has joined a Necromunda campaign playing spyrers (I was controlling Van Saars, and it cost me 7 dudes to take down one Orrus, just because he actually had an armour save - this wouldn't have been an issue in infinity). He seems to have mixed feelings about it, but is enjoying it so far.

And thanks to having lasguns, I was able to thoroughly abuse pinning rules for most of the game to keep his other (sadly only half-molested) Orrus temporarily at bay.
GW rules are seriously hosed up.
I'm convinced Infinity is the better ruleset, but lacking in a Necromunda-style campaign game, which leaves me playing both to cover both bases.
If I can ever manage to get some cash together for Deadzone, and that turns out to have a better campaign system than Necromunda, *and* a better ruleset, I am totally going all in. Once I pick a faction.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
The issue with campaign rules is that they must not cripple losers/favour winners too much, lest the campaign devolve into a bunch of death/win spirals.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Arcadia Quest is a game with good campaign rules that specifically try and negate snowballing effects while still giving advantages to winning encounters.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I always thought federation ships with separate engineering and nacelle sections looked kind of ridiculous until the battle fleet shot at the end of DS9 series 5 where they actually all look really threatening and awesome. The smaller ships that are disk and nacelles look good though. And the warbirds are a good design.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Iceclaw posted:

The issue with campaign rules is that they must not cripple losers/favour winners too much, lest the campaign devolve into a bunch of death/win spirals.

Having played Mordheim as well, I agree with this.
In Mordheim I suffered from a wierd death spiral (I'd lose games a lot, and then have a semi decent post-game, with the exception of having to replace the henchmen here and there).
In Necromunda, I feel it's a little kinder (barely), as It's all heroes, and no henchmen, so you're more likely to have interesting things happen.

But in both cases, once one player has a tearaway, everyone else is left playing catchup, or has to do some really sneaky poo poo to rebalance the scales.
Even with the community edition rules.
You need an active guy controlling the campaign and setting limits to fix GW's bullshit for it to really work.
Also a degree of self-awareness and some degree of "I will try to win but not be an rear end in a top hat about it" from everyone involved. Which you'd think would be a given :v:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

mcjomar posted:

On a more thread related (vaguely) topic, I've tried Infinity, and I'm going in on Ariadna Caledonians.
It's like Necromunda, but without true LOS rules. And a lot of rules for things like camo.
One of our resident Infinity gamers at the local gaming club has joined a Necromunda campaign playing spyrers (I was controlling Van Saars, and it cost me 7 dudes to take down one Orrus, just because he actually had an armour save - this wouldn't have been an issue in infinity). He seems to have mixed feelings about it, but is enjoying it so far.

And thanks to having lasguns, I was able to thoroughly abuse pinning rules for most of the game to keep his other (sadly only half-molested) Orrus temporarily at bay.
GW rules are seriously hosed up.
I'm convinced Infinity is the better ruleset, but lacking in a Necromunda-style campaign game, which leaves me playing both to cover both bases.
If I can ever manage to get some cash together for Deadzone, and that turns out to have a better campaign system than Necromunda, *and* a better ruleset, I am totally going all in. Once I pick a faction.

Necromuda is probably my favourite game by GW, but it suffers from needing enough players to form a campaign and a tonne of scenery to play properly. Plus there are always people who want to play Van Saar or Spyrers, who gently caress things up for everybody else across a campaign. The progression kind of makes no sense - it's not uncommon for somebody who has never fired a shot to get a +BS advance, and after one game I had 4 or 5 people all roll Initiative, which is kind of useless except for pinning/particular situations. I really recommend using the community ruleset from Yaktribe, if you're not using it, it does a lot to kerb some of the more stupid design decisions and balances out some of the skill tables so shooting gangs don't completely dominate.

Infinity is incredible, and I'm glad I eventually got into it. I think there's a kinda-campaign system using Spec Ops troops, but haven't really investigated as we've only run short-term swiss leagues at my club.

Deadzone is more of a pick-up-and play game, but it's a lot of fun, the rules are pretty solid and easy to learn, and games are quick enough to get two done in the same time it takes to play one game of Necromunda. I've not tried the campaign system in it yet, so can't comment on it.

