Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Also - what the gently caress. I have so far received FOUR male au ra recruits. No female au ra. No highladies. One catgirl. No roegadames.

I had 5 potatos at one point. I am only now getting rid of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What exactly is this thing you're all recruiting for? I haven't run into it yet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Grand company squadrons. You have to be a 2nd Lieutenant in your GC (max rank before this patch) to unlock them, so it will probably be a while for you.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Does anyone know what happens to your squad if you switch GCs? They wouldn't be so cruel as to wipe all your progress even if you switch back would they?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Eopia posted:

Does anyone know what happens to your squad if you switch GCs? They wouldn't be so cruel as to wipe all your progress even if you switch back would they?

You keep your squad but you need to hit 2nd Lieutenant in your new GC to access the squad agian.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mordiceius posted:

Also - what the gently caress. I have so far received FOUR male au ra recruits. No female au ra. No highladies. One catgirl. No roegadames.

Lucky.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Whats the general streotype for Au Ra players?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

they taste their own poop but only for a good reason/cause

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The stereotype for all race players is "Wow! This person plays a cool race, nice!"

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I feel dumb about squadrons because it took me this long to finally realize, "Wait....I can send just 4 dps on a mission instead of the usual tank/heals/2dps?"

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Merrill Grinch posted:

I feel dumb about squadrons because it took me this long to finally realize, "Wait....I can send just 4 dps on a mission instead of the usual tank/heals/2dps?"

Between this and PoTD it seems like they are trying to edge away from the standard comp in a lot of side content.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Finally the game will devolve into the one true party composition: four healers

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Saint Freak posted:

From my newbie FC's screwing around in pre-HW dungeons, I can say that a tank and three WHM/SCH is pretty goddamned effective.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My raidfinder for SophEX finally popped last night, got five or six attempts in before people started leaving. Fun fight up to where I got (though I'm assured I didn't get to the real shitshow part of the fight) but I can't help but notice that healing it was not even remotely hard until people started loving up. Hell, healing A11 and A12 normal was a lot harder.

I assume previous EX modes weren't really like that? I've only beaten bug and whale dads, and those as DPS, not heals.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ciaphas posted:

My raidfinder for SophEX finally popped last night, got five or six attempts in before people started leaving. Fun fight up to where I got (though I'm assured I didn't get to the real shitshow part of the fight) but I can't help but notice that healing it was not even remotely hard until people started loving up. Hell, healing A11 and A12 normal was a lot harder.

I assume previous EX modes weren't really like that? I've only beaten bug and whale dads, and those as DPS, not heals.

The thing about Sophia is all healing for it kind of snowballs one way or another. If you can stay on top of it with good regen/shields Cincinnati isn't really scary and you can breeze through any tank buster. However if you mess up, say someone doesn't position right and gets a few stacks of vul, or your tank doesn't know how the swap works and the buster target retains aggro for too long or people get thrown off by the various pushes or pubbies won't stack for Black and White correctly it slowly becomes impossible to pump out heals fast enough.

Basically do the dance correctly and she's a joke but a few mistake in the middle of the fight can compound real bad.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 7, 2016

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Unrelated but equally stupid question: Is there some site that is like a Wondrous Tails calculator? I really just need odds on rerolling a 7 better than an existing 7, because that is too much combinatorics for me.

I'm pretty sure this all works right.

The button doesn't do anything unless you have exactly seven boxes marked. I'll make it not look like poo poo later.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

noice

also the scariest part of soph ex is when your high ilvl dps gets zombied and starts critting the party during the phase change

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

boy are my arms tired posted:

noice

also the scariest part of soph ex is when your high ilvl dps gets zombied and starts critting the party during the phase change

Look it was too abnormal a word to figure out how to pronounce it in our first runs so we just called it that and it's unfortunately stuck. Also yeah the zombie target going to your Gunner is pretty scary, especially since one of our best DPS players is ours and I tend to throw balances their way.

I almost killed a pubby black mage doing that.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 7, 2016

shas
Jul 27, 2011

Sophia EX feels a lot like the Shiva of this expansion in that it's totally doable by RF (and probably DF in time) and fun and not really very hard until enough fuckups snowball together

that and you can healer LB3 it and clear

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

shas posted:

poo poo you dont even need that, really

when we were learning our other tank + myself would just get chain raised and taunt off each other. the only thing remotely dangerous without cooldowns is the tankbuster, everything else is either avoidable (t2/t3), an autoattack, or cintimati, and none of those come close to killing you unless your healers were asleep

i think our first night learning it we did a full 25? 30? percent of damage purely off of chain raised tank swapping

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ilifinicus posted:

AFAIK mission affinity only affects the chemistry bonuses (it doubles it) and not your chances of receiving chemistry?

That's possible, though so far the ones I have gotten chemistry on have been the ones that match the affinity of the mission. I'll check again this evening, assuming they succeeded at it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Sinners Sandwich posted:

F: weeaboo
M: fuckboy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

boy are my arms tired posted:

poo poo you dont even need that, really

when we were learning our other tank + myself would just get chain raised and taunt off each other. the only thing remotely dangerous without cooldowns is the tankbuster, everything else is either avoidable (t2/t3), an autoattack, or cintimati, and none of those come close to killing you unless your healers were asleep

i think our first night learning it we did a full 25? 30? percent of damage purely off of chain raised tank swapping

Yeah, it's really easy for the tanks to get into a death spiral, especially if they don't know when to anticipate the tank buster. If you wait for the tell, it's usually too late.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Look it was too abnormal a word to figure out how to pronounce it in our first runs so we just called it that and it's unfortunately stuck. Also yeah the zombie target going to your Gunner is pretty scary, especially since one of our best DPS players is ours and I tend to throw balances their way.

I almost killed a pubby black mage doing that.
It is a cool word though, your group should learn how to say it properly. Preferably via Uncharted 2 :colbert:

Saint Freak posted:

Nintendo Power recommended, multi-year joke payoff confirmed.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Had a chance at 3 lines but I didn't even get two. I think I'm going to end up hating the rng o Wondrous Tails.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, it's really easy for the tanks to get into a death spiral, especially if they don't know when to anticipate the tank buster. If you wait for the tell, it's usually too late.

Sophia Ex is one of the only fights where you can have multiple "welp, tanks are dead, we're boned" moments and still pull through somehow. It's kind of fun monk tanking her as the panic slowly rises and you hope a tank gets raised and takes aggro before the next TB.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah, I called Sophia Ex "fair, but difficult" to a friend the other day. As long as you're doing what you should be, there's nothing to fear so it's completely fair. There are no surprises. The difficult part comes from relying on 7 others to do the same.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Still getting caught up on relic poo poo. Doing the grind for the Unidentifiable Bone/Shell/Ore/etc now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

8 WHM mogex parties are the best.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gally posted:

Between this and PoTD it seems like they are trying to edge away from the standard comp in a lot of side content.

I mean it's pretty easy and casual content. Standard party comp makes sense for content that is meant to be challenging or have complex mechanics because they can balance the battle around a fairly reliable range of player abilities. For simple stuff you just burn your way through or is even just plain automated? Yeah might as well just let people run in with 4 dragoons, why not.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

It'll never work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shas posted:

Protip: if your party is on teamspeak, healer LB3 just before a big tilt.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

AweStriker posted:

It'll never work.

you weren't there when white mage, priest, shaman, and healer killed chaos i guess

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hobbesmaster posted:

Protip: if your party is on teamspeak, healer LB3 just before a big tilt.

I did this by mistake in my RF yesterday

It was embarrassing but also really funny so I'm calling it a net win

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Countblanc posted:

The stereotype for all race players is "Wow! This person plays a cool race, nice!"

Except for elves.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

VHGS posted:

I'm pretty sure this all works right.

The button doesn't do anything unless you have exactly seven boxes marked. I'll make it not look like poo poo later.
You're not wrong! This not only does exactly what I wanted it to, it also looks like poo poo. I literally thought it did not work until I hit ctrl-A to see the numbers were actually there just impossible for me to see :allears:

Seriously though, the numbers seemed to match with what few probabilities I had done out by hand, the odds of better shuffle I didn't have but the row probabilities are right-looking. Can probably just make the button say "don't shuffle until seven/can't shuffle with eight" and call it a day. Big fan, thank you so much!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I play a Lalafell in part because of how mad the rest of you get over them :smugbert:.

As for squadrons, the only guideline that I've had for selecting members is to not double up on a single class. Anything wrong with doing that?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

I play a Lalafell in part because of how mad the rest of you get over them :smugbert:.

As for squadrons, the only guideline that I've had for selecting members is to not double up on a single class. Anything wrong with doing that?

I have found one chemistry that gives +10% mental stat if matched with another character of the same class. Unfortunately the guy who has it is a gladiator.

For some missions it may be easier to double up on classes to meet prerequisites. In general I think you are probably better off with characters of different classes at least until you can freely buy the class change books?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Thundarr posted:

I have found one chemistry that gives +10% mental stat if matched with another character of the same class. Unfortunately the guy who has it is a gladiator.

For some missions it may be easier to double up on classes to meet prerequisites. In general I think you are probably better off with characters of different classes at least until you can freely buy the class change books?
Can you do that? Does that require 1st Lieutenant or what? I got the one book from the level 20 mission but I don't know of another source for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The books are listed as requiring 2nd Lt rank to buy, just like the new jackets and hats. So good luck doing things the hard way first!

• Locked thread