Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

The Dave posted:

Is there a synopsis anywhere or does anyone want to be a sweet heart and write a quick one? I'm actually out of town this weekend and I'm going to miss it.

Well, we see that the scientist Bernard knows something is up with Delores but chooses to keep that a secret because he finds her fascinating, we follow a guest on his first trip into Westworld (with his rear end in a top hat co-worker), we see that memories are leaking through for Madame Maeve leading to her dramatically waking up during a surgery/maintenence check. Also, The Man in Black is digging deeper into the game and finding hidden secrets below the surface of the typical rape/kill scenarios; specifically a map of a maze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat that episode.

Dolores is absolute sentinent by now. And i think that the new storyline Anthony Hopkins is creating is about robots gaining memory and realizing what has been done to them. Also i think he is creating his life on Westworld right now, that child was totally him. I really like the rpg elements on the show.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I wasn't surprised to see hosts greeting the new guests outside of the park environment. I do wonder how widely they are used within the corporation. You can imagine a company that is talking about costs and profits trying to cut costs by using the robots for various jobs within the company itself. Presumably Anthony Hopkins is real. Are all the security detail? Wouldn't you prefer to have someone you can program to take risks and follow orders? Has the job gotten so complicated that some of the programming can only be done by computers/AI? It was probably just a comment on how reticent and socially awkward Bernard is but the head of security compares him to the robots in the way he learns to be more human. Could he be a creation? Probably not, of course. But I suspect that someone out in the real world will be. Someone within the company has to be prepared for a civil war with a cadre of backdoor programs, loyal robots, etc.

The episode seems to put to rest the Man in Black is not human and Maeve really is human questions from last week. Obviously the safe not falling on her was slapstick but seeing what they have to go through to repair them I wonder if there is a program to keep them from dismembering/squashing each other like that. I liked that they expounded on the thoughts/memes as viruses that can spread and change conscious thoughts themes from last week. And more good music with Radiohead in the middle. And I have to say that Dolores is superbly acted and that at times I get the revulsion of an uncanny valley when I watch her act. It's fascinating and a bit sinister at times.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Still not entirely interested in the story of the robots awakening and discovering themselves.

Seeing Hopkins do magic made me think that if this was a normal game, there would be probably a GameFAQ of cheatcodes out in the open already. I'll assume it's the entrance price that prevents it.

I'm most interested in the maze at this point, and William's newbie adventures. I hope to see a female guest storyline next, too.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

And I have to say that Dolores is superbly acted and that at times I get the revulsion of an uncanny valley when I watch her act. It's fascinating and a bit sinister at times.

I haven't seen the new episode but I second this. She and some of the other actors do a great job with imparting just a wee bit of artificiality into it. Just enough to make you feel a little uneasy.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Finally got around to seeing the first episode last night. Loved it. I might just break and get HBO GO for the next one.

Anyone notice they covered three styles of the Western genre in one episode? There's the romanticized John Wayne version with Teddy, Dolores, and her family in the beginning. There's the dark and gritty Unforgiven style with the milk bandits killing Dolores' family. Then there's the over-the-top 3:10 To Yuma action fest during the robbery. Hector even has the same shell jacket as one of the villains there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kontradaz posted:

Episode 2 is out.

Episode 2 is good.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
The scene where Maeve sees the host bodies just being thrown around and hosed down, and she just sinks down to her knees, was brutal.

I hope this show keeps up this level of quality.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Because I accidentally moused over spoilers, here's some info about MiB's gun. The revolver hes using is a LeMat, which sports a second barrel you can shoot shotgun shells from. You have to flip a lever at the end of the hammer to select it, so that's probably what the "weird trick" he did is.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
First episode I wasn't entirely on the bandwagon. I just kinda thought "meh". Second episode I'm totally on board. Reading all this stuff about the similarities to video game MMO's has really got me interested now.;.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Roman Reigns posted:

Because I accidentally moused over spoilers, here's some info about MiB's gun. The revolver hes using is a LeMat, which sports a second barrel you can shoot shotgun shells from. You have to flip a lever at the end of the hammer to select it, so that's probably what the "weird trick" he did is.

If anyone is interested in how the Lemat works, there's a good video on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=bjdi48QakyE

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ford uses a black hat . drat this show, it will be pure chaos. Also what does the chapel mean? I know it will be a expansion pack of sorts but the way it emphasizes the cross makes me think it will be something related to the playing god concept that Fords uses. Creepy

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 7, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Half assed prediction:At the end of the maze, that BlackHat is gunning for, he gets to become a host and live forever as a character in WestWorld. Once he is integrated into the game, he takes on Yul Brynners part.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VendaGoat posted:

Half assed prediction:At the end of the maze, that BlackHat is gunning for, he gets to become a host and live forever as a character in WestWorld. Once he is integrated into the game, he takes on Yul Brynners part.

Getting to the center of the maze let's you move to a new world. DUH

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Getting to the center of the maze let's you move to a new world. DUH

No, man.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Roman Reigns posted:

Ahhh so basically MiB has just done a bunch of extra grinding and has better gear than most other players.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
"Are you real?"
"Well if you can't tell... does it matter?"

This simple exchange just sent me into a existential black hole and now I'm in a weird mental place, please send help

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That whole scene was great. It felt like the create a character in an rpg. Also team white hat

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

"Are you real?"

This simple exchange just sent me into a existential black hole and now I'm in a weird mental place, please send help

You're avatar and text is fitting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Also god drat can you nerds not comprehend anything outside of video game contexts

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

VendaGoat posted:

Apparently the maze was created by someone called Arnold, who, according to a review in Slate, was Ford's coworker and died in the park. Also apparently if you ask Aeden "who are you"?, one of the glitches it responds with contains the phrase "Arnold will come for you."

Arnold = final boss of the maze?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

COOL CORN posted:

Also god drat can you nerds not comprehend anything outside of video game contexts

If I say 'no' will you give me a quest to gain understanding?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was about to say that that exchange reminded me of The Talos Principle, which is a dope game that I have no shame mentioning or recommending.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

...do you have real life murder sprees to relate to. :crossarms:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

meristem posted:

Apparently the maze was created by someone called Arnold, who, according to a review in Slate, was Ford's coworker and died in the park. Also apparently if you ask Aeden "who are you"?, one of the glitches it responds with contains the phrase "Arnold will come for you."

Arnold = final boss of the maze?

The Slate article made me sad - I had not read it but it sounds like episodes 3 and 4 back away from some of what I like in 1 and 2.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Liam McPoyle seems like a really good guy so far. He seems like he should be our protagonist. Though I'm only 5 minutes into the episode.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Episode 2 was great. Loved Radiohead - No Surprises on the piano.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Didn't the man in black say "I've been coming here for 30 years" and then "You could say I was born here"... Because well....Hmmmm

Also, show is great.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Phi230 posted:

Liam McPoyle seems like a really good guy so far. He seems like he should be our protagonist. Though I'm only 5 minutes into the episode.

I hope they don't go the direction I was thinking they would. Where his initial "good guy" routine atrophies and he accepts his friend's outlook on the hosts, through violence and torture.

The implications of his morality are super compelling to me. Because he seems to be coming at Westworld from this deeply introspective place, where it's not whether he can "get away" with doing hosed up stuff, but that even the performance of that stuff has meaning regardless of whether or not you accept the hosts as "real." It's not important to him if the prostitute is an actual person, because him choosing to gently caress her is "as good as" in an ethical sense, and equally hurtful to whatever partner he has at home. I assume his outlook on violence is similar...that it's not the consequences (or lack thereof) that matter, but rather the idea that this violence would be cathartic or satisfying for him.

The entire foundational premise of the park - that it's a consequence-free venue to do horrible things to real-seeming people - rests on the presumption that people must *want* to do horrible things to others. If you could do them to random strangers in real life and there were no consequences (in a legal, social, or religious sense), maybe you would. It's interesting to see a character grappling with that presumption, on essentially humanist grounds.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

COOL CORN posted:

"Are you real?"

That seems like a dangerous thing to make your lifelike robots say because it matters a lot in the context of the park lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I only got to watch the first half of episode 2 during my lunch break, but drat it was good. Can't wait to go home and finish it, the part I saw was INCREDIBLE.

Actually enjoying Liam McPoyle quite a lot in this. He does a good job of being the kinda awkward white hat, but I bet he'll change. They're foreshadowing it heavily with all that "true nature" stuff.

The conversation between Bernard and Ford was AWESOME, I could watch a whole hour of them talking about programming robots. Especially the bit about Occam's Razor, and how they were working on stuff that was so, so vastly complex, that it kinda didn't apply, and Occam would have them both burned at the stake for it. Love it. This show seriously has good writing, when almost everything else on TV has terrible writing.

I'm still convinced as hellt hat Bernard (possible big spoiler but speculation) Is trying to build a Duncan Ghola of his son

Bass Bottles posted:

That seems like a dangerous thing to make your lifelike robots say because it matters a lot in the context of the park lol

They have to walk a fine line. They want to present the illusion that they're real and you can do anything, because just shooting robots or loving robots isn't as satisfying. But then yeah, you wouldn't want guests to get too lost in the narrative and try to kill other guests.

But it does go with what the writer said in episode 1 that most people would probably prefer the robots be more robotic, just to make the whole thing more comfortable.

One thing the saloon lady made me wonder is Are guests permitted to sleep with other guests while they're in westworld? I guess they probably take a pretty hands-off approach, and only call security of people start fighting.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 7, 2016

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I'm beginning to suspect that Bernard is actually a synth. There's something to his way and mannerisms that's reflected in the slightly artificial persona and actions of the hosts. I think it'll tie into Hopkin's losing his original partner, the detached sense Bernard has from an obvious past with his son. Like some giant matrushka doll of android fuckery with Hopkins playing god to see just how far he can push the concept of 'life'

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

jfood posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that Bernard is actually a synth. There's something to his way and mannerisms that's reflected in the slightly artificial persona and actions of the hosts. I think it'll tie into Hopkin's losing his original partner, the detached sense Bernard has from an obvious past with his son. Like some giant matrushka doll of android fuckery with Hopkins playing god to see just how far he can push the concept of 'life'

Oh this just gave me an idea.

Maybe ALL of the staff except Anthony Hopkins are robots. And when they get "shuffled" off duty, they're not returning to their families, they're actually stored in the lowest level of the park. It's obvious he's not in this for the love of park building. It's an experimental lab for him.

I dunno.

There's obviously some big secret about the lower-level, and I feel like that's gonna be a big part of how they make this last 5 seasons. Like maybe the main characters will spend a lot of time quarantined underground.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think we're going to find out somebody is a robot that we don't expect, who isn't a traditional host, but I think everybody would be too far.

The way they're gonna make the show last is that after they introduce most of the sci-fi philosophy setting stuff, they'll alternate between giving us more clues to that plot and just telling cool western stories between the various hosts and guests. And as those events play out we'll find out more clues.

I'm kinda surprised Ed Harris' character is already pushing ahead so far with his story, the maze. You'd think they'd hang that back for a bit, just have some simple hijinks in Westworld first, and then introduce the crazier deep level stuff, but I'm glad that they aren't wasting time.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The show will give us tons of hints that a staffer is actually a robot. But nope: they're just a person who has autism.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

I think we're going to find out somebody is a robot that we don't expect, who isn't a traditional host, but I think everybody would be too far.

The way they're gonna make the show last is that after they introduce most of the sci-fi philosophy setting stuff, they'll alternate between giving us more clues to that plot and just telling cool western stories between the various hosts and guests. And as those events play out we'll find out more clues.

I'm kinda surprised Ed Harris' character is already pushing ahead so far with his story, the maze. You'd think they'd hang that back for a bit, just have some simple hijinks in Westworld first, and then introduce the crazier deep level stuff, but I'm glad that they aren't wasting time.

I'd almost like to think one of the controllers was just like "gently caress guys, lets not have him kill the kid. Have her say something mysterious about whatever maze thing he's talking about."

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

jfood posted:

I mentioned this earlier but certainly Theresa's treatment of him and her comment that he is practicing to learn to be a human, too, would support this though there are other interpretations. I agree that there are going to be robots among the staff that may not be obvious to us or the staff at first. I don't currently see how this will last five-seven years because I can imagine a great 10 episode series that explores the things I'd love to see. I think at some point, probably pretty early, Hopkins will probably die because he is pretty old IRL and probably isn't going to be in it for the long haul given his other work. I'm thinking it will be an early plot point with a resulting struggle for power that takes their eye off the ways the world is malfunctioning. They've already been shown to breach the facility itself but I wonder if the robots will eventually make their way into the rest of the world...

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

It's either something like that, or as another poster said, weapons grade autism on Bernard's part.

Either way, gonna be a helluva ride.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Responding to an earlier spoiler post, I'd say we haven't answered the question of whether or not Maeve is human, and that's one of the most hosed up parts of the show

on second thought, the child androids are the most hosed up part of the show, but the existential stuff is a very close second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Second episode was great, last 15 minutes had me rooted to my seat.

• Locked thread