Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

poop dood posted:

Good lord, 1:1 on a Martini? I drink mine 2:1 and that's rich for most people's taste.

You'd think that, but this is the recipe we've had written up multiple times as "the best martini in america". It is really good.

E:

syntaxfunction posted:

Right, so I think I might skip it in that case. Where I live sucks for anything that's not cheap booze, so Dolin has to be ordered in. So I might pick it up after I grab everything needed for the rest of the drinks. You guys are super helpful, thanks.

Dolin is $15-16 a bottle in DC, where liquor is generally expensive. It is the definition of cheap booze.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
No poo poo. Guess I'll have to try it out.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
50/50s with orange bitters for life.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Highly recommend going with a barrel aged old tom, then again this is from a whiskey drinker so make of that what you will.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

Dolin is $15-16 a bottle in DC, where liquor is generally expensive. It is the definition of cheap booze.

It's AU$30 here, same price as Noilly Prat. I can pick it up but like I said, it needs to be ordered in. I don't think you quite understand how little poo poo I can easily get in my area. Anything that's not Bundy Rum or huge brand spirits (Jameson et al) has to be ordered in, if I can even get it. For some reason they'll order in Dolin Blanc, but refuse to do Dolin Dry. I don't loving know. Having said that, a bottle of Dolin won't exactly kill me budget, so I can probably chuck it on the list.

Lokee posted:

Highly recommend going with a barrel aged old tom, then again this is from a whiskey drinker so make of that what you will.
Related to the above, I can get Hayman's Old Tom easily, that's it. I'm not sure if it's aged or not.

The only place local to me that has any sort of range is Dan Murphy's, a huge chain. Other than that it's little liquor stores that stock premixes and standards like the aforementioned Bundy. Dan Murphy's has some neat stuff you can order, but if they don't have it I'm basically poo poo out of luck.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Don't tell an Australian person how expensive liquor is where you come from because i understand it's incredibly bad there

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I didn't realize I was talking to an aussie, im sorry for your loss

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

syntaxfunction posted:

Related to the above, I can get Hayman's Old Tom easily, that's it. I'm not sure if it's aged or not.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I didn't realize I was talking to an aussie, im sorry for your loss
Yeah they don't make a barrel aged version unfortunately, though the regular old tom is rock solid. I live in Michigan so I use a fair amount of this stuff. Maybe you could order some? I have no idea how mailing booze works tbh.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
So the ice I make in my freezer is really cloudy. I tried boiling the water a couple of times first but it didn't really make a difference. Then I came across this. It looks fantastic, but it's a little on the expensive side.

Are there any good tricks to making solid, clear ice? I wouldn't mind buying an ice machine but most of the home ones I've seen look like they spit out lovely pellets.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Bubz posted:

So the ice I make in my freezer is really cloudy. I tried boiling the water a couple of times first but it didn't really make a difference. Then I came across this. It looks fantastic, but it's a little on the expensive side.

Are there any good tricks to making solid, clear ice? I wouldn't mind buying an ice machine but most of the home ones I've seen look like they spit out lovely pellets.

How are you on freezer space? There's always the Liquid Intelligence "Igloo cooler full of water" method.

Even putting ice cube trays into some sort of insulated container may get you clearer ice.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
I'm trying to figure out a cocktail that I had once, about five years ago and it's driving me nuts. Can anyone put me out of my misery?

It was in a Japanese/sushi restaurant (in Lafayette, LA if that helps...) and I think it had sake, plum wine, possibly ginger and/or honey and served in an old fashioned glass.

It was called something like a Cherry Blossom, but it's definitively not what comes up in a Google search for cocktails called that. :confused:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Wouldn't hold out much hope for the tape deck. Or the Creedence.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I have to run my water through a Britta filter to get nice looking ice at home because the water quality is garbage here so that's always worth trying if all else fails

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Kind of in a bit of a cocktail rut. I generally only make 4 things at home:
Sazerac Variation
Too-many-ingredients cocktail that is similar to a Vieux Carré
Spicy Mezcal Margarita
Less commonly a rum drink like Dark and Stormy

Any ideas to vary things up? I have a pretty wide bar. Bottle of Maraschino I've had trouble using. No gin though, I like all sorts of botanicals, but I think it's the Juniper itself that bothers me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I see you like whiskey and herbal flavours; have you never tried a Manhattan, Boulevardier, or Left Hand? Start with those.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Speaking of the Sazerac, are Peychaud's Bitters a requirement? I only have a small bottle of locally made bitters. I already have rye and absinthe, guess I should just buy some Peychaud's? Is it noticeably different from angostura bitters?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Yes, they are very different and can't be used interchangeably.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Despite both supposedly being based on gentian and including some of the same ingredients, they're very different. Angostura is so "Christmas spice" you can make egg nog with it. Peychaud is more floral and (to my taste) has notes of sour cherry and a lot of anise.

