Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Pick posted:

Much as the case for the African lion, protecting the family is the one goddamn thing that women expect men to loving do

Maybe he saw an opportunity to be rid of his wife with an outmoded gender bias and his nagging kids huh? Did you ever think it was the man trying to live a new free life??

edit: also actually isn't it the mom lion who does the protecting and the dad lion who sits around and occasionally hunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pick posted:

Much as the case for the African lion, protecting the family is the one goddamn thing that women expect men to loving do

yeah let me try to punch the poo poo out of two people with guns that will end well

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

My skinny rear end isn't protecting anyone but I'll at least hang around just to keep up appearances.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
i get that he couldn't have done anything, but the wife seems more upset that he thought first of himself and while maybe that's not fair it's hard to blame her for feeling like that's lovely

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Charles Get-Out posted:

edit: also actually isn't it the mom lion who does the protecting and the dad lion who sits around and occasionally hunts

No.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Nancy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 26, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

i get that he couldn't have done anything, but the wife seems more upset that he thought first of himself and while maybe that's not fair it's hard to blame her for feeling like that's lovely

Yeah it's something where it's technically the rational decision but you probably didn't think that through in the two seconds before you ran.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Some people's brains just stop functioning completely in any sort of emergency situation. I guess he went into flight mode while she stayed calm. Gender roles aside, if you've ever been in any sort of emergency situation where you are the calm one and everyone else is in a panic stupor it can be really annoying because you have to try to deal with the emergency and chill them out at the same time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If it'd been me I woulda grabbed my gun and defended my wife and then the intruders probably would have shot her and then I'd have shot them and this is why it's not always a good thing to have/use a gun.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah it's something where it's technically the rational decision but you probably didn't think that through in the two seconds before you ran.

His explanation is totally a "justifying after the fact" thing for him choosing the flight option when his flight or fight response kicked in.

But that's totally normal. I get why she's upset, it does look like he chose his own skin over his family, but to be honest, most people are gonna do that.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
The unbelievable part for me is that two armed intruders forcefully broke in at 7 pm while everyone in the family was home and awake, then proceeded to hold the family hostage while they stole a laptop and the TV. Home invasions are rare enough to be newsworthy, and I can only imagine how awkward it must be to steal a TV. Does one guy cover the family while the other guy awkwardly lifts the TV by himself and tries to work the door without dropping it?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

There was a guy who worked murders/serial killers for the FBI and his advice was ALWAYS RUN EVEN IF THEY HAVE YOUR FAMILY.

His basic reasoning was that 1) you, James Mcskinnyass are not going to do poo poo, 2) There is no difference between murdering 2-3 people to killers, and 3) once you escape you start a clock in their heads and they are much more likely to abandon everyone at that point.

Also never go with people to a secondary location.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
Some people are just cowardly bitches when the adrenaline hits.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WampaLord posted:

"What if they had shot me or my sons?"

Lady, if they wanted to, you'd all be dead. Life isn't an action movie, he couldn't have done anything other than add another corpse.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

lol that dude saw an opening and took it

Way To Go Wampa, you should totally follow WampaLord around and agree with all of his posts, this was fun

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Dial-a-Dog posted:

The unbelievable part for me is that two armed intruders forcefully broke in at 7 pm while everyone in the family was home and awake, then proceeded to hold the family hostage while they stole a laptop and the TV. Home invasions are rare enough to be newsworthy, and I can only imagine how awkward it must be to steal a TV. Does one guy cover the family while the other guy awkwardly lifts the TV by himself and tries to work the door without dropping it?

TV's nowadays can easily be picked up with one arm and carted off, source: I've moved too many of my friends this year also I'm a TV bandit

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There was a guy who worked murders/serial killers for the FBI and his advice was ALWAYS RUN EVEN IF THEY HAVE YOUR FAMILY.

His basic reasoning was that 1) you, James Mcskinnyass are not going to do poo poo, 2) There is no difference between murdering 2-3 people to killers, and 3) once you escape you start a clock in their heads and they are much more likely to abandon everyone at that point.

Also never go with people to a secondary location.

Yes but have you thought about how this man's life is worth less than the wife's evaluation of him as a man? Bet you didn't.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Moon Atari posted:

Some people's brains just stop functioning completely in any sort of emergency situation. I guess he went into flight mode while she stayed calm. Gender roles aside, if you've ever been in any sort of emergency situation where you are the calm one and everyone else is in a panic stupor it can be really annoying because you have to try to deal with the emergency and chill them out at the same time.

To be fair, I don't think she was super calm and calculating either. She straight-up says "I was in panic mode and told my child to hide instead of run out the nearby door." Seems a little unfair she admits to following instinct but won't accept that her husband did the same. I'll admit it does sound like she kept a bit more of a level head though.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

loquacius posted:

Way To Go Wampa, you should totally follow WampaLord around and agree with all of his posts, this was fun
I was gonna post again but then I saw WampaLord posted again and I got selfconcious :ohdear:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

This works for me.

one shining steel rail
Sep 8, 2005

e: nevermind

one shining steel rail fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 7, 2016

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
She didn't mention the thieves taking any money either. You've gotta figure once you've upgraded your breaking and entering to multiple counts of assault and kidnapping you'd at least go for the obvious extra of robbing the people present

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

one shining steel rail posted:

Me [27F] in a relationship with [36M] for 8 YEARS. just found out he's living an entirely separate life WITH A FIANCE.

this one has some potential

Was posted already a couple of pages back

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dial-a-Dog posted:

She didn't mention the thieves taking any money either. You've gotta figure once you've upgraded your breaking and entering to multiple counts of assault and kidnapping you'd at least go for the obvious extra of robbing the people present

Eh this bit kind of makes sense. If you're breaking and entering with firearms you don't wanna stick around too long. Grabbing a few obviously-pricey items like a laptop and a tv makes more sense than waiting around for a panicked woman to dumbly with her wallet or a safe combination or something.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

CodfishCartographer posted:

Eh this bit kind of makes sense. If you're breaking and entering with firearms you don't wanna stick around too long. Grabbing a few obviously-pricey items like a laptop and a tv makes more sense than waiting around for a panicked woman to dumbly with her wallet or a safe combination or something.

