Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lurdiak posted:

Skill Challenge: Win Internet Argument
A nerd is arguing with you on the internet. Since you are also a nerd, you must respond in kind.
Setup: To win this argument, the PC must either convince the NPC of his position, make him look foolish before his peers, or make him quit the debate in disgust, thereby winning by default.
Level: Equal to the level of the party.
Complexity: 3 (requires 8 successes before 4 failures)
Primary Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Insight, Endurance.

What do you do?
Bluff, make them quit debate in digust. If I roll a critical success, get the entire thread closed down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

User Steam reviews for Mafia III are claiming the game is locked at 30fps.

That's because it is. The developers are supposedly working on enabling 60 FPS though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i use my high bluff to feint for combat advantage to add my bonus rogue damage dice

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
the trad games subforum on here is actually really dope. I used to lurk there a lot.

Tried to get a skype of Polaris going once. It was really fun, but we never did a second session.

Polaris is really dope. I also bought the adaption of it that takes place in Muslim Iberia called "Thou Art But A Warrior", but I never played it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

I fly into a rage, making insane threats. I claim that people like him are what's wrong with society and make threats of violence and wish terrible woes upon him. Hopefully the police will come to my house. (I don't think I have any relevant skills.)

You use Intimidate:toughguy:, but it is an automatic failure.

CrashCat posted:

Bluff, make them quit debate in digust. If I roll a critical success, get the entire thread closed down

:rolldice:

You attempt to Bluff :ninja: and get a 2. :( Even your natural skill bonuses and help from other party members won't make this a success.

That's 2 failures total.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mage Knight looks p fuckin neat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

i use my high bluff to feint for combat advantage to add my bonus rogue damage dice

:rolldice:

You roll a 15 (with +3 modifier) and gain combat advantage on your computer.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I said come in! posted:

User Steam reviews for Mafia III are claiming the game is locked at 30fps.
Apparently it is and some people get stuttering when driving despite having good machines. Also supposedly the game has a strong opening but then becomes a slog after the first initial hours. I would definitely wait out this one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

A) yes it does, and B) it's reimplemented by Star Trek: Frontiers. So if you like Classic Star Trek instead of wizards, there's that.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lurdiak posted:

Skill Challenge: Win Internet Argument
A nerd is arguing with you on the internet. Since you are also a nerd, you must respond in kind.
Setup: To win this argument, the PC must either convince the NPC of his position, make him look foolish before his peers, or make him quit the debate in disgust, thereby winning by default.
Level: Equal to the level of the party.
Complexity: 3 (requires 8 successes before 4 failures)
Primary Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Insight, Endurance.

What do you do?

I counter with galtse and failing that, goatse.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Old, but check out djurre's clean sweep at 7:59 with a p90, Frickin sweet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUBkgFmCulU

If only this was played in 1.6.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

I counter with galtse and failing that, goatse.

*slams fist on table really hard*

GODDAMN IT JEFF YOU PROMISED YOU WOULDN'T PULL THIS poo poo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

A) yes it does, and B) it's reimplemented by Star Trek: Frontiers. So if you like Classic Star Trek instead of wizards, there's that.

Theyre both expensive as gently caress I imagine so I'm likely not gonna get to try either

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

Theyre both expensive as gently caress I imagine so I'm likely not gonna get to try either

Mage Knight is $60 on amazon. That's pretty much par for board game prices.

Unfortunatly, board games only go up in price over time, unless they are re-released. It's a real shame. There are some really good games that are only super expensive because they are rare.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FirstAidKite posted:

I bought this and I have never touched it :( anything Vlaada touches is great though

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am terrified by my copy of Mage Knight. It's so overwhelming.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

Mage Knight is $60 on amazon. That's pretty much par for board game prices.

Unfortunatly, board games only go up in price over time, unless they are re-released. It's a real shame. There are some really good games that are only super expensive because they are rare.

Yeah unfortunately the cheapest I've found mage knight is 56 bucks and that's still a loooot of money. I don't expect to get it for super cheap somewhere down the line, I just wish I had the kind of income that would let me be a little spendy from time to time on extravagant things like mage knight and other stuff

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FirstAidKite posted:

This is not a toy made in China.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ceci n'est pas un jeu fabriqué en Chine.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Snak posted:

the trad games subforum on here is actually really dope. I used to lurk there a lot.

Tried to get a skype of Polaris going once. It was really fun, but we never did a second session.

Polaris is really dope. I also bought the adaption of it that takes place in Muslim Iberia called "Thou Art But A Warrior", but I never played it.

I tried playing a game of VtM on the play-by-post subforum but I realized it's not my thing. Without actual people around you to shittalk and have fun, P&P RPG's are kinda boring IMO.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

I tried playing a game of VtM on the play-by-post subforum but I realized it's not my thing. Without actual people around you to shittalk and have fun, P&P RPG's are kinda boring IMO.