I've replaced Ango with Peychaud's in some drinks, but it's a deliberate choice, not because my hand rested on that bottle first! (I like Peychaud's in a Planter's Punch.)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cool, thanks! Looks like I'm picking up a bunch of bitters this evening.

Excited to make baby's first absinthe cocktail. :cheers: Gonna need more rye, though..

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Gonna try making the Flaming Bishop punch Kenning posted about a while back. It's for a Mad Max theme party. Hope it's more :perfect: and less :mediocre:. It sounds like it would be a good choice for a chilly outdoor fall party.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Bubz posted:

Then I came across this. It looks fantastic, but it's a little on the expensive side.

I'm pretty sure that thing is just a finished, nicer looking, more expensive version of this

I actually have been doing this method at home for years and it works great.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I like to add a tiny bit of Peychaud's to cheap sparkling wine. It doesn't really go in everything like Ango, more limited use IMO.

I've drinks like those before. Not a big Vermouth person, I got some Carpano Antica, the good stuff, kept it in the fridge, it was good but not worth the hassle I think.

I like the idea of a batched Manhattan bc the higher ABV retards the oxidation of the vermouth. Maybe I'll give that a go.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Comb Your Beard posted:

I like to add a tiny bit of Peychaud's to cheap sparkling wine. It doesn't really go in everything like Ango, more limited use IMO.

Hey so I work at a fairly modest golf club mostly stocked with cheap wine and beer and a few nice things but no cocktails and for some reason we got delivered a box of peychauds and I've been trying to come up with some creative uses for it so thanks for the pro tip on this

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Also at some point please try a 1:1 Plymouth Gin/Vermouth Martini with Orange bitters and an expressed/discarded lemon peel. We've converted a lot of the "I'll have a Martini and by Martini I mean 'Gin Up' crowd" using this recipe because it is really good and it's actually a Martini.

What vermouth would you suggest in this?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Two Worlds posted:

What vermouth would you suggest in this?

I'd bet dolin dry. Or maybe vya extra dry

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I love me some Vya

Rotten Cookies posted:

Gonna try making the Flaming Bishop punch Kenning posted about a while back. It's for a Mad Max theme party. Hope it's more :perfect: and less :mediocre:. It sounds like it would be a good choice for a chilly outdoor fall party.

The real trick with Flaming Bishop is the fireworks. I always grind up a mix of cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and cardamom very finely so I can make really nice fireballs by dramatically tossing it into the flaming rum. I also strongly suggest having some very high-proof rum for the fire bit so that you don't burn off all of your booze. I make mine in my crock pot. It'll be nice outdoors for sure. Whenever I make it everyone gets sleepy but we usually have it inside.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The Flaming Bishop went over amazingly well. People went nuts over the flames and spice flare. I handed the bowl of spice around and eople took turns throwing some in. And it kept everyone warm and drunk. I might add a bit more cider next time I make it, though. It was a bit strong for some people and the temperature brought out the alcohol more. Even still, it all went.

Good stuff. Punch rules.

Someone asked what the hell was in the punch, pointing to the clove-studded orange. I lied and said they were a weird variety called Penance Oranges. A couple people picked up on it and kept the lie going all night.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Comb Your Beard posted:

I like the idea of a batched Manhattan bc the higher ABV retards the oxidation of the vermouth. Maybe I'll give that a go.

Boy, does it ever. My significant other/endless booze supply batched up some Manhattan for a competition and it stayed good for months in the fridge.

That was a dangerous period, readymade cocktails just sitting there for effort-free drinking.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Wasn't someone talking about making real flips the other day? This https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/swift45/the-loggerhead-reviving-a-classic-cocktail-in-mode/description popped up in my feed. I don't know if I'd back it, as I am fairly sure if I cared enough I could produce a reasonable facsimile from my local hardware store.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

slut chan posted:

Wasn't someone talking about making real flips the other day? This https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/swift45/the-loggerhead-reviving-a-classic-cocktail-in-mode/description popped up in my feed. I don't know if I'd back it, as I am fairly sure if I cared enough I could produce a reasonable facsimile from my local hardware store.

Stainless steel will have a clean taste but is not threat at fast heat transfer.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I want to make drinks for thanksgiving but I'm also cooking so I don't feel like making individual drinks. Is there a killer holiday punch floating around out there I should know about?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
You could probably start here: (idk if any of these would be specifically holiday-recommended)

Kenning posted:

The bolded ones are the strongest recommended (although they're all fantastic).