Also thieves are typically very afraid too and probably also not thinking rationally. It's super common to see them sight and take just the most "valuable looking" stuff in a room.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
People stupid enough to break in to a home when the family is there, people stupid enough to break in during waking hours, people stupid enough to barge in with no plan at all...

...I too would be very leery if they had guns.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

Mom lion does the hunting. Dad lion does the babysitting and protecting.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

phasmid posted:

People stupid enough to break in to a home when the family is there, people stupid enough to break in during waking hours, people stupid enough to barge in with no plan at all...

...I too would be very leery if they had guns.

Yeah, assuming it did happen, and I really don't believe it did but whatever, people crazy/high enough to do that would also be v dangerous, especially to a guy who shouts "there are intruders" when his house gets broken into

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
There are intruders! Is the part that stuck out to me, sounds funny. Like video game dialog

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Redmanred posted:

Some people are just cowardly bitches when the adrenaline hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u1cbZTwBx4&t=10s

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

DOMDOM posted:

My cat is in a beautiful carved box on my desk because he loves to nap there while I wrote.

Please... Don't do this to me... :sad:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DOMDOM posted:

There are intruders! Is the part that stuck out to me, sounds funny. Like video game dialog

If only he had shouted "enemies everywhere!" before fleeing instead.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
There's a film about this situation called 'Force Majeure' except it's an avalanche situation and the dad picks up his phone and runs away from his wife and kids. He uses almost exactly the same excuses as the dude in the robbery story, and the woman has a very similar emotional response to the situation.

It's a Scandinavian film so it's pretty minimalist and slow, but it does have big gingery Tormund out of Game of Thrones in it so that's good.

I found it pretty interesting, as a lot of people here have said there is still the onus on the man to be the Hero in events like this.

My partner and I have discussed this sort of thing and we agreed that in the event of a fire or whatever we would generally try to save ourselves if we were separated or get to the nearest exit and hope that the other did the same. Whether or not I would be able to do this in a panicky situation I'm not sure, but my partner is very logical and I'm pretty sure he would.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There is nothing more romantic than a man getting himself pointlessly killed to prove he's a protector.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

There is nothing more romantic than a man getting himself pointlessly killed to prove he's a protector.

Yea, alternate-universe version of that post is "My husband charged at home invaders and got killed. Then they killed us too due to panic about leaving witnesses, so I'm not even alive to post this."

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
There's actually a really funny Louis episode kinda like this where a high school kid is loving with Louis C.K. and his date in a cafe. The kid starts trying to pick a fight with Louis and he doesn't fight back so his date loses all interest in him immediately.

Later on Louis goes to the kid's house and ends up consoling him on the front porch while his parents have a huge fight in the background.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I would rather stand my ground at the minimum than abandon my son and wife to a gunman.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Glenn Quebec posted:

I would rather stand my ground at the minimum than abandon my son and wife to a gunman.

That's fine. It is your right to make an emotional decision instead of a rational one if you so chose.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Glenn Quebec posted:

This is a really bad plan as it wouldn't let you milk sympathy from other people if your wife and kid are murdered imo. Instead you might be the one murdered and then your wife and kid would be the ones getting all that sweet sweet sympathy attention.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rondette posted:

There's a film about this situation called 'Force Majeure' except it's an avalanche situation and the dad picks up his phone and runs away from his wife and kids. He uses almost exactly the same excuses as the dude in the robbery story, and the woman has a very similar emotional response to the situation.

It's a Scandinavian film so it's pretty minimalist and slow, but it does have big gingery Tormund out of Game of Thrones in it so that's good.

I found it pretty interesting, as a lot of people here have said there is still the onus on the man to be the Hero in events like this.

My partner and I have discussed this sort of thing and we agreed that in the event of a fire or whatever we would generally try to save ourselves if we were separated or get to the nearest exit and hope that the other did the same. Whether or not I would be able to do this in a panicky situation I'm not sure, but my partner is very logical and I'm pretty sure he would.

Yeah, if it's your partner than they should basically be up to saving themselves in that scenario. But I don't really think that's a fair standard to put on a one-year-old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I [24M] am shorter than my girlfriend [22F] when she wears heels and she refuses to wear anything but heels.

quote:

Alright, so this is going to sound super petty but I think it looks weird when a girl is taller than the guy she's with. Normally it's never a problem for me. I'm 5'10" and the girls I've dated always happened to be around 5'3"-5'6". This girl I'm dating now though, is 5'8". It wasn't a problem when we first met because she was wearing flats and I was wearing boots, so I didn't even think about it.

Now that we're dating, she constantly wants to wear heels anytime we go anywhere. Now she's towering over me and I hate it. When we first went out I didn't want to start off on the wrong foot so I didn't say anything except for just "Wow. You're tall. Alrighty then." And now it's been two months and she's still doing it. I've spoken to her about it, saying that I hate how it makes us look and she keeps saying it's fine and that I'm being stupid for thinking it looks bad. What do.

tl;dr: Girlfriend wears high heels. I don't like her being taller than me. I feel de-feeted. Looking for a sole-ution.
People like this make me feel less insecure :allears: