Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's worth knowing that that YouTube video was funded by the rail interests in Australia in lieu of making road/rail crossings safer. I forget the cost tradeoff between making the video and putting in modern crossing equipment, but it was substantial.

Bullshit. Prove it. Link your sources if you're going to make such outrageous claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

nigga crab pollock posted:

red light cameras are an oppressive enforcer though. they are pretty deeply flawed. without changing the system there's no way to prove that the person driving the car was the person issued the license for the car

In NZ, cameras just ticket the vehicle, ie the owner. No demerit points are awarded since they can't prove (or rather don't care) who was driving, it's your car and the fine is applied to it unless you can show it was stolen.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
A living, breathing human should have to catch me breaking the law, drat it. It's not sporting otherwise.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What about robot cops?

I'm thinking a buggy software ED-209 chassis mounted on a car body.

(it will function perfectly until dirt on the camera triggers the auto defence mode and it assumes everything in sight is hostile)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nigga crab pollock posted:

red light cameras are an oppressive enforcer though. they are pretty deeply flawed. without changing the system there's no way to prove that the person driving the car was the person issued the license for the car, not only that but false positives are pretty common at least in my experience. like they might appear to be useful to stop dickheads but in reality those people just put 'anti-glare' covers on their license plates and run red lights anyways leaving you to get hosed because your car was sitting at the white line as they run it.

and of course its the police department so you want to fight it? get hosed! its only a $70 ticket :colbert:

Chicago is currently in the midst of the lawsuit regarding that issue (among other things) regarding red-light camera issued citations that could end up costing the city $200M in refunds.

I know in the 'burbs, most villages and towns have removed their cameras. In some cases it's because the red-light camera contract was costing more than it generated in revenue, and in others it was because they illegally shortened the yellow light duration in an effort to increase the infraction rate.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

MrYenko posted:

The problem is that 90% of the roundabouts I've driven through in the US are seemingly designed to look pretty, and not to be effective as a traffic flow device. There are a LOT of US traffic designers that just don't "get" roundabouts.

There's a suburb nearby (Dublin, Ohio) that really loving hates commuters and keeps doing things to discourage through traffic. In the past they've broken up alternative through streets, but lately they've been replacing intersections with roundabouts, too. Mysteriously, the roundabouts in the core of the suburb work just fine while those on the edges are complete pieces of poo poo and I hate them.

It may be because they made suburban intersections into roundabouts, saw that they worked, and decided that radius worked for all conditions so they used the same plan on the country highway half a mile out. Then they slapped down a second roundabout right before that one.

I like roundabouts when they're thoughtfully designed, but so often they're used as "traffic calming devices" ie "gently caress you drive somewhere else." And since this is America, driving is the only option so they're really just "gently caress you."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Roundabouts with traffic lights are my favorite things

gently caress you Washington DC

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Platystemon posted:

Second picture is a bandaged hand; first picture is a mangled hand.

That man's hand will permanently be giving the "shocker" sign. Also (strangely enough) your ring finger is the second most important for grip (thumb most important). I learned this when Jason Pierre Paul, who plays for the Giants, blew off his index finger in a fireworks accident. Apparently the index finger is the least important for grip strength.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Whooping Crabs posted:

That man's hand will permanently be giving the "shocker" sign. Also (strangely enough) your ring finger is the second most important for grip (thumb most important). I learned this when Jason Pierre Paul, who plays for the Giants, blew off his index finger in a fireworks accident. Apparently the index finger is the least important for grip strength.

It could also be that grip strength is not a limiting factor for throwing a baseball.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It could also be that grip strength is not a limiting factor for throwing a baseball.

It's the other Giants.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Serephina posted:

In NZ, cameras just ticket the vehicle, ie the owner. No demerit points are awarded since they can't prove (or rather don't care) who was driving, it's your car and the fine is applied to it unless you can show it was stolen.

The Swedish cameras take a picture of the driver through the windshield and then I suppose the Transport Agency manually matches the photo and registration plate, respectively, against their licence and registration records before issuing the fine. I've met the guy who was in charge of developing those cameras - Anders Wiman, also notable for developing the OLA ambulance payload that Swedish emergency services have used since probably the eighties - and he admitted to having been fined by one of his own cameras.

EDIT: That procedure doesn't make a lot of sense now that I think about it. More likely they don't match the face at all, and just let the owner of the OCRed registration plate appeal the fine if it's obviously not them (or not obviously them) in the photo upon inspection.

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 7, 2016

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Fasdar posted:

Roundabouts are amazing and are safer even when people use them incorrectly. When used well they are a marvel of cultural development. Fight me.

Roundabouts are the worst thing ever. You have to make a full lap to read the signs and they make you lose your orientation when there's no sun. I've got a good sense of direction in general, but roundabouts make me lose my poo poo.

If you live in the Twin Cities, see "Opus Circles of Death." They're not roundabouts, but you lose your orientation when you go through.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Victorian state government are currently spending several billion dollars on removing the 50 worst level crossings in the state. I've gone past some of the crossing and they're MASSIVE projects, creating gigantic underpasses so traffic can move underneath the rail lines.

I misremembered; it was the Melbourne Metro, not "railway interests". I cannot find the link that talked about the pressure the Metro was under in 2012 to upgrade level crossings.

e: See here. Between 2002-2012, Melbourne had he most dangerous level crossings in Australia, and were under public pressure to eradicate all level crossings. The response was to blame the victims, quite literally, even though the article I cite says "Naomi Frauenfelder of TrackSAFE, a rail industry initiative that seeks to reduce train network deaths, said drivers ignoring warning signs at level crossings or distracted pedestrians failing to pay attention to oncoming trains were the cause of many deaths.". So yes, pedestrians, but also a rail feature that is going to kill people because of train/person collisions.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 7, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Had an OSHA moment at work 2 days ago!

Hurricane was coming, so the owner decided to have his usual hired handyman hook up the generator in case the office was kept open on Friday and they lost power. Said handyman is an alcoholic who's already missing most of one finger from a prior accident. He noticed a tire on the generator was flat, so he started filling it up.

BANG

He overfilled it. Both hands got cut up, and the one hand with the missing finger was broken. Not the wrist or some fingers. Pretty much his whole hand was broken.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Serephina posted:

In Germany they have 2 cameras precisely so they can ticket there driver.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

More Dumb Ways to Die:
https://safedesign.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/dumb-ways-to-die-why-it-wont-work/
"Dumb ways to die, and other motivational campaigns, are based on a belief that accidents are caused by faulty personal behavior and characteristics; naughty people. This leads to advertising in order to convince people to self-correct their naughty behavior.

However accidents are actually due to random mistakes of normal people behaving normally in whatever system you have. Change the system, change the results."
https://safedesign.wordpress.com/2013/10/04/dumb-ways-to-die-still-not-working/

quote:

Like the $719 million dollars the TAC (Transport Accident Commissions) has spent on behavioral campaigns about road trauma, these campaigns can’t work because they are based on flawed theory.

If continued though for many years and decades, like TAC campaigns, they can be associated with improvements that came about through design changes. Then it can be described as “a multi-faceted solution. Actually the advertising did nothing but it looks like something because it happened at the same time as improvements brought about by other means.

Near misses at level crossings in Victoria, Australia by quarter (Transport Safety Victoria 2013)

Don't fix the dangerous design feature, change the people.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Fasdar posted:

Roundabouts are amazing and are safer even when people use them incorrectly. When used well they are a marvel of cultural development. Fight me.

Roundabouts are fine for small vehicles but they loving suck for 18 wheelers. If they are large enough for 18 wheelers (and I know of a few that are) there's still a problem of people ignoring the yield sign and jumping in front of big trucks because they can't stand waiting behind the slow truck taking products to the stores.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The response was to blame the victims, quite literally
Sounds fair to me. Trains are blameless, holy creatures.

