Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Is UW the "best" build for spirits? I've been thinking of building this recently too and am curious how well the decks that splash green for noble/Coco or a black for lingering souls work. Also, how is Geist here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Limited seems fun, I just killed my opponent on turn 5 by going turn 3 foundry inspector, turn 4 attack for 3, multiform wonder, turn 5 attack for 8, combustible gearhulk, flipping a total mana cost of 11.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

You can open 14th pick draft commons in MTGO treasure chests?

Some of them are treasure chests, some of them are just chests. One of the slots is 98% chance standard common/uncommon, one of the slots is 79% chance standard common/uncommon. Because what the tournament prizes needed was additional variance until the bots figure out a price for the chests. Also I just now read that they're making the chests tradable in mid-November instead of literally right now, thanks WotC.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Mef989 posted:

Is UW the "best" build for spirits? I've been thinking of building this recently too and am curious how well the decks that splash green for noble/Coco or a black for lingering souls work. Also, how is Geist here?

Geist is controversial. The biggest problem I've had playing Spirits is that you can't close it out fast enough and they top deck something more powerful than what you are doing, or they draw pieces to get their combo back online after you disrupt it. Geist is a fast clock, but he makes your best matchup worst, and your bad matchups a bit better. Spirits does really well against Jund decks, and going the Espers style makes it even better with Lingering Souls. Geist is terrible against Jund though because they can beat him easily on the ground. Meanwhile he's great against decks like Tron, or decks that rely on spot removal to keep control of the game. He's also oddly good against Burn and Infect. You have enough early game disruption (not with your list with the double Cryptic command) that you can get stable against those decks, or that they have to slow down and respect your Mana Leak and Wanderer, and also have to respect the fact that you operate at mostly instant speed. But slowing them down doesnt help if you can't close out the game quickly.

Thats the biggest problem of the deck so far, you will get in a good position, but your clock is like 1 Rattlechains or Selfless Spirit, and they draw out of it and kill you. Sometimes you get the Drogskol Caption out and it's all good, but opponents prioritize killing him very highly. Because the deck has problems finishing quickly i like Mana Leak vs Remand, because your opponent is likely to have time to recast whatever you Remand. The deck I seem to have the most trouble with is Elves, and I"ve started siding in Wrath of God for that matchup, (which is a nice bit of combo with Selfless Spirit).

One little combo that I like about the Espers style build is that Lingering Souls are a lot better with a Lord in Play, and further Wanderer gets double buffed when you cast Lingering Souls. Sometimes swining in with your 2 5/5 Wanderers is pretty nice after you cast souls then flash it back.

As far as Vials or not goes. Well when I lose games, it's typically cause I tapped out to play threats on the table and not hold back counter magic. But Vial is a bit worse in a deck where you have to get it up to 3 pretty often to get the most powerful plays out of it.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 7, 2016

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Some of them are treasure chests, some of them are just chests. One of the slots is 98% chance standard common/uncommon, one of the slots is 79% chance standard common/uncommon. Because what the tournament prizes needed was additional variance until the bots figure out a price for the chests. Also I just now read that they're making the chests tradable in mid-November instead of literally right now, thanks WotC.

Dude, do you understand how much work it is to program tradeability into a MODO object?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

Dude, do you understand how much work it is to program tradeability into a MODO object?

My gut reaction is that it is just a toggle, so you could just set an object to "tradable" or "untradable". But I thought about this, and it might really be that the MTGO devs have two seperate object lists, one tradable and one untradable, and each object list is in a different programming language.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

anglachel posted:

Spirits Advice

This is an awesome write up. Thank you for typing it up. I think you've at least convinced me to have Geist in the board. That sounds like the place to get the most out of him. In the Esper build, is the splash solely for the flashback on souls or do you run any other black cards. The only deck on mtg goldfish's meta breakdown has Zealous Persecution in the side which looks good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hellsau posted:

My gut reaction is that it is just a toggle, so you could just set an object to "tradable" or "untradable". But I thought about this, and it might really be that the MTGO devs have two seperate object lists, one tradable and one untradable, and each object list is in a different programming language.