Admiral Russel's Punch, cognac and sherry.

United Service Punch, black tea and Batavia arrack.

Limmer's Club Gin Punch, gin, soda water, and orange blossom syrup.

Pinkhouse Punch (neé Kenning's Punch), Irish whiskey and barley wine.

Boston Club Punch, champagne, pineapple, raspberry syrup, and the kitchen sink.

Frank Forester's Punch, cognac, green tea, champagne, and Gran Marnier.

Regent's Punch, champagne, pineapple syrup, green tea, rum, cognac, Batavia, oh my.

USS Richmond Punch, rum, cognac, ruby port, black tea, and soda water.

Gowanus Club Punch, gin, green tea, pineapple syrup, soda water (and a dash of Chartreuse!).

K&A Orange Punch, cognac and Seville oranges.

Glasgow Punch, Jamaican rum (and maybe jaggery sometimes).

Punch B, brandy, Bordeaux, and blood oranges.

Flaming Bishop, rum, unfiltered apple cider, oranges, cloves, and fire.

Lost Souls Punch, Calvados, Belgian-style quad, and absinthe.

Why you should make punch.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Lost Souls Punch is really very autumnal, it's probably what I'll make for Thanksgiving.

Rotten Cookies posted:

The Flaming Bishop went over amazingly well. People went nuts over the flames and spice flare. I handed the bowl of spice around and eople took turns throwing some in. And it kept everyone warm and drunk. I might add a bit more cider next time I make it, though. It was a bit strong for some people and the temperature brought out the alcohol more. Even still, it all went.

Good stuff. Punch rules.

Someone asked what the hell was in the punch, pointing to the clove-studded orange. I lied and said they were a weird variety called Penance Oranges. A couple people picked up on it and kept the lie going all night.

This sounds awesome! Glad you had fun, it's a super festive punch. If I recall correctly, I added the boiling water to mine last time to smooth it down and mellow out a bit of the booze heat and sugar sweetness. Goes down a treat!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

We just put a Lion's Tail on the menu at work and I'm really digging it; extremely simple but tasty fall flavors. We're basically doing a daiquiri build with 1.5oz bourbon, .75 lime, .5 simple, .25 allspice dram, and a couple dashes of angostura. Apparently it's a classic but it's one I had never previously heard of

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

We just put a Lion's Tail on the menu at work and I'm really digging it; extremely simple but tasty fall flavors. We're basically doing a daiquiri build with 1.5oz bourbon, .75 lime, .5 simple, .25 allspice dram, and a couple dashes of angostura. Apparently it's a classic but it's one I had never previously heard of

I've never heard of it either, but this is perfect since I just bought a new bottle of bourbon and have had some allspice dram I haven't known what to do with lately. Thanks!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Kenning posted:

Lost Souls Punch is really very autumnal, it's probably what I'll make for Thanksgiving.
I'm building a skeleton that pukes punch into a cauldron of dry ice for my halloween party this year. Lost Souls seems like a good punch to recirculate through that but I may need to double the recipe, have you ever tried subbing Lairds in for some or all of the Calvados?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've only ever made it with Calvados. If you wanna use Laird's it could work fine – as long as you use the bonded. The applejack is mostly neutral grain spirits with some apple brandy to give it the lightest touch of flavor, and it will really get lost in a punch. Were you just looking to sub out for cost reasons? Because Laird's Bonded is around the same price as, if not a little pricier than, the Calvados that I usually use for it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Kenning posted:

I've only ever made it with Calvados. If you wanna use Laird's it could work fine – as long as you use the bonded. The applejack is mostly neutral grain spirits with some apple brandy to give it the lightest touch of flavor, and it will really get lost in a punch. Were you just looking to sub out for cost reasons? Because Laird's Bonded is around the same price as, if not a little pricier than, the Calvados that I usually use for it.
Just lazyness, I have a bottle of Calvados and a bottle of Applejack but getting a second bottle of cavlados would require a drive across town. I'm thinking about doubling the batch now though, so I suppose a trip will be in order anyway.

I made this punch out of one of Jeff Berrys books last weekend, and despite being one of the simplest many people told me it was their favorite I've ever made.

32oz Pineapple juice (Average size ripe pineapple will usually give me almost exactly a quart)
750ml bottle of gold Puerto Rican rum
4oz fresh lime juice
2oz falernum

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Trump's new hotel just opened in DC today.

They also offer "by the crystal spoon" literal spoonfuls of wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

makes me mad for a few reasons, one of which is that i didn't come up with the idea of putting a $100 cocktail on a menu called The Benjamin