Iceclaw posted:

It's also really difficult to stop situations where one person wins the actual game and their opponent "wins" the post-game, with better advances/equipment etc., which is really common in Necromunda.

hexa fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 7, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, in this campaign I'm the Van Saar player, and my first round opponent was the Spyrer player. Armour saves are basically god in this game, and lasguns are the best gun ever.
The campaign group is 7 people, and we play by rounds rather than just playing as many games as we want.
So we'll probably play enough rounds to fight eachother either once or twice, and then finish up with a mega game.
The campaign organiser decided it that way so we wouldn't have a runaway gang by the end of it. We're also using the community rules, rather than the original rules or LRB stuff.

I've got to admit, I've played Van Saars for years, and I've mostly been on the losing end, usually only barely staying positive (or sometimes reasonably lucky) on the post-game stuff, while my dice luck during an actual game is horrific - case in point, that first round game.

I managed to jam a shotgun, a lasgun, an autogun, and nearly jammed a few other guns too, failed repeatedly to kill the weakest melee character my opponent had with my chainsword/plasmapistol leader (before he got taken out of action, having killed precisely no-one), and repeatedly flesh wounded one Orrus, but failed to actually down it repeatedly due to the armour those things have.
I only "won" by taking the *other* Orrus out of action with a lucky poo poo from my only remaining ganger's lasgun, while my heavy somehow duelled my opponent's Yeld to a standstill.
He failed the bottle roll, while I avoided bottling.

I "won", and promptly got 5 credits for my troubles from my only ganger capable of checking territories, having rolled a 1 on the dice for my only dice-roll territory.

Most of my gang somehow survived, although I now have a frenzied/stupid juve, and I got a couple levelups for one ganger and the headwounded juve.
My leader now has flak armour though.

My opponent got plenty of experience, and levelled up lots of characters - the one Orrus guy I took out went from random to super tough melee death blender thanks to his exp boosts from murdering my guys.
Necromunda is apparently both fun, and terrible, all at once.
Armour is OP?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

mcjomar posted:

We're doing an Infinity narrative campaign right now, a home-brew thing that I cooked up for the players in our local meta. And it addresses the issue that Iceclaw noted, where it avoids the power spiral so common to campaign games. Each player/faction has a special rule or ability that is tied to the use of Command Tokens, so it's a finite resource and using it impacts your other abilities in-game (i.e. if you use a Command Token to power your special ability, that's one less you have to reform Fireteam links or power Coordinated Orders). It's really more about the story than about the "power ups" of the forces over time. Game 10 is getting played tomorrow afternoon. We'll probably do a grand total of 15 games before we wrap, declare a winner, and come up with a new campaign.

If you're interested in our system, I'm throwing together a PDF for how it all works.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Which are controlled by three of the bridge crew using track balls

:vince:

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

I like to imagine a Macross multiplayer co-op game where one guy gets to pilot the awesome transforming spaceship, while the rest plays an overproduced version of Pong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doresh posted:

I like to imagine a Macross multiplayer co-op game where one guy gets to pilot the awesome transforming spaceship, while the rest plays an overproduced version of Pong.

I'm imagining like a Voltron style robot made of individual body parts each controlled by a different person... with a trackball.

They'd trip and die instantly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Synchronized swimmers would make for amazing teams for Voltron robots. It would make for a good sports show too.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm imagining like a Voltron style robot made of individual body parts each controlled by a different person... with a trackball.

I can see the guys behind Surgeon Simulator and I Am Bread making just that.

(Though I guess they would have you control the hand that controls the trackball.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Zaphod42 posted:

Mobile Suit QWOP.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Yvonmukluk posted:

Mobile Suit QWOP.

I wonder how well Voltron would work in Kerbal Space Program. Most people will probably already give up at the combining part.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Xarbala posted:

I intellectually know that, but it's serious enough culture shock that it never really sank in on a subconscious level so the thought keeps bubbling back up.

I'm probably weird because I dislike the vast bulk of sci fi ships.