It's sounds more likely there's some kind of coding with regard to how the boxes are generated, e.g. how the system generates the internal contents of sealed product that's tradeable or something.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm certain it has nothing to do with implementation and is actually that they don't want people trading them because they want people opening them so they can verify that the system is working correctly.

If the become a defacto currency and get traded around a bunch instead of opening, they won't have enough actual data from opened chests to confirm that their output matches their expectations.

Working on a game that sells crates to players, while we have the programmatic rarity system, we gut check that by actually logging the contents of each opening to ensure there isn't some anomaly / to track the actual real world #of items in existence.

Given this is the first time they've implemented a rarity system like this I would imagine they are looking to effectively beta test the system before making it traceable so they know everything is functioning correctly.

They might also want to gently caress with the rarities once they see that the chests are putting out too many/few force of wills or rishadan ports or whatever because actual use didn't match their projections.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Mef989 posted:

This is an awesome write up. Thank you for typing it up. I think you've at least convinced me to have Geist in the board. That sounds like the place to get the most out of him. In the Esper build, is the splash solely for the flashback on souls or do you run any other black cards. The only deck on mtg goldfish's meta breakdown has Zealous Persecution in the side which looks good.

Zealous Persecution is a great side card, cause so far my worst matchup has been Elves. They just go off quickly and are very resilient to counter magic, and the disruption that you can do. I splash it mostly for Lingering Souls flashbacks and to make it when I play a Dismember less painful. A single Watery Grave and Godless Shrine should be more than fine for your black splash. I've been debating on playing Painful Truths as well. Some versions play Steel of the Godhead so that might be worth it for the life link. Mirror Entity is also worth considering, he can turn your flashbacked Lingering souls into 4 5/5 fliers late game and you can protect him with rattlechains and your Captain.

Oddly enough I've won every game against Infect. Wanderer just gives them fits because it taxed them one mana which makes it difficult for them to just for it to kill you, and Moorland haunt means you can throw chump blockers all day long. So long as you save removal for the Unblockable dude your okay. The goal vs Infect is just get them to spend cards. If they want to trade an Infect creature or Inkmoth for one of your spirits let them. The most dangerous play is when they try to do a single creature and just slowly swing into you with Hierarch Buffed creatures. But this is usually slow enough that you can start getting some answers online.

Wanderer is actually my MVP of the deck. Sense the threat of you saccing him makes people play more conservatively, and there's all kinds of interesting tricks you can do once you have him and Rattlechains into play.

Dredge is another really bad matchup, I would side plenty of graveyard hate. Rest in Peace is your colors but it will turn off your Moorland haunt.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 7, 2016

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Sigma-X posted:

I'm certain it has nothing to do with implementation and is actually that they don't want people trading them because they want people opening them so they can verify that the system is working correctly.

If the become a defacto currency and get traded around a bunch instead of opening, they won't have enough actual data from opened chests to confirm that their output matches their expectations.

Working on a game that sells crates to players, while we have the programmatic rarity system, we gut check that by actually logging the contents of each opening to ensure there isn't some anomaly / to track the actual real world #of items in existence.

Given this is the first time they've implemented a rarity system like this I would imagine they are looking to effectively beta test the system before making it traceable so they know everything is functioning correctly.

They might also want to gently caress with the rarities once they see that the chests are putting out too many/few force of wills or rishadan ports or whatever because actual use didn't match their projections.

for(int i=0; i<2000000; i++){
create_crate(i);
open_crate(i);
}

That should be a good test.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

anglachel posted:

Zealous Persecution is a great side card, cause so far my worst matchup has been Elves. They just go off quickly and are very resilient to counter magic, and the disruption that you can do.

Fair decks without sweepers are always going to have a really hard time against elves.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I've heard that you can crew Vehicles with other Vehicles, but it turns out you can crew Vehicles with themselves, as long as they are untapped and have already been crewed that turn. Why would you do this? Mainly to save your Vehicle by casting Select for Inspection on it. If your opponent uses a kill spell on your Vehicle before you try to attack with it, or you were going to block and they try kill it or have a combat trick after you block with it, you can paradoxically cram a train into itself in order to tap it so you can bounce it.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
This is a really good mechanic I'm glad they made it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

I've heard that you can crew Vehicles with other Vehicles, but it turns out you can crew Vehicles with themselves, as long as they are untapped and have already been crewed that turn. Why would you do this? Mainly to save your Vehicle by casting Select for Inspection on it. If your opponent uses a kill spell on your Vehicle before you try to attack with it, or you were going to block and they try kill it or have a combat trick after you block with it, you can paradoxically cram a train into itself in order to tap it so you can bounce it.

i heard you like trains so i put the train you are on in the the train you are on so you can be on the train while you're on the train

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lets Pickle posted:

For epic mtgo self pranks

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

I love Magic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
You will be not surprised to learn that today's development column alludes to them being surprised that Smuggler's Copter was so popular.

How do these loving people have jobs?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
It dies to removal, what's the big deal?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

You will be not surprised to learn that today's development column alludes to them being surprised that Smuggler's Copter was so popular.

How do these loving people have jobs?

I wonder what degree of changes could have brought the card goes from 'format-warping auto 4-of' to 'just good card that aggressive decks want'. Remove the "or blocks" clause to the loot condition? Go further and make it "When ~ deals combat damage to a player"?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

80s James Hetfield posted:

It's a 2 mana 3/3 flying looter who cares if it gets killed?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I feel like the copter cost 3 mana or was a 2/2 for most of development and nobody played it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It would probably be fine at 2 power.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm actually unironically glad that every colour gets access to excellent filtering for a bit.

Also man I thought it would be good there but Spell Queller is a loving house in Knightfall and exactly what that deck needed, Eldritch Moon was a fantastic shot in the arm for that deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Copter isn't overpowered but it might make the format boring since every deck can play it.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
My pre-release sealed league opponent round 1 played against me:

-Aetherstorm Roc
-Dovin Baan
-Nissa
-Rashmi
-Cataclysmic Gearhulk
-Dovin Baan (Foil)

It was not a fun match. G1 I tried to play super defensive and gum up the board so he died to having drawn his entire library.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think it's weird red doesn't get looting anymore, but an efficient colorless card does.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Did red ever have card-advantage neutral looting?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I think it's weird red doesn't get looting anymore, but an efficient colorless card does.

I really like red's "draw a card, sort of, but use it or lose it this turn!" mechanic.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

80s James Hetfield posted:

They made removal terrible

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

does this paragon of card quality count

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

Legacy all-star Tibalt definitely counts.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Plenty of one-offs, a couple repeatable effects that were random, and one repeatable where discarding was the cost instead of part of the effect.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can you give examples? They still give red rummaging if that's what you mean.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

nm

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

tibalt plus 1 into discarding another tibalt is the most powerful play you can make in any game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe Tormenting Voice/Reunion is as powerful a rummage effect as they'll print, but I'd like to see one with a scry tacked on. Just to make me feel less bad about discarding lands early.

E: there's no way to make the scry resolve before the discard, if the discard is part of the cost, right?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 7, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Maybe Tormenting Voice/Reunion is as powerful a rummage effect as they'll print, but I'd like to see one with a scry tacked on. Just to make me feel less bad about discarding lands early.

E: there's no way to make the scry resolve before the discard, if the discard is part of the cost, right?

Unless Scry 1 was part of the cost, no

also i imagine having scry 1 as a cost would break something or another so that's probably not gonna happen

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
You could word it "scry 1, then discard 2. Draw 3."

E: although if you're hellbent then it just becomes draw 3 so that's not ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TimNeilson posted:

You could word it "scry 1, then discard 2. Draw 3."

E: although if you're hellbent then it just becomes draw 3 so that's not ideal

the easist way around that is to word it like "Scry 1, then discard 2 cards. If you do, Draw 3 cards."

• Locked thread