Yeah, play by post is hard, but getting on skype or something is a lot more interactive.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I played a few sessions of Shadowrun 4E some years ago and had a blast. First campaign I played a hacker and the only time I fired my pistol over the entire short campaign I rolled a critical success to hit, stepped out of our van and pumped a three round burst right into the last enemy. It was awesome. In a different campaign I played a primarily martial artist and while I don't have any real good fight stories, I was playing with a real fun crew of people. It's a shame the campaign just sort of stopped because our DM had just taken us into a museum of 20th century film, music and tv history and something happened with like a portal or dimension or something and we ended up visiting a whole bunch of media history like a john wayne movie set and the bridge of Star Trek TNG's enterprise. It was real fun.

Shadowrun's a good system and setting. Just never try and use grenades in 4E. You were more likely to blow yourself up using them because the table was busted.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My core group of nerdorama friends used to try and play RPGs in highschool.

Paranoia: Insanely cool and good, no combat
Shadowrun: cyber elves woop woop
Dark Sun: Cormac McCarthy's Temple of Elemental Evil
Spelljammer: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Ravenloft: :ghost:
AD&D plain 2nd edition: "what do you mean my fighter/cleric can't use that +4 Longsword i just found" :mad:

Each of those literally only lasted one session, maybe two. We got bored and would play Axis and Allies or Cosmic Encounter instead

speaking of which, I really, really wish that Cosmic Encounter Online hadn't died an incredibly slow and painful death

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do people like the audio logs in The Witness

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking about doing an obscure game/puzzle game/indie game November writeup, and it's been fun to go through all the games I have and review some of them! I'm also excited to try some in my backlog so I can review them. drat, I was really into kickstarter a few years back.....

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

No

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

I think I found like... two of them, in my entire 23 hour completionist playthrough.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think I like audio logs period.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought a couple of them worked to set the right mood but overall they + the other narrative device you may not have found yet could have been completely excluded and the game would have been better for it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i listened to all of the audio logs, in mgs5 that is. good stuff

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

The audio logs in MGSV were great, but I had a real problem with how playing and resuming them worked.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

oddium posted:

Only makes me wish we had a cutscene with the burger. God that would've been great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Archer666 posted:

Play by post makes me anxious because I get mini-writer's block and/or forget about the threads for a while and then I feel like the worst person ever for holding things up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zaphiel posted:

I'm thinking about doing an obscure game/puzzle game/indie game November writeup, and it's been fun to go through all the games I have and review some of them! I'm also excited to try some in my backlog so I can review them. drat, I was really into kickstarter a few years back.....

This sounds like my jam, sir. Weird indie titles are great fun to read about, and even occasionally play! :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Play by post makes me anxious because I get mini-writer's block and/or forget about the threads for a while and then I feel like the worst person ever for holding things up.

Play by post is just awkward. It's hard to keep momentum and roleplaying without immediate feedback for other characters turns a social activity into a weirdly compartmentalize activity.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

the trad games subforum on here is actually really dope.

It is, but goddamn do tabletop games lend themselves to some hot-rear end takes.

Everybody is fun and nice when you're talking about Kirby but for some reason tabletop RPGs make people go crazy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
just read grognards.txt

It's the best poo poo.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

just read grognards.txt

It's the best poo poo.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3098558

jesus, 2001 pages

No wonder I never finished it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Just out of curiosity, how many hit points does a newborn baby have when first born? When it comes time to make a death saving roll due to stressful childbirth, what is to be rolled against for the baby?

For example, lets assume we have a Mother whose HT is 11, and is giving birth to a child in a late TL 2 society. We have a mid-wife who is attending the mother's birthing process, so the final HT saving roll for the mother is rolled against HT+1(standard roll) +2 (TL bonus for midwife) for a modified 13 or less roll. Rolling a 15, the fates have decreed that this child should have a difficult entry into the world.

So, rolling the dice, it seems the fates are determined to be unkind, and the mother suffers 5 (correction: 10 because it is doubled) fatigue in the beginning stages of childbirth. During the final portion of childbirth, the fates are unkind again, and this time, a critical failure results. This means that instead of 2d6 fatigue damage to the mother, she suffers 2d6 x 2. Rolling an 8, we find that the poor mother suffers enough damage through childbirth, that she suffers a total of 5 + 16 (Correction: 26 fatigue not 21) or 21 points of fatigue. Since her Fatigue level is 10, she suffers a total of 11 points of damage (Correction: 16). Per the rules, any actual damage suffered by the mother, is also suffered in equal measure by the child (per LOW TECH COMPANION 1). So, at this point, the child has suffered what amounts to 11 (correction: 16) points of damage.

Per page 20 of GURPS CHARACTERS, we find that an infant has 30% of their ST (and consequently HP) plus perhaps a HT at their normal adult range, or maybe -1 overall. So, assuming a HT 10 Baby, with a ST of 3 - we have a child whose HP value is listed as 3, and HT 9. Damage of 11 points will place the child at zero points, plus -HT at 6 points of damage, and requires a second Death saving roll when damage reaches a total of 11 points. A third death saving roll is required at -16 points.

Am I doing this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GURPS

• Locked thread