Some of the dropfleet designs are cool though.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Break out your wallets, bring forth your offerings and prepare to sacrifice your first born upon the altar of the Resin Mechanicus.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Legio-Titanicus-Titan-Maniple

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

£2,850

looool

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That's not even a very good anagram from manpile

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

there go ma nipples again

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Synthbuttrange posted:

£2,850

looool

That's ok, by next week it'll be about $US10.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Games Workshop models are the absolute worst. The owner of the FLGS got all the GW AoS Ograrians and decided to use them in a pickup game of Kings of War since he'd never played it before. The models made the game nearly unplayable as you can't get models near each other because of all the crap sticking out. They're just not practical for playing a game. Truly terrible.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
I knew that Orcs are now Orruks, but srsly. Ograrians? What are Goblins called these days? Goblorions?

These GW naming conentions are starting to remind me of Sonic fan characters.

Duwarfians
Elfirions
Humanies
Halfians

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Doresh posted:

I knew that Orcs are now Orruks, but srsly. Ograrians? What are Goblins called these days? Goblorions?

These GW naming conentions are starting to remind me of Sonic fan characters.

Duwarfians
Elfirions
Humanies
Halfians

I have no idea what the Ogres are actually called. I just thought of the dumbest thing I could.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Atlas is being facetious, they're called 'Ogors'. (Goblins are 'Grots').

Also Atlas is being apocryphal as most of the Ogre minis are fine, only a few of them overhang bases and they tend to be characters or the large monsters.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I like the simplicity of the plastic ogre kits, and for a while they were good value.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Zark the Damned posted:

Also Atlas is being apocryphal as most of the Ogre minis are fine, only a few of them overhang bases and they tend to be characters or the large monsters.

The Mammoths specifically, which I believe are new for Age of Sigmar. They are poo poo.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Mammoths specifically, which I believe are new for Age of Sigmar. They are poo poo.

You mean the Thundertusk? It's been around for a while.

Yeah it's dumb, it looks like the lovechild between a baboon and a mammoth (the "trunk" is a weird chin armor).

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Zark the Damned posted:

Original race (do not steal).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I really like the mammoth kit. But I also really like the mammoth kit for Skorne...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It took me an absurd amount of time to find those loving mammoths on the GW site. My God is it impossible to use on a mobile device.

So yes I guess they are Thundertusks. They are awful busy models that your eye can't lock onto and they're useless on the table.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
In GW's defense, I don't think a miniatures gallery necessarily needs to be optimized for phones.
Not so much in their defense, the site's shittiness is platform-agnostic.

S.J. posted:

I really like the mammoth kit. But I also really like the mammoth kit for Skorne...
Considering its base overhang, the :airquote: Thundertusk :airquote: is almost an honorary Skorne model.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Wasn't the Thundertusk always it's name? I'm pretty sure it was. I had one of those kits a few years back.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

Wasn't the Thundertusk always it's name? I'm pretty sure it was. I had one of those kits a few years back.
Yeah, the kit makes the Thundertusk and Stonehorn. Those names haven't changed. Yet.

I always liked the Stonehorn model because the idea of a monster whose flesh is peeling off as its skeleton turns to stone is pretty rad and kind of spooky.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wizard Styles posted:

In GW's defense, I don't think a miniatures gallery necessarily needs to be optimized for phones.
Not so much in their defense, the site's shittiness is platform-agnostic.
Its bad for sales, not even considering the gallery function. I tried to find the Thundertusk and I found it impossible. Won't even come up when you search for Ogor/s.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
The 'model parts sticking out so far' problem has existed for a long time and GW aren't the only ones guilty of it. PP had models whose bits stuck out further than their model could reach in Mk2. It's the only reason why GW's 'measure from the model' rules for AoS made partial sense. But nobody likes constantly nicking their paint job so nobody measures from the model. Even the most diehard, GeeDubs can do no wrong types measure from the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
The only thing Ogres have got post-AoS are new names and round bases. This saddens me, I'm morbidly curious to see how GW would redesign them and gently caress them up.

• Locked thread