Here's a warning device they could install: one or more pairs of steel rails, embedded in the road surface, to indicate where trains might cross.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

mostlygray posted:

You have to make a full lap to read the signs and they make you lose your orientation when there's no sun.

I don't think you're doing it right. At all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

GotLag posted:

Sounds fair to me. Trains are blameless, holy creatures.

Here's a warning device they could install: one or more pairs of steel rails, embedded in the road surface, to indicate where trains might cross.
(Back to OSHA) You do not put warning signs on steel presses. You install lockout devices.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mostlygray posted:

Roundabouts are the worst thing ever. You have to make a full lap to read the signs and they make you lose your orientation when there's no sun. I've got a good sense of direction in general, but roundabouts make me lose my poo poo.

You should really re-examine the part of your statement I've bolded. Introspection is good, and what you discover about yourself might just surprise you!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Blacknose posted:

I don't think you're doing it right. At all.

I think it's more that the implementation of roundabouts in Minnesota is lovely. Poor signage, etc. There are a bunch of roundabouts under Hwy 169 where the main route on W 78th is very poorly labeled. The road jogs around a lot and the signs are all for roads that don't go where any human being would want to go. They're also used to slow traffic instead of being useful. I understand them when 7 roads meet, but these are 4 way interchanges. A stop sign works fine.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Roundabouts at four way intersections are good, and as a Minnesota resident let me reiterate that you are just simply a bad driver.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(Back to OSHA) You do not put warning signs on steel presses. You install lockout devices.
Lock out the road, there's a car on it!

If someone gets hit by a train, they were a loving idiot. I feel sorry for their family, but the moron clearly had it coming (it being a train, presumably).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Search Houston Tram Crashes on Youtube for endless light rail/ motor vehicle hilarity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

Search Houston Tram Crashes on Youtube for endless light rail/ motor vehicle hilarity.

This is an entire Youtube genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV2rdGX4JYc

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mostlygray posted:

I think it's more that the implementation of roundabouts in Minnesota is lovely. Poor signage, etc. There are a bunch of roundabouts under Hwy 169 where the main route on W 78th is very poorly labeled. The road jogs around a lot and the signs are all for roads that don't go where any human being would want to go. They're also used to slow traffic instead of being useful. I understand them when 7 roads meet, but these are 4 way interchanges. A stop sign works fine.

And yet you think you have a good sense of direction despite being unable to figure out what direction you're going after heading north into a roundabout and then making a left turn.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pistol_Pete posted:

I remember my entire family groaning when we learned they were installing this towards the end of our time in Houston, it was such an obvious disaster

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm sorry Minnesota sucks at signage apparently

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In Russia there are lockout devices on railroad crossings. They don't always work as intended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjYMHRnOSM&t=20s

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well, he didn't get hit by the train, at least.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Pistol_Pete posted:

I think we had 1,000 collisions in two years.

:toot:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Zopotantor posted:

In Russia there are lockout devices on railroad crossings. They don't always work as intended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjYMHRnOSM&t=20s

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

"To Be Continued" doesn't pop up after he has landed and slid on the ground out of frame, 1/10

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

PhotoKirk posted:

I think we had 1,000 collisions in two years.

:toot:

They always run into the trains with such joyful abandon:

"I am the only person who counts on THIS road, bitches!"

*CRUNCH*

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Man, all this roundabout talk is booooring as poo poo.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Mithaldu posted:

It's a load-bearing spine.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Mithaldu posted:

okay but make sure you pay attention still, cuz that attitude is how accidents happen in the workplace.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Volcott posted:

It's a load-bearing spine.

Concrete (depending on quality) tends to bend slightly rather than break/crack, so impact with the spine will leave it with little to no damage. No worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
Obligatory magic roundabout picture...

Used to live near this beauty and after the terror of the first time, it's actually pretty easy to understand/use.

I won't try to explain how